Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Default Proper way

I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
experimenting..

Thanks.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"biig" > wrote in message

> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the
> proper
> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
> experimenting..

What are you going to use the knife for? If it is a carving knife for
meat, then it wants an angle of 7 to 10 deg. But if it is for more
general use where it may come into contact with chopping boards etc then
17 to 20 deg will provide an edge which is plenty sharp enough but far
more durable

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

biig wrote:
> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
> experimenting..

First, with great certainty I agree that you're right not to want to
use the so-called sharpener on your electric can opener. Second,
authorities usually recommend an angle of about 20° for general
sharpening. But the best way to care for and sharpen your knives is a
big topic. I've been hand sharpening knives my whole life so I know
what works for me, but it's something I'd have to demonstrate rather
than try to describe. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
salgud

biig wrote:
> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
> experimenting..
>
> Thanks.....Sharon

Sharon,
Most can-opener sharpeners are very bad for a good knife blade. Don't
even think about it, unless you know for sure yours is ok.
As for the stone, the general rule is to hold the knife at about a 15
degree angle to the stone as you slide it forward. A little oil on the
stone will make it slide easier. Some people are very particular about
the kind of oil (from the ptuitary gland of a young (between 8 mos and
1.4 yrs), male, Northern Siberian Yellow Yak), but I've used WD-40,
cooking oil, and everything else with no noticeable difference. Just
enough to wet the stone. Alternate stroked in each direction, like
you're trying to take a very thin slice off the top of the stone.
To be honest, I've sharpened my good knives by hand since the early
70's, until last year. I heard good things about the Wusthof hand
sharpener (wood handle with little ceramic wheels to sharpen the blade)
and it works very well. Takes minutes to sharpen all my knives now! Of
course, a decent electric sharpener is even better, but good ones cost
close to $100, at least the last time I looked at them they did. Not
worth it to me for something I only use a few times a year.
You don't need to sharpen your knives often it you use the steel on
them every time you use the knife.
Hope this helps in your world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

biig wrote:
> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
> experimenting..

A new knife probably just needs steeling. To learn how to use a
whetstone practice on derelict knives, discards you pick up for say a
buck each at the local Salvation Army outlet. Don't even think about
using that gadget on your can opener.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:07:21 -0500, biig > wrote:

> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
>angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
>sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
>experimenting..
>
> Thanks.....Sharon

here's some intructions that look pretty interesting Sharon...
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/Juranitch1977Feb.htm

Bill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cape Cod Bob

On 29 Dec 2005 10:57:39 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>biig wrote:
>> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
>> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
>> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
>> experimenting..
>>
>> Thanks.....Sharon

>Sharon,
>. A little oil on the
>stone will make it slide easier.

Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
lubricant.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Cape Cod Bob wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2005 10:57:39 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:
>
>> biig wrote:
>>> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
>>> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
>>> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
>>> experimenting..
>>>
>>> Thanks.....Sharon

>> Sharon,
>> . A little oil on the
>> stone will make it slide easier.

> Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
> they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
> lubricant.
> ------------

Oil is actually used to reduce temperature...as to not damage the temper
of the knife blade and also to make a paste that sticks to the surface
of the knife to get a more even grind/hone of the cutting edge...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
> On 29 Dec 2005 10:57:39 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:
>

>>biig wrote:
>>> I have a new Henckles (sp) knife and a whet stone. What is the proper
>>> angle for honing the blade? I have an electric can opener with a
>>> sharpener on the back, but I don't want to wreck the knife
>>> experimenting..
>>>
>>> Thanks.....Sharon

>>Sharon,
>>. A little oil on the
>>stone will make it slide easier.

> Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
> they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
> lubricant.
> ------------
>
> Cape Cod Bob

Sharon, I believe there are two kinds of whet stones - one made for using
oil and one made for using water.
Find out which one you have before you put oil on it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Cape Cod Bob wrote:
> > salgud" wrote:
> >>
> >> . A little oil on the
> >> stone will make it slide easier.

> > Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
> > they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
> > lubricant.

Actually the oil used with an oilstone is also used as a lubricant,
reduces friction making it easier to move the blade and at a more
uniform rate.

> Oil is actually used to reduce temperature

Actually not, not with a hand held whetstone, the human hand can't move
fast enough to generate any significant heat, and oil is actually a
very poor heat dispersant. Whetstone oil is strictly for keeping the
stone from loading up with metal particles and to wash away loose stone
particles, and to lubricate for facilitating ease of motion and to
promote uniform motion; helps prevent hand fatigue. Were it a
motorized grinding wheel then the high surface speed would certainly
cause friction enough to generate exquisite heat, but then the coolant
used would be plain water (oils reduce friction so to lessen heat
generation but oils do not disperse heat nearly as well as plain old
water; to wit engine coolant). In high rate manufacturing facilities
most usually water with a small quantity of water soluble oil as an
additive to reduce friction and as rust inhibitor (primarily to keep
the machine from rusting) and a fungicide (to protect operators), most
usually incorporating a particulate filtration device too, to help
extend the useful life of the coolant. Also many hand whetstones are
of the plain water variety, whereas oil would ruin them. These days
manufacturers are more and more moving to using soaps rather than water
soluble oils in grinding operations... oil disposal is just too costly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message

> >>Sharon,
> >>. A little oil on the
> >>stone will make it slide easier.

> > Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
> > they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
> > lubricant.
> > ------------
> >
> > Cape Cod Bob

> Sharon, I believe there are two kinds of whet stones - one made for using
> oil and one made for using water.
> Find out which one you have before you put oil on it.
> Dee Dee

Now I am confused...lol... It's a yard sale find, so I don't know
which kind it would be....
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

biig wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:

> > > Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
> > > they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
> > > lubricant.
> > > ------------
> > >
> > > Cape Cod Bob

> > Sharon, I believe there are two kinds of whet stones - one made for using
> > oil and one made for using water.
> > Find out which one you have before you put oil on it.
> > Dee Dee

> Now I am confused...lol... It's a yard sale find, so I don't know
> which kind it would be....

If it was used it should be easy to determine... if it smells fresh and
clean and isn't all oozy with schmootz then it's a water stone, but if
it feels slimey and/or smells italian then it's an oil stone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Dee Randall wrote:

>> > Oil SHOULD be added to an oilstone to flush the steel particles so
>> > they don't embed and glaze the stone. It is not intended as a
>> > lubricant.
>> > ------------
>> >
>> > Cape Cod Bob

>> Sharon, I believe there are two kinds of whet stones - one made for using
>> oil and one made for using water.
>> Find out which one you have before you put oil on it.
>> Dee Dee

> Now I am confused...lol... It's a yard sale find, so I don't know
> which kind it would be....

Better brush it or sweep it off gently and save the shavings -- you know
what they say about yard sale finds -- perhaps someone was using it to grind
diamonds -- tee hee.
Here's info
http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vo...enBingham.html

"Oil stones are probably the most common in the US. They can be found in old
tool boxes or kitchen junk draws. These can sometimes be found at flea
markets and garage sales."

I know mine is water.
"Water stones are the main sharpening stones in Japan. Water is used to
float the metal particles above the stone. Water stones are more porous and
softer than oil stones thus they expose more fresh particles and are faster
cutting."
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Sheldon wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > Dee Randall wrote:

> > > Sharon, I believe there are two kinds of whet stones - one made for using
> > > oil and one made for using water.
> > > Find out which one you have before you put oil on it.
> > > Dee Dee

> > Now I am confused...lol... It's a yard sale find, so I don't know
> > which kind it would be....

> If it was used it should be easy to determine... if it smells fresh and
> clean and isn't all oozy with schmootz then it's a water stone, but if
> it feels slimey and/or smells italian then it's an oil stone.

Actually, I think it was from someone's toolbox (carpenter or
mechanic) if the other items for sale at this yard sale were any
indiciation. I'll wash it thoroughly before I use it, but I would
guess?? it's an oil stone?