Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonight's dinner

We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Jun 2008 09:17:51p, Cindy Fuller told us...

> We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
> make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
> exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
> the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
> gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
> the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
> the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
> pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
> sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
> with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.
>
> Cindy

Sounds yummy! I love duck with cherries.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 9:17*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. *I was originally going to
> make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
> exciting enough. *After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
> the gauntlet: *"We have cherries in the freezer. *Use that in the
> gemisch." *I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. *Deglazed
> the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. *Returned the duck to
> the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
> pepper. *Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
> sauce concentrate. *Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
> with some asparagus. *Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Interesting teamwork!

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:17:51 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
>make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
>exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
>the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
>gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
>the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
>the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
>pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
>sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
>with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Yummy! Cherries and duck are a natural. How did you come up with
that Thai curry thing?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
> make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
> exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
> the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
> gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
> the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
> the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
> pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
> sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
> with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.
>
> Cindy

It sounds good. What liquid did you braise the duck in, in addition to
chicken stock? Did you add red wine? What seasonings? Did you thicken the
sauce?
Thanks,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream mashed in; chickpea gravy;
buttered petite peas.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
> make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
> exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
> the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
> gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
> the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
> the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
> pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
> sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
> with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

That sounds wonderful. Cherries are great with duck.
I love duck! I just saw a similar recipe in my Cuisine
et Vin de France for duck breast with a cherry sauce.

Boy, now I'm hungry for duck!!!!! Damn you!!!! ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:17:28 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>I just saw a similar recipe in my Cuisine
>et Vin de France for duck breast with a cherry sauce.

Oh, translate the recipe please!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> It sounds good. What liquid did you braise the duck in, in addition to
> chicken stock? Did you add red wine? What seasonings? Did you thicken the
> sauce?

[The infamous SO responding...]

I participated in this project at the very beginning, discovering the
cherries in the freezer, and at the very end, finishing the sauce. I
added a bit of brown suger, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and some
shreds of fresh mint. Duck was removed from the pan, heat turned up to
reduce the liquid. Sometimes we toss in a bit of beurre manié (equal
parts flour and butter, squooshed into a blob) to thicken sauces. But
duck is already on the fatty side, so we did not do it this time, and it
was not missed.

I'l leave it to Cindy to report the spices and braising liquids. I was
playing with the cats while she was doing that part.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:03:49 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> It sounds good. What liquid did you braise the duck in, in addition to
>> chicken stock? Did you add red wine? What seasonings? Did you thicken the
>> sauce?

>[The infamous SO responding...]

Hey - this is nice, being able to hook one poster with another. Maybe
others knew already, but I hadn't noticed there was a connection
between you two.

>I participated in this project at the very beginning, discovering the
>cherries in the freezer, and at the very end, finishing the sauce. I
>added a bit of brown suger, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and some
>shreds of fresh mint. Duck was removed from the pan, heat turned up to
>reduce the liquid. Sometimes we toss in a bit of beurre manié (equal
>parts flour and butter, squooshed into a blob) to thicken sauces. But
>duck is already on the fatty side, so we did not do it this time, and it
>was not missed.

This is the crucial part anyway, Dr. V.

>I'l leave it to Cindy to report the spices and braising liquids. I was
>playing with the cats while she was doing that part.

Yeah, yeah... just like a man. Let the little woman do the hard part,
you do the part that gets raves and take a sweeping bow. LOL Encore,
encore!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf <.> wrote:

> >I'l leave it to Cindy to report the spices and braising liquids. I was
> >playing with the cats while she was doing that part.

> Yeah, yeah... just like a man. Let the little woman do the hard part,
> you do the part that gets raves and take a sweeping bow. LOL Encore,
> encore!

Well, she did most of the creative work on this one. I take no credit,
other than coming up with the suggestion to combine duck and cherries.
By coincidence, we had a nice Spanish wine already opened. It was a
garnacha, which I'm guessing is similar to a grenache. Very cherry-like
in flavor, a perfect match.

I really like most any duck recipes, but it's not always been that way.
There was a time, when I was very young, that I could not stand the
thought of those critters. My parents' first house was across the
street from a duck farm. File this away: never pick a house across the
street from a duck farm. In particular, never live across the street
and down-wind from a duck farm.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> sf wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:17:28 -0400, Kate Connally >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I just saw a similar recipe in my Cuisine
>>> et Vin de France for duck breast with a cherry sauce.

>> Oh, translate the recipe please!

> I'll be glad to, but I'll have to bring my magazine
> in from home. I looked on their web site but can't
> find that particular recipe. I don't recall the exact
> name of it. I was in the most recent issue that arrived
> about a week ago. I'll try to remember to bring it in
> tomorrow.
>
> Kate

Just FYI here's an entry from the La Rousse, it is for a whole
'duckling" but i don't see any reason why it could not be made with just
the breasts.

Canton Rouennais aux cerises.

Truss the duckling as for an entree. Broil it in a pan with butter.
When it is nearly cooked, put it into an oval shaped earthenware cocotte
with 1/2 pound of stoned Morello cherries. Dilute the pan juices with
Madeira, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of brown veal stock and put over the
duckling.

Simmer in the oven for a few minutes, sever in the same cocotte.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:58:21 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >, sf <.> wrote:
>
>> >I'l leave it to Cindy to report the spices and braising liquids. I was
>> >playing with the cats while she was doing that part.

>> Yeah, yeah... just like a man. Let the little woman do the hard part,
>> you do the part that gets raves and take a sweeping bow. LOL Encore,
>> encore!

>Well, she did most of the creative work on this one. I take no credit,
>other than coming up with the suggestion to combine duck and cherries.
>By coincidence, we had a nice Spanish wine already opened. It was a
>garnacha, which I'm guessing is similar to a grenache. Very cherry-like
>in flavor, a perfect match.
>
>I really like most any duck recipes, but it's not always been that way.
>There was a time, when I was very young, that I could not stand the
>thought of those critters. My parents' first house was across the
>street from a duck farm. File this away: never pick a house across the
>street from a duck farm. In particular, never live across the street
>and down-wind from a duck farm.

i used to know a gal who grew up on a turkey farm. are ducks any
smarter (or less vile) than turkeys?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> i used to know a gal who grew up on a turkey farm. are ducks any
> smarter (or less vile) than turkeys?

I've never had any long-term experience with turkeys or ducks. Ducks
seem to be cuter and more endearing.

When in grad school, I lived with friends on a farm for a few years, and
we kept chickens. They were fun to watch, especially at feeding time.
The social hierarchy (pecking order) was easy to spot. The top bird was
Margaret, a scrawny but feisty old hen who had survived many battles.
Half of her upper beak was gone, but that did not stop her from lording
over the other hens. Her throne was the seat on an old John Deere
tractor that we stored in the same shack as the chickens. One morning,
we came to the shack to get some eggs, and Margaret was motionless in
the straw. At dinner that night, we had the obligatory moment of
silence. And then we had Margaret noodle soup.

ObFood: Tonight Cindy made some tuna chunks, encrusted with sesame seeds
and white peppercorns, seared on the grill, and served with a Thai
dipping sauce. Damn fine.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> When in grad school, I lived with friends on a farm for a few years, and
> we kept chickens. They were fun to watch, especially at feeding time.
> The social hierarchy (pecking order) was easy to spot. The top bird was
> Margaret, a scrawny but feisty old hen who had survived many battles.
> Half of her upper beak was gone, but that did not stop her from lording
> over the other hens. Her throne was the seat on an old John Deere
> tractor that we stored in the same shack as the chickens. One morning,
> we came to the shack to get some eggs, and Margaret was motionless in
> the straw. At dinner that night, we had the obligatory moment of
> silence. And then we had Margaret noodle soup.

Urgh...

Eating an animal that died of natural causes doesn't sound like the best
idea. Although, obviously, you survived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
> > It sounds good. What liquid did you braise the duck in, in addition to
> > chicken stock? Did you add red wine? What seasonings? Did you thicken the
> > sauce?

> [The infamous SO responding...]
>
> I participated in this project at the very beginning, discovering the
> cherries in the freezer, and at the very end, finishing the sauce. I
> added a bit of brown suger, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and some
> shreds of fresh mint. Duck was removed from the pan, heat turned up to
> reduce the liquid. Sometimes we toss in a bit of beurre manié (equal
> parts flour and butter, squooshed into a blob) to thicken sauces. But
> duck is already on the fatty side, so we did not do it this time, and it
> was not missed.
>
> I'l leave it to Cindy to report the spices and braising liquids. I was
> playing with the cats while she was doing that part.

Chicken broth and a little balsamic vinegar. Freshly ground black
pepper. Nothing wild.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf <.> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:17:51 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>
> >We had two duck hindquarters in the freezer. I was originally going to
> >make Thai green curry with them, but the SO didn't think that was
> >exciting enough. After some rummaging around the kitchen, he threw down
> >the gauntlet: "We have cherries in the freezer. Use that in the
> >gemisch." I browned the duck, then sauteed some diced onion. Deglazed
> >the pan with chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Returned the duck to
> >the pan to braise, and threw in a little salt and freshly ground black
> >pepper. Shortly before serving, I tossed in the cherries and let the
> >sauce concentrate. Served the duck with couscous and fresh mint, along
> >with some asparagus. Not bad, if I do say so myself.
> >

> Yummy! Cherries and duck are a natural. How did you come up with
> that Thai curry thing?

I saw a duck in green curry paste recipe in the Original Thai Cookbook,
by Jennifer Brennan. This was the one that SO vetoed.

Cindy