Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mushroom Spinach Stuffs!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E

Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!

I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
>
> Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!
>
> I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!

That looks very good, John. I make something similar
often...mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter then a bit of
chicken stock and cornstarch to slightly thicken. Good to put
over baked potatoes (or mashed) and some other vegetables. Good
eats!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
> >
> > Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!
> >
> > I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!

> That looks very good, John. I make something similar
> often...mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter then a bit of
> chicken stock and cornstarch to slightly thicken. Good to put
> over baked potatoes (or mashed) and some other vegetables. Good
> eats!

Yep!! I nuke a small glass bowl of veggies, like green beans, broccoli, etc. and not only do I put the pan juices I cook my ground beast pattie in, I also put in some Mushroom Spinach Stuffs and it's YUMMIER!

Funny years ago when my son was quite young he said he loved the broccoli I cooked and served him, but he did NOT LIKE his mother's broccoli! So I asked him "Does your mother put butter on broccoli?" and he said no, she was on a weight loss kick! Aha!! ;-)

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
>
> Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!
>
> I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!
>
> John Kuthe...

Looks great but needs some garlic!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:50:05 PM UTC-6, Alex wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
> >
> > Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!
> >
> > I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:50:05 PM UTC-6, Alex wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>> > https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
>> >
>> > Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly ground black pepper!
>> >
>> > I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!
>> >
>> > John Kuthe...

>> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

>Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:

> >> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

> >Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.

What is an Angelo?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>> >Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

>> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>
>What is an Angelo?

A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
cuisine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>> >Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some
>> >tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

>> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of
>course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy,
>but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>
>What is an Angelo?

A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
cuisine

===

True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days .. not the
same at all)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:50:05 PM UTC-6, Alex wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>> > https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5CCBE7 5E
>> >
>> > Sliced mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and freshly
>> > ground black pepper!
>> >
>> > I like putting some on the green beans or broccoli I steam and eat!
>> >
>> > John Kuthe...

>> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

>Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight
>on my veggies and YUM!!!

Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

==

Thwap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:59:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>>I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of
>>course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy,
>>but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>
>>What is an Angelo?

>A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
>cuisine
>
>===
>
>True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days .. not the
>same at all)

I know. And the same applies to Dutch cuisine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:04:45 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

>>Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight
>>on my veggies and YUM!!!

>Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
>
>==
>
>Thwap!

lol, ok "old school Anglo".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>>I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of
>>course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was
>>yummy,
>>but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>
>>What is an Angelo?

>A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
>cuisine
>
>===
>
>True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days .. not
>the
>same at all)

I know. And the same applies to Dutch cuisine

==

Modern life ) Not bad in many things, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>> Looks great but needs some garlic!!

>>Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some
>>tonight
>>on my veggies and YUM!!!

>Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
>
>==
>
>Thwap!

lol, ok "old school Anglo".

===

;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:39:57 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> >What is an Angelo?

> A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
> cuisine

ROFL!!! Sometimes "spice pak" is great, sometimes not!

Foods DO have inherent FLAVORS!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse GONNABE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Dec 2018, Bruce wrote
(in >):

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:04:45 -0000, >
> wrote:
>

> > "Bruce" wrote in message ...
> >
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> > > Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight
> > > on my veggies and YUM!!!

> > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Thwap!

> lol, ok "old school Anglo".

I dont think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.

Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
meat such as chicken we endure today.

Ive no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter, but
they couldnt have been too bad or their bones would not have been found in
piles around known settlements.

Ok, so they didnt have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus a
multitude of edible berries at different times of year.

Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
doesnt mean we have to believe that as well.

Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to add
it to the cooking pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2018, Bruce wrote
> (in >):
>
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:04:45 -0000, >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > "Bruce" wrote in message ...
> > >
> > > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> > > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Thwap!

> > lol, ok "old school Anglo".

> I dont think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>
> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
> meat such as chicken we endure today.
>
> Ive no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter, but
> they couldnt have been too bad or their bones would not have been found in
> piles around known settlements.
>
> Ok, so they didnt have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus a
> multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>
> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
> doesnt mean we have to believe that as well.
>
> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to add
> it to the cooking pot.

I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century. Very few people are familiar
with the Forme of Cury, and earlier cookbooks are virtually nonexistent.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 12:27:38 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:59:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>>I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of
>>>course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was
>>>yummy,
>>>but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>>
>>>What is an Angelo?

>>A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
>>cuisine
>>
>>===
>>
>>True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days .. not
>>the
>>same at all)

>I know. And the same applies to Dutch cuisine
>
>==
>
>Modern life ) Not bad in many things, eh?

No, some things have definitely improved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:14:17 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:

>On 31 Dec 2018, Bruce wrote
>(in >):
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:04:45 -0000, >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>> >
>> > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Thwap!

>> lol, ok "old school Anglo".

>I don’t think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>
>Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
>meat such as chicken we endure today.
>
>I’ve no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter, but
>they couldn’t have been too bad or their bones would not have been found in
>piles around known settlements.
>
>Ok, so they didn’t have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus a
>multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>
>Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
>doesn’t mean we have to believe that as well.
>
>Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to add
>it to the cooking pot.

You go back very far. I was more referring to the English/Dutch way of
conservative, bland cooking, overcooked vegetables etc. I know things
have changed, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

>> I don’t think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>>
>> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
>> meat such as chicken we endure today.
>>
>> I’ve no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter, but
>> they couldn’t have been too bad or their bones would not have been found in
>> piles around known settlements.
>>
>> Ok, so they didn’t have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus a
>> multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>>
>> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
>> doesn’t mean we have to believe that as well.
>>
>> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to add
>> it to the cooking pot.

>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:28:10 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> > >Yep! Normally I do not, but I put some fresh garlic in and ate some tonight on my veggies and YUM!!!

> > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>
> What is an Angelo?
>
> John Kuthe...

It is the politically correct way to refer to white people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:30:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:28:10 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>> > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>
>> What is an Angelo?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>It is the politically correct way to refer to white people.

Most of Europe is white, but not Anglo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
>wrote:

>> I dont think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>>
>> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
>> meat such as chicken we endure today.
>>
>> Ive no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter,
>> but
>> they couldnt have been too bad or their bones would not have been found
>> in
>> piles around known settlements.
>>
>> Ok, so they didnt have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus
>> multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>>
>> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
>> doesnt mean we have to believe that as well.
>>
>> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to
>> add
>> it to the cooking pot.

>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.

===

Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.

I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
>>wrote:

>>> I don’t think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>>>
>>> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the bland
>>> meat such as chicken we endure today.
>>>
>>> I’ve no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter,
>>> but
>>> they couldn’t have been too bad or their bones would not have been found
>>> in
>>> piles around known settlements.
>>>
>>> Ok, so they didn’t have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things, plus
>>> multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>>>
>>> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on turnips
>>> doesn’t mean we have to believe that as well.
>>>
>>> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to
>>> add
>>> it to the cooking pot.

>>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

>Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>
>===
>
>Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>
>I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
Netherlands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
>>wrote:

>>> I dont think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>>>
>>> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the
>>> bland
>>> meat such as chicken we endure today.
>>>
>>> Ive no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that matter,
>>> but
>>> they couldnt have been too bad or their bones would not have been found
>>> in
>>> piles around known settlements.
>>>
>>> Ok, so they didnt have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things,
>>> plus
>>> multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>>>
>>> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on
>>> turnips
>>> doesnt mean we have to believe that as well.
>>>
>>> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished to
>>> add
>>> it to the cooking pot.

>>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

>Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>
>===
>
>Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>
>I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
Netherlands.

==

I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
Indonesian?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:13:17 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>>>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

>>Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>>60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>>much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>>
>>===
>>
>>Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>>
>>I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

>I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>Netherlands.
>
>==
>
>I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
>Indonesian?

Onion, garlic, ketjap (slightly sweet soy sauce), cumin, galangal,
ginger powder, lemon grass, coriander, turmeric over
meat/fish/tofu/tempeh/egg. Meat/vegetables in satay sauce. Chilli heat
to taste.

My mother cooked it 50% of the time. I would have liked 100%
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
>>>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

>>Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>>60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>>much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>>
>>===
>>
>>Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>>
>>I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

>I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>Netherlands.
>
>==
>
>I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
>Indonesian?

Onion, garlic, ketjap (slightly sweet soy sauce), cumin, galangal,
ginger powder, lemon grass, coriander, turmeric over
meat/fish/tofu/tempeh/egg. Meat/vegetables in satay sauce. Chilli heat
to taste.

My mother cooked it 50% of the time. I would have liked 100%

==

Pah you were spoiled enough <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:54:41 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:13:17 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>>>60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>>>much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>>Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>>>
>>>I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

>>I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>>Netherlands.
>>
>>==
>>
>>I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
>>Indonesian?

>Onion, garlic, ketjap (slightly sweet soy sauce), cumin, galangal,
>ginger powder, lemon grass, coriander, turmeric over
>meat/fish/tofu/tempeh/egg. Meat/vegetables in satay sauce. Chilli heat
>to taste.
>
>My mother cooked it 50% of the time. I would have liked 100%
>
>==
>
>Pah you were spoiled enough <g>

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...09552749050772
> 0_7719929425063575552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=sco ntent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a
> 68fef46929ae9ad8c547079b78de243&oe=5CCBE75E >>>> > >>>> > Sliced
> mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and >>>> > freshly
> ground black pepper! >>>> > >>>> > I like putting some on the green
> beans or broccoli I steam and eat! >>>> >

> > > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

> > I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper
> > of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which
> > was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
> >
> > What is an Angelo?

> A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
> cuisine
>
> ===
>
> True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days ..
> not the same at all)

Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times and I think, her Father's
time as well?

English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
when lentil curry came on the menu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2018, Bruce wrote
> (in >):
>
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:04:45 -0000, >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > "Bruce" wrote in message
> > >
> > > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...527490507720_7

> > > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Thwap!

> > lol, ok "old school Anglo".

> I dont think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>
> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the
> bland meat such as chicken we endure today.
>
> Ive no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that
> matter, but they couldnt have been too bad or their bones would not
> have been found in piles around known settlements.
>
> Ok, so they didnt have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things,
> plus a multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>
> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on
> turnips doesnt mean we have to believe that as well.
>
> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished
> to add it to the cooking pot.

England and other parts of Western europe show as first Argiculture,
wheat, rye, oats, peas, lentils and 3 others I have forgotten. It
suprised me that Cabbage doesnt make a blip for another 8,000 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-31 3:18 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...09552749050772
>> 0_7719929425063575552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=sco ntent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a
>> 68fef46929ae9ad8c547079b78de243&oe=5CCBE75E >>>> > >>>> > Sliced
>> mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and >>>> > freshly
>> ground black pepper! >>>> > >>>> > I like putting some on the green
>> beans or broccoli I steam and eat! >>>> >

>>> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper
>>> of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which
>>> was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>>
>>> What is an Angelo?

>> A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
>> cuisine
>>
>> ===
>>
>> True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days ..
>> not the same at all)

> Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
> England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times and I think, her Father's
> time as well?
>
> English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
> made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
> of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
> when lentil curry came on the menu.

The French poet Verlaine, taught at a rural school in Lincolnshire in
the 19C and lived with the headmaster and his family. His mother visited
and was astounded at the high quality of the dishes that they were
served. Their ONLY complaint was the lack of bread at the dinner table.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 16:27:42 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>
>> I don’t think Anglo Saxon cuisine was that bad.
>>
>> Remember that wild animals would have tasted much stronger than the
>> bland meat such as chicken we endure today.
>>
>> I’ve no idea what Pike tastes like, or Eels and Perch for that
>> matter, but they couldn’t have been too bad or their bones would not
>> have been found in piles around known settlements.
>>
>> Ok, so they didn’t have sugar; but they had honey to sweeten things,
>> plus a multitude of edible berries at different times of year.
>>
>> Just because there is a national myth that our ancestors lived on
>> turnips doesn’t mean we have to believe that as well.
>>
>> Wild garlic would have been plentiful in the hedgerows if they wished
>> to add it to the cooking pot.

>England and other parts of Western europe show as first Argiculture,
>wheat, rye, oats, peas, lentils and 3 others I have forgotten. It
>suprised me that Cabbage doesnt make a blip for another 8,000 years.

I think you should write a book. Call it "The cshenk Perspective". It
will be a cult hit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 5:16:00 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-31 3:18 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> "Bruce" wrote in message
> >>
> >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> >> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...09552749050772
> >> 0_7719929425063575552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=sco ntent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a
> >> 68fef46929ae9ad8c547079b78de243&oe=5CCBE75E >>>> > >>>> > Sliced
> >> mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and >>>> > freshly
> >> ground black pepper! >>>> > >>>> > I like putting some on the green
> >> beans or broccoli I steam and eat! >>>> >

> >> A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
> >> cuisine
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days ..
> >> not the same at all)

> > Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
> > England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times and I think, her Father's
> > time as well?
> >
> > English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
> > made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
> > of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
> > when lentil curry came on the menu.
> >

> The French poet Verlaine, taught at a rural school in Lincolnshire in
> the 19C and lived with the headmaster and his family. His mother visited
> and was astounded at the high quality of the dishes that they were
> served. Their ONLY complaint was the lack of bread at the dinner table.

And you were witness to this?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:13:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 5:16:00 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

>> > Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
>> > England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times and I think, her Father's
>> > time as well?
>> >
>> > English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
>> > made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
>> > of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
>> > when lentil curry came on the menu.
>> >

>> The French poet Verlaine, taught at a rural school in Lincolnshire in
>> the 19C and lived with the headmaster and his family. His mother visited
>> and was astounded at the high quality of the dishes that they were
>> served. Their ONLY complaint was the lack of bread at the dinner table.

>And you were witness to this?

It's a totally anecdotal attempt, by Anglo fanboy Graham, to prove
that English cooking wasn't so bad. The poor quality of this "proof"
actually supports the opposite claim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:28:10 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:32:43 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

>> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
>>
>> What is an Angelo?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> It is the politically correct way to refer to white people.

I'm white and I use garlic whenever it works!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:33:32 PM UTC-6, Alex wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
> >>
> >> What is an Angelo?
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...

> > It is the politically correct way to refer to white people.

> I'm white and I use garlic whenever it works!

I'm proud of you Alex. Shows you really can think through your cultural upbringing to be a capitalist asshole!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:36:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...09552749050772
> 0_7719929425063575552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=sco ntent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a
> 68fef46929ae9ad8c547079b78de243&oe=5CCBE75E >>>> > >>>> > Sliced
> mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and >>>> > freshly
> ground black pepper! >>>> > >>>> > I like putting some on the green
> beans or broccoli I steam and eat! >>>> >

> > > Normally you don't put in garlic? Do you cook like a true Anglo?

> > I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper
> > of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which
> > was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
> >
> > What is an Angelo?

> A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for its
> cuisine
>
> ===
>
> True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days ..
> not the same at all)

Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times aall nd I think, her Father's
time as well?

English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
when lentil curry came on the menu.

==

Yes, the old dishes are still made and appreciated, but, so many other
cuisines are prevalent now and there are many choices, which is a Good
Thing

Way back in the day, I lived in Malta for 4 years (courtesy of the military)
and I was immersed in Maltese and Italian cooking. I loved it all)

You are right though, our basic cooking is very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ... .
>
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
> >>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> >
> >===
> >
> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> >
> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> Netherlands.
>
> ==
>
> I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> Indonesian?

Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of
> >>Fruitcakes

> >>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
> >>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> >
> >===
> >
> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> >
> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> Netherlands.
>
> ==
>
> I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> Indonesian?

Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".

Cindy Hamilton

===

Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 7:26:08 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Bruce" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> > >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> > >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> > >
> > >===
> > >
> > >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> > >
> > >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> > I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> > Netherlands.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> > Indonesian?

> Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

Capsaicins! Cayenne pepper!

John Kuthe...