Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: white and pink Burgundy, pink Sekt, Beaujolais

Betsy mentioned she would miss ham for Easter as we're going to her
pesce-vegetarian sister's, and my helper said he was sad he wasn't
having ham, too. So it seemed a given that I would combat their "loss"
with a ham, using a thyme/butter/honey glaze. I also did asparagus and
kale, and opened the 2007 Frederic Magnien Bourgogne Rose. Which kinda
sucked. Pale copper color , pale flavor. Based on my limited
experiences with Magnien's wine, the dilution is a surprise. Better
than water, if you like a little alcohol. C

Seldom do I decide a bottle is not worth drinking, but this was one of
those times. I offered Betsy the options of dry rose, sparkling rose,
off dry white, or light red. She said sparkling rose, and I opened the
2007 Latitude 50 Spatburgunder Brut Rose. This very pale rose was
quite tasty, bright, clean, strawberry and plum, nice texture. $15
sparklers I like are rare, roses even rarer, this isn't compelling but
I'll probably get one or two more. B

A friend came by Saturday afternoon from visiting his mom in Rhode
Island, brought by a couple of local specialties, snail salad
(actually scungilli, not escargot) and "stuffies" (stuffed clams). A
white to try with that, the 2007 Domaine des Vieilles Pierres (J.J.
Litaud) Macon-Vergisson. Fairly broad/rich for a Macon, moderate
acidity, a bit of mineral on the finish. Fairly priced at $14-15. B

A while later, I needed real dinner, and had a little leftover
brisket, quinoa, and salad. Wine was the 2007*JP Brun*(Terres
Dorees)*Cote de*Brouilly.
Nice ripe red berries and cherries, a light mocha note, good length.
I've been somewhat unenthusiastic (at least re my usual Brun fandom)
of this bottling in some previous vintages, but quite enjoy this one.
Medium bodied, light tannins, nice juicy acidity, good length. Very
tasty. Taking the leftover Macon and Beaujolais to an Easter party
today, we'll see how it holds up. B++

*

TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 05:25 PM
TN: Pink Beaujolais DaleW Wine 9 15-05-2009 04:25 PM
TN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire DaleW Wine 0 05-02-2009 05:27 PM
Red, white or pink - it's OK! st.helier[_1_] Wine 0 15-10-2008 08:30 AM
White Cake with Pink Frosting Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-07-2007 07:20 PM