Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Warm Spinach & Portabella Mushroom Salad

found this on another newsgroup:

> Warm Spinach & Portabella Mushroom Salad
>
> Serves 4 Active Time: 20 Min Total Time: 20 Min
>
> 1 pkg (6 oz) portabella mushroom caps, 1-inch dice
> Salt and pepper to taste
> 2 Tbsp Oil
> 1 pkg (6 oz) Baby Spinach
> 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
> 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
>
> Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season mushrooms to taste with salt and
> pepper; toss with basting oil. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet.
> Roast 10-12 min, until tender. Set aside. Place spinach in large bowl. Add
> mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with oil and
> balsamic vinegar. Serve warm or at room temp.
>
> Vegetables: 1.0 cup(s) Calories: 120 Nutrition Info: Each serving (2 cups)
> contains 120 calories, 8 g carbohydrate, (4 g fiber), 3 g protein, 9 g
> fat, (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, and 90 mg sodium.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
: found this on another newsgroup:

: > Warm Spinach & Portabella Mushroom Salad
: >
[...]

this looks good, but I do have a general qustion about spinach.

Why is it only baby spinach that I see and that seems to be in all the
recipes? whatever happend to grown-up spinach, hill and dale leaves adn
all? It has a delightful, strong flavor that the baby lacks, but just
seems to have gon out of favor with the "in crowd." I can get it in
frozen leaf spinach, which is not bad for a frozen vegetable, but that
doesn't work in all thesalads I like to have spinach in.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>> found this on another newsgroup:

>>> Warm Spinach & Portabella Mushroom Salad
>>>
>>> Serves 4 Active Time: 20 Min Total Time: 20 Min
>>>
>>> 1 pkg (6 oz) portabella mushroom caps, 1-inch dice
>>> Salt and pepper to taste
>>> 2 Tbsp Oil
>>> 1 pkg (6 oz) Baby Spinach
>>> 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
>>> 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
>>>
>>> Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season mushrooms to taste with salt and
>>> pepper; toss with basting oil. Arrange in single layer on baking
>>> sheet. Roast 10-12 min, until tender. Set aside. Place spinach in
>>> large bowl. Add mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper.
>>> Toss with oil and balsamic vinegar. Serve warm or at room temp.
>>>
>>> Vegetables: 1.0 cup(s) Calories: 120 Nutrition Info: Each serving
>>> (2 cups) contains 120 calories, 8 g carbohydrate, (4 g fiber), 3 g
>>> protein, 9 g fat, (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, and 90 mg
>>> sodium.

> this looks good, but I do have a general qustion about spinach.
>
> Why is it only baby spinach that I see and that seems to be in all the
> recipes? whatever happend to grown-up spinach, hill and dale leaves
> adn all? It has a delightful, strong flavor that the baby lacks, but
> just seems to have gon out of favor with the "in crowd." I can get
> it in frozen leaf spinach, which is not bad for a frozen vegetable,
> but that doesn't work in all thesalads I like to have spinach in.

I am going to try rhis with "real" spinach. I have a bunch of young spinach
at the moment and I will lightly cook it first. Frozen spinach isn't big
here and it only comes in the regular kind. Fresh baby spinach is plentiful
for salads here (both greengrocers and supermarkets) but I am not going to
use it in this recipe. I'll have this with steak and other veggies tonight.
I am out of olive oil though and will be just using one oil - a new one (red
palm oil and canola oil mix). Hasn't got the full bodied flavour of olive
oil but will still do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> : found this on another newsgroup:
>

> : > Warm Spinach & Portabella Mushroom Salad
> : >
> : > Serves 4 Active Time: 20 Min Total Time: 20 Min
> : >
> : > 1 pkg (6 oz) portabella mushroom caps, 1-inch dice
> : > Salt and pepper to taste
> : > 2 Tbsp Oil
> : > 1 pkg (6 oz) Baby Spinach
> : > 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
> : > 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
> : >
> : > Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season mushrooms to taste with salt and
> : > pepper; toss with basting oil. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet.
> : > Roast 10-12 min, until tender. Set aside. Place spinach in large bowl. Add
> : > mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with oil and
> : > balsamic vinegar. Serve warm or at room temp.
> : >
> : > Vegetables: 1.0 cup(s) Calories: 120 Nutrition Info: Each serving (2 cups)
> : > contains 120 calories, 8 g carbohydrate, (4 g fiber), 3 g protein, 9 g
> : > fat, (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, and 90 mg sodium.
>
> this looks good, but I do have a general qustion about spinach.
>
> Why is it only baby spinach that I see and that seems to be in all the
> recipes? whatever happend to grown-up spinach, hill and dale leaves adn
> all? It has a delightful, strong flavor that the baby lacks, but just
> seems to have gon out of favor with the "in crowd." I can get it in
> frozen leaf spinach, which is not bad for a frozen vegetable, but that
> doesn't work in all thesalads I like to have spinach in.
>
> Wendy

i have NO idea why baby spinach is the rage

maybe because you don't have to remove the large vein down the middle of
the leaf?

all i know is that my spinach goes to seed before i can eat it all

--
kate
type 1 since 1987