Old 06-01-2019, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice Island Curry Powders

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old 06-01-2019, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.

John Kuthe...
Old 06-01-2019, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-05 9:55 p.m., cshenk wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

Actually.... there is a curry plant. It is called that because of its
strong smell. It is not used in cooking. Then there is the curry tree,
and the leaves of that are sometimes used in Indian cooking.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

Curry is a blend, but many leaves can be used. What you refer to is
only a little of it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree
Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 20:55:33 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

John Kuthe wrote:

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if “curry powder?€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

There is a curry plant but it has nothing to do with Indian cooking,
and certainly has nothing to do with cooking Indian curry.
https://www.recipetips.com/glossary-...urry-plant.asp

In Indian cookery curry is simply a word for stew, there are as many
variations of curry as there are Indian cooks who cook stew.... really
no different from any other ethnic cooks who cook stew, Indian cooks
don't skim off the fat, they serve it with a good inch of fat floating
at the surface... that's been my experience with the finest NYC Indian
restaurants. I think Indian cooking is disgusting.... a tureen of
schtinkin lamb greeze and pittifully few veggies. You'll never catch
me in an Indian restaurant again... Indian cookery is 5th world
garbage.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.

John Kuthe...

Which has not one whit to do with curry powder, or any of the various
spices that compose a curry powder.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

Curry is a blend, but many leaves can be used. What you refer to is
only a little of it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree

To the best of my knowledge, curry leaves are not dried and added to any
curry powder. They are only used whole (like bay leaf is), usually fresh,
occasionally dried, but I dont know a single €śreal€ť Indian that would ever
use dried ones despite their availability.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
window.

John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

===

There are plants called that though.

https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Veget...B&ccode=D19PGP

Old 06-01-2019, 08:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Joy Beeson wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if €œcurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

==

He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
it.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:49:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote:

As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

==

He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
it.

But was there mold in that water? Did he pay taxes on that water? Was
he insured for a possible water leakage? Just saying he watered that
plant is NOT the end of the story!

room for Alex, jinx and Pamela

Old 06-01-2019, 01:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €œcurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

I think this is what he is talking about:
https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder
Old 06-01-2019, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2019 6:14 AM, dejamos wrote:

I think this is what he is talking about:
https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder

Thank you, "dejamos".

Others .....read the "Details" below the main item.

I've made many "curries". Many do not utilize the "curry tree" leaf,
but, many do. It's a matter of which curry you prefer.

BTW, there are Chinese currries, Thai curries, even Japanese Curries.
I've made Moroccan curries, also. There is no name that even suggests
that it is a Moroccan "curry", but that's what it is, jes the same.

Try making a Thai green curry from scratch.

https://www.templeofthai.com/recipes...urry_paste.php

The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
"galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

"Curry" powder is merely an easy way to make a curry. A "short-cut", as
it were. It's why you can buy a Japanese curry, in a box.

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Curry-...e%2Bcurry&th=1

*****OR*****

https://tinyurl.com/y8y7zb4g

nb

nb
Old 06-01-2019, 04:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have used curry powder as you have - it's a pretty good idea. My wife and I used to eat Hawaiian style curry from a lunch wagon when we were going to school in the mid-seventies. We'd share a plate of it under a tree. It was a wonderful time of our lives.

The lunchwagon was named "Grace's Lunchwagon." The owners named it after their little daughter. They opened up a restaurant next door to where I work. I usually see their daughter working there. The curry still looks the same but the taste is a disappointment. The cook is using about twice the amount of curry powder than would be appropriate. I have no explanation for this.. That's the breaks.