Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:38:43 -0500, Dave Smith

On 2019-02-11 3:15 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
out my driveway I could get to the store.

Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

The people of Buffalo don't even consider 8" to be a snow storm. They
average over 90" of snow per year.

Same in the northern Catskills... we're supposed to receive a foot+
tomorrow. Just came back from town with a 5 pound top round, pot
roast is always a good winter meal.
Just noticed five does grazing, means plenty snow coming... oops, one
girl looking in my window, and two more girls just arrived. Oh, two
more behind my vegetable garden. A small herd arrived.

Popeye, yoose forgot to measure their tits.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
infrastructure to its knees.

That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff. When you
have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of course
we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our vacation
and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so we
can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to
stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:23:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:56:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
stay home.

I gotta agree. Unless she was taking someone to the hospital, after the first
episode of getting out of a ditch I'd said "that's it, I'm going home."

I have not started my new home care pediatric nursing client primarily because of weather! SNOW! My first Meet-n-Greet I tried, but only got part of the way there and turned around and came home, as it was getting much worse and I didn't want to have to spend the night at a client's house whom I had just met! That would be rude!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:33 p.m., wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation

infrastructure to its knees.

That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff. When you
have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of course
we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our vacation
and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so we
can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to
stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 7:56 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/11/2019 6:33 PM, wrote:

Are we supposed to
stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are
annoying
him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

That can be the smart thing to do no matter where you live.

One day I was going to work and there were flashing lights ahead around
the curve.* When I go there, a woman was standing beside her car that
slid off the road. They were waiting to have it pulled out.

After work it was still the same conditions on the way home.* Again, at
a slight curve on a down hill there were flashing lights ahead.* When I
got there, same woman, same car, this time up against a guard rail with
some damage.

Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
stay home.

There are a lot of people who just don't make good decisions. Last week
we had a bad winter storm with two days of freezing rain. Streets and
sidewalks were a mess. On the news they were interviewing a woman who
was out walking her dog down the middle of a road. She said that the dog
wanted to go for a walk and the sidewalk was too slippery so she was
walking on the road. It didn't make a lot of sense to me to be walking
on slippery ice covered roads where there are big heavy vehicles that
are slipping and sliding around.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue
for me.

i got that last winter... not much fun, but
i got through it.

as for the snow, i don't mind it here. the ice
has been more of a challenge this year.

the high winds this past weekend took down the
t.v. and internet antenna from the roof so i had
to get up there today and unhook everything and
rehook up what i could leave up there (the internet
connection ). the tv thing seems to work ok even
if it is sitting on the ground... for now until the
ice clears up and i can redo what needs to be redone
that will have to do. ice everywhere. i fell a few
days ago walking on the end of the drive where some
ice has formed, meant to be very careful but somehow
just a slight step got away from me and down i went.
nothing broken. *whew*

rain and snow on the way this week. it's mid-
winter. i would rather it was all snow.

songbird

Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:56:37 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/11/2019 6:33 PM, wrote:

Are we supposed to
stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

That can be the smart thing to do no matter where you live.

One day I was going to work and there were flashing lights ahead around
the curve. When I go there, a woman was standing beside her car that
slid off the road. They were waiting to have it pulled out.

After work it was still the same conditions on the way home. Again, at
a slight curve on a down hill there were flashing lights ahead. When I
got there, same woman, same car, this time up against a guard rail with
some damage.

Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
stay home.

My friend's ex-girlfriend once drove her car off the road and ended up on a riverbank during a rainstorm. She climbed back up to the road during the storm while carrying an infant in one arm to get help. That must have been an epic climb!

Later on, the girlfriend and the cops were down the hill trying to figure out how to tow the car out of the river. She said that a car flew over their heads as if it were in slow motion. An old guy and his wife went off the road in the same spot that she did. The car hit her car and destroyed it. Then the couple got swept down the river in their car. The guy and his wife ended up getting themselves killed.

A lot of times, a little rain on this rock will cause traffic accidents. I can't say why that is except that we don't like driving in rain. Things are a lot different in the Pacific Northwest. Those guys love driving fast in the rain. The cars on the freeway will have roostertails behind them. I thought those guys were nuttier than heck!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.

We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
However, we don't use sand.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 9:00:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:

here you go - how different regions react to the snow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy5l-xmVsAA36SA.jpg

I am 30 miles from the Kentucky state line. We can hear of a snow threat or
flurries there and we start veering off into the ditches here.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 11:01 p.m., wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.

We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
However, we don't use sand.

We use a lot more sand than salt. Salt usually goes on at the beginning
of a storm. It doesn't melt snow. It lowers the freezing temperature. It
is used to form a "brine sandwich", a layer of slush, so that the plows
can slip under the snow and push it off the road. Otherwise, the plows
just ride up over the packed snow. Then they use sand, which is mixed
with just enough salt to stop it from freezing into big lumps. In
addition to providing traction, the dark material attacts light/heat.