Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Nylons for Christmas...!!!

Yup...maybe some of you gals remember wearing nylons...here is a World War II story for ya:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...XT9ta1FJdhAbI4

"All they wanted for Christmas was nylon stockings

Chicago Tribune

December 20th 2016

By Lara Weber

Women cheered the end of World War II in the late summer of 1945, and then they hit the department stores. At last, after years of using nylon to make parachutes and other supplies for the war effort, the hosiery factories would start churning out women's nylons once again. And from the news pages to business, sports and women's columns, the Tribune documented shoppers' frenzy for nylons.

At first, the expectation was "Nylons by New Year's," as one headline from Aug. 12, 1945, promised. The story quoted the president of Gotham Hosiery Shop: "Assuming the government meant what it said when it promised to release nylon immediately after the conclusion of the war, women can expect to be wearing nylon stockings in time to celebrate a victorious new year."

Another story a few days later told of a veritable nylon riot in northern California as 1,000 women rushed a hosiery mill that had just released 12,000 pairs of prewar nylons the president of the mill had squirreled away back when manufacturing was halted.

Tribune features writer Edith Weigle traveled the country that fall reporting on the manufacturing process of nylons and updating shoppers on expected availability. "Because the well of women's demands apparently is bottomless, due to the complete lack of nylons in the war years, manufacturers are united in trying to get as many stockings to them as quickly as possible. The idea is to produce nylons €” just nylons. Not fancy colors, not varied leg lengths."

By September, women were setting their sights on a nylon-filled Christmas, but they knew supplies would be limited. The rush to production hit a snag, a headline Sept. 19 warned. "Less than one pair of nylons per woman will be available by Christmas with predicted production of 3,500,000 dozen pairs by that time. ... It probably would be late spring or early summer before women could buy nylons whenever they wished."

In November, small batches of nylons began to arrive at stores in Chicago. A Nov. 30 Tribune story reported that 1,000 women (and a few men) lined up at Robinson's, at 233 S. State St., to buy 300 pairs of nylons, $1.35 each. It was hardly enough to meet demand, and a Dec. 11 story prepared women for the worst: "Early predictions that huge quantities of nylon hosiery would be available before Christmas were 'far too optimistic,' the manufacturers said."

Hopes for holiday hosiery were dashed, as "White Collar Girl" columnist Ruth MacKay wrote Dec. 31, but even in the darkest nylon shortage a glimmer of good will emerged.

"Nylons? Well, the year ends with that particular white collar girl commodity in critical state as illustrated by a State St. incident. A regular customer kept asking 'How about some nylons for my wife?' to which the salesgirl would reply, 'Haven't been able to get any for myself.' Each time the customer clucked sympathetically. Just before Christmas he was back at the counter with a pair of nylons for the salesgirl €” (he) had picked them up at a jobber's."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

[...]

==

Awww that was nice, thank you Aye lad, them were t'days ... ;p

OH yes, and Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.

I hope 2019 brings you all joy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 21:00:02 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>Yup...maybe some of you gals remember wearing nylons...here is a World War II story for ya:
>
>https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...XT9ta1FJdhAbI4
>
>"All they wanted for Christmas was nylon stockings

Was a time when all ladies dainties were of silk, far more seductive
than nylon... during WWl airmen 'hit the silk' because parachutes were
made of silk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJ1WG0CUEk
My mom detested nylon, she only wore silk.
https://www.cervin-store.com/en/14-silk