Old 11-02-2019, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

Friday I left work around 12:30 and headed toward the kids' school.
I thought I might grab a bite for lunch before their early dismissal
at 2:15 due to impending snow. Sure enough the flakes started coming
down hard around 12:45 so I went straight to the school and after
about 30 minutes had rounded up both my kids and we were on our way.
Our trip home usually takes about 25 minutes but on Friday everyone
decided to hit the roads at the same time so it took us two hours,
mostly due to gridlock in the Central District. Fortunately I had
pizza and clif bars for us to munch on during the journey. My main
concern was my bladder but it still had some room left by the time we
got home.

Friday's dinner was bratwurst with sauerkraut and fried potatoes and
a tossed salad. Saturday's breakfast was pancakes and bacon. Then we
went out to play in the snow. We came back in for some pasta with red
sauce, and discussed what our afternoon adventure would be. Well we knew
we wanted to go sledding, it was just a matter of where. I tried my
chains and decided after driving a couple blocks that maybe it's better
to walk to the nearest hill rather than drive, park in the snow and not
be certain if my car could get moving again. I'll save driving for when
it's necessary.

After sledding we came home to warm up and have some sandwiches.
The boys' mom came to pick them up and I was on my own. I had the
leftover brats and sauerkraut for dinner and some chips. Ice cream
for dessert.

Sunday morning I tried Bob's Red Mill "Organic Whole Grain High Fiber
Hot Cereal" for the first time. I bought it because I've been wanting
to try something organic and they didn't have organic steel cut oats,
and I thought this might be the next best thing. Well, the texture is
about a 1.5 on a scale to 10. There's nothing to really chew on, and
it's got this glutionus almost rubbery consistency. The added butter and
almond milk helped a little but I think all hope is lost here as far as
an enjoyable eating experience. My homemade breakfast sausage offset
the unpleasantness enough that I could choke down all that fiber. There's
a recipe for muffins on the bag which I may attempt, although I will
be prepared for a rubbery result.

I wanted to make my lentil soup but didn't have any ginger so I decided
to take a different approach. One of my kids loves that recipe but the
other one says "there's some weird taste in there" which I suspect if
not the lentils themselves might be the cumin. So I came up with something
that tastes good with no cumin: tomato sauce and oregano! Here's the
procedu dice one carrot and one celery stalk, fry in oil of your
choice (I choose olive) and then add some minced garlic. Once they're
all tender add 4c veg stock and 1c lentils. Let that cook for a while
and add 1c tomato sauce, and oregano. Easy, and very tasty.

After fortifying myself with a large portion of this lentil soup I
headed out for a walk. The residential streets don't get plowed here
but the arterials were wet or slushy. I didn't see a lot of cars driving
around.

Dinner was a massive BLT with dill pickles. I took my other BOGO pork
shoulder out of the freezer on Friday in anticipation of being stuck for
several more days, but temps are rising and this may all be over by
tomorrow if the rains come and wash all the snow away. But the rain could
freeze, too - so it'll be roast pork for dinner, with carrots and
potatoes.

I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue
for me.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:

People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles.

Sounds like a typical snow day here in the South.

https://i.postimg.cc/fyb1N3MW/Snow-Day-in-the-South.jpg
Old 11-02-2019, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 12:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
[...]

* Well , it ain't snow , but today for the 3rd time since we moved up
and started building (bought the land 18 years ago) the creek is way up
from heavy rains . We usually can't see water (in the creek bed) from
the house , today it's a lot higher than just visible . Looks like it
might be going down some right now , until the next round of heavy rain
.. All the same to me , I ain't going anywhere today . Except out to the
wood pile to replenish the inside supply for tonight and maybe up to the
mail box to get the starter cells for my seedlings for the garden . Time
to get started if I'm to have seedlings ready to transplant by April
15th or so . Already started prepping for my 2nd annual Mother's Day
Plant Sale . First was profitable , and I got plenty of starter material
so why not . Already got 6" hanging pots lined up ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 11-02-2019, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
out my driveway I could get to the store.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:40:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
[...]

The last time we were in the Seattle area during Thanksgiving, I was told that the locals were just freaking out at the snow that got dumped in the area. They weren't used to it. I thought that was peculiar.

My sister-in-law was going to great lengths in explaining how to get up the frozen hill to the church where we were having Thanksgiving dinner. It involved driving on the side or backing up the hill as well as ideas on what to do in case we got stuck. I was apprehensive when we finally faced "the Hill" but my son just drove up it with no problem. We were in a full sized AWD SUV. Going down was a little dicey though. Hee hee.

It's always a good time for us when we're in the area.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

Seems you are well organized) Keep warm)

Old 11-02-2019, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:00:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

They had snow out in Vancouver and an arctic draught which veered
their way instead of across country. Can't say I even felt a twinge
for them as they had all made sure the country saw pics of their
cherry blossoms etc the week before that That'll teach them
Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 3:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common.* In New England, no big
deal.* People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
better equipped to deal with it.* In all my years in CT, if I could get
out my driveway I could get to the store.

We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
infrastructure to its knees.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith

On 2019-02-11 3:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common.* In New England, no big
deal.* People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
better equipped to deal with it.* In all my years in CT, if I could get
out my driveway I could get to the store.

We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
infrastructure to its knees.

Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 3:15 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

The people of Buffalo don't even consider 8" to be a snow storm. They
average over 90" of snow per year.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 4:17 p.m., wrote:
[...]

I went out to Vancouver in Feb/89, apparently in time for the once every
decade snowfall. We were stuck in a holding pattern for an hour while
they cleared the runway. Traffic was moving very slowly. There was about
6-8" of snow in Victoria, which was nothing to me, but it threw the city
into a panic. It was all gone by the next day, completely melted.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:38:43 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 2019-02-11 3:15 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Same in the northern Catskills... we're supposed to receive a foot+
tomorrow. Just came back from town with a 5 pound top round, pot
roast is always a good winter meal.
Just noticed five does grazing, means plenty snow coming... oops, one
girl looking in my window, and two more girls just arrived. Oh, two
more behind my vegetable garden. A small herd arrived.