Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Supper tonight..... rack of lamb

My wife bought a rack of lamb the other day but I somehow ended up
having to cook it. Apparently she had planned to do it the way I had
once done it for her, but she was busy with something so I had to take
over and do supper.

It was an 8 rib rack. I very finely minced two medium sized cloves of
garlic. They went into a bowl with about a half cup of bread crumbs with
a mixture of about herbs, about one tablespoon total. I used rosemary,
thyme and savory. A cast iron pan was heated up, some olive oil added
and the the ribs were brown on all the ends and fatty side and top. Then
I brushed it with Dijon mustard and then pushed the ends and outside
into the crumb mixture in the bowl and extra crumbs pushed onto all
parts. The Frenched bones were wrapped in foil and the rack went into a
375 oven for 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> My wife bought a rack of lamb the other day but I somehow ended up having
> to cook it. Apparently she had planned to do it the way I had once done it
> for her, but she was busy with something so I had to take over and do
> supper.
>
> It was an 8 rib rack. I very finely minced two medium sized cloves of
> garlic. They went into a bowl with about a half cup of bread crumbs with a
> mixture of about herbs, about one tablespoon total. I used rosemary,
> thyme and savory. A cast iron pan was heated up, some olive oil added and
> the the ribs were brown on all the ends and fatty side and top. Then I
> brushed it with Dijon mustard and then pushed the ends and outside into
> the crumb mixture in the bowl and extra crumbs pushed onto all parts. The
> Frenched bones were wrapped in foil and the rack went into a 375 oven for
> 30 minutes.

Black bean soup for me. Very fresh dried beans. Were overcooked at 45 min.
with a quick soak. Still yummy though. No recipe. Added some of the bean
liquid, chopped fresh Roma tomatoes, sliced green onions, cilantro, dried
jalapenos, squeeze of lime, salt and pepper. Garnished with tortilla strips
and medium cheddar. Cojita would be better but had none.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2019 8:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> My wife bought a rack of lamb the other day but I somehow ended up
> having to cook it. Apparently she had planned to do it the way I had
> once done it for her, but she was busy with something so I had to take
> over and do supper.
>
> It was an 8 rib rack.Â* I very finely minced two medium sized cloves of
> garlic. They went into a bowl with about a half cup of bread crumbs with
> a mixture of about herbs, about one tablespoon total.Â* I used rosemary,
> thyme and savory. A cast iron pan was heated up, some olive oil added
> and the the ribs were brown on all the ends and fatty side and top. Then
> I brushed it with Dijon mustard and then pushed the ends and outside
> into the crumb mixture in the bowl and extra crumbs pushed onto all
> parts.Â* The Frenched bones were wrapped in foil and the rack went into a
> 375 oven for 30 minutes.

Sounds tasty! I have yet to buy a rack of lamb. They're rather hard to
find here. I can find lots of cuts of lamb but the rack of ribs, not so
much. Perhaps closer to Easter (for some reason it's symbolic). I'd
love to give this a try.

Anything in particular side dish suggested to go with it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-05 8:55 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/3/2019 8:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> It was an 8 rib rack.Â* I very finely minced two medium sized cloves of
>> garlic. They went into a bowl with about a half cup of bread crumbs
>> with a mixture of about herbs, about one tablespoon total.Â* I used
>> rosemary, thyme and savory. A cast iron pan was heated up, some olive
>> oil added and the the ribs were brown on all the ends and fatty side
>> and top. Then I brushed it with Dijon mustard and then pushed the ends
>> and outside into the crumb mixture in the bowl and extra crumbs pushed
>> onto all parts.Â* The Frenched bones were wrapped in foil and the rack
>> went into a 375 oven for 30 minutes.
>>

> Sounds tasty!Â* I have yet to buy a rack of lamb.Â* They're rather hard to
> find here.Â* I can find lots of cuts of lamb but the rack of ribs, not so
> much. Perhaps closer to Easter (for some reason it's symbolic).Â* I'd
> love to give this a try.

It is one of my favourite cuts of meat. Roasted lamb is quite common as
an Easter meal but I don't think that racks are. A rack barely feeds
two, and they would be pretty expensive for a crowd. We usually reserve
them for a special dinner for the two of us.

> Anything in particular side dish suggested to go with it?

I always like asparagus with lamb, but carrots, peas or beans would be
good. Saute mixed vegetables would be great. Roasted potatoes or
garlic mashed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Sounds tasty! I have yet to buy a rack of lamb. They're rather hard to
> find here. I can find lots of cuts of lamb but the rack of ribs, not so
> much. Perhaps closer to Easter (for some reason it's symbolic). I'd
> love to give this a try.
>
> Anything in particular side dish suggested to go with it?

Something minty? Mint ice cream or Junior Mints? I haven't eaten lamb
in thirty years, but I ate and loved it as a kid. My wife hates it
so...
Ducks Unlimited used to have a lamb feed in the Spring. Whole lambs
were roasted on a spit. As I was a part of the organization then,
that's the last time I ate lamb. Oh, lamb and mountain oysters.
I ate a hard roll sandwich full of mountain oysters, before someone
told me what they were. I thought they were short fat sausages. They
tasted fine, but I don't yearn for them.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2019 5:00 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds tasty! I have yet to buy a rack of lamb. They're rather hard to
>> find here. I can find lots of cuts of lamb but the rack of ribs, not so
>> much. Perhaps closer to Easter (for some reason it's symbolic). I'd
>> love to give this a try.
>>
>> Anything in particular side dish suggested to go with it?

> Something minty? Mint ice cream or Junior Mints? I haven't eaten lamb
> in thirty years, but I ate and loved it as a kid. My wife hates it
> so...

Never did understand mint sauce or mint whatever with lamb. I was
thinking more like asparagus or even steamed artichokes.

> Ducks Unlimited used to have a lamb feed in the Spring. Whole lambs
> were roasted on a spit. As I was a part of the organization then,
> that's the last time I ate lamb. Oh, lamb and mountain oysters.
> I ate a hard roll sandwich full of mountain oysters, before someone
> told me what they were. I thought they were short fat sausages. They
> tasted fine, but I don't yearn for them.
>
> leo

Uh, no thanks to the mountain oysters.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Sounds tasty! I have yet to buy a rack of lamb. They're rather hard to
> find here. I can find lots of cuts of lamb but the rack of ribs, not so
> much. Perhaps closer to Easter (for some reason it's symbolic). I'd
> love to give this a try.
>
> Anything in particular side dish suggested to go with it?

Something minty? Mint ice cream or Junior Mints? I haven't eaten lamb
in thirty years, but I ate and loved it as a kid. My wife hates it
so...
Ducks Unlimited used to have a lamb feed in the Spring. Whole lambs
were roasted on a spit. As I was a part of the organization then,
that's the last time I ate lamb. Oh, lamb and mountain oysters.
I ate a hard roll sandwich full of mountain oysters, before someone
told me what they were. I thought they were short fat sausages. They
tasted fine, but I don't yearn for them.

leo

==

What are mountain oysters?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> What are mountain oysters?

They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> What are mountain oysters?

They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.

leo

==

Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>
> In article >, Ophelia
> > wrote:
>
> > What are mountain oysters?

> They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
> to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
> nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
>
> leo
>
> ==
>
> Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!

Waste nothing. Nose to tail.

Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be unpleasant.

It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 6:15 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
>> to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
>> nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
>>
>> leo
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!

> Waste nothing. Nose to tail.
>
> Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be unpleasant.
>
> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.

It's curious that so many people buy into the story about the native
people not wasting animal parts, that the entire animal is consumed.
That's not entirely true for the native people but it is for the modern
food business. Between the butchering for meat, the tanning of hides,
pink slime, gelatin, soup, dog and cat food etc, there is almost
nothing wasted when a farm animal is slaughtered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:15:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
> >
> > In article >, Ophelia
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > What are mountain oysters?

> > They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
> > to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
> > nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
> >
> > leo
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!

> Waste nothing. Nose to tail.
>
> Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be unpleasant.
>
> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

a friend of mine, his mother used to do something with pig snouts. there was a recipe in 'gourmet' magazine for pig snouts braised in maple syrup. the method for doing this has been replaced by newer memories.
we used to butcher our own hogs. the older people ate a broth made with organ meats; even the lung. i never did partake. i like chicken liver, but haven't had it for years. beef tongue is also good if done correctly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>
> In article >, Ophelia
> > wrote:
>
> > What are mountain oysters?

> They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
> to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
> nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
>
> leo
>
> ==
>
> Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!

Waste nothing. Nose to tail.

Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be
unpleasant.

It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.

Cindy Hamilton

==

I guess so)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:15:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
> >
> > In article >, Ophelia
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > What are mountain oysters?

> > They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
> > to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
> > nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
> >
> > leo
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be food!!

> Waste nothing. Nose to tail.
>
> Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be
> unpleasant.
>
> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

a friend of mine, his mother used to do something with pig snouts. there
was a recipe in 'gourmet' magazine for pig snouts braised in maple syrup.
the method for doing this has been replaced by newer memories.
we used to butcher our own hogs. the older people ate a broth made with
organ meats; even the lung. i never did partake. i like chicken liver, but
haven't had it for years. beef tongue is also good if done correctly.

==

I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "A Moose in Love"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:15:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "Leonard Blaisdell"Â* wrote in message
>> >
>> > In article >, Ophelia

>> > They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
>> > to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
>> > nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
>> >
>> > leo
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh dear.Â* I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be

>> food!!
>>
>> Waste nothing.Â* Nose to tail.
>>
>> Not that I eat that way.Â* I find the texture of organ meats to be
>> unpleasant.
>>
>> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> a friend of mine, his mother used to do something with pig snouts.
> there was a recipe in 'gourmet' magazine for pig snouts braised in maple
> syrup. the method for doing this has been replaced by newer memories.
> we used to butcher our own hogs.Â* the older people ate a broth made with
> organ meats; even the lung.Â* i never did partake.Â* i like chicken liver,
> but haven't had it for years.Â* beef tongue is also good if done correctly.
>
> ==
>
> I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

I guess Haggis is out of the question, then?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:07:42 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/7/2019 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "A Moose in Love"* wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:15:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Waste nothing.* Nose to tail.
>>>
>>> Not that I eat that way.* I find the texture of organ meats to be
>>> unpleasant.
>>>
>>> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.

Only an Anglo would call them the nasty bits.

>> a friend of mine, his mother used to do something with pig snouts.
>> there was a recipe in 'gourmet' magazine for pig snouts braised in maple
>> syrup. the method for doing this has been replaced by newer memories.
>> we used to butcher our own hogs.* the older people ate a broth made with
>> organ meats; even the lung.* i never did partake.* i like chicken liver,
>> but haven't had it for years.* beef tongue is also good if done correctly.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)
>>

>I guess Haggis is out of the question, then?

Even lightly salted?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:19:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:07:42 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 3/7/2019 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Only an Anglo would call them the nasty bits.

I'm sure not all Anglos would. Recall I don't even like dark-meat chicken.

I've tried a bunch of "variety" meats from tongue to testicles. The idea
doesn't bother me. It's mainly the texture.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:53:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

You probably won't like Mexican chorizo. It takes a while to figure out how to handle the stuff but I make it awfully tasty. My guess is that back in the old days, the only thing the Mexican peons could get their hands on was cow cheeks.

"Pork salivary glands, lymph nodes & fat (cheeks), paprika, soy flour, vinegar, salt, spices red pepper, garlic, sodium nitrate."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 3/7/2019 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "A Moose in Love" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:15:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>> >
>> > In article >, Ophelia

>> > They're testicles. In my case, they were sheep testicles. Cattle seem
>> > to be on the menu too, although I haven't tasted those. They're good if
>> > nobody tells you what they are before you eat them.
>> >
>> > leo
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh dear. I can't believe anyone at all would consider them to be

>> food!!
>>
>> Waste nothing. Nose to tail.
>>
>> Not that I eat that way. I find the texture of organ meats to be
>> unpleasant.
>>
>> It's a luxury we have nowadays, to leave the nasty bits for someone else.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> a friend of mine, his mother used to do something with pig snouts. there
> was a recipe in 'gourmet' magazine for pig snouts braised in maple syrup.
> the method for doing this has been replaced by newer memories.
> we used to butcher our own hogs. the older people ate a broth made with
> organ meats; even the lung. i never did partake. i like chicken liver,
> but haven't had it for years. beef tongue is also good if done correctly.
>
> ==
>
> I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

I guess Haggis is out of the question, then?

Jill

==

How did you guess???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:53:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

You probably won't like Mexican chorizo. It takes a while to figure out how
to handle the stuff but I make it awfully tasty. My guess is that back in
the old days, the only thing the Mexican peons could get their hands on was
cow cheeks.

"Pork salivary glands, lymph nodes & fat (cheeks), paprika, soy flour,
vinegar, salt, spices red pepper, garlic, sodium nitrate."

===

Gulp!!! Please have my share ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 10:44:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:53:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ==
> >
> > I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

> You probably won't like Mexican chorizo. It takes a while to figure out how
> to handle the stuff but I make it awfully tasty. My guess is that back in
> the old days, the only thing the Mexican peons could get their hands on was
> cow cheeks.
>
> "Pork salivary glands, lymph nodes & fat (cheeks), paprika, soy flour,
> vinegar, salt, spices red pepper, garlic, sodium nitrate."
>
> ===
>
> Gulp!!! Please have my share ...

That's always the problem - getting people to eat the stuff once they know what's it's made from. It's the same thing with mountain oysters, although in that case, people won't eat them if they think it's oysters. That's the good thing about mountain oysters - after eating them, real oysters don't seem so gross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 10:44:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 6:53:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ==
> >
> > I am not a big eater anyway, but all that stuff puts me right off)

> You probably won't like Mexican chorizo. It takes a while to figure out
> how
> to handle the stuff but I make it awfully tasty. My guess is that back in
> the old days, the only thing the Mexican peons could get their hands on
> was
> cow cheeks.
>
> "Pork salivary glands, lymph nodes & fat (cheeks), paprika, soy flour,
> vinegar, salt, spices red pepper, garlic, sodium nitrate."
>
> ===
>
> Gulp!!! Please have my share ...

That's always the problem - getting people to eat the stuff once they know
what's it's made from. It's the same thing with mountain oysters, although
in that case, people won't eat them if they think it's oysters. That's the
good thing about mountain oysters - after eating them, real oysters don't
seem so gross.
==

I will take your word for that)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:58:06 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:19:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:07:42 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> Only an Anglo would call them the nasty bits.

>I'm sure not all Anglos would. Recall I don't even like dark-meat chicken.
>
>I've tried a bunch of "variety" meats from tongue to testicles. The idea
>doesn't bother me. It's mainly the texture.

When I still ate meat, my favourite was liver.

The rack of lamb Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 1 03-01-2018 01:40 AM
Supper tonight..... Lamb burgers Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 2 21-06-2017 06:36 AM
Rack of Lamb? Bubba Wine 6 06-06-2005 04:00 PM
Rack of lamb... Katra General Cooking 40 23-05-2004 07:59 PM