Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas for coeliac dinner recipe

Hi,

I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
coeliacs.

I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!

If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful

My restrictions a
no gluten
nothing too spicy
no flat fish
no courgettes
no lamb
no squashes or root veg other than carrot

They are close friends so happy for it to be quite casual, but it
would be great to try something a little out of the ordinary!

Many thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"chivas" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
> coeliacs.
>
> I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
> but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!
>
> If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful
>
> My restrictions a
> no gluten
> nothing too spicy
> no flat fish
> no courgettes
> no lamb
> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

> They are close friends so happy for it to be quite casual, but it
> would be great to try something a little out of the ordinary!
>
> Many thanks

Just out of curiosity, does that list of restrictions address the needs of
just one person, or several?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 9, 8:46 am, "chivas" > wrote:
> [snip]
> My restrictions a
> no gluten
> nothing too spicy
> no flat fish
> no courgettes
> no lamb
> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

No fish or lamb still leaves you beef, pork and poultry. Sounds like
coq au vin or boeuf bourgignon would work. Neither is that
adventurous or "out of the ordinary" but they are popular and easy to
adjust for the size of the group. Come to think of it, if 'root veg'
includes onions I guess that would disqualify these....

You could do the kind of multi-course Chinese menu that includes
enough do-ahead things that you only have one last minute stir fry.
Something like a soup, some cold or room temp tidbits, red-cooked
chicken, and beef and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) in oyster sauce.

Or how about a paella? You can exclude your list and still have a lot
of variety in it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 9, 8:46 am, "chivas" > wrote:
>> [snip]
>> My restrictions a
>> no gluten
>> nothing too spicy
>> no flat fish
>> no courgettes
>> no lamb
>> no squashes or root veg other than carrot
>>

> No fish or lamb still leaves you beef, pork and poultry. Sounds like
> coq au vin......

No dusting the chicken with flour, though....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"chivas" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
> coeliacs.
>
> I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
> but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!
>
> If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful
>
> My restrictions a
> no gluten
> nothing too spicy
> no flat fish
> no courgettes
> no lamb
> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

> They are close friends so happy for it to be quite casual, but it
> would be great to try something a little out of the ordinary!
>
> Many thanks

Go here for recipes:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/fav.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:
> > My restrictions a
> > no gluten
> > nothing too spicy
> > no flat fish
> > no courgettes
> > no lamb
> > no squashes or root veg other than carrot

> You could do the kind of multi-course Chinese menu that includes
> enough do-ahead things that you only have one last minute stir fry.
> Something like a soup, some cold or room temp tidbits, red-cooked
> chicken, and beef and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) in oyster sauce.

Most soy sauce and oyster sauce contains gluten, so you might need
to get creative on the sauces unless you can find gluten-free versions
at a health-food store or something. Perhaps peanut butter, chicken
stock, salt, brown sugar and lime. This would work well as a dipping
sauce for rice paper spring rolls filled with some carrot, sprouts,
basil, and some crab or cooked ground pork.

> Or how about a paella? You can exclude your list and still have a lot
> of variety in it. -aem

Paella sounds good. There are lots of things you can still cook.
Maple glazed salmon on rice, mild chili on topped of a baked potato,
chickpea fritters with a tahini sauce...

Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I shared an apartment with a celiac. This is his recipe for
a meatloaf that serves 4.

Ingredients

1 medium to large potato
1 lb ground lean beef
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms
2 tbs diced onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Directions
Boil and mash potato
Mix meat, onion, salt, potato, garlic powder and egg, thoroughly
and form a loaf. Press mushroom slices into loaf. Bake at 350
degrees for an hour.

I keep gluten-free flour in my freezer for cooking when he visits.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"chivas" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
> coeliacs.
>
> I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
> but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!
>
> If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful
>
> My restrictions a
> no gluten
> nothing too spicy
> no flat fish
> no courgettes
> no lamb
> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

Well the *only* one that has *anything* to do with coeliac-sprue is no
gluten. And that means nothing with wheat, rye, barley or oats (oats
are nearly always contaminated with wheat). The advice to stay away
from soy sauce or tamari is good though San-J has a tasty gluten-free
tamari. Unless your friend knows a safe brand, stay away from sausage
because it may not be labeled for gluten. If you need a thickener, use
pure cornstarch or arrowroot. No pasta unless it is brown rice pasta
but know that some brands taste awful while others are excellent. I use
only Tinkyada but I have no idea what is available in your neck of the
woods.

The easiest thing to do is to use unprocessed foods on your menu---
nothing from boxes or cans. That way you won't have to worry about
reading labels or gluten hidden in "natural flavorings", malt flavoring,
"spices", etc. I would also advise making the entire meal gluten free
for everyone since it is easy and since that will avoid any
cross-contamination accidents. You'll need to avoid teflon and iron
cookware because they may harbor traces of gluten. No wood spoons or
wood cutting boards either. Only non-absorbent materials.

I suggest a breadless meal with a salad & homemade vinaigrette, fresh
vegetables, and meat or fish. You can safely rely on pure herbs &
spices (as opposed to blends), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh
garlic, fresh onions as the mainstays of your flavorings. If you need
to get chicken or vegetable broth, make sure it does not have malt or
barley. If you can narrow down to some possibilities, I can be more
helpful.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> You could do the kind of multi-course Chinese menu that includes
> enough do-ahead things that you only have one last minute stir fry.
> Something like a soup, some cold or room temp tidbits, red-cooked
> chicken, and beef and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) in oyster sauce.

Unfortunately, many bottled asian sauces like soy, tamari and oyster
sauce have wheat in them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Or how about a paella? You can exclude your list and still have a lot
> of variety in it.

A rice-based entree is an excellent idea, especially if it is brown
rice. I was going to suggest curry or arroz con pollo but the list said
that spicy is out. How unfortunate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jnospam > wrote:

> a baked potato,

Another root vegetable....

I can't help but wonder why anyone would have to avoid all root
vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emma Thackery" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "chivas" > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
>> coeliacs.
>>
>> I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
>> but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!
>>
>> If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful
>>
>> My restrictions a
>> no gluten
>> nothing too spicy
>> no flat fish
>> no courgettes
>> no lamb
>> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

> Well the *only* one that has *anything* to do with coeliac-sprue is no
> gluten. And that means nothing with wheat, rye, barley or oats (oats
> are nearly always contaminated with wheat). The advice to stay away
> from soy sauce or tamari is good though San-J has a tasty gluten-free
> tamari. Unless your friend knows a safe brand, stay away from sausage
> because it may not be labeled for gluten. If you need a thickener, use
> pure cornstarch or arrowroot. No pasta unless it is brown rice pasta
> but know that some brands taste awful while others are excellent. I use
> only Tinkyada but I have no idea what is available in your neck of the
> woods.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to use unprocessed foods on your menu---
> nothing from boxes or cans. That way you won't have to worry about
> reading labels or gluten hidden in "natural flavorings", malt flavoring,
> "spices", etc. I would also advise making the entire meal gluten free
> for everyone since it is easy and since that will avoid any
> cross-contamination accidents. You'll need to avoid teflon and iron
> cookware because they may harbor traces of gluten. No wood spoons or
> wood cutting boards either. Only non-absorbent materials.
>
> I suggest a breadless meal with a salad & homemade vinaigrette, fresh
> vegetables, and meat or fish. You can safely rely on pure herbs &
> spices (as opposed to blends), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh
> garlic, fresh onions as the mainstays of your flavorings. If you need
> to get chicken or vegetable broth, make sure it does not have malt or
> barley. If you can narrow down to some possibilities, I can be more
> helpful.
>
> Emma

Kasha (buckwheat) would be an interesting alternative to rice, and it's fine
for people who are sensitive to gluten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Kasha (buckwheat) would be an interesting alternative to rice, and it's fine
> for people who are sensitive to gluten.

I like it and buckwheat flour is good for crepes (trad. galettes) or
nalesniki too. I also use a lot of wild rice & quinoa (which cooks very
fast). Buckwheat is a grass unrelated to wheat/triticums.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 9, 10:24 am, Jnospam > wrote:

> Most soy sauce and oyster sauce contains gluten, so you might need
> to get creative on the sauces unless you can find gluten-free versions
> at a health-food store or something. [snips]

Good point. Many soy sauces contain wheat (flour) but not all. It
just takes reading the labels until you find the right brand. You're
looking for soy beans, salt and water. Not a long list of chemicals.
If you had to deal with that malady you might have found it already.
I think I'd look in an asian market with a big selection of brands
rather than in a health food store. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Mar 2007 16:06:14 -0800, aem > wrote:

>Good point. Many soy sauces contain wheat (flour) but not all. It
>just takes reading the labels until you find the right brand. You're
>looking for soy beans, salt and water. Not a long list of chemicals.

This can be found in any health food store. Look for wheat-free tamari.

Don <www.paleodiet.com> (e-mail link at page bottom).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:29:02 -0600, Emma Thackery > wrote:

> If you need a thickener, use
>pure cornstarch or arrowroot.

Why not rice flour? It's really cheap in the Chinese supermarkets.
Arrowroot can be awful expensive in the little jars in the supermarket. It
can be reasonable if you can find it in bulk from a health food store. But
be careful about bulk. It you are scooping your own you have to assume that
people have moved the scoops around. Many (most?) of us celiacs won't buy
any bulk item that way.

> No pasta unless it is brown rice pasta

There are more than rice that are gluten free. Corn, millet, and others.
Since I now follow the paleo diet I no longer pay attention to just what is
out there.

>but know that some brands taste awful while others are excellent. I use
>only Tinkyada but I have no idea what is available in your neck of the
>woods.

I hear it is a good one.

> If you need
>to get chicken or vegetable broth, make sure it does not have malt or
>barley.

The problem with chicken broth is wheat. College Inn has it. This to
emulsify the fat. There are other brands that are okay. Best to look for
them in the health food store.

Don <www.paleodiet.com> (e-mail link at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:29:02 -0600, Emma Thackery > wrote:
>
> > If you need a thickener, use pure cornstarch or arrowroot.

> Why not rice flour? It's really cheap in the Chinese supermarkets.

Both my recommendations result in a more translucent, less starchy
tasting sauce that does not require as much cooking to get rid of the
raw taste. The idea here was to make it as easy as possible for someone
inexperienced with gluten-free cooking to prepare a good meal for guests.

> Arrowroot can be awful expensive ...

Cornstarch is cheap and I gave both alternatives since you never know
what people have in their pantries.

[...]
> > No pasta unless it is brown rice pasta

> There are more than rice that are gluten free....

I'm keenly aware of that but the objective here is, once again, to make
it easy for the cook to make a tasty, gluten-free meal first time out of
the barn. Corn pastas are sometimes mealy but Tinkyada brown rice pasta
is an excellent tasting pasta that the vast majority of people like.
Quinoa pasta is also good but not as readily available.
[...]
> > If you need to get chicken or vegetable broth, make sure it does
> > not have malt or barley.

> The problem with chicken broth is wheat. College Inn has it. This to
> emulsify the fat. There are other brands that are okay. Best to look for
> them in the health food store.

The OP already knows wheat is off the table. I mentioned barley and
malt specifically since they do not appear in bold on the label allergen
warnings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"aem" > wrote:

> On Mar 9, 10:24 am, Jnospam > wrote:
> >
> > Most soy sauce and oyster sauce contains gluten, so you might need
> > to get creative on the sauces unless you can find gluten-free versions
> > at a health-food store or something. [snips]

> Good point. Many soy sauces contain wheat (flour) but not all. It
> just takes reading the labels until you find the right brand.

I wish it was that easy but it often isn't. Wheat free San-J tamari is
currently the safest choice in the US, for instance. But many products
are subject to cross-contamination even though the ingredient may not be
listed on the label. That is also sometimes a problem with their
suppliers. And worst of all, some companies have a bad reputation for
persistently failing to indicate gluten ingredients on labels. You need
experience or membership on a celiac list to know about those kinds of
problems. Does the casual observer know just from reading a label, for
instance, that modified food starch might or might not contain wheat
when not all products are yet consistently labeled?

> You're looking for soy beans, salt and water. Not a long list of
> chemicals. If you had to deal with that malady you might have found
> it already. I think I'd look in an asian market with a big selection
> of brands rather than in a health food store. -aem

Unfortunately, many of the foods found in Asian markets are imports and
may not list gluten or may list it by a different name. And that is why
I recommended that the OP use fresh, unprocessed ingredients insofar as
possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
> aem > wrote:
>>> My restrictions a
>>> no gluten
>>> nothing too spicy
>>> no flat fish
>>> no courgettes
>>> no lamb
>>> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

>> You could do the kind of multi-course Chinese menu that includes
>> enough do-ahead things that you only have one last minute stir fry.
>> Something like a soup, some cold or room temp tidbits, red-cooked
>> chicken, and beef and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) in oyster sauce.

> Most soy sauce and oyster sauce contains gluten, so you might need
> to get creative on the sauces unless you can find gluten-free versions
> at a health-food store or something. Perhaps peanut butter, chicken
> stock, salt, brown sugar and lime. This would work well as a dipping
> sauce for rice paper spring rolls filled with some carrot, sprouts,
> basil, and some crab or cooked ground pork.
>
>> Or how about a paella? You can exclude your list and still have a
>> lot of variety in it. -aem

> Paella sounds good. There are lots of things you can still cook.
> Maple glazed salmon on rice, mild chili on topped of a baked potato,
> chickpea fritters with a tahini sauce...
>
> Jnospam

Potatoes are out, it sounds like.

Celiac disease only accounts for the gluten. Does *everyone* in this group
have weird food restrictions? Sorry, I'm skeptical about a lot of these
supposed sensitivities that people now claim to have.

By the way, watch out for the chicken stock unless you are making your own.
Many of them have gluten. I was told by a friend with celiac disease that
Better Than Bouillon does not. Knorr does. (Unlike most supposed food
restrictions, celiac is a real disease and it's important to be very
careful.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:
> In article >,
> Jnospam > wrote:
>
>> a baked potato,

> Another root vegetable....
>
> I can't help but wonder why anyone would have to avoid all root
> vegetables.

I know someone who claims to be unable to eat anything from the nightshade
family, which includes potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Apologies for the delay in replying, I posted the thread immediately
before leaving work yesterday and this is the first time I've been
online since - I'm not used to such quick turnarounds with google
groups!!

Many thanks for all the replies and links to recipes, i will try to
respond to any queries. I've been amazed at the quality of the

My restriction list was from 3 or four people - and it could have been
greater, but the non-dairy-eater isn't coming

Sorry - my definition of root vegetable was inconsise - onions are
acceptable though baked potatoes are not! (My friend dislikes the
texture of them, it isn't from an allergy POV... Incidentally,
coeliacs is the only medical restriction I'm dealing with - the rest
are just personal taste. I'm trying to meet the challege to provide a
dish that will be enjoyed by all!)

I have been interested in trying out quinoa for some time - so may
turn my hand to that... There have been so many good suggestions I'll
need to spend a bit of time reading through them all!

A quick question - is cornstarch the same as cornflour? (I'm in the
UK and currently use cornflour, but have never come across cornstarch)

I am very grateful for all your help
- Laura

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <ccCIh.323$Hb6.260@trndny03>,
"Janet Puistonen" > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Jnospam > wrote:
> >
> >> a baked potato,

> > Another root vegetable....
> >
> > I can't help but wonder why anyone would have to avoid all root
> > vegetables.

> I know someone who claims to be unable to eat anything from the nightshade
> family, which includes potatoes.

Solanums. I read that people with latex allergy, and that is a rapidly
growing number of people, are often allergic to the solanums (potatoes,
tomatoes, aubergine, etc)... that there is some relationship. I find
that surprising since latex comes from the rubber plant, no?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> Don Wiss > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:29:02 -0600, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> >
> > > If you need a thickener, use pure cornstarch or arrowroot.

> > Why not rice flour? It's really cheap in the Chinese supermarkets.

> Both my recommendations result in a more translucent, less starchy
> tasting sauce that does not require as much cooking to get rid of the
> raw taste. The idea here was to make it as easy as possible for someone
> inexperienced with gluten-free cooking to prepare a good meal for guests.
>
> > Arrowroot can be awful expensive ...

> Cornstarch is cheap and I gave both alternatives since you never know
> what people have in their pantries.

Some "cornstarch" is made with wheat. I'd avoid it unless I knew for
sure it was maize.

Potato flour is also a good thickener.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > Kasha (buckwheat) would be an interesting alternative to rice, and it's
> > fine
> > for people who are sensitive to gluten.

> I like it and buckwheat flour is good for crepes (trad. galettes) or
> nalesniki too. I also use a lot of wild rice & quinoa (which cooks very
> fast). Buckwheat is a grass unrelated to wheat/triticums.

It's related to rhubarb.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> > Cornstarch is cheap and I gave both alternatives since you never know
> > what people have in their pantries.

> Some "cornstarch" is made with wheat. I'd avoid it unless I knew for
> sure it was maize.

Which brands? I've never seen one made with wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"chivas" > wrote:

> Many thanks for all the replies and links to recipes, i will try to
> respond to any queries. I've been amazed at the quality of the

Nearly 1 in 100 people have coeliac in the US. More in the UK. So a
growing number of people know about it. And by way of clarification, it
is "coeliac", not "coeliacs".

> A quick question - is cornstarch the same as cornflour? (I'm in the
> UK and currently use cornflour, but have never come across cornstarch)...

UK corn flour is the same as US cornstarch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"chivas" > wrote:

> A quick question - is cornstarch the same as cornflour? (I'm in the
> UK and currently use cornflour, but have never come across cornstarch)

Yes, it is. (I'm in New Zealand and we call it cornflour too.)

Make sure to get "maize cornflour" -- that will ensure it is wheat-free.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > > Cornstarch is cheap and I gave both alternatives since you never know
> > > what people have in their pantries.

> > Some "cornstarch" is made with wheat. I'd avoid it unless I knew for
> > sure it was maize.

> Which brands? I've never seen one made with wheat.

Most brands here in New Zealand have a wheat option as well as a maize
option. The exception is Fielder's, which is always maize.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Emma Thackery > wrote:

> > > Some "cornstarch" is made with wheat. I'd avoid it unless I knew for
> > > sure it was maize.

> > Which brands? I've never seen one made with wheat.

> Most brands here in New Zealand have a wheat option as well as a maize
> option. The exception is Fielder's, which is always maize.

The OP is from the UK where corn flour is all corn. I have never seen a
brand of corn starch in the US that was not all corn. We also have
something called "modified food starch" in the US which can be nearly
anything including wheat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Emma Thackery > wrote:

> > > Which brands? I've never seen one made with wheat.

> > Most brands here in New Zealand have a wheat option as well as a maize
> > option. The exception is Fielder's, which is always maize.

> The OP is from the UK where corn flour is all corn.

I was not aware of that.

> I have never seen a
> brand of corn starch in the US that was not all corn. We also have
> something called "modified food starch" in the US which can be nearly
> anything including wheat.

We have that, too.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emma Thackery" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jnospam > wrote:
>
>> a baked potato,

> Another root vegetable....
>
> I can't help but wonder why anyone would have to avoid all root
> vegetables.

Obviously, it's someone who's very poorly informed. What's new?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"chivas" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Apologies for the delay in replying, I posted the thread immediately
> before leaving work yesterday and this is the first time I've been
> online since - I'm not used to such quick turnarounds with google
> groups!!
>
> Many thanks for all the replies and links to recipes, i will try to
> respond to any queries. I've been amazed at the quality of the
>
> My restriction list was from 3 or four people - and it could have been
> greater, but the non-dairy-eater isn't coming
>
> Sorry - my definition of root vegetable was inconsise - onions are
> acceptable though baked potatoes are not! (My friend dislikes the
> texture of them, it isn't from an allergy POV... Incidentally,
> coeliacs is the only medical restriction I'm dealing with - the rest
> are just personal taste. I'm trying to meet the challege to provide a
> dish that will be enjoyed by all!)
>
> I have been interested in trying out quinoa for some time - so may
> turn my hand to that... There have been so many good suggestions I'll
> need to spend a bit of time reading through them all!
>
> A quick question - is cornstarch the same as cornflour? (I'm in the
> UK and currently use cornflour, but have never come across cornstarch)
>
> I am very grateful for all your help
> - Laura

OK. No baked potatoes. How about mashed?

And, there are other excellent root vegetables, like sweet potatoes,
parsnips, turnips, carrots, beets.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Emma Thackery" > schreef in bericht
> In article .com>,
> "chivas" > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 6 friends coming for dinner next week - and one of them has
>> coeliacs.
>>
>> I am quite an adventurous cook, so would like to try something new,
>> but am bit stumped for ideas with the various limitations!
>>
>> If anyone can recommend anything, I'd be very grateful
>>
>> My restrictions a
>> no gluten
>> nothing too spicy
>> no flat fish
>> no courgettes
>> no lamb
>> no squashes or root veg other than carrot

> Well the *only* one that has *anything* to do with coeliac-sprue is no
> gluten. And that means nothing with wheat, rye, barley or oats (oats
> are nearly always contaminated with wheat). The advice to stay away
> from soy sauce or tamari is good though San-J has a tasty gluten-free
> tamari. Unless your friend knows a safe brand, stay away from sausage
> because it may not be labeled for gluten. If you need a thickener, use
> pure cornstarch or arrowroot. No pasta unless it is brown rice pasta
> but know that some brands taste awful while others are excellent. I use
> only Tinkyada but I have no idea what is available in your neck of the
> woods.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to use unprocessed foods on your menu---
> nothing from boxes or cans. That way you won't have to worry about
> reading labels or gluten hidden in "natural flavorings", malt flavoring,
> "spices", etc. I would also advise making the entire meal gluten free
> for everyone since it is easy and since that will avoid any
> cross-contamination accidents. You'll need to avoid teflon and iron
> cookware because they may harbor traces of gluten. No wood spoons or
> wood cutting boards either. Only non-absorbent materials.
>
> I suggest a breadless meal with a salad & homemade vinaigrette, fresh
> vegetables, and meat or fish. You can safely rely on pure herbs &
> spices (as opposed to blends), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh
> garlic, fresh onions as the mainstays of your flavorings. If you need
> to get chicken or vegetable broth, make sure it does not have malt or
> barley. If you can narrow down to some possibilities, I can be more
> helpful.
>
> Emma

Simply for the record: I think this is excelelnt advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi

Thanks again for all the excellent advice.

I have now decided on my menu - finally deciding to keep it simple
rather than risk the adventurous

To start, big leafy salad with pepper-seared tuna. I'll make two
dressings - one with chilli, and the other balsamic based and non-
spicy!

For the main I thought beef stroganoff with wild rice would tick all
the boxes.

I'm not really a dessert hand, but if I feel up to it I'll do a creme
caramel to finish!

All my ingredients will come fresh and all-natural, I guessed from the
above posts that the easiest way to avoid hidden catches is not to use
anything processed...

Cheers to everyone for taking the time to reply!

Laura

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"chivas" > wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks again for all the excellent advice.
>
> I have now decided on my menu - finally deciding to keep it simple
> rather than risk the adventurous
>
> To start, big leafy salad with pepper-seared tuna. I'll make two
> dressings - one with chilli, and the other balsamic based and non-
> spicy!
>
> For the main I thought beef stroganoff with wild rice would tick all
> the boxes.
>
> I'm not really a dessert hand, but if I feel up to it I'll do a creme
> caramel to finish!
>
> All my ingredients will come fresh and all-natural, I guessed from the
> above posts that the easiest way to avoid hidden catches is not to use
> anything processed...
>
> Cheers to everyone for taking the time to reply!
>
> Laura

Sounds like a tasty menu. Check the sour cream for wheat, though. A
few brands here in the US have wheat in them (silly eh?). I don't know
about your side of the pond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Also stick with corn starch if the strognoff requires thickening and
everything should be fine. Only a contamination issue is left from the pots
and pans. It was a big issue for me until all new pots and pans were bought
because traces of gliadin molecules stayed on the cookware. I might make
the strog. in a purchased aluminum pan type deal.

Dennis - Celiac 10 years.
"chivas" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi
>
> Thanks again for all the excellent advice.
>
> I have now decided on my menu - finally deciding to keep it simple
> rather than risk the adventurous
>
> To start, big leafy salad with pepper-seared tuna. I'll make two
> dressings - one with chilli, and the other balsamic based and non-
> spicy!
>
> For the main I thought beef stroganoff with wild rice would tick all
> the boxes.
>
> I'm not really a dessert hand, but if I feel up to it I'll do a creme
> caramel to finish!
>
> All my ingredients will come fresh and all-natural, I guessed from the
> above posts that the easiest way to avoid hidden catches is not to use
> anything processed...
>
> Cheers to everyone for taking the time to reply!
>
> Laura

Looking for ideas for dinner? raul28 General Cooking 1 07-05-2008 09:21 PM
Holiday Dinner Ideas jenmink78 General Cooking 8 16-12-2007 07:45 PM
Dinner Ideas Domenico Liguori Mexican Cooking 0 20-06-2004 10:36 PM
Coeliac Disease Susan Diabetic 1 14-05-2004 04:59 PM
Coeliac friendly restuarants? al General Cooking 48 17-02-2004 07:15 AM