Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Recycling?

https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/

America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

Its time to admit the recycling mania is a giant placebo.

Thursday, March 21, 2019

by Jon Miltimore

"A couple of years ago, after sending my five-year-old daughter off to school, she came home reciting the same cheerful environmental mantra I was taught in elementary school.

Reduce, reuse, recycle, she beamed, proud to show off a bit of rote learning.

The moral virtue of recycling is rarely questioned in the United States. It has been ingrained into the American psyche over several decades. On a recent trip to the Caribbean, my friends wife exhibited nervous guilt while collecting empty soda, water, and beer bottles destined for the trash since our resort offered no recycling bins.

I feel terrible throwing these into garbage, she said, wearing a pained look on her face.

I didnt have the heart to tell her that there was a good chance the bottles she was recycling back in the States were ending up just like the ones on the Caribbean island we were visiting.

Difficult Implementation

As Discover magazine pointed out a decade ago, recycling is tricky business.. A 2010 Columbia University study found that just 16.5 percent of the plastic collected by the New York Department of Sanitation was recyclable.

This results in nearly half of the plastics collected being landfilled, researchers concluded.

Since that time, things have only gotten worse. Over the weekend, The New York Times ran a story detailing how hundreds of cities across the country are abandoning recycling efforts.

'Philadelphia is now burning about half of its 1.5 million residents recycling material in an incinerator that converts waste to energy. In Memphis, the international airport still has recycling bins around the terminals, but every collected can, bottle and newspaper is sent to a landfill. And last month, officials in the central Florida city of Deltona faced the reality that, despite their best efforts to recycle, their curbside program was not working and suspended it. Those are just three of the hundreds of towns and cities across the country that have canceled recycling programs, limited the types of material they accepted or agreed to huge price increases.'

One reason for this is that China, perhaps the largest buyer of US recyclables, stopped accepting them in 2018. Other countries, such as Thailand and India, have increased imports, but not in sufficient tonnage to alleviate the mounting costs cities are facing.

We are in a crisis moment in the recycling movement right now, Fiona Ma, the treasurer of California, told the Times.

Cost is the key word. Like any activity or service, recycling is an economic activity. The dirty little secret is that the benefits of recycling have always been dubious for some time.

Recycling has been dysfunctional for a long time, Mitch Hedlund, executive director of Recycle Across America, told The Times.

Has Recycling Always Been An Illusion?

How long? Perhaps from the very beginning. Nearly a quarter century ago, Lawrence Reed wrote about the growing fad of recycling, which state and local governments were pursuingmostly through mandates, naturallywith a religious-like fervor. There were numerous problems with the approach, he observed.

The fact is that sometimes recycling makes sense and sometimes it doesnt. In the legislative rush to pass recycling mandates, state and local governments should pause to consider the science and the economics of every proposition. Often, bad ideas are worse than none at all and can produce lasting damage if they are enshrined in law. Simply demanding that something be recycled can be disruptive of markets and it does not guarantee that recycling that makes either economic or environmental sense will even occur..

If only lawmakers had heeded Mr. Reeds advice, or that of John Tierney, who offered similar guidance in The Times the following year.

Believing that there was no more room in landfills, Americans concluded that recycling was their only option. Their intentions were good and their conclusions seemed plausible. Recycling does sometimes make sense--for some materials in some places at some times. But the simplest and cheapest option is usually to bury garbage in an environmentally safe landfill. And since there's no shortage of landfill space (the crisis of 1987 was a false alarm), there's no reason to make recycling a legal or moral imperative.

Thats economics, you say. What about the environment? Well, the environmental benefits of recycling are far from clear. For starters, as Popular Mechanics noted a few years ago, the idea that we dont have sufficient space to safely store trash is untrue.

'According to one calculation, all the garbage produced in the U.S. for the next 1000 years could fit into a landfill 100 yards deep and 35 miles across on each side--not that big (unless you happen to live in the neighborhood). Or put another way, it would take another 20 years to run through the landfills that the U.S. has already built. So the notion that we're running out of landfill space--the original impetus for the recycling boom--turns out to have been a red herring.'

Recycling Efforts Backfire and Create Waste Themselves

And then there are the energy and resources that go into recycling. How much water do Americans spend annually recycling items that end up in a landfill? How much fuel is spent deploying fleets of barges and trucks across highways and oceans, carrying tons of garbage to be processed at facilities that belch their own emissions?

The data on this front is thin, and results on the environmental effectiveness of recycling vary based on the material being recycled. Yet all of this presumes the recyclables are not being cleaned and shipped only to be buried in a landfill, like so much of it is today. This, Mises would, say is planned chaos, the inevitable result of central planners making decisions instead of consumers through free markets.

Most market economists, Reed points out, by nature, philosophy, and experience a bunch skeptical of centrally planned schemes that supplant choice, were wise to the dynamics of recycling from the beginning.

As engineer and author Richard Fulmer wrote in 2016,

'Recycling resources costs resources. For instance, old newsprint must be collected, transported, and processed. This requires trucks, which must be manufactured and fueled, and recycling plants, which must be constructed and powered.

All this also produces pollution from the factories that build the trucks and from the fuel burned to power them, and from the factories that produce the components to build and construct the recycling plant and from the fuel burned to power the plant. If companies can make a profit recycling paper, then we can be confident that more resources are saved than are used. However, if recycling is mandated by law, we have no such assurance.

Again, economics is the key.'

Its time to admit the recycling mania is a giant placebo. It makes people feel good, but the idea that it improves the condition of humans or the planet is highly dubious.

Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not a moral or legal imperative...."

</>

Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His writing/reporting has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox News, and the Washington Times.

Reach him at .

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
>
> America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

They're not wrong. Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
especially disposable stuff.

Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thursday, March 21, 2019

by Jon Miltimore

[...]

==

Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]
>
> Again, economics is the key.'
>
> Its time to admit the recycling mania is a giant placebo. It makes people
> feel good, but the idea that it improves the condition of humans or the
> planet is highly dubious.
>
> Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest
> Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not a
> moral or legal imperative...."
>
> </>
>
> Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His writing/reporting
> has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox
> News, and the Washington Times.
>
> Reach him at .
>
> </>
>
> ==
>
> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

Luv, If I were you I'd send my rubbish to Janet UK...!!!

;-D

Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2019 10:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
>> https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
>>
>> America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

> They're not wrong. Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
> especially disposable stuff.

Beaufort County, SC recently, and so far successfully banned stores from
offering plastic bags. If you don't bring your own cloth bags, stores
offer paper bags. I now have a collection of paper bags. The ones from
Publix Supermarket are quite nice: sturdy, foldable and with handles. I
do re-use them.

> Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:07:46 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> > https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
> >
> > America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

> They're not wrong. Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
> especially disposable stuff.
>
> Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Um, YES!!! Use LESS DAMNED STUFF!! NO NEW STUFF if at all possible!!

We have made ENOUGH DAMNED STUFF!! Repair, rehab, repurpose, etc. And that's what CooperativeCorporationsSTL.ORG is all about!! That's what I am doing with 3068 Bellerive!! Built in 1930 as a "single family" home, now it's been rebuilt, rehabbed and REPURPOSED as Shared International Student Living home! MY Shared International Student Living home and MY RETIREMENT HOME!!

Get with the 21st Century! I did!! :-)

John Kuthe, Climate Activist!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:07:46 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> > > https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
> > >
> > > America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

> > They're not wrong. Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
> > especially disposable stuff.
> >
> > Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Um, YES!!! Use LESS DAMNED STUFF!! NO NEW STUFF if at all possible!!
>
> We have made ENOUGH DAMNED STUFF!! Repair, rehab, repurpose, etc. And that's what CooperativeCorporationsSTL.ORG is all about!! That's what I am doing with 3068 Bellerive!! Built in 1930 as a "single family" home, now it's been rebuilt, rehabbed and REPURPOSED as Shared International Student Living home! MY Shared International Student Living home and MY RETIREMENT HOME!!
>
> Get with the 21st Century! I did!! :-)
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Activist!

http://cooperativecorporationsstl.org/

"John Kuthe's MIND cant be reached cooperativecorporationsstl.orgs server IP address could not be found.
Search Google for cooperative corporations stl org
ERR_JOHN KUTHE_NOT_RESOLVE..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]
> feel good, but the idea that it improves the condition of humans or the
> planet is highly dubious.
>
> Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest
> Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not
> moral or legal imperative...."
>
> </>
>
> Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His
> writing/reporting
> has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox
> News, and the Washington Times.
>
> Reach him at .
>
> </>
>
> ==
>
> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

Luv, If I were you I'd send my rubbish to Janet UK...!!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/19 7:46 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:07:46 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
>>> https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
>>>
>>> America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

>> They're not wrong. Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
>> especially disposable stuff.
>>
>> Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Um, YES!!! Use LESS DAMNED STUFF!! NO NEW STUFF if at all possible!!
>
> We have made ENOUGH DAMNED STUFF!! Repair, rehab, repurpose, etc. And that's what CooperativeCorporationsSTL.ORG is all about!! That's what I am doing with 3068 Bellerive!! Built in 1930 as a "single family" home, now it's been rebuilt, rehabbed and REPURPOSED as Shared International Student Living home! MY Shared International Student Living home and MY RETIREMENT HOME!!
>
> Get with the 21st Century! I did!! :-)
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Activist!

did you repair and/or rehab a used auto instead of buying a new one?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> [...]
>
> Its time to admit the recycling mania is a giant placebo. It makes people
> feel good, but the idea that it improves the condition of humans or the
> planet is highly dubious.
>
> Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest
> Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not
> moral or legal imperative...."
>
> </>
>
> Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His
> writing/reporting
> has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox
> News, and the Washington Times.
>
> Reach him at .
>
> </>
>
> ==
>
> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

You have to take it yourself?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:28:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> [...]

>> Its time to admit the recycling mania is a giant placebo. It makes people
>> feel good, but the idea that it improves the condition of humans or the
>> planet is highly dubious.
>>
>> Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest
>> Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not
>> moral or legal imperative...."
>>
>> </>
>>
>> Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His
>> writing/reporting
>> has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox
>> News, and the Washington Times.
>>
>> Reach him at .
>>
>> </>
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

Imbecile dumb **** can't trim before posting her widdle bit of
worthless shit... TYPICAL LEFT/WEST COAST MORON!
You sicko POS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]
>>> planet is highly dubious.
>>>
>>> Its taken three decades, but the actions of hundreds of US cities suggest
>>> Americans are finally willing to entertain the idea that recycling is not
>>> moral or legal imperative...."
>>>
>>> </>
>>>
>>> Jonathan Miltimore is the Managing Editor of FEE.org. His
>>> writing/reporting
>>> has appeared in TIME magazine, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Forbes, Fox
>>> News, and the Washington Times.
>>>
>>> Reach him at .
>>>
>>> </>
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>> You have to take it yourself?

> Imbecile dumb **** can't trim before posting her widdle bit of
> worthless shit... TYPICAL LEFT/WEST COAST MORON!

Relax Poopeye, just pretend she's yoose aunt or mammy or daughter, then
shove yoose big ole saw-seege in deep, till she squeals.

Oink Oink!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2019 10:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/21/2019 10:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
>>> https://fee.org/articles/america-fin...-doesn-t-work/
>>>
>>> America Finally Admits Recycling Doesnt Work

>> They're not wrong.* Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
>> especially disposable stuff.
>>

> Beaufort County, SC recently, and so far successfully banned stores from
> offering plastic bags.* If you don't bring your own cloth bags, stores
> offer paper bags.* I now have a collection of paper bags.* The ones from
> Publix Supermarket are quite nice: sturdy, foldable and with handles.* I
> do re-use them.
>

> Jill

Paper bags are a fallacy too. In landfills they do not disappear like
people think, though they can be recycled, same as plastic. Reusable is
still the best idea.

Trash to energy plants are becoming more common too. Trash can be
burned cleaner than coal and instead of digging a hole to hold the
trash, get the energy from it to fuel Kuthe's car. Most plastics
contain about 18,000 BTU per pound. Newspaper is 8,000 BTU per
pound.Even coffee grounds have 10,000 BTU to burn

Many companies have reduced packaging, but it still has a long way to
go. Especially fancy products like high end cosmetics that depends on
fancy packaging to sell the cheap ingredients inside. Some years go a
customer gave us a package design to quote for a car radio and speaker
system. We gave them a price, but also gave them a design idea that
would save them 20%. Nope, they wanted the bigger package to put some
eye catching graphics when sitting on the shelf at the auto supply store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ed Pawlowski >
wrote:

> Many companies have reduced packaging, but it still has a long way to
> go. Especially fancy products like high end cosmetics that depends on
> fancy packaging to sell the cheap ingredients inside. Some years go a
> customer gave us a package design to quote for a car radio and speaker
> system. We gave them a price, but also gave them a design idea that
> would save them 20%. Nope, they wanted the bigger package to put some
> eye catching graphics when sitting on the shelf at the auto supply store.

My company's flagship product could be dropped in a 10 by 12 inch
plastic bag and stapled closed with a folding header card. We did that
for years. We finally ended up with a stiff clamshell package with
fitting header board and cardboard insert in the clam. Same product.
I just bought our main moneymaker (earmuff hearing protector) on eBay
and just because. The product was good to me, and I felt nostalgic. I'd
like to show my grandkids what grandpa did to make a good living for
over twenty years.
They used to cost us about five bucks to produce. This one cost me
thirty seven bucks including shipping. The company owner would have
given me one or ten if I asked. We used to donate lots of them to Ducks
Unlimited.
The company is defunct and has been for many years. It was a great
company to work for in its time. Our main product never changed, but
our packaging did. We were keeping up with the Joneses, I suppose, and
it was necessary at the time. Bad for recycle!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 22:20:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/21/2019 10:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> They're not wrong.* Perhaps we could just use less damned stuff,
>>> especially disposable stuff.
>>>

>> Beaufort County, SC recently, and so far successfully banned stores from
>> offering plastic bags.* If you don't bring your own cloth bags, stores
>> offer paper bags.* I now have a collection of paper bags.* The ones from
>> Publix Supermarket are quite nice: sturdy, foldable and with handles.* I
>> do re-use them.
>>

>> Jill

>Paper bags are a fallacy too. In landfills they do not disappear like
>people think, though they can be recycled, same as plastic. Reusable is
>still the best idea.
>
>Trash to energy plants are becoming more common too. Trash can be
>burned cleaner than coal and instead of digging a hole to hold the
>trash, get the energy from it to fuel Kuthe's car. Most plastics
>contain about 18,000 BTU per pound. Newspaper is 8,000 BTU per
>pound.Even coffee grounds have 10,000 BTU to burn
>
>Many companies have reduced packaging, but it still has a long way to
>go. Especially fancy products like high end cosmetics that depends on
>fancy packaging to sell the cheap ingredients inside. Some years go a
>customer gave us a package design to quote for a car radio and speaker
>system. We gave them a price, but also gave them a design idea that
>would save them 20%. Nope, they wanted the bigger package to put some
>eye catching graphics when sitting on the shelf at the auto supply store.

In my community we save in a separate bag all of our plastic. The
plastic is recycled into diesel fuel. My landfill captures the gas
produced by the garbage and uses it as fuel for themselves and also
sells the gas. Not a total solution. My hometown always used to burn
what the garbage trucks collected I have never understood why it was
a good idea to bury it instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> ==
>
> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

You have to take it yourself?

===

We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
waiting for the collectors in the week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 09:01:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>> ==
>>
>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>You have to take it yourself?
>
>===
>
> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>waiting for the collectors in the week.

Is that common practice where you are? It is here for people who are
too remote for garbage retrieval. We're just within reach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>> ==
>>
>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>You have to take it yourself?
>
>===
>
> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>waiting for the collectors in the week.

Is that common practice where you are? It is here for people who are
too remote for garbage retrieval. We're just within reach.
==

A common practice to do what we do or the bins?? If you mean what we
do, I don't think so, because all the bins are out on emptying days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:17:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 09:01:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>>> ==
>>>
>>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>>You have to take it yourself?
>>
>>===
>>
>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>>waiting for the collectors in the week.

>Is that common practice where you are? It is here for people who are
>too remote for garbage retrieval. We're just within reach.
>==
>
> A common practice to do what we do or the bins?? If you mean what we
>do, I don't think so, because all the bins are out on emptying days.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'd hate to make those weekly trips when
they come to collect it anyway. And we pay for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> > ==
> >
> > Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> > the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

> You have to take it yourself?
>
> ===
>
> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
> waiting for the collectors in the week.

A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
truck.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 09:01:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>>> ==
>>>
>>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage
>>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>>You have to take it yourself?
>>
>>===
>>
>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined
>> up
>>waiting for the collectors in the week.

>Is that common practice where you are? It is here for people who are
>too remote for garbage retrieval. We're just within reach.
>==
>
> A common practice to do what we do or the bins?? If you mean what we
>do, I don't think so, because all the bins are out on emptying days.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'd hate to make those weekly trips when
they come to collect it anyway. And we pay for it.

==

Yes, we pay for it via the Council tax. I still won't use it unless I am
forced though.

It is not too near, but it is on the same route we go shopping. It isn't
as though I am making a special trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> > ==
> >
> > Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage
> > the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

> You have to take it yourself?
>
> ===
>
> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined
> up
> waiting for the collectors in the week.

A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
truck.

Cindy Hamilton

===

I don't actually know what goes in them but at the last count it was 5!
Yes, FIVE!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 4:30 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>>> ==
>>>
>>> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
>>> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

>> You have to take it yourself?
>>
>> ===
>>
>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>> waiting for the collectors in the week.

> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
> truck.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 8:40 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> You have to take it yourself?
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>>> waiting for the collectors in the week.

>> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
>> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
>> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
>> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
>> truck.

> Just like our service here in Scotland. Are you surprised ?
> Janet UK.

Varies here, but most towns have gone to a single recycle bin where
everything is sorted when the truck dumps it. One reason is the average
homeowner is too dumb to properly sort.

When our town started some years back I was on the committee to oversee
it. At that time, you went to a town facility and put the stuff in
bins. It is critical that clear glass not be mixed, but every week at
least one idiot would put a green wine bottle or a bunch of amber beer
bottles in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 06:54:29 -0600, graham > wrote:

>We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
>by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
>People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
>elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
>putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

I don't have to think about it - we have all the recycling bins down
in the garbage room and en route to my vehicle I can deposit stuff
without having to accumulate it up here. True garbage can go down
the garbage shute on every floor to the skip.

I notice the one thing that seems to confuse some people is the
difference between cardboard as in cereal boxes and corrugated
cardboard. Otherwise they are pretty good. By the door out of the
parking garage are the green bins for compost.

All the bottles and cans are collected in a separate corner of the
garbage room and the super takes them to the recycler and the deposit
is returned. We have sponsored a kids hockey team for years now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

graham wrote:

> We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
> by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
> People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
> elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
> putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

"John 6:12-13:

When they were filled, He said to His disciples, "Gather up the leftover fragments so that nothing will be lost." So they gathered them up, and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves which were left over by those who had eaten..."

:-D

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 6:30 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>> waiting for the collectors in the week.

> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
> truck.

We put out a garbage bag for household garbage, a grey bin for
newspapers and cardboard, a blue bin for plastics, glass and cans, and a
green bin for compost. A couple decades ago when we stayed at a
friend's apartment in Germany they had at least 5 different bins for
their garbage, including one for "wet paper" , like used tissues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 06:54:29 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-22 4:30 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> You have to take it yourself?
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>>> waiting for the collectors in the week.

>> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
>> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
>> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
>> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
>> truck.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
>by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
>People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
>elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
>putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

we don't have to fill the bins in order to put them at the curb. Trash
and compostable are picked up weekly. Recycle stuff every other week.
We get charged by the month whether we use them or not. Sometimes we
take stuff to the landfill if we have too much or too large to fit
into a bin. Like major tree trimmings and branches. If you call them
they will come a pick up wash machines, TVs, sofas, refrigerators etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> We put out a garbage bag for household garbage, a grey bin for
> newspapers and cardboard, a blue bin for plastics, glass and cans, and a
> green bin for compost. A couple decades ago when we stayed at a
> friend's apartment in Germany they had at least 5 different bins for
> their garbage, including one for "wet paper" , like used tissues.

I think all that customer sorting is stupid. someone would still
have to check for accuracy.

In my neighborhood are many dumpsters. ($6.50 per month). Put all
you want into a dumpster and they are emptied 3 times a week. No
separate containers for plastics or whatever. They sort it all at
their "factory" or where ever they empty those trucks. All trash
goes on a conveyor belt and people sort through everything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 09:54:04 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 06:54:29 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
>>> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
>>> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
>>> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
>>> truck.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
>>by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
>>People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
>>elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
>>putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

>we don't have to fill the bins in order to put them at the curb. Trash
>and compostable are picked up weekly. Recycle stuff every other week.
>We get charged by the month whether we use them or not. Sometimes we
>take stuff to the landfill if we have too much or too large to fit
>into a bin. Like major tree trimmings and branches.
>
>If you call them they will come a pick up wash machines, TVs, sofas, refrigerators etc.

Here if you place those out at the road with a sign that says FREE
they will be gone within the day... usually within the hour... I'm
often amazed at what trash is someone's treasure. Farm people are
very resourceful, they'll make three junked washing machines into one
that works. An old beaten up sofa is something to snooze on in the
barn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
> > waiting for the collectors in the week.

> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
> truck.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Same here. But I opted several years ago for 64 gallon trash and 64 gallon
recyclable cans. My neighborhood is a bit over 100 years old so we have
alleys and the trash guys have to roll our bins up to the truck and hook
them on the back. Then they are hoisted into the air and dumped. Out in
suburbs it's just one guy in the truck and the arm reaches out and picks
up the bin and empties it.

Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
in the week."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:28:49 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> I think all that customer sorting is stupid. someone would still
> have to check for accuracy.

Here, recycles are paper, cardboard (any type), and plastic. NO Styrofoam
and NO glass.

> In my neighborhood are many dumpsters. ($6.50 per month). Put all
> you want into a dumpster and they are emptied 3 times a week. No
> separate containers for plastics or whatever. They sort it all at
> their "factory" or where ever they empty those trucks. All trash
> goes on a conveyor belt and people sort through everything.

The recycle bin, here, is picked up once a month then it goes to a facility
where it is sorted there.

We do have a glass recycling facility but it is on the f-a-r side of town
and nobody wants to haul a carload of glass bottles there and I can't blame
them. I wouldn't want to either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 9:54 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 06:54:29 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
>>> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
>>> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
>>> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
>>> truck.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
>> by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
>> People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
>> elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
>> putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

> we don't have to fill the bins in order to put them at the curb. Trash
> and compostable are picked up weekly. Recycle stuff every other week.
> We get charged by the month whether we use them or not. Sometimes we
> take stuff to the landfill if we have too much or too large to fit
> into a bin. Like major tree trimmings and branches. If you call them
> they will come a pick up wash machines, TVs, sofas, refrigerators etc.

Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage every
2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during the
warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just don't
bother if there's little in them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 7:24 a.m., GM wrote:
> graham wrote:
>
>> We have 3: recyclables, garbage and organics. The latter are composted
>> by the city for sale and use in the city parks.
>> People complain about the extra weekly charges, particularly singles and
>> elderly who take several weeks to accumulate enough to bother about
>> putting out the bins. I'm both but I think the system is great.

> "John 6:12-13:
>
> When they were filled, He said to His disciples, "Gather up the leftover fragments so that nothing will be lost." So they gathered them up, and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves which were left over by those who had eaten..."
>
> :-D

You really must leave the Bronze Age and get up to date:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 1:05:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
> > > waiting for the collectors in the week.

> > A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
> > Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
> > rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
> > wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
> > truck.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Same here. But I opted several years ago for 64 gallon trash and 64 gallon
> recyclable cans. My neighborhood is a bit over 100 years old so we have
> alleys and the trash guys have to roll our bins up to the truck and hook
> them on the back. Then they are hoisted into the air and dumped. Out in
> suburbs it's just one guy in the truck and the arm reaches out and picks
> up the bin and empties it.
>
> Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
> she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
> in the week."

Her picture looked like there were separate bins for various types
of recyclables.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 1:05:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins
> > > lined up
> > > waiting for the collectors in the week.

> > A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for
> > non-recyclables.
> > Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
> > rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic
> > meter)
> > wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
> > truck.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Same here. But I opted several years ago for 64 gallon trash and 64
> gallon
> recyclable cans. My neighborhood is a bit over 100 years old so we have
> alleys and the trash guys have to roll our bins up to the truck and hook
> them on the back. Then they are hoisted into the air and dumped. Out in
> suburbs it's just one guy in the truck and the arm reaches out and picks
> up the bin and empties it.
>
> Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
> she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the
> collectors
> in the week."

Her picture looked like there were separate bins for various types
of recyclables.

==

That is exactly how it is here. Trouble is, various bins are emptied on
various day and ever various weeks!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:28:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Ophelia" > wrote in message

[...]

> >> Well I understand that, but I still like to be able to take my garbage to
> >> the garbage centre every week to let them sort it all out )

> >You have to take it yourself?

> Imbecile dumb **** can't trim before posting her widdle bit of
> worthless shit... TYPICAL LEFT/WEST COAST MORON!
> You sicko POS.

The Bovine is *such* a DUMBIE that when her doc prescribed burf control pills and told her "take by mouth" she instead inserted them into her a - n - u - s ...and thus her mongoloid daughter Angela was spawned...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:05:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > We don't have to no, but I prefer it to having a bunch of bins lined up
>> > waiting for the collectors in the week.

>> A bunch of bins? We have one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables.
>> Provided by the company contracted by our local government to provide
>> rubbish hauling services. Each of them is a 95-gallon (0.35 cubic meter)
>> wheeled thing that can be picked up by a pair of arms on the collection
>> truck.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Same here. But I opted several years ago for 64 gallon trash and 64 gallon
>recyclable cans. My neighborhood is a bit over 100 years old so we have
>alleys and the trash guys have to roll our bins up to the truck and hook
>them on the back. Then they are hoisted into the air and dumped. Out in
>suburbs it's just one guy in the truck and the arm reaches out and picks
>up the bin and empties it.
>
>Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
>she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
>in the week."

If the municipality gives you certain size bins and collects every
week, why would you want to keep the bins back until they are filled
(months later) with rotting and smelly stuff? I can fill the recycle
and the compost but there is no way I can fill the trash. But I put
them out anyway because I am getting charged whether they are full or
not.

Your Recycling Gets Recycled, Right? Maybe, or Maybe Not U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 8 04-06-2018 12:20 AM
Recycling Nancy2 General Cooking 1 31-05-2011 04:05 PM
recycling potentiel? Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 2 31-12-2010 02:39 AM
National Recycling Day? On Sunday? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 15-11-2009 03:01 PM
recycling, booring naked on the phone General Cooking 14 01-11-2006 02:00 AM