Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My method of cooking and why I do it..................

Hello I am a 40ish single male, disabled and love to cook. There is a
specific way that I cook that suits me best. It is all about bulk
cooking. The bulk cooking is precooking most of the foods and freezing
them so when I want something I just take it out of the freezer and
cook it. The way that I cook, using an air fryer uses a lot less fat
an estimated 75% less fat and it makes it easier to cook my foods
gluten free.

Heres an example, I like french fries, but deep frying frencfh fries
comes with a lot of excess fat that the fries absorb as they sit in
the oil while cooking. With an air fryer a few tablespoons are used
and the food comes out just as good in most cases, better in some, and
not as good in a very few. Anyway back to the fries. I use a mandolin
to slice my potatoes a uniform thickness then use a sharp knife to cut
the individual fries. I spray some oil onto the fries, shake it up a
bit and then air fry them at a low temp so that the center of the fry
cooks. Then I take them out and let them cool, then freeze them and
when I am ready for fries I take out my order and air fry them at a
high temp to crisp them up. When I do this I start with about three
large potatoes or about three pounds, I do not skin the potatoes cause
that would just be dumb.

So I have about three pounds of frozen half cooked french fries just
ready to have that last few minutes of cooking so they can be gobbled
up.

Since they are frozen cut and precooked I can use them for other
things as well. Such as hash browns or chili cheese fries or I posted
the recipe for in and out burgers animal fries which are outstanding.

I also do this with the chicken, that I use with several different
recipes.

Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

as samwise gamgee says.... boil them, mash them, stick 'm in a stew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQVFZx7XX4
--

"There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
~Toidi Uoy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2019 6:46 PM, wrote:
> Hello I am a 40ish single male, disabled and love to cook. There is a
> specific way that I cook that suits me best. It is all about bulk
> cooking. The bulk cooking is precooking most of the foods and freezing
> them so when I want something I just take it out of the freezer and
> cook it. The way that I cook, using an air fryer uses a lot less fat
> an estimated 75% less fat and it makes it easier to cook my foods
> gluten free.
>
> Heres an example, I like french fries, but deep frying frencfh fries
> comes with a lot of excess fat that the fries absorb as they sit in
> the oil while cooking. With an air fryer a few tablespoons are used
> and the food comes out just as good in most cases, better in some, and
> not as good in a very few. Anyway back to the fries. I use a mandolin
> to slice my potatoes a uniform thickness then use a sharp knife to cut
> the individual fries. I spray some oil onto the fries, shake it up a
> bit and then air fry them at a low temp so that the center of the fry
> cooks. Then I take them out and let them cool, then freeze them and
> when I am ready for fries I take out my order and air fry them at a
> high temp to crisp them up. When I do this I start with about three
> large potatoes or about three pounds, I do not skin the potatoes cause
> that would just be dumb.
>
> So I have about three pounds of frozen half cooked french fries just
> ready to have that last few minutes of cooking so they can be gobbled
> up.
>
> Since they are frozen cut and precooked I can use them for other
> things as well. Such as hash browns or chili cheese fries or I posted
> the recipe for in and out burgers animal fries which are outstanding.
>
> I also do this with the chicken, that I use with several different
> recipes.
>
> Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....
>

> as samwise gamgee says.... boil them, mash them, stick 'm in a stew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQVFZx7XX4
> --
>

> "There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
> ~Toidi Uoy

Sam never said that - in the only true representation of the tale of
Frodo Nine-Fingers and the Ring of Doom . The writers of those movies
were "inventive" to say the least . I've read the covers off
(literally!) at least 3 sets of the Trilogy of the Ring over the last 50
or so years , and ferdamshure Sam never said that . Poetic license my
dyin' ass . Frodo Lives !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Hello I am a 40ish single male, disabled and love to cook. There is a
> specific way that I cook that suits me best. It is all about bulk
> cooking. The bulk cooking is precooking most of the foods and freezing
> them so when I want something I just take it out of the freezer and
> cook it. The way that I cook, using an air fryer uses a lot less fat
> an estimated 75% less fat and it makes it easier to cook my foods
> gluten free.
>
> Heres an example, I like french fries, but deep frying frencfh fries
> comes with a lot of excess fat that the fries absorb as they sit in
> the oil while cooking. With an air fryer a few tablespoons are used
> and the food comes out just as good in most cases, better in some, and
> not as good in a very few. Anyway back to the fries. I use a mandolin
> to slice my potatoes a uniform thickness then use a sharp knife to cut
> the individual fries. I spray some oil onto the fries, shake it up a
> bit and then air fry them at a low temp so that the center of the fry
> cooks. Then I take them out and let them cool, then freeze them and
> when I am ready for fries I take out my order and air fry them at a
> high temp to crisp them up. When I do this I start with about three
> large potatoes or about three pounds, I do not skin the potatoes cause
> that would just be dumb.
>
> So I have about three pounds of frozen half cooked french fries just
> ready to have that last few minutes of cooking so they can be gobbled
> up.
>
> Since they are frozen cut and precooked I can use them for other
> things as well. Such as hash browns or chili cheese fries or I posted
> the recipe for in and out burgers animal fries which are outstanding.
>
> I also do this with the chicken, that I use with several different
> recipes.
>
> Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....
>

> as samwise gamgee says.... boil them, mash them, stick 'm in a stew
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQVFZx7XX4
> --
>

> "There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
> ~Toidi Uoy

I'm disabled too but your way of cooking and even eating doesn't suit me at
all. I very much dislike taking stuff out of the freezer to eat with some
exceptions. If I get a large amount of ground beef for a good price, I will
cook it and stow it in individual portions for the freezer. Either with just
salt and pepper or taco seasonings. I will do the same if I get a good price
on a large package of chicken breasts but I season only with salt and
pepper, and cut into bite sized pieces. I'm not a chicken lover but it is
available for my gardener or daughter if they want it. I also freeze
individual meatloaves only because I add a ton of veggies to mine and wind
up making a lot of them. I only do this maybe once a year. If I could find a
good hominy croquette recipe with no egg in it, I would do the same. Unless
perhaps I could come up with a way to make less at one time. My old recipe
with egg made a ton at once. That's the only reason I froze them.

I used to have extreme trouble standing. Used to have to get someone to buy
groceries for me as I couldn't walk at all. Could only scoot or crawl. I
bought a barstool. I sat on it and prepped veggies for the week. We eat a
lot of raw veggies here.

When I made the pot roast earlier, I cut the veggies up and had them ready
to go in all at once. I do the same when making Pad Thai. Also get the sauce
ready ahead of times. I would never cut up things like onions or potatoes
too far in advance though but an hour or two ahead of time seems fine.

I usually keep several cups of cooked beans and brown rice in the fridge. I
cook for my gardener. Those and tossed salad are the staples of his meals. I
do keep frozen veggies for him and also some cooked meat like ham steaks and
turkey breast. He can add this stuff, cheese and whatever else he wants and
have a suitable meal if I'm not here or if I don't cook that night. I also
buy corn tortillas for him.

Tonight I made a large, one pot meal. It should be enough for two days or
more. He can add beans and rice to it as he sees fit. He seems to be less
concerned with taste and more concerned with nutrition. I dunno. This sort
of thing does seem to work for us.

I often don't have an appetite. On these occasions, I might cook some white
rice and chicken broth or slap some refried beans on a tortilla and call it
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:46:04 -0500,
wrote:

> Hello I am a 40ish single male, disabled and love to cook. There is a
> specific way that I cook that suits me best. It is all about bulk
> cooking. The bulk cooking is precooking most of the foods and freezing
> them

You're new here. So you don't know you've convinced us you're a
shittier cook and better at bullshitting than Julie AND Sheldon
combined. Now there is only one hurdle left, and that hurdle was
erected, faster, higher, stronger than any hurdle in RFC history and
costs 10X the price. While you're showed up carrying a literal 100lb
bag of krypotonite on your back (you call it gluten) while did all
it with just an impressive pocketfull of mixed nuts but at least
self-diagnosed himself fairly accurately.

So while I didn't get to congratulate you for using the "I'm so
misunderstood because I should be dead according to all the doctors,
who don't know anything anyway". That's practically the oldest
"trick" in the book (second one in the chapter "When You're Not
Feeling The Love" circa 1981. Even *I* tried a lesser version of
that and it took me 27 years to feel as if I'd redeemed myself
before the last two holdouts croaked suddenly within the last year.

So instead of telling you to "go suck a dick" as somebody here
recently said and then died, I wish best of the luck and keep up the
godo work! Which buys at least 24 more hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> Hello I am a 40ish single male, disabled and love to cook. There is a
>> specific way that I cook that suits me best. It is all about bulk
>> cooking. The bulk cooking is precooking most of the foods and freezing
>> them

>You're new here.

Well at least you got one thing correct.

> So you don't know you've convinced us you're a
>shittier cook

Have you attempted any <any at all> of the recipes that I have listed?
I seriously doubt it because if you had you would know that last line
is total BS

>and better at bullshitting than Julie AND Sheldon
>combined. Now there is only one hurdle left, and that hurdle was
>erected, faster, higher, stronger than any hurdle in RFC history and
>costs 10X the price. While you're showed up carrying a literal 100lb
>bag of krypotonite on your back (you call it gluten) while did all

Whilest I know and fully understand your level of intelligence or the
lack thereof I can fully appreciate your earnest attempt to sound like
you had a little knowledge when we first traded words, you said...

> I was scoped and snipped and scoped again and I
>didn't. I let it go.

Next time you want to describe things going in and coming out of your
ass, please for the love of all things in this universe DONT....
being as how being scoped snipped and scoped again have nothing at
all, and I mean that literally NOTHING at all to do with being tested
for a gluten sensitivity or celiac for that matter then I knew at
that point that you were pretty much one of those people who go around
talking smack and living their life as though they were gods gift to
the entire earth. There is a name for your affliction and in is called
compulsive lying. Some of my friends have it, my mother has it, and by
golly you are a confirmed case.....

Now whether or not you are ready and able to accept that you are no
superman and you do not have the knowledge of Zeus, but are in fact
quite ordinary possibly even below average means nothing and I mean
that literally IT MEANS NOTHING that has anything to do with anything
because quite frankly you are just not that important to anyone or
anything. I do realize that someone with your affliction can not fully
comprehend the things they do not know or understand so what they do
is make up lies and bullshit and them act as though they have been
certified an expert and then packaged it and slapped their stamp on it
as though they are the end all be all repository of knowledge about
it. But then some one comes along (which is me) who actually knows a
good deal about it, and has done proper research and experimentation
on it. It is in fact someone like me that can fully say with complete
confidence THAT YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHIT YOU COULD FILL AN OLYMPIC
SIZED POOL!!!

>it with just an impressive pocketfull of mixed nuts but at least
>self-diagnosed himself fairly accurately.

sense make you time next...

>So while I didn't get to congratulate you for using the "I'm so
>misunderstood because I should be dead according to all the doctors,
>who don't know anything anyway". That's practically the oldest
>"trick" in the book (second one in the chapter "When You're Not
>Feeling The Love" circa 1981. Even *I* tried a lesser version of
>that and it took me 27 years to feel as if I'd redeemed myself
>before the last two holdouts croaked suddenly within the last year.
>
>So instead of telling you to "go suck a dick" as somebody here
>recently said and then died, I wish best of the luck and keep up the
>godo work! Which buys at least 24 more hours.

When you are feeling a little less sanctimonious just do me a favor
and realize that The reason that I came in here as an ass was because
I wanted to get people like you "the theist morons" to ignore me so I
would not have to deal with you later on, but now I see my ploy did
not work because lookie here, YOU ARE STILL RESPONDING TO AND READING
MY POSTS....

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tolken (WAS: My method of cooking and why I doit..................)

On 3/22/2019 11:49 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> Sam never said that - in the only true representation of the tale of
>> Frodo Nine-Fingers and the Ring of Doom . The writers of those movies
>> were "inventive" to say the least . I've read the covers off
>> (literally!) at least 3 sets of the Trilogy of the Ring over the last 50
>> or so years , and ferdamshure Sam never said that . Poetic license my
>> dyin' ass . Frodo Lives !

> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
> together.
>
> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
> change things from the books.
> Same thing with any movie made from any book.

Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then the
'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. I still have those books on my shelves.
At least teens were reading books back then! What do they do now, tap
on smart phones?

I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books for
his son. Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at war.
The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.

Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?

And I agree, most movies made from books suck.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 10:01 AM, wrote:
> The reason that I came in here as an ass was because

Â* You ARE an ass .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 10:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 11:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> Sam never said that - in the only true representation of the tale of
>>> Frodo Nine-Fingers and the Ring of Doom . The writers of those movies
>>> were "inventive" to say the least . I've read the covers off
>>> (literally!) at least 3 sets of the Trilogy of the Ring over the
>>> last 50
>>> or so years , and ferdamshure Sam never said that . Poetic license my
>>> dyin' ass . Frodo Lives !

>> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
>> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
>> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
>> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
>> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
>> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
>> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
>> together.
>>
>> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
>> change things from the books.
>> Same thing with any movie made from any book.
>>

> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then
> the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.Â* I still have those books on my
> shelves. At least teens were reading books back then!Â* What do they do
> now, tap on smart phones?
>
> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books
> for his son.Â* Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at
> war. The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.
>
> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
>
> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.
>
> Jill

Â* Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
birthdays or Christmas .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

Apparently not, Forrest.

You'll have to get used to the fact that people here cook differently
from you and aren't interested in buying additional gear to cook things
they either don't cook or already cook by some other means. Nor are
they interested in recipes for foods that are to your taste, but
not theirs.

It's a tough sell telling someone who's been cooking for longer than
you've been alive that you know better than they do.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Sam never said that - in the only true representation of the tale of
> Frodo Nine-Fingers and the Ring of Doom . The writers of those movies
> were "inventive" to say the least . I've read the covers off
> (literally!) at least 3 sets of the Trilogy of the Ring over the last 50
> or so years , and ferdamshure Sam never said that . Poetic license my
> dyin' ass . Frodo Lives !

I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
together.

Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
change things from the books.
Same thing with any movie made from any book.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 11:39 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 10:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
>>> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
>>> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
>>> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
>>> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
>>> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
>>> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
>>> together.
>>>
>>> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
>>> change things from the books.
>>> Same thing with any movie made from any book.
>>>

>> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then
>> the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.Â* I still have those books on my
>> shelves. At least teens were reading books back then!Â* What do they do
>> now, tap on smart phones?
>>
>> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books
>> for his son.Â* Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at
>> war. The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.
>>
>> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
>>
>> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.
>>
>> Jill

> Â* Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
> birthdays or Christmas .

That's a good thing, Terry! When I was a kid I always looked forward to
getting books for my birthday or Christmas. I learned how to read at a
very young age and still love books.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 3:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?

I have a copy of the original book - friends of my parents had a son
about 10 years older than me, and I got many of the books he'd grown out of.

> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.

True.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 9:39 a.m., Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 10:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
>>> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
>>> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
>>> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
>>> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
>>> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
>>> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
>>> together.
>>>
>>> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
>>> change things from the books.
>>> Same thing with any movie made from any book.
>>>

>> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then
>> the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.Â* I still have those books on my
>> shelves. At least teens were reading books back then!Â* What do they do
>> now, tap on smart phones?
>>
>> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books
>> for his son.Â* Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at
>> war. The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.
>>
>> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
>>
>> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.
>>
>> Jill

> Â* Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
> birthdays or Christmas .

I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
luxuries but necessities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:38:06 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
> birthdays or Christmas .

My brother and sister-in-law are home schooling their two boys and they've
really encouraged them to read. Thankfully, both have shown a love of books
although the youngest one was a bit of a challenge. He didn't see the need
for it as he has YouTube and really had a tantrum. My brother pretty much
told him when he gets through ****ing and moaning to get over here and we're
going to read this book and he might as well accept it. Of course they are
just children's books but he read 2 or 3 per week now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

> Apparently not, Forrest.
>
> You'll have to get used to the fact that people here cook differently
> from you and aren't interested in buying additional gear to cook things
> they either don't cook or already cook by some other means. Nor are
> they interested in recipes for foods that are to your taste, but
> not theirs.
>
> It's a tough sell telling someone who's been cooking for longer than
> you've been alive that you know better than they do.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Nailed it!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 3/22/2019 3:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
> >

> I have a copy of the original book - friends of my parents had a son
> about 10 years older than me, and I got many of the books he'd grown out of.

My copies were printed in 1973. Certainly not originals but they
are old and yellowed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham > wrote:
> On 2019-03-22 9:39 a.m., Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then
>>> the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.Â* I still have those books on my
>>> shelves. At least teens were reading books back then!Â* What do they do
>>> now, tap on smart phones?
>>>
>>> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books
>>> for his son.Â* Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at
>>> war. The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.
>>>
>>> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
>>>
>>> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â* Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
>> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
>> birthdays or Christmas .
>>

> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
> luxuries but necessities.

Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants. I view it as an
investment in her future. I just wish shed take an interest in reading
some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 2:34 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
> graham > wrote:
>> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
>> luxuries but necessities.
>>

> Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants. I view it as an
> investment in her future. I just wish shed take an interest in reading
> some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

I was never much of a reader when I was a kid. I didn't care much for
kids books, kids movies or cartoons. I do lots of reading now, usually
at least a book a week. We made sure to read to our son every night
and he became a very avid reader. While we bought him lots of books
over the years we encouraged him to use the library.

I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
library. They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
that is really abusing a free service. They can take a few, read them,
bring them back and get some more. Leave something for other people.
People abuse the DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
had more than 2 dozen videos. That's more than three videos a day for
the one week loan period. I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:17:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-22 2:34 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> graham > wrote:
>>> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
>>> luxuries but necessities.
>>>

>> Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants. I view it as an
>> investment in her future. I just wish she’d take an interest in reading
>> some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

>I was never much of a reader when I was a kid. I didn't care much for
>kids books, kids movies or cartoons. I do lots of reading now, usually
>at least a book a week. We made sure to read to our son every night
>and he became a very avid reader. While we bought him lots of books
>over the years we encouraged him to use the library.
>
>I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
>library. They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
>books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
>that is really abusing a free service. They can take a few, read them,
>bring them back and get some more. Leave something for other people.
>People abuse the DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
>had more than 2 dozen videos. That's more than three videos a day for
>the one week loan period. I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

The art of bitching. Bitching about how many books children borrow at
the library. Unbelievable!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 10:45 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
>> Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

> Apparently not, Forrest.
>
> You'll have to get used to the fact that people here cook differently
> from you and aren't interested in buying additional gear to cook things
> they either don't cook or already cook by some other means. Nor are
> they interested in recipes for foods that are to your taste, but
> not theirs.
>
> It's a tough sell telling someone who's been cooking for longer than
> you've been alive that you know better than they do.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

<snerk>

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

graham wrote:

> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
> luxuries but necessities.

I'm gifting the local "Young Readers Club" at a local library with my collection of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan biographies...

;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> * You ARE an ass .

>> Thank you, and I am proud of it...
>>
>> But what I fail to realize is that if you are offended by my position
>> and the things that I know to be true then why are you still reading
>> and responding to my posts. They should have no interest to you or
>> anyone else that believes that fairies are real.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> * I have never expressed my beliefs here ... and so you are talking out

Well I apologize for accusing you, I thought you were just one of the
many that did.

>of your ass . AND I have also never expressed any offense about your
>personal beliefs . You are pretty defensive about your beliefs , maybe

Not actual beliefs, a belief requires faith, faith requires a fairy to
believe in. Since I know that fairies are not real I need no faith and
therefore have no need for belief.

I mean I have beliefs such as I believe it will be mildly warm
tomorrow and I believe that this year I will have about 20-30 basil
plants

>(deity of choice) is trying to get your attention ... actually I find

That is the same as saying tinker bell is calling you... you better
pick up... Hey is that crazy fairy still using a land line.. Well kiss
my grits it sure is. Someone needs to teach that fairy bitch a lesson.

Oh **** that I am extremely amusing.....

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 08:45:58 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
>> Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

>Apparently not, Forrest.

Ahh I am glad you caught that and that the things I say that are meant
to be humorous are not going to waste

>You'll have to get used to the fact that people here cook differently
>from you and aren't interested in buying additional gear to cook things

well from what I have read there are several people here that use/like
air fryers

>they either don't cook or already cook by some other means. Nor are
>they interested in recipes for foods that are to your taste, but
>not theirs.
>
>It's a tough sell telling someone who's been cooking for longer than
>you've been alive that you know better than they do.

wow there are people here over 90ish? Damn I am impressed....
I saw a man over a hundred jogging on tv the other day..

you assumed that I was 40 or on the lower end of 40...

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups......

One potato, two potato, three potato, four

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:22:49 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>
>> > Anyway thats all I have to say about that.....

>> Apparently not, Forrest.
>>
>> You'll have to get used to the fact that people here cook differently
>> from you and aren't interested in buying additional gear to cook things
>> they either don't cook or already cook by some other means. Nor are
>> they interested in recipes for foods that are to your taste, but
>> not theirs.
>>
>> It's a tough sell telling someone who's been cooking for longer than
>> you've been alive that you know better than they do.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Nailed it!!

Just like that jesus christ fairy.. LOL

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> Oh **** that I am extremely amusing.....

Uh, no, you being on SSDI for mental defections -- and thus being a useless lay - a - bout -- you are simply HIGH as a COOT on these free Medicaid psych meds you are addicted to...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 14:08:53 -0700 (PDT), GM

>> Oh **** that I am extremely amusing.....

>Uh, no, you being on SSDI for mental defections -- and thus being a useless lay - a - bout -- you are simply HIGH as a COOT on these free Medicaid psych meds you are addicted to...

Good one....

Sorry I have no need to psych meds, I do however take a beta blocker
because my heart has issues. Other than that I do take the free
vitamins that I get through humana. And I also use the free band aids,
the free triple antibiotic ointment, I also use the free blood o2
thingie... Hmm lets see AHH yes the free heartburn relief, the free
melatonin that does not do shit for me but since I have them and they
were free I should at least use them..... Then there are the gauze
pads that are free the asprin ibuprofen, calcium,antioxidants, B
complex vitamins, allergy meds.... butt cream, lotion, gasoline,
electricity,chlorine for my pool, power steering fluid cause my car
has a leak, but Actually told them that I drink it because it helps
lube up my neck.

Game over Please insert 25 cents

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:17:49 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-22 9:39 a.m., Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then
>>> the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.* I still have those books on my
>>> shelves. At least teens were reading books back then!* What do they do
>>> now, tap on smart phones?
>>>
>>> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books
>>> for his son.* Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at
>>> war. The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.
>>>
>>> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?
>>>
>>> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> * Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
>> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
>> birthdays or Christmas .
>>

>I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
>luxuries but necessities.

books are the best gift to get, I mean actual books not the ebook
crap.... Have you ever tried to regift an ebook... I tried to do that
once and broke my damn printer.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> Sam never said that - in the only true representation of the tale of
>>> Frodo Nine-Fingers and the Ring of Doom . The writers of those movies
>>> were "inventive" to say the least . I've read the covers off
>>> (literally!) at least 3 sets of the Trilogy of the Ring over the last 50
>>> or so years , and ferdamshure Sam never said that . Poetic license my
>>> dyin' ass . Frodo Lives !

>> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
>> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
>> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
>> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
>> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
>> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
>> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
>> together.
>>
>> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
>> change things from the books.
>> Same thing with any movie made from any book.
>>

> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then the
> 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. I still have those books on my shelves.

i read through them usually at least once a year,
often more than that if i can't get out in a storm
and want something to read. each time i find a
different perspective on something that i hadn't
noticed before.

i read them first in the early 70s too, along with
Dune they were books that stuck with me that i've
often gone back to for more re-reads than any other.

> At least teens were reading books back then! What do they do now, tap
> on smart phones?
>
> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books for
> his son. Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at war.
> The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.

uh, no it isn't a legend, they've published his letters
and large chunks of the process and how it all came about.
amazing when you think what it ended up as.

> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?

yes and that's why it is so much different
than the longer story which comes after.

> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.

i like the imagination that books allow your own
mind to create - i think that is a loss for children
if they never have either the time or the space to
create things themselves any more.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
> library. They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
> books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
> that is really abusing a free service. They can take a few, read them,
> bring them back and get some more. Leave something for other people.
> People abuse the DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
> had more than 2 dozen videos. That's more than three videos a day for
> the one week loan period. I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

as a previous librarian i would always be happy to
check out as many books as a person could keep track
of and reliably return on time and in good condition.

children's books are fairly short. i've seen some
families check out 50-100 books for several kids. i
was happy. i loved that they were reading and being
read to. it also helped in that it kept space on
shelves. that library wasn't that big - it has moved
the past few years so that is very nice to have more
space.

i have a set of books i need to ask them if they
want back now that they have more space. it would
free up a whole shelf for me if they did.

dvds i can see there being a demand issue that it
would be reasonable for some of the newer ones to
have a limit. we currently have about a dozen dvds
checked out to watch (that is about all Mom watches
at night now).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 3:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-22 2:34 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> graham > wrote:
>>> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
>>> luxuries but necessities.
>>>

>> Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants.Â* I view it as an
>> investment in her future.Â* I just wish shed take an interest in reading
>> some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

> I was never much of a reader when I was a kid. I didn't care much for
> kids books, kids movies or cartoons.Â* I do lots of reading now, usually
> at least aÂ* book a week.Â* We made sure to read to our son every night
> and he became a very avid reader.Â* While we bought him lots of books
> over the years we encouraged him to use the library.
>
> I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
> library.Â* They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
> books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
> that is really abusing a free service.Â* They can take a few, read them,
> bring them back and getÂ* some more. Leave something for other people.
> People abuse theÂ* DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
> had more than 2 dozen videos.Â*Â* That's more than three videos a day for
> the one week loan period.Â* I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

A former neighbor didn't have television service (no cable or dish) but
she did have a DVD player. She'd check out a dozen DVD's at a time. I
don't know what the limit is but seems there should probably be one...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 6:55 PM, songbird wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> I read "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy back
>>> in the 1970's. I still have the books on my bookshelf. Amazing
>>> story but the only thing I hated was how several separate events
>>> happened all through that trilogy. You would just get into and
>>> enjoy one story then next chapter is....meanwhile...and an
>>> entirely different story started or continued. Kind of like a tv
>>> soap opera. Make you wait. At least at the end, all stories come
>>> together.
>>>
>>> Anyway...I've never bothered to watch the movies. They always
>>> change things from the books.
>>> Same thing with any movie made from any book.
>>>

>> Seems like in the 1970's the thing to read was 'The Hobbit' and then the
>> 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. I still have those books on my shelves.

> i read through them usually at least once a year,
> often more than that if i can't get out in a storm
> and want something to read. each time i find a
> different perspective on something that i hadn't
> noticed before.
>
> i read them first in the early 70s too, along with
> Dune they were books that stuck with me that i've
> often gone back to for more re-reads than any other.
>

>> At least teens were reading books back then! What do they do now, tap
>> on smart phones?
>>
>> I heard (and it's probably a Tolkien legend) J.R.R. wrote the books for
>> his son. Sent the trilogy off in chapters while he was away at war.
>> The timing in the 1940's works. <shrug> Likely a legend.

> uh, no it isn't a legend, they've published his letters
> and large chunks of the process and how it all came about.
> amazing when you think what it ended up as.

Thanks for clarifying! I knew I'd heard it somewhere but wasn't sure
how true it was.

>> Did you know 'The Hobbit' was originally written as a children's book?

> yes and that's why it is so much different
> than the longer story which comes after.

It's definitely different from the trilogy.

>> And I agree, most movies made from books suck.

> i like the imagination that books allow your own
> mind to create - i think that is a loss for children
> if they never have either the time or the space to
> create things themselves any more.
>

> songbird

Yep, I prefer to conjur up the images myself rather than have some movie
producer's take on how a character should look. Movies have their
place, of course. I just love to read!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:
> graham > wrote:

>>> Some kids do still read ... our grandkids (all 5 of 'em) are very
>>> disappointed if they don't get books as gifts for occasions like
>>> birthdays or Christmas .
>>>

>> I treat my grandchildren to books at any time. I don't consider them as
>> luxuries but necessities.
>>

> Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants. I view it as an
> investment in her future. I just wish shed take an interest in reading
> some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

Don't push her, just mention them once. She'll most likely remember
later. You're doing the right thing. Keep it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:17:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Me too. I buy my daughter all the books she wants. I view it as an
>>> investment in her future. I just wish she’d take an interest in reading
>>> some of my childhood favorite books. :-)

>> I was never much of a reader when I was a kid. I didn't care much for
>> kids books, kids movies or cartoons. I do lots of reading now, usually
>> at least a book a week. We made sure to read to our son every night
>> and he became a very avid reader. While we bought him lots of books
>> over the years we encouraged him to use the library.
>>
>> I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
>> library. They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
>> books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
>> that is really abusing a free service. They can take a few, read them,
>> bring them back and get some more. Leave something for other people.
>> People abuse the DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
>> had more than 2 dozen videos. That's more than three videos a day for
>> the one week loan period. I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

> The art of bitching. Bitching about how many books children borrow at
> the library. Unbelievable!

Really? What do yoose think about canadian folks picking up trash and
strewing the garbage through a fast food joint's parking lot?

At least Popeye just throws his garbage out his own window

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 14:08:53 -0700 (PDT), GM
> > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh **** that I am extremely amusing.....

>> Uh, no, you being on SSDI for mental defections -- and thus being a useless lay - a - bout -- you are simply HIGH as a COOT on these free Medicaid psych meds you are addicted to...

> Good one....
>
> Sorry I have no need to psych meds, I do however take a beta blocker
> because my heart has issues. Other than that I do take the free
> vitamins that I get through humana. And I also use the free band aids,
> the free triple antibiotic ointment, I also use the free blood o2
> thingie... Hmm lets see AHH yes the free heartburn relief, the free
> melatonin that does not do shit for me but since I have them and they
> were free I should at least use them..... Then there are the gauze
> pads that are free the asprin ibuprofen, calcium,antioxidants, B
> complex vitamins, allergy meds.... butt cream, lotion, gasoline,
> electricity,chlorine for my pool, power steering fluid cause my car
> has a leak, but Actually told them that I drink it because it helps
> lube up my neck.
>

> Game over Please insert 25 cents
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Howdy couain! I see you are a member of the church of christ ... One
cuppers ... no sunday school ... no jewelry or dancing ... twice
reformed ... Missouri synod, 1902!

Let's have a little wine and discuss jesus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 7:01 p.m., songbird wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> I have to wonder about some of the parents I see with their kids at the
>> library. They go to the checkout and each kid has more than a dozen
>> books. I appreciate that the kids are interested in reading, but I think
>> that is really abusing a free service. They can take a few, read them,
>> bring them back and get some more. Leave something for other people.
>> People abuse the DVDs too. One day the woman checking out ahead of me
>> had more than 2 dozen videos. That's more than three videos a day for
>> the one week loan period. I would have no problem with a 3 movie limit.

> as a previous librarian i would always be happy to
> check out as many books as a person could keep track
> of and reliably return on time and in good condition.

That would be the key. It must be hard to keep track of more than 20 books.

> children's books are fairly short. i've seen some
> families check out 50-100 books for several kids. i
> was happy. i loved that they were reading and being
> read to. it also helped in that it kept space on
> shelves. that library wasn't that big - it has moved
> the past few years so that is very nice to have more
> space.
>
> i have a set of books i need to ask them if they
> want back now that they have more space. it would
> free up a whole shelf for me if they did.
>
> dvds i can see there being a demand issue that it
> would be reasonable for some of the newer ones to
> have a limit. we currently have about a dozen dvds
> checked out to watch (that is about all Mom watches
> at night now).

So, while you have a dozen DVDs sitting around waiting to be seen
someone else could have been watching them.