Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight 1/1/2019

Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
rare. Mmmm!

I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!

Happy New Year!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:30:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
> rare. Mmmm!

No rain, 65F, and you still wimped out and cooking inside! :-)

Carnitas tacos w/cebolla y cilantro, papas fritas, and Intense
Choclate Ice Cream. My first real meal in 5 days.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2019 7:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Pan seared chuck steak.Â* Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
> rare.Â* Mmmm!
>
> I made quarter fries.Â* I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
> microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
> quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried
> thyme. Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and
> zucchini (which were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Jill

Ham-n-BEP's here , with a side of fresh baked corn bread . She done good
, real good .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced garlic,
> cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium rare. Mmmm!
>
> I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
> microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
> quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
> Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
> were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>
> Happy New Year!

I just ate some chili. Would have preferred it without the meat. Had only
cheese on top. Tiny flour tortillas with butter on the side. Was very good!
Need to take out some meat for tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 8:30:28 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
> rare. Mmmm!
>
> I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
> microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
> quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
> Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
> were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Jill

Homemade pizza, tossed salad.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 03:05:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 8:30:28 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
>> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
>> rare. Mmmm!
>>
>> I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
>> microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
>> quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
>> Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
>> were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>>
>> Happy New Year!
>>
>> Jill

>Homemade pizza, tossed salad.

Do you make the base too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:09:21 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 03:05:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 8:30:28 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
> >> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
> >> rare. Mmmm!
> >>
> >> I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
> >> microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
> >> quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
> >> Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
> >> were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
> >>
> >> Happy New Year!
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Homemade pizza, tossed salad.

> Do you make the base too?

Of course. I'd made enough dough for two meals a few weeks
ago, and froze half. Hard to say if it was any better or worse
than the first go-round.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
>garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
>rare. Mmmm!
>
>I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
>microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
>quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
>Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
>were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>
>Happy New Year!
>
>Jill

https://postimg.cc/JyZVPJcp

Roast goose, spuds, carrots, sprouts and cauliflower, gravy/apple
sauce and Banoffee Pie with Cream to follow. This was the goose
resting before being consumed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2019 8:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:30:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
>> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
>> rare. Mmmm!

> No rain, 65F, and you still wimped out and cooking inside! :-)

It drizzled all day. Doesn't matter where I cooked it, it was still
delicious!

> Carnitas tacos w/cebolla y cilantro, papas fritas, and Intense
> Choclate Ice Cream. My first real meal in 5 days.
>
> -sw

Have you been ill?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 11:38:55 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 1/1/2019 8:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:30:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
> >> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
> >> rare. Mmmm!

> > No rain, 65F, and you still wimped out and cooking inside! :-)
> >

> It drizzled all day. Doesn't matter where I cooked it, it was still
> delicious!

Not only that, but pan cooking a steak gives different results
from grilling. A person might feel in the mood for one over
another.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 09:36:31 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 08:34:23 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:30:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
>>>garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
>>>rare. Mmmm!
>>>
>>>I made quarter fries. I par-cooked a medium size gold potato in the
>>>microwave until almost tender, cut it into quarters and rubbed the
>>>quarters with neutral oil, sprinkled with S&P and a bit of dried thyme.
>>>Roasted it in the oven with the split yellow squash and zucchini (which
>>>were also rubbed with oil and seasoned). Delicious!
>>>
>>>Happy New Year!
>>>
>>>Jill

https://postimg.cc/JyZVPJcp

>>Roast goose, spuds, carrots, sprouts and cauliflower, gravy/apple
>>sauce and Banoffee Pie with Cream to follow. This was the goose
>>resting before being consumed

>Nice. What's banoffee pie?

Very sinful, but once a year is allowable. Basically, pastry blind
baked, layer of sliced bananas and then the 'toffee' which is
condensed milk which has been boiled in the can for about three hours
to turn it to a toffee like mix.
https://www.google.com/search?client...x-b&q=banoffee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:38:49 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/1/2019 8:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:30:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Pan seared chuck steak. Simply seasoned with S&P and some minced
>>> garlic, cooked in a cast iron skillet in a small bit of oil. Medium
>>> rare. Mmmm!

>> No rain, 65F, and you still wimped out and cooking inside! :-)
>>

> It drizzled all day. Doesn't matter where I cooked it, it was still
> delicious!

Must not have shown up on the radar.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 18:00:52 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 11:18 2 Jan 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote
>in :
>
>> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:09:21 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 03:05:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Do you make the base too?

>> Of course. I'd made enough dough for two meals a few weeks
>> ago, and froze half. Hard to say if it was any better or worse
>> than the first go-round.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Obstreperous Bruce will next ask if you grew the salad vegetables. Sigh.

I asked because I want to start making our pizza bottoms with
sourdough. Ideally, I'd freeze them rolled out, ready to go. As
convenient as when you buy prefab pizza bottoms. Could be a bit hard
to do.

I didn't ask it to check on Cindy or to tell her off if she used
prefab bottoms, as you probably think, knowing you a little bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:15:53 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 2-Jan-2019, Pamela > wrote:
>
>> On 11:18 2 Jan 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote
>> in :

>> > Of course. I'd made enough dough for two meals a few weeks
>> > ago, and froze half. Hard to say if it was any better or worse
>> > than the first go-round.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Obstreperous Bruce will next ask if you grew the salad vegetables. Sigh.

>Obstreperous; a word that has been seldom, if ever until now, used on RFC,
>but could apply often. 8-)

Nothing wrong with a bit of well timed, well dosed obstreperousness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

I asked because I want to start making our pizza bottoms with
sourdough. Ideally, I'd freeze them rolled out, ready to go. As
convenient as when you buy prefab pizza bottoms. Could be a bit hard
to do.

I didn't ask it to check on Cindy or to tell her off if she used
prefab bottoms, as you probably think, knowing you a little bit.

==

I make my own. If I make more then I need, I just freeze the dough in
portions. (lumps) I don't see why you couldn't roll it out first, but you
would need to keep it flat to freeze.

It comes out fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 08:14:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>

>I asked because I want to start making our pizza bottoms with
>sourdough. Ideally, I'd freeze them rolled out, ready to go. As
>convenient as when you buy prefab pizza bottoms. Could be a bit hard
>to do.
>
>I didn't ask it to check on Cindy or to tell her off if she used
>prefab bottoms, as you probably think, knowing you a little bit.
>
>==
>
>I make my own. If I make more then I need, I just freeze the dough in
>portions. (lumps) I don't see why you couldn't roll it out first, but you
>would need to keep it flat to freeze.
>
>It comes out fine.

That sounds good. We use home made pizzas as quick dinners when we
don't have time or energy to cook much, so I'd like the extra
convenience of ready to go bottoms. That probably beats prefabbers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 08:14:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message
>>>

>>>I asked because I want to start making our pizza bottoms with
>>>sourdough. Ideally, I'd freeze them rolled out, ready to go. As
>>>convenient as when you buy prefab pizza bottoms. Could be a bit hard
>>>to do.
>>>
>>>I didn't ask it to check on Cindy or to tell her off if she used
>>>prefab bottoms, as you probably think, knowing you a little bit.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I make my own. If I make more then I need, I just freeze the dough in
>>>portions. (lumps) I don't see why you couldn't roll it out first, but
>>>you would need to keep it flat to freeze.
>>>
>>>It comes out fine.

>> That sounds good. We use home made pizzas as quick dinners when we
>> don't have time or energy to cook much, so I'd like the extra
>> convenience of ready to go bottoms. That probably beats prefabbers.

>Who does most of the cooking in your house? Presumably it's your wife as
>you're too busy posting messages every half hour.

You have no idea about what I do and don't do and I like it that way

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 08:53:00 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 08:23 3 Jan 2019, Bruce > wrote in
:

om...

>>>Who does most of the cooking in your house? Presumably it's your wife
>>>as you're too busy posting messages every half hour.

>> You have no idea about what I do and don't do and I like it that way
>>

>Judging by the evasiveness of your answer, it seems I was right about
>you. How about cooking soemthing today instead of spending it posting
>messages here?

And who do you think you are?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2019 2:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:38:49 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> No rain, 65F, and you still wimped out and cooking inside! :-)
>>>

>> It drizzled all day. Doesn't matter where I cooked it, it was still
>> delicious!

> Must not have shown up on the radar.
>
> -sw

I don't rely on weather radar. I just look out the window.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 5:18 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> It drizzled all day.Â* Doesn't matter where I cooked it, it was still
>>> delicious!

>> Must not have shown up on the radar.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I don't rely on weather radar.Â* I just look out the window.

No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
on the motorcycle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 5:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Must not have shown up on the radar.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I don't rely on weather radar.Â* I just look out the window.

> No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
> always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
> on the motorcycle.

I don't go kayaking or things like that. My outdoor activities include
sitting outside to read or occasional grilling. I still don't rely on
some weather radar site that isn't anywhere near me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 5:53 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> I don't rely on weather radar.Â* I just look out the window.

>> No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>> always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions
>> or on the motorcycle.
>>

> I don't go kayaking or things like that.Â* My outdoor activities include
> sitting outside to read or occasional grilling.Â* I still don't rely on
> some weather radar site that isn't anywhere near me.

If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
weather information. I don't like to get caught in the rain. The radar
may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to get cloud
and precipitation information. The weather radars I look at are 30
miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 6:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-08 5:53 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>>> always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions
>>> or on the motorcycle.
>>>

>> I don't go kayaking or things like that.Â* My outdoor activities
>> include sitting outside to read or occasional grilling.Â* I still don't
>> rely on some weather radar site that isn't anywhere near me.
>>

> If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
> weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The radar
> may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to get cloud
> and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look at are 30
> miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.

The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia. I can
check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me to
look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.

Jill

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 6:09 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/8/2019 6:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't go kayaking or things like that.Â* My outdoor activities
>>> include sitting outside to read or occasional grilling.Â* I still
>>> don't rely on some weather radar site that isn't anywhere near me.
>>>

>> If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
>> weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The
>> radar may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to
>> get cloud and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look at
>> are 30 miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.
>>

> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia.Â* I can
> check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me to
> look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.

Savannah is less than 50 miles from you, well within Doppler radar range.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:34:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Must not have shown up on the radar.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I don't rely on weather radar.* I just look out the window.

>No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
>on the motorcycle.

The weather here is so flakey that we sometimes have to check the
radar before we go for a walk. We live on a point of land in Lake
Ontario, and rain or snow streamers can come in from either side of
the point.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:45:59 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:34:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2019-01-08 5:18 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> I don't rely on weather radar.* I just look out the window.

>>No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>>always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
>>on the motorcycle.

>The weather here is so flakey that we sometimes have to check the
>radar before we go for a walk. We live on a point of land in Lake
>Ontario, and rain or snow streamers can come in from either side of
>the point.
>
>Doris

Sounds lovely though
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:10:01 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 1/8/2019 6:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> I don't go kayaking or things like that.Â* My outdoor activities
> >> include sitting outside to read or occasional grilling.Â* I still don't
> >> rely on some weather radar site that isn't anywhere near me.
> >>

> > If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
> > weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The radar
> > may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to get cloud
> > and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look at are 30
> > miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.
> >

> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia. I can
> check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me to
> look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.

Ah, well. Not everybody is a nerd. I forgive you for being normal.

One of my favorite weather sites just has a big graph:

<https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.2112&lon=-83.5999&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical>

The models used by the National Weather Service aren't very good at
predicting for this area, so I only use them for the next day or two.
For a longer-range forecast, I use this:

<http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMI0904>

It has radar, so I can see what's coming.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 6:32 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-08 6:09 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
>>> weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The
>>> radar may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to
>>> get cloud and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look
>>> at are 30 miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.
>>>

>> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia.Â* I
>> can check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me
>> to look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.
>>

> Savannah is less than 50 miles from you, well within Doppler radar range.

I know where Savannah is, Dave. Doppler range be damned, the weather in
Savannah is not necessarily the same as it is here. Sure, it gives me a
general idea. Still, it might be pouring down rain there and sunny here
(or vice versa). The Weather Channel at least shows me conditions and
forcasts for Lady's Island, which is much closer to where I live.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 12:13 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 08 Jan 2019 04:32:26p, Dave Smith told us...

>>> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in
>>> Georgia.ÂÂ* I can check weather radar on the computer but really,
>>> it's enough for me to look out the window to know whether or not
>>> to fire up the grill.
>>>

>> Savannah is less than 50 miles from you, well within Doppler radar
>> range.
>>

> an't ou understand? Jill isn't interested in doplar radar and is
> perfectly happy the way things are.
>
> Like many other "helpers" in this group, none of you know when to
> STFU.

Don't worry about it, Wayne. Doppler out of Savannah gives me a general
idea, sure. But when it comes to cooking outdoors the best indication
for me is to go outside. Even if it's not raining, it's been very windy
lately. I use a Weber kettle charcoal grill. I *never* use the grill
when it's windy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 7:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:10:01 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>>> If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
>>> weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The radar
>>> may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to get cloud
>>> and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look at are 30
>>> miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.
>>>

>> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia. I can
>> check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me to
>> look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.

> Ah, well. Not everybody is a nerd. I forgive you for being normal.

Thanks, I think. Mostly I'm not desirous of getting soaked just so I
can say I cooked something on the grill. It's also been very windy.
It's really not a good idea to deal with hot coals when it's windy and
the house has wood siding. Not to mention all the "tinder" around.
Fallen pine needles and the like. I do keep the stuff blown or swept
off the driveway but I'm not tempting fate with errant sparks when it's
windy.

> One of my favorite weather sites just has a big graph:
>
> <https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.2112&lon=-83.5999&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical>
>
> The models used by the National Weather Service aren't very good at
> predicting for this area, so I only use them for the next day or two.
> For a longer-range forecast, I use this:
>
> <http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMI0904>
>
> It has radar, so I can see what's coming.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I get it, you're a weather nerd. Nothing wrong with that! You do a
lot more grilling that I do.

Gary once mentioned it's odd I use my grill on the driveway. I store
the Weber kettle in the garage which is right off the kitchen. I roll
it out to the driveway when I want to use it. It just makes sense to be
right near the kitchen when going in and out to check on things. I have
a patio but it's on the other side of the house. I'd be carrying food
through the living room to and from the grill. I don't see much point
in that since I eat at a table in the kitchen. Logistics.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 04:55:42 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

snip

>Ah, well. Not everybody is a nerd. I forgive you for being normal.
>
>One of my favorite weather sites just has a big graph:
>
><https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.2112&lon=-83.5999&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical>
>
>The models used by the National Weather Service aren't very good at
>predicting for this area, so I only use them for the next day or two.
>For a longer-range forecast, I use this:
>
><http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMI0904>
>
>It has radar, so I can see what's coming.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I use NOAA on the computer, my husband uses the Weather Channel. I
find it so interesting to follow the weather. Really interesting
stuff to see what's coming, where it is going. We keep track of
family and friend's weather to see what is going on in their world.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:45:59 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:34:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> I don't rely on weather radar.* I just look out the window.

>>No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>>always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
>>on the motorcycle.

>The weather here is so flakey that we sometimes have to check the
>radar before we go for a walk. We live on a point of land in Lake
>Ontario, and rain or snow streamers can come in from either side of
>the point.
>
>Doris

we live right at the base of some foothills. There is a road that
travels along the base -- in and out, up and down. On a particular 20
minute drive you can go in and out of snow, sunshine, rain -- all in
the same trip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 7:55 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:45:59 -0500, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:34:55 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> No point if you don't go our much or don't have outdoor activities. I
>>> always check the weather radar before heading out on kayak excursions or
>>> on the motorcycle.

>> The weather here is so flakey that we sometimes have to check the
>> radar before we go for a walk. We live on a point of land in Lake
>> Ontario, and rain or snow streamers can come in from either side of
>> the point.
>>
>> Doris

> we live right at the base of some foothills. There is a road that
> travels along the base -- in and out, up and down. On a particular 20
> minute drive you can go in and out of snow, sunshine, rain -- all in
> the same trip.

The Rockies play hell with the weather forecasting here. The TV channels
waste time showing 5, 7 or even 14 day predictions that are rarely
correct beyond 48 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:06 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Jan 2019 07:31:04a, jmcquown told us...

>>> Savannah is less than 50 miles from you, well within Doppler
>>> radar range.
>>>

>> I know where Savannah is, Dave. Doppler range be damned, the
>> weather in Savannah is not necessarily the same as it is here.
>> Sure, it gives me a general idea. Still, it might be pouring down
>> rain there and sunny here (or vice versa). The Weather Channel at
>> least shows me conditions and forcasts for Lady's Island, which is
>> much closer to where I live.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> We live i central Phoenx, and when I was working it was only 5 iles
> away. The weather here is so variable that we have full sun at home
> and a downpour at work. It varies like that throughout most of the
> state.

Doesn't matter where we've lived, the saying "Just wait a minute, it
will change" seems to apply.

Jill