Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hammin' it up

Â* Well , I got all the beef and the 2 bags of chicken breasts divided
up and in the freezer . We have enough steaks in there now for a steak
dinner for 2 about every 3 weeks for the next year . The sirloin tip
yielded one 3 pound and 2 2 pound roasts plus 3 packages around a pound
anna half for soup/stew/fajita/stirfry . But I digress ! One of the
things that came out of the freezer to make room was a 10 1/2 pound
Smithfield shank ham - hickory smoked , sez so on the package . That's
going in the oven around 2:30 or so for our dinner tonight ... and
leftovers . My favorite leftovers , ham . I haven't decided on sides yet
, but it'll probably be some kind of taters and a salad plus another
veggie . Mama doesn't much care for ham gravy , so I'll just reserve the
drippin's for a pot of beans when we get the ham bone whittled down
enough . BTW , last night's steak dinner came off well , neither of us
could finish our steak . Dem wuz some bigass ribeyes from last year even
after trimmin' most of the fat rind off .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 14:49:39 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

> * Well , I got all the beef and the 2 bags of chicken breasts divided
>up and in the freezer . We have enough steaks in there now for a steak
>dinner for 2 about every 3 weeks for the next year . The sirloin tip
>yielded one 3 pound and 2 2 pound roasts plus 3 packages around a pound
>anna half for soup/stew/fajita/stirfry . But I digress ! One of the
>things that came out of the freezer to make room was a 10 1/2 pound
>Smithfield shank ham - hickory smoked , sez so on the package . That's
>going in the oven around 2:30 or so for our dinner tonight ... and
>leftovers . My favorite leftovers , ham . I haven't decided on sides yet
>, but it'll probably be some kind of taters and a salad plus another
>veggie . Mama doesn't much care for ham gravy , so I'll just reserve the
>drippin's for a pot of beans when we get the ham bone whittled down
>enough . BTW , last night's steak dinner came off well , neither of us
>could finish our steak . Dem wuz some bigass ribeyes from last year even
>after trimmin' most of the fat rind off .

leftover steak makes good sandwiches the next day - just sayin' ;-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2019 5:38 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 14:49:39 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> Â* Well , I got all the beef and the 2 bags of chicken breasts divided
>> up and in the freezer . We have enough steaks in there now for a steak
>> dinner for 2 about every 3 weeks for the next year . The sirloin tip
>> yielded one 3 pound and 2 2 pound roasts plus 3 packages around a pound
>> anna half for soup/stew/fajita/stirfry . But I digress ! One of the
>> things that came out of the freezer to make room was a 10 1/2 pound
>> Smithfield shank ham - hickory smoked , sez so on the package . That's
>> going in the oven around 2:30 or so for our dinner tonight ... and
>> leftovers . My favorite leftovers , ham . I haven't decided on sides yet
>> , but it'll probably be some kind of taters and a salad plus another
>> veggie . Mama doesn't much care for ham gravy , so I'll just reserve the
>> drippin's for a pot of beans when we get the ham bone whittled down
>> enough . BTW , last night's steak dinner came off well , neither of us
>> could finish our steak . Dem wuz some bigass ribeyes from last year even
>> after trimmin' most of the fat rind off .

> leftover steak makes good sandwiches the next day - just sayin' ;-)
> Janet US

Â* It also makes great lunches for my wife to take to work ... I've been
chastised for not making more leftovers .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:49:30 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

> One of the
> things that came out of the freezer to make room was a 10 1/2 pound
> Smithfield shank ham - hickory smoked , sez so on the package . That's
> going in the oven around 2:30 or so for our dinner tonight ... and
> leftovers . My favorite leftovers , ham . I haven't decided on sides yet
> , but it'll probably be some kind of taters and a salad plus another
> veggie.

Fried apples would make a tasty side dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Terry Coombs wrote:
> BTW , last night's steak dinner came off well , neither of us
> >could finish our steak.

> leftover steak makes good sandwiches the next day - just sayin' ;-)

I agree completely. I always save some leftover steak even if I
could happily finish it at dinner. It's for the next day steak
sandwiches:

- one piece of buttered and toasted white bread
- fold in half like a bun and add thinly sliced leftover steak
- I don't reheat the steak either. Delicious half-sandwich!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 14:49:39 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

> But I digress ! One of the
> things that came out of the freezer to make room was a 10 1/2 pound
> Smithfield shank ham - hickory smoked , sez so on the package .

I stopped buying Smithfield hams a few years ago when they started
pumping them full of water. I bet that ham says "Water Added" or
"Ham and Water Product".

Fricks whole/half hams for me only now.

-sw