Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default the benefits of proper lard

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It is my
> preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is definitely 'out'!
> You can use butter instead though so all is not lost)

Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat. I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It is my
> preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is definitely 'out'!
> You can use butter instead though so all is not lost)

Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there was no
lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat. I'll just
render the stuff myself. Thanks.

==

Aye, things change over time! Do you mean you will make your own lard??
Wow!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:23:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It is my
> > preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is definitely 'out'!
> > You can use butter instead though so all is not lost)

> Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there was no
> lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat. I'll just
> render the stuff myself. Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> Aye, things change over time! Do you mean you will make your own lard??
> Wow!!

Yes, I have 2 lbs of fat in the refrigerator. I have reservations about making a fruit pie with the fat from an animal but a meat pie would be entirely appropriate - well, in my mind, at least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:23:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It is my
> > preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is definitely
> > 'out'!
> > You can use butter instead though so all is not lost)

> Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there was
> no
> lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat. I'll just
> render the stuff myself. Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> Aye, things change over time! Do you mean you will make your own lard??
> Wow!!

Yes, I have 2 lbs of fat in the refrigerator. I have reservations about
making a fruit pie with the fat from an animal but a meat pie would be
entirely appropriate - well, in my mind, at least.

==

Whatever works for you) Good luck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It
> > is my preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is
> > definitely 'out'! You can use butter instead though so all is not
> > lost)

> Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there
> was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat.
> I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.

Maybe safeway dosent have it but I was able to get it at several places
1986-1989 when I lived there

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It
> > is my preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is
> > definitely 'out'! You can use butter instead though so all is not
> > lost)

> Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there
> was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat.
> I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.

Maybe safeway dosent have it but I was able to get it at several places
1986-1989 when I lived there
==

You don't think some things might have changed in 30 years?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> >> That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It
> >> is my preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is
> >> definitely 'out'! You can use butter instead though so all is not
> >> lost)

> > Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here,
> > there was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was
> > pork fat. I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.

> Maybe safeway dosent have it but I was able to get it at several
> places 1986-1989 when I lived there
> ==
>
> You don't think some things might have changed in 30 years?

Sure but generally a food doesn't 'go away'. It's possible though as I
said. It's more likely I shopped different places than he does now.
For example, Ala Moana was walking distance for me. I don't have the
impression it is from him (nor am I fishing for actual PII addresses
here). I don't know even for sure if he lives on Oahu which would make
a big difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 11:03:33 AM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here,
> > > there was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was
> > > pork fat. I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.

> > Maybe safeway dosent have it but I was able to get it at several
> > places 1986-1989 when I lived there
> > ==
> >
> > You don't think some things might have changed in 30 years?

> Sure but generally a food doesn't 'go away'. It's possible though as I
> said. It's more likely I shopped different places than he does now.
> For example, Ala Moana was walking distance for me. I don't have the
> impression it is from him (nor am I fishing for actual PII addresses
> here). I don't know even for sure if he lives on Oahu which would make
> a big difference.

He lives in Kanehoe.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Well whatever you think best. I lived in Malta for 4 years, but I would
never deign to tell anyone anything about it after 30 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > That is a shame It makes wonderful Rough Puff pastry! It
> > > is my preference. But, if you find something repulsive it is
> > > definitely 'out'! You can use butter instead though so all is not
> > > lost)

> > Contrary to the popular beliefs of people that don't live here, there
> > was no lard to be found at the Safeway. What I did see was pork fat.
> > I'll just render the stuff myself. Thanks.

> Maybe safeway dosent have it but I was able to get it at several places
> 1986-1989 when I lived there

The three markets in my little burg did not have it. My in-laws were ex-Army, I never saw them once going to a supermarket to buy anything. They always shopped for groceries on base. You'd have to be pretty dumb to do otherwise. They sell food ridiculously cheap at the commissaries. What where the names of the several stores that you purchased this mythical, magical, and oh-so-commonplace, manteca?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Praise the Lard !!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 2:07:33 PM UTC-10, Average Person wrote:
> Praise the Lard !!!!!

You *******! That was my line!

proper lifting Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 2 21-11-2012 05:05 AM
Use A Proper Pepper Lou Decruss General Cooking 20 02-08-2011 06:04 PM
Proper way biig General Cooking 13 02-01-2006 04:52 PM
Proper way Ophelia General Cooking 1 29-12-2005 10:19 PM