al

Default Coeliac friendly restuarants?

I've been looking for some time to find Coeliac friendly (ie. strictly
gluten-free) restaurants in the UK with no success. No matter what I Google
for I just find medical info on it and the odd recipe.

My mother in law suffers from it and the only restaurant we can bring her to
at the moment when she visits is a Harvester, as they have a gluten-free
menu (and nut-free) to compliment their normal menu. Surely some other
restaurants must do the same? I'm getting a little bored with going to the
same place all the time when they visit!!

In particular, does anyone know of any Oriental restaurants that cater for
Coeliacs? I found one once in Dublin and it was great. Very hard to
explain though if they don't know what you're on about - it's really best if
they're used to dealing with Coeliacs as even the most innocent of things
can cause problems (contaminated work surfaces or oil, soy sauce, etc.).

Frogleg

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:03:14 -0000, "al" >
wrote:

>I've been looking for some time to find Coeliac friendly (ie. strictly
>gluten-free) restaurants in the UK with no success. No matter what I Google
>for I just find medical info on it and the odd recipe.

Interesting that you found an Oriental restaurant that caters to a
coeliac diet, although the condition does seem to be more common on
the west coast of Ireland.

A search on

"gluten free" restaurant uk

produced a number of hits, incl.

http://www.wheat-free.org/out.html

Sometimes you have to ask Google different questions. :-)
al

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> A search on
>
> "gluten free" restaurant uk
>
> produced a number of hits, incl.
>
> http://www.wheat-free.org/out.html
>
> Sometimes you have to ask Google different questions. :-)

Thanks for the link - I had actually found that one before. Unfortunately,
when you look at it, it really doesn't have any content at all. John Lewis
and "Neals Yard" are the only restaurants anywhere near. The former is a
overpriced cafe and the latter is a cheese shop from what I can see!

Back to square one ... still can't find anything at all gluten free around
the London area

Katra

In article >,
"al" > wrote:

> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
> > A search on
> >
> > "gluten free" restaurant uk
> >
> > produced a number of hits, incl.
> >
> > http://www.wheat-free.org/out.html
> >
> > Sometimes you have to ask Google different questions. :-)

> Thanks for the link - I had actually found that one before. Unfortunately,
> when you look at it, it really doesn't have any content at all. John Lewis
> and "Neals Yard" are the only restaurants anywhere near. The former is a
> overpriced cafe and the latter is a cheese shop from what I can see!
>
> Back to square one ... still can't find anything at all gluten free around
> the London area

Geez.

Just eat at anyplace,
and order wheat free food.

How hard can it be????

K (in the same boat)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

al

"Katra" > wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> Geez.
>
> Just eat at anyplace,
> and order wheat free food.
>
> How hard can it be????
>
> K (in the same boat)

It can be extremely hard. Most waiters have no idea what you're talking
about and you rely on the chef to know what he/she is doing and advise them
correctly. It's the difference between being able to book a restaurant that
she can know there is plenty for her to eat in or the utter uncertainty of
wondering if there's anything at all you can eat (that you like). This
would be especially true in Far Eastern restaurants.

I can believe you'd make such a comment being in the same boat ...

Katra

In article >,
"al" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> > Geez.
> >
> > Just eat at anyplace,
> > and order wheat free food.
> >
> > How hard can it be????
> >
> > K (in the same boat)
> >

> It can be extremely hard. Most waiters have no idea what you're talking
> about and you rely on the chef to know what he/she is doing and advise them
> correctly. It's the difference between being able to book a restaurant that
> she can know there is plenty for her to eat in or the utter uncertainty of
> wondering if there's anything at all you can eat (that you like). This
> would be especially true in Far Eastern restaurants.
>
> I can believe you'd make such a comment being in the same boat ...

Yes,

You CAN believe it because I'm not a coward and know what to request at
an eating establishment. :-)

Special requirements are just that, and MOST chefs don't want their food
to be put down the garbage disposal because the customer was unable to
consume them! They have more pride than that. :-)

Just put your foot down. Silly. ;-D
And don't be afraid to let them know about your handicap...
It's more common than you think.

When I did some studying on wheat intolerance, it turns out that 20%, or
one in every 5 people, are intolerant to wheat protiens!!! It's ever so
common and it is yours (and my) job to eductate people...

K.

al > wrote:

> It can be extremely hard. Most waiters have no idea what you're talking
> about and you rely on the chef to know what he/she is doing and advise them
> correctly. It's the difference between being able to book a restaurant that
> she can know there is plenty for her to eat in or the utter uncertainty of
> wondering if there's anything at all you can eat (that you like). This
> would be especially true in Far Eastern restaurants.

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't something like a salad with
Russian dressing (or a vinigarette), steak (or chicken, or seafood),
with a potato and a green vegetable wheat free?

al

> wrote in message ...
> Maybe I am missing something, but isn't something like a salad with
> Russian dressing (or a vinigarette), steak (or chicken, or seafood),
> with a potato and a green vegetable wheat free?

Yes, if it's just like that. You'd be surprised to learn how often
something is added to a dish though. Sauces are usually a no-no.
Deep-frying always a problem (contamination). Grilled on the same surface
as things like bread or breaded meats.

Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows
that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I reckoned
a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the bin
then!!

Katra

In article >,
"al" > wrote:

> > wrote in message ...
> > Maybe I am missing something, but isn't something like a salad with
> > Russian dressing (or a vinigarette), steak (or chicken, or seafood),
> > with a potato and a green vegetable wheat free?
> >

> Yes, if it's just like that. You'd be surprised to learn how often
> something is added to a dish though. Sauces are usually a no-no.
> Deep-frying always a problem (contamination). Grilled on the same surface
> as things like bread or breaded meats.

Lots of folks don't understand Coeliac disease... The wheat intolerance
is pretty total. Most, if not all, gravies and sauces are made with
flour, and any breaded item is OUT. A lot of salad dressings also have
flour as a thickener. Breaded chicken and seafood, same thing.

> Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows
> that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
> years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I reckoned
> a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the bin
> then!!

You are sensitive to soy?
Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

K. Reece

"al" > wrote in message
> We're not talking about eating in Park Lane hotels here, just normal
> restaurants. It would be nice after walking around London city all day to
> know of a few restaurants that were guaranteed to know what they're

talking
> about on such matters.

> I'm sure it is - however most people have never heard of it and those that
> have know little about it I've found!

If most people have never heard of it why would you expect to find a
restaurant that caters to it or even knows about it?

Kathy

K. Reece

"al" > wrote in message
> "K. Reece" > wrote in message
> >
> > If most people have never heard of it why would you expect to find a
> > restaurant that caters to it or even knows about it?
> >
> > Kathy
> >

> Well if the Harvester chain have and a Chinese in Dublin, then there must

be
> quite a few more. At the very least (and often is the case),

restaurateur's
> who's family has been touched by it are likely to be sensitive to it. And
> when I say it's not very well known about - I don't mean it's virtually
> unheard of!!
>
> Anyway .. back to my original question - I was just wondering if like

minded
> people could point out some good places they'd been to in the London area.
> There must be a few of you out there!!

I think you're probably very lucky to have even found those restaurants!

Kathy

zxcvbob

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "al" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message ...
>>
>>>Maybe I am missing something, but isn't something like a salad with
>>>Russian dressing (or a vinigarette), steak (or chicken, or seafood),
>>>with a potato and a green vegetable wheat free?
>>>

>>Yes, if it's just like that. You'd be surprised to learn how often
>>something is added to a dish though. Sauces are usually a no-no.
>>Deep-frying always a problem (contamination). Grilled on the same surface
>>as things like bread or breaded meats.

> Lots of folks don't understand Coeliac disease... The wheat intolerance
> is pretty total. Most, if not all, gravies and sauces are made with
> flour, and any breaded item is OUT. A lot of salad dressings also have
> flour as a thickener. Breaded chicken and seafood, same thing.
>

>>Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows
>>that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
>>years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I reckoned
>>a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the bin
>>then!!

> You are sensitive to soy?
> Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

A lot of soy sauces have wheat in them; I'm not sure if it's malted or
fermented or what.

Bob
SportKite1

>From: zxcvbob

>A lot of soy sauces have wheat in them; I'm not sure if it's malted or
>fermented or what.
>
>Bob

I carry only wheat free Tamari and Shoyu at my store. I would suggest checking
out Japanese restaurants rather than Chinese - requesting pure buckwheat soba
in noodle dishes and refrain from Tempura and Panko breaded dishes. Summer
rolls are made with rice wrappers.

Nonetheless, as another poster mentioned, unless a restaurant has a dedicated
grill/fryer area for gluten free dishes, there may be some carryover...and with
many celiacs, that can be a big problem.

I'd look into restaurants that feature wood fired grills featuring simply
prepared seafood, chicken and meats. It's rare that wheat/gluten products are
used to prepare these entrees and the high fire would most likely destroy any
residue if there were any. Ask for pan sauteed vegies and Salad sans croutons,
served with oil and vinegar on the side. I'd avoid rice dishes, since some of
the "mixes" that restaurants use, have gluten products added to them.

Vegetarian restaurants are very often set up to cater to dietary concerns such
as Celiac. While one poster mentioned that the Atkins diet is an appropriate
one for Celiacs, be very careful of prepared products as often times gluten is
used as a binder, tho the primary ingredients may look innocent.

Most of my celiac customers admit that they rarely dine out due to the dangers
and when they do, they bring their own salad dressings and sweets with them.

Ellen

al

"SportKite1" > wrote in message
> Vegetarian restaurants are very often set up to cater to dietary concerns

such
> as Celiac. While one poster mentioned that the Atkins diet is an

appropriate
> one for Celiacs, be very careful of prepared products as often times

gluten is
> used as a binder, tho the primary ingredients may look innocent.

I don't think she'd like veggie places too much and I certainly wouldn't! ;p

The Atkins diet frankly worries me. However I didn't know it particularly
lended itself to a lack of gluten. Interesting, but then how many good
restaurants are going to be doing Atkins?

> Most of my celiac customers admit that they rarely dine out due to the

dangers
> and when they do, they bring their own salad dressings and sweets with

them.

> Ellen

Which is a shame. Most of the time eating out she has to choose the
plainest dishes and still it often doesn't sink in. A few times I've seen
her ask for *plain* ice cream for desert and they still go and stick a wafer
in it and think they've done good!!

Katra

In article >,
"K. Reece" > wrote:

> "al" > wrote in message
> > We're not talking about eating in Park Lane hotels here, just normal
> > restaurants. It would be nice after walking around London city all day to
> > know of a few restaurants that were guaranteed to know what they're

> talking
> > about on such matters.

> > I'm sure it is - however most people have never heard of it and those that
> > have know little about it I've found!

> If most people have never heard of it why would you expect to find a
> restaurant that caters to it or even knows about it?
>
> Kathy

Because, with any luck, a GOOD chef will......
Special dietary needs should be part of the education of any decent chef.

I hope.

I know the chef's that work for our hospital are well versed in a number
of dietary specialties. They have to be. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >>Yes, if it's just like that. You'd be surprised to learn how often
> >>something is added to a dish though. Sauces are usually a no-no.
> >>Deep-frying always a problem (contamination). Grilled on the same surface
> >>as things like bread or breaded meats.

> > Lots of folks don't understand Coeliac disease... The wheat intolerance
> > is pretty total. Most, if not all, gravies and sauces are made with
> > flour, and any breaded item is OUT. A lot of salad dressings also have
> > flour as a thickener. Breaded chicken and seafood, same thing.
> >

> >>Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows
> >>that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
> >>years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I reckoned
> >>a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the bin
> >>then!!

> > You are sensitive to soy?
> > Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

> A lot of soy sauces have wheat in them; I'm not sure if it's malted or
> fermented or what.
>
> Bob

Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-)
Amazing taste and wheat free...

It is an unfermented soy sauce.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
"al" > wrote:

> "SportKite1" > wrote in message
> > Vegetarian restaurants are very often set up to cater to dietary concerns

> such
> > as Celiac. While one poster mentioned that the Atkins diet is an

> appropriate
> > one for Celiacs, be very careful of prepared products as often times

> gluten is
> > used as a binder, tho the primary ingredients may look innocent.
> >

> I don't think she'd like veggie places too much and I certainly wouldn't! ;p
>
> The Atkins diet frankly worries me. However I didn't know it particularly
> lended itself to a lack of gluten. Interesting, but then how many good
> restaurants are going to be doing Atkins?

Right now, plenty... ;-)
It's gaining in popularity so a lot of places are catering to it.
Atkins is low carb and wheat products are among the more evil of starchy
carb sources.

You will still have to watch it somewhat, but it just makes it easier.

> > Most of my celiac customers admit that they rarely dine out due to the

> dangers
> > and when they do, they bring their own salad dressings and sweets with

> them.
> >
> > Ellen
> >

> Which is a shame. Most of the time eating out she has to choose the
> plainest dishes and still it often doesn't sink in. A few times I've seen
> her ask for *plain* ice cream for desert and they still go and stick a wafer
> in it and think they've done good!!

You gotta be specific sometimes... <G>

K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

No One

A comment from the US -- Extremely hard! Celiac's not only have to be
concerned about wheat but wheat, barley, rye and oats (mainly a
contamination problem). Additionally, food cooked in utinsils that have had
gluten products cooked in them also are unsafe (IE baking utinsils where
there is debris baked onto the pans, iron wear where there is gluten cooked
onto the utinsil) it all leaches out into the food that's being cooked.

How hard is it? I was in the hospital in Aug. and went without food for 60
hours because the hospital could not supply a gluten free diet and until I
instructed them on how to do it. I had to call a friend to go to the
supermarket and pick me up some rice cakes and some coldcuts from a brand I
know is GF.

2 years prior, the same thing is a hospital. I said, gluten free. They
said, What is that? The doctor sent back 3 meals because they were not
gluten free. Again, I had to call up someone to bring me food.

I watched as I had Chinese dish prepared to my specifications -- no soy
because it contains wheat. They did. Except they were also cooking someone
elses meal, dipped a dipper into the soy and dropped droplets all over mine
moving it to the other meal.

In a restaurant, they automatically put on croutons after I specifically
said no gluten, no bread etc. It came with croutons. I said I can't eat
that. They simply went over to the counter and I watched them take out the
croutons!

Hard -- yes extremely hard.

BTW, I had no symptoms from gluten. I just stopped absorbing my prescription
drugs and had become lactose intolerant. It took 18-months on a GF diet for
the lactose intolerance to clear up. I can't take the chance of someone
contaminating my food -- my life depends on having a non-destroyed small
intestine in order to absorb the required medications.

> Geez.
>
> Just eat at anyplace,
> and order wheat free food.
>
> How hard can it be????
>
> K (in the same boat)

No One

Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will
clearly state that it contains wheat.

For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on
everything from cans to cold cuts. you'll be amazed at what contains wheat
or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by Celiacs before checking
with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed to
find it in soda pop!

Cold cuts are another misnomer. The ones you see on sale for $.99 are
nothing more than meat flavored cereal, in my opinion. Ask the waiter to
pass you the bulk item and read what's in it. The purely meat ones are in
the $6.00 a pound category.

> > You are sensitive to soy?
> > Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

al

"No One" > wrote in message
> Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will
> clearly state that it contains wheat.
>
> For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on
> everything from cans to cold cuts. you'll be amazed at what contains wheat
> or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by Celiacs before checking
> with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed

> find it in soda pop!

You'd also be amazed by how often things come and go out of the little book
she gets from the Irish Coeliac society. It tells you what brands are safe
to eat, but sometimes they'll change manufacturing plant or share a plant
with a new product and it will come off the list. It's incredible how often
these things change. You might like eating sweets in a box of Roses one
day, only to find out you can't buy them anymore as they're off the list all
of a sudden.

Katra

I guess I don't have as much trouble with Wheat allergy as, one, I
_rarely_ eat out as I have trouble finding places that know how to cook
worth a damn, (most food is WAY overcooked and heavy on the starches,
and SALT!!!) and no bread or wheat containing foods are allowed in the
house.

Yes, I read labels. ;-)
Guess soy's not been an issue because I use Bragg's liquid aminos.
I like the flavor better.

I live primarily on fresh meats and fresh veggies from the produce
section, and eggs, and a few select dairy products that are pure.

So if it's that much of an issue, why take her out at all?

Eat at home and cook for her.

<shrugs>

Oh, and if your local hospital does not know about gluten free diets,
you need to find a different hospital. :-P I've talked to the cooks at
ours and it's never been a problem.....

But, we have some excellent GI docs that are hard asses. <g>
Good thing........

K.

In article >,
"No One" > wrote:

> Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will
> clearly state that it contains wheat.
>
> For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on
> everything from cans to cold cuts. you'll be amazed at what contains wheat
> or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by Celiacs before checking
> with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed to
> find it in soda pop!
>
> Cold cuts are another misnomer. The ones you see on sale for $.99 are
> nothing more than meat flavored cereal, in my opinion. Ask the waiter to
> pass you the bulk item and read what's in it. The purely meat ones are in
> the $6.00 a pound category.
>
> > > You are sensitive to soy?
> > > Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Don Wiss

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:48:43 -0000, al > wrote:

>Anyway .. back to my original question - I was just wondering if like minded
>people could point out some good places they'd been to in the London area.

If I was wandering around London, and I was hungry, I would simply stop at
the nearest Indian restaurant. Just pick a curry dish and I've got a
gluten-free meal. You may stumble upon some restaurants with cuisine from
other hot climates, like Malaysian, and those are worth checking out. Just
ask what on the menu has no soy sauce or wheat.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Geez.
>
> Just eat at anyplace,
> and order wheat free food.
>
> How hard can it be????
>
> K (in the same boat)

Pretty hard. Wheat hides.

Most soy sauce has wheat in it, for example.

Miche (also in the same boat)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >,
> "al" > wrote:

> > Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows
> > that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
> > years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I reckoned
> > a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the bin
> > then!!

> You are sensitive to soy?
> Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-)
> Amazing taste and wheat free...
>
> It is an unfermented soy sauce.

I would, but it's not available here.

Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres
organic soy sauce.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

T E

Default Coeliac friendly restaurants?

From: (al)
[...]
I know myself being a diabetic and trying to stay legal eating out in
casual restaurants is not always easy either even with the nation wide
chains.
Couple of times I have gotten ill afterwards having a dish with hidden
sugar content, and yes, I did ask the waitress before hand both times if
sugar was a ingredient.
The Atkins diet is being served even at the coney island restaurants
here in Michigan, I know too many business owners who main interest is
more profit for them through these fad diets than actually being certain
their meals follow the guidelines being requested.
Good luck with your search.

Katra

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "al" > wrote:

> > > Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef
> > > knows
> > > that it must be kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some
> > > years back by making a nice stir fry and just before it was ready I
> > > reckoned
> > > a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ... had to go in the
> > > bin
> > > then!!

> > You are sensitive to soy?
> > Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

> Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.
>
> Miche

Guess I'd not run into that since I use Bragg's. ;-)

But thanks for the warning!

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-)
> > Amazing taste and wheat free...
> >
> > It is an unfermented soy sauce.

> I would, but it's not available here.
>
> Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres
> organic soy sauce.
>
> Miche

Look on line.
Trust me, it's worth it!
Seriously good stuff, IMHO.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Katra > wrote:
> >
> > > Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-)
> > > Amazing taste and wheat free...
> > >
> > > It is an unfermented soy sauce.

> > I would, but it's not available here.
> >
> > Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres
> > organic soy sauce.
> >
> > Miche

> Look on line.
> Trust me, it's worth it!
> Seriously good stuff, IMHO.

No thanks, I'm happy with what I have.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Katra

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Miche > wrote:

> > > I would, but it's not available here.
> > >
> > > Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres
> > > organic soy sauce.
> > >
> > > Miche

> > Look on line.
> > Trust me, it's worth it!
> > Seriously good stuff, IMHO.

> No thanks, I'm happy with what I have.
>
> Miche

That's why I said "IMHO". ;-)
Much of usenet is...... just that. <G>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Miche > wrote:

> > > Are you serious or joking?

> > Serious...
> > I've discussed this with others, I think, here,
> > and with the cooks at work...
> >
> > It's not universal but some folks that are wheat sensitive are also
> > sensitive to the nightshade family.

> "Some" is way different from "most". Do you have any kind of formal
> numbers here, eg a cite from a medical study?

Sorry, I mis-spoke.
I did a serious 'net search and could not find any numbers so classify
it as anecdotal. ;-) I won't defend an error...

Suffice it to say that I've hung out on the IBS list for awhile and have
seen lots of people that are sensitive to both at the same time...

Are they truly associated? Maybe, maybe not, but there seem to be a lot
of IBS sufferers who are...

> > 'taters make me sick as a dog, and tomatos don't agree with me much
> > either, but I refuse to give those up! I just take Xantac prior to
> > consuming them.

> Fair enough.
>
> Miche (noting that the one person she knows with nightshade allergies is
> fine with wheat)

Might be just coincidental then. ;-)

Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow
down! I kept a food log for a year and a half at my dogs suggestion.

Life is less painful now.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow
> down! I kept a food log for a year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
>
> Life is less painful now.
>
> K.

Ugh. That should have read "Docs" suggestion! As in Family doctor...

Damn keyboard. ;-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

kilikini

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>

> > Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow
> > down! I kept a food log for a year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
> >
> > Life is less painful now.
> >
> > K.

> Ugh. That should have read "Docs" suggestion! As in Family doctor...
>
> Damn keyboard. ;-)
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
=katra

Oh, and here I was impressed by your dog..............
kili

Katra

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Katra > wrote:
> >

> > > Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow
> > > down! I kept a food log for a year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
> > >
> > > Life is less painful now.
> > >
> > > K.

> > Ugh. That should have read "Docs" suggestion! As in Family doctor...
> >
> > Damn keyboard. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
> >
> > >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
> =katra
>
> Oh, and here I was impressed by your dog..............
> kili

<chuckles> I need to proofread better before hitting "post" <G>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Steve Knight

>Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.

cheaper ones do for sure.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

PL just a friendly... sandy General Cooking 0 18-01-2009 09:19 AM
Ideas for coeliac dinner recipe chivas General Cooking 35 15-03-2007 05:49 AM
Friendly Raw Veg Nick Vegan 0 13-10-2004 04:52 PM
Coeliac Disease Susan Diabetic 1 14-05-2004 04:59 PM
Restuarants in Montpellier France Sue Restaurants 2 03-04-2004 11:13 AM