Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Safe Chicken Temperatures, Even if It’s Pink!

Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
some negative comments but read it anyway.
Janet US
http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 8:19:51 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
> some negative comments but read it anyway.
> Janet US
> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

I make a great fried chicken. The simple secret to great fried chicken is to not overcook the bird. My sense of timing is pretty awesome but a lot of people just have a lousy sense of time. In that case, the easy way to make a great fried chicken is sous vide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZ3U5Gabmw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 8:19:51 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
> some negative comments but read it anyway.
> Janet US
> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

I make a great fried chicken. The simple secret to great fried chicken is to
not overcook the bird. My sense of timing is pretty awesome but a lot of
people just have a lousy sense of time. In that case, the easy way to make a
great fried chicken is sous vide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZ3U5Gabmw

==

It is very pretty)

Btw I sous vide many things but never chicken. Or are you saying you sous
vide the chicken so you can coat it and fry fast?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2019 2:19 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
> some negative comments but read it anyway.
> Janet US
> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

There you go, upsetting old tradition with facts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 20:42:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/11/2019 2:19 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
>> some negative comments but read it anyway.
>> Janet US
>> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka
>>

>There you go, upsetting old tradition with facts.

Yep. I like doing that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:04:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> It is very pretty)
>
> Btw I sous vide many things but never chicken. Or are you saying you sous
> vide the chicken so you can coat it and fry fast?

Cooking the chicken until done and then deep frying at high heat to finish off the coating is a quick and efficient way to do things. You don't have to do a balancing act to do two separate things when making fried chicken.

The Chinese are experts at double and triple cooking dishes but Western cooks are somewhat reluctant to take extra steps when making dishes. I suspect that techniques like sous vide will help open the door to these old but practical ways of food preparation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:19:43 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
> some negative comments but read it anyway.
> Janet US
> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

I just barely glanced at the article, but this is the chart we use
for sous vide (you can just scroll down to the chart). It's
compiled and endorsed by the USDA.

http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/pa...i_018__all.pdf

It never made it to final rule, though, so manufacturers can't use
it.

The one for beef did, though:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/co...33f_appendix+a

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:31:54 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:19:43 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
>> some negative comments but read it anyway.
>> Janet US
>> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

> I just barely glanced at the article, but this is the chart we use
> for sous vide (you can just scroll down to the chart). It's
> compiled and endorsed by the USDA.
>
> http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/pa...i_018__all.pdf
>
> It never made it to final rule, though, so manufacturers can't use
> it.

I guess your article wasn't really about what I thought it was
about. My point was that chicken can be cooked at a mere 130F and
still be just as safe as chicken cooked to 175F.

This is important when you cook sous vide. Truthfully, eating
chicken cooked to anything less than 150F is kinda gross after
eating it cooked to 165F most of your life.

This beef chart, though, is a godsend. Fully pasteurized beef
cooked at any temperature.

> The one for beef did, though:
>
> https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/co...33f_appendix+a

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:19:43 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
>> some negative comments but read it anyway.
>> Janet US
>> http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

>I just barely glanced at the article, but this is the chart we use
>for sous vide (you can just scroll down to the chart). It's
>compiled and endorsed by the USDA.
>
>http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/pa...i_018__all.pdf
>
>It never made it to final rule, though, so manufacturers can't use
>it.
>
>The one for beef did, though:
>
>https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/co...33f_appendix+a
>
>-sw

What I found interesting about the article I posted was the
explanation of 'pinkness.' I had know about the immature bones thing
but not the rest of it.
Thank you for sharing you info.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:04:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> It is very pretty)
>
> Btw I sous vide many things but never chicken. Or are you saying you
> sous
> vide the chicken so you can coat it and fry fast?

Cooking the chicken until done and then deep frying at high heat to finish
off the coating is a quick and efficient way to do things. You don't have to
do a balancing act to do two separate things when making fried chicken.

The Chinese are experts at double and triple cooking dishes but Western
cooks are somewhat reluctant to take extra steps when making dishes. I
suspect that techniques like sous vide will help open the door to these old
but practical ways of food preparation.

==

Interesting, I never mind doing that and I often brown things off, once they
are out of the sous vide, although I am not sure that is the same thing

Thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On 3/11/2019 2:19 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

Really interesting article with lots of info. There are sure to be
some negative comments but read it anyway.
Janet US
http://tinyurl.com/y466jgka

===

Thanks very much for that! I am often concerned when I cook a chicken, the
thermo says it is well done, but it is still pink inside.

That is most reassuring)