Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar consumption

From and MSN article:
Sugar consumption spikes
The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
recommended 13.3 teaspoons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 19:26:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> From and MSN article:
>Sugar consumption spikes
>The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
>health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
>campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
>pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
>pounds today—or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
>recommended 13.3 teaspoons.

I said GOD DAMN!!!

Who the hell eats 42.5 teaspoons of sugar a day?

let me restate that.. what kind of person would eat that much sugar a
day... I have 2-4 with my coffee, if I eat pancakes maybe 2 more if I
have a salad with the dressing that I make maybe 1/4 more
if I have a drink at night maybe 1 more
with dinner maybe 2-3 more....
lets say an extra for errors and that is less than 11 max

42.5 freakin teaspoons of sugar.....
I say GOD DAMN!!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> From and MSN article:
> Sugar consumption spikes
> The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
> health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
> campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
> pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
> pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the recommended
> 13.3 teaspoons.

I believe that. Sickly sweet coffee along with pastry. Sugar added to things
that should never have it. Saw a recipe the other day that used canned green
beans, turkey bacon and 2 cups of brown sugar. Gag me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From and MSN article:
> Sugar consumption spikes
> The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
> health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
> campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
> pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
> pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
> recommended 13.3 teaspoons.

i wonder how that graph looks when compared to
diabetes/pancreaitis/pancreatic cancer rates...

i have never had any doubts about the problem
as you commonly see people with their 32+oz cups
of fizzy sugar water/etc all over the place (
even small children!).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
> > From an MSN article:
> > Sugar consumption spikes
> > about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the recommended
> > 13.3 teaspoons.

> I believe that. Sickly sweet coffee along with pastry.

Go into a 7-11 in the morning before 9am. People lined up to buy
coffee and donuts. arrgh Many add lots of sugar to that coffee
too. As Jill often says, "I just can't imagine doing that."

My first cup of coffee (12oz) at home I *lightly* (TM-Jill) add
1/2 tsp sugar and a little milk. The rest of the coffee from my
morning pot (about 16 oz), I drink plain black with no sugar. I
often don't even finish that but it's ok even when cold. Just
something to sip on.

> Saw a recipe the other day that used canned green
> beans, turkey bacon and 2 cups of brown sugar. Gag me!

No! >;-| You DID NOT see any such recipe, Julie. No recipe ever
calls for 2 cups of brown sugar unless you are looking at one of
Sheldon's Navy recipes for 400 seamen, cooked in a 50 gallon
barrel.

If you saw that recipe just "the other day," post it here. Should
be easy to find again. I'd like to see your recipe for green
beans, turkey bacon and *2 cups of brown sugar*.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 8:08:34 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
> > > From an MSN article:
> > > Sugar consumption spikes
> > > about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the recommended
> > > 13.3 teaspoons.

> > I believe that. Sickly sweet coffee along with pastry.

> Go into a 7-11 in the morning before 9am. People lined up to buy
> coffee and donuts. arrgh Many add lots of sugar to that coffee
> too. As Jill often says, "I just can't imagine doing that."
>
> My first cup of coffee (12oz) at home I *lightly* (TM-Jill) add
> 1/2 tsp sugar and a little milk. The rest of the coffee from my
> morning pot (about 16 oz), I drink plain black with no sugar. I
> often don't even finish that but it's ok even when cold. Just
> something to sip on.
>

> > Saw a recipe the other day that used canned green
> > beans, turkey bacon and 2 cups of brown sugar. Gag me!

> No! >;-| You DID NOT see any such recipe, Julie. No recipe ever
> calls for 2 cups of brown sugar unless you are looking at one of
> Sheldon's Navy recipes for 400 seamen, cooked in a 50 gallon
> barrel.
>
> If you saw that recipe just "the other day," post it here. Should
> be easy to find again. I'd like to see your recipe for green
> beans, turkey bacon and *2 cups of brown sugar*.

If she doesn't provide a citation...

The worst "bacon, green beans and brown sugar" recipe I found called
for 2 pounds of green beans and 2/3 cup brown sugar. Still gag-worthy,
but a long way from 2 cups.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2019 6:42 AM, songbird wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> From and MSN article:
>> Sugar consumption spikes
>> The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
>> health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
>> campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
>> pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
>> pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
>> recommended 13.3 teaspoons.

> i wonder how that graph looks when compared to
> diabetes/pancreaitis/pancreatic cancer rates...
>
> i have never had any doubts about the problem
> as you commonly see people with their 32+oz cups
> of fizzy sugar water/etc all over the place (
> even small children!).
>

> songbird

I like sugar and sweets, but could not consume that much. My beverage
of choice is water. If we stop at a fast food for a qiuck lunch, wife
and I will split a small drink, but there is a bottle of cold water in
the car.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2019 5:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From and MSN article:
> Sugar consumption spikes
> The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
> health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
> campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
> pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
> pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
> recommended 13.3 teaspoons.

Yep.

Today's Yoplait yogurt has roughly 4.3 teaspoons of sugar, in it. About
the same as a 12oz can of soda.

There's already a couple anti-sugar documentaries (none good) about
massive sugar replacement in "low fat" foods. Mostly pushed by one of
the sugar "Council's".

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-03 4:42 a.m., songbird wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> From and MSN article:
>> Sugar consumption spikes
>> The sugar industry began funding research in the 1960s to minimize the
>> health risks of sugar and emphasize the dangers of fat. The marketing
>> campaign apparently worked, as sugar consumption exploded from a couple
>> pounds per person per year to 123 pounds per person in 1970 and to 152
>> pounds today€”or about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the
>> recommended 13.3 teaspoons.

> i wonder how that graph looks when compared to
> diabetes/pancreaitis/pancreatic cancer rates...
>
> i have never had any doubts about the problem
> as you commonly see people with their 32+oz cups
> of fizzy sugar water/etc all over the place (
> even small children!).
>

> songbird

Not only that but cookies and cakes are also loaded with sugar. It was
something I noticed when I arrived in N. Am. When using any cookie
recipe, I always cut back the sugar content by half, and they are still
a bit too sweet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> Not only that but cookies and cakes are also loaded with sugar. It was
> something I noticed when I arrived in N. Am. When using any cookie
> recipe, I always cut back the sugar content by half, and they are still
> a bit too sweet.

it's not just cookie/cakes but also things
like a chocolate or candy bar - if i want
anything decent tasting i have to make it
myself.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Today's Yoplait yogurt has roughly 4.3 teaspoons of sugar, in it. About
> the same as a 12oz can of soda.

ick, i've never really liked the sweetened
yogurts. if that's all that is available i
try to get the ones with fruit on the bottom
and scrape off the top, but even those are way
too sweet for me.

i've always liked the plain yogurts (whole
milk the best) because of the tart aspect from
the lactic acid.

when i make a quick cheese cake i always add
extra lemon juice to it for more of a zip. in
the most recent batch i was thinking i should
cut the sweetened condensed milk in half and
try some plain condensed milk instead and see
if that is better. the cream cheese is kinda
sweet itself as it is...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 2:13:09 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> graham wrote:
> > Not only that but cookies and cakes are also loaded with sugar. It was
> > something I noticed when I arrived in N. Am. When using any cookie
> > recipe, I always cut back the sugar content by half, and they are still
> > a bit too sweet.

> it's not just cookie/cakes but also things
> like a chocolate or candy bar - if i want
> anything decent tasting i have to make it
> myself.
>

> songbird

Happily, I like plain chocolate, so good quality candy bars are easy
to find.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 2:13:10 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> notbob wrote:
> > Today's Yoplait yogurt has roughly 4.3 teaspoons of sugar, in it. About
> > the same as a 12oz can of soda.

> ick, i've never really liked the sweetened
> yogurts. if that's all that is available i
> try to get the ones with fruit on the bottom
> and scrape off the top, but even those are way
> too sweet for me.
>
> i've always liked the plain yogurts (whole
> milk the best) because of the tart aspect from
> the lactic acid.
>
> when i make a quick cheese cake i always add
> extra lemon juice to it for more of a zip. in
> the most recent batch i was thinking i should
> cut the sweetened condensed milk in half and
> try some plain condensed milk instead and see
> if that is better. the cream cheese is kinda
> sweet itself as it is...
>

> songbird

Sweetened condensed milk in a cheesecake? Huh. Never
heard of it. Here's what I use:

Filling:
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

No lemon with dairy for me.

But what really makes the cheesecake for me is the crust:

1/4 pound butter, melted
16 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (1 square = 4 crackers)
1/4 cup brown sugar

It's the brown sugar that does it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>> > From an MSN article:
>> > Sugar consumption spikes
>> > about 42.5 teaspoons per day, compared to the recommended
>> > 13.3 teaspoons.

>> I believe that. Sickly sweet coffee along with pastry.

> Go into a 7-11 in the morning before 9am. People lined up to buy
> coffee and donuts. arrgh Many add lots of sugar to that coffee
> too. As Jill often says, "I just can't imagine doing that."
>
> My first cup of coffee (12oz) at home I *lightly* (TM-Jill) add
> 1/2 tsp sugar and a little milk. The rest of the coffee from my
> morning pot (about 16 oz), I drink plain black with no sugar. I
> often don't even finish that but it's ok even when cold. Just
> something to sip on.
>

>> Saw a recipe the other day that used canned green
>> beans, turkey bacon and 2 cups of brown sugar. Gag me!

> No! >;-| You DID NOT see any such recipe, Julie. No recipe ever
> calls for 2 cups of brown sugar unless you are looking at one of
> Sheldon's Navy recipes for 400 seamen, cooked in a 50 gallon
> barrel.
>
> If you saw that recipe just "the other day," post it here. Should
> be easy to find again. I'd like to see your recipe for green
> beans, turkey bacon and *2 cups of brown sugar*.

Here it is. Copied from the FB page, 19 Scandals and Counting. I stand
corrected on the canned. They are frozen green beans. I assumed canned
because most of what they eat comes from cans.

19 Scandals and Counting "These green beans are sure to be a favorite with
everyone! At the €śbig house€ť (Duggar home), wed usually serve these as a
side with beef brisket and party potatoes! This recipe makes one, large
industrial size pan, or two 9Ă—13€ł pans and serves about 20 people as a side.

5 lbs. green beans, whole, frozen

1 lb. turkey bacon, cut into chunks (or cook before for crispy bacon)

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup butter or margarine

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

Grease two 9Ă—13€ł pans (or one large industrial pan). Dump frozen green beans
into pan. Melt butter and add all remaining ingredients to pan. Stir. Bake
at 350 degrees for 30-45 min."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 2:13:10 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>> > Today's Yoplait yogurt has roughly 4.3 teaspoons of sugar, in it. About
>> > the same as a 12oz can of soda.

>> ick, i've never really liked the sweetened
>> yogurts. if that's all that is available i
>> try to get the ones with fruit on the bottom
>> and scrape off the top, but even those are way
>> too sweet for me.
>>
>> i've always liked the plain yogurts (whole
>> milk the best) because of the tart aspect from
>> the lactic acid.
>>
>> when i make a quick cheese cake i always add
>> extra lemon juice to it for more of a zip. in
>> the most recent batch i was thinking i should
>> cut the sweetened condensed milk in half and
>> try some plain condensed milk instead and see
>> if that is better. the cream cheese is kinda
>> sweet itself as it is...

> Sweetened condensed milk in a cheesecake? Huh. Never
> heard of it. Here's what I use:

look up cherry breeze recipe if you want the
original. it is a quick cheesecake filling (as i
said "quick" quite intentionally there).

> Filling:
> 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3 eggs well beaten
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> No lemon with dairy for me.
>
> But what really makes the cheesecake for me is the crust:
>
> 1/4 pound butter, melted
> 16 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (1 square = 4 crackers)
> 1/4 cup brown sugar
>
> It's the brown sugar that does it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

i don't make baked cheesecakes. i don't really
much like eggs in a lot of things and the other
thing is that we don't really like crusts for
pies or such so i like to make the quick filling
version and then just eat it as is or with some
fruit.

lately, i'm not even doing this. gotta pare
back the food until spring/summer - i'm getting
too plump again. lol

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> ick, i've never really liked the sweetened
>>> yogurts. if that's all that is available i
>>> try to get the ones with fruit on the bottom
>>> and scrape off the top, but even those are way
>>> too sweet for me.
>>>
>>> i've always liked the plain yogurts (whole
>>> milk the best) because of the tart aspect from
>>> the lactic acid.
>>>
>>> when i make a quick cheese cake i always add
>>> extra lemon juice to it for more of a zip. in
>>> the most recent batch i was thinking i should
>>> cut the sweetened condensed milk in half and
>>> try some plain condensed milk instead and see
>>> if that is better. the cream cheese is kinda
>>> sweet itself as it is...

>> Sweetened condensed milk in a cheesecake? Huh. Never
>> heard of it. Here's what I use:

> look up cherry breeze recipe if you want the
> original. it is a quick cheesecake filling (as i
> said "quick" quite intentionally there).
>

>> Filling:
>> 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 3 eggs well beaten
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>>
>> No lemon with dairy for me.
>>
>> But what really makes the cheesecake for me is the crust:
>>
>> 1/4 pound butter, melted
>> 16 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (1 square = 4 crackers)
>> 1/4 cup brown sugar
>>
>> It's the brown sugar that does it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> i don't make baked cheesecakes. i don't really
> much like eggs in a lot of things and the other
> thing is that we don't really like crusts for
> pies or such so i like to make the quick filling
> version and then just eat it as is or with some
> fruit.
>
> lately, i'm not even doing this. gotta pare
> back the food until spring/summer - i'm getting
> too plump again. lol

I always wondered why some people gained weight in the winter. Do they eat
different food? Have less activity? When I lived in areas with a lot of
snow, the shoveling provided a lot of activity. Otherwise I just exercise in
the house. I dance and use my weights. Since it's not hot in the house, I
can do more of that than I could in warmer months. Or maybe people eat less
during warmer months?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I always wondered why some people gained weight in the winter. Do they eat
> different food? Have less activity? When I lived in areas with a lot of
> snow, the shoveling provided a lot of activity. Otherwise I just exercise in
> the house. I dance and use my weights. Since it's not hot in the house, I
> can do more of that than I could in warmer months. Or maybe people eat less
> during warmer months?

for me it is much less exercise, we both like to
shovel snow and have never had a snow-blower, but
some years we don't get much snow. i hate exercise
for the sake of exercise so i have to reduce
calories all winter until spring returns and i can
get outside more.

walking the roads here in the winter is too often
a hazard otherwise we do that when we can or if
we're out we'll walk around the store, but it's
really not the same as what i do in the summer for
exercise (gardening as much as possible).

as an example, in the winter 1200 calories a day
is usually enough. in the summer i can quadruple
that.

when i used to practice Tai Chi i did better but
i haven't been able to get back to it as much as i
keep saying i'd like to... i also used to do basic
callistenics just to keep some tone/muscle strength
but once i get out of the habit it takes me a long
time to get back to it.

songbird