Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cutting cheese

Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-22 1:02 p.m., KenK wrote:
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.

Cut straight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2018 11:02 AM, KenK wrote:

> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.

Quite often, cheese knives (or other types of knives) have a "one-sided"
cutting edge. IOW, the sharpening bevel is only on one side.

My cheese knife and bread knife are like that. Makes fer very uneven
cuts. As my late father-in-law usta say, "Gotta be smarter than the
tool".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Dec 2018 18:02:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
>slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
>irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>
>TIA

You need a wire cheese cutter:
https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:27:57 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2018 18:02:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
> >Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> >slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> >irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
> >
> >TIA

> You need a wire cheese cutter:
> https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire

I was going to suggest a wire cheese cutter, too, or a serrated knife, but has been pointed out to me it's really a scalloped edge knife. You might consider
this type of cheese cutter as well. I hope the link shows up where you can
view the different models.

https://www.amazon.com/wire-cheese-c...ting% 20board

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:27:57 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2018 18:02:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
> >Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> >slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> >irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
> >
> >TIA

> You need a wire cheese cutter:
> https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire

Better yet, this kind:
https://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-805B-...tter+with+wire

Gives you more control over slice thickness and consistency. Works
better on soft cheeses too.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2018 1:02 PM, KenK wrote:
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>
> TIA

Depends on the softness of the cheese. I use a cheese planer to cut
thin slices. When I was a kid my mother had a wire cutter with a
roller. Ah yes, I still have it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2018 1:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-22 1:02 p.m., KenK wrote:
>> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting
>> thin
>> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
>> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>>

> Cut straight.

A warm knife helps.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2018 10:02 AM, KenK wrote:
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>
> TIA

Are you wearing glasses for the proper distance? Seriously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thin knife and sober.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 17:10:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/22/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:
>> On 22 Dec 2018 18:02:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>>
>>> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
>>> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
>>> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>>>
>>> TIA

>> You need a wire cheese cutter:

https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire

>Sometimes Sheldon gets things right - cheese wires work very well.

If you make enough random statements, you're going to be correct every
now and then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:54:48 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:27:57 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On 22 Dec 2018 18:02:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>>
>> >Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
>> >slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
>> >irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>> >
>> >TIA

>> You need a wire cheese cutter:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire

>Better yet, this kind:
>https://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-805B-...tter+with+wire
>
>Gives you more control over slice thickness and consistency. Works
>better on soft cheeses too.

With those types you're paying mostly for the wooden board. something
that just takes up storage space for something most people rarely
use.... I put a bit of olive oil on a paring knife and it slices
through cheese like a champ. For slicing a small chunk an egg slicer
works a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.

I have a wire cutter for cheese. It's a huge one but... If I want slices, I
buy slices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 17:15:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"KenK" > wrote in message
>> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
>> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
>> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.

>I have a wire cutter for cheese. It's a huge one but... If I want slices, I
>buy slices.

Me too... if I want slices I buy Sargento... sliced baby Swiss in 8 oz
packs at $2.39. When store brand is on sale it's two 8 oz packets at
$3.39.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Really now, who did cut the cheese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 17:10:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> You need a wire cheese cutter:

https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adj...tter+with+wire

>> Sometimes Sheldon gets things right - cheese wires work very well.

> If you make enough random statements, you're going to be correct every
> now and then.

I don't want to be around when Popeye cuts the cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Often you can buy cheese in small blocks. What's the trick of cutting thin
> slices off these for sandwiches? A VERY sharp knife? My slices are very
> irregular, thick at one ond, thin at the other, or only partial slices.
>
> TIA

When I want thin slices I use a cheese wire.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2018 12:10 AM, Cheri wrote:

> When I want thin slices I use a cheese wire.

I usta use a cheese wire, but you gotta watch 'em. Too often the wire
will unravel and come loose. Make sure the wire is very secure.

I now use a cheese knife (holes in blade or cut-outs), but it is
single-side serrated edge. I'd use my "egg slicer", but it's a
"Chinese-cheapo" and barely makes it thru an egg.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 12/23/2018 12:10 AM, Cheri wrote:

> When I want thin slices I use a cheese wire.

I usta use a cheese wire, but you gotta watch 'em. Too often the wire
will unravel and come loose. Make sure the wire is very secure.

I now use a cheese knife (holes in blade or cut-outs), but it is
single-side serrated edge. I'd use my "egg slicer", but it's a
"Chinese-cheapo" and barely makes it thru an egg.

nb

==

I wondered about my egg slicer going through cheese. I suppose it depends
what kind of cheese you are cutting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 12/23/2018 12:10 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> When I want thin slices I use a cheese wire.

> I usta use a cheese wire, but you gotta watch 'em. Too often the wire
> will unravel and come loose. Make sure the wire is very secure.
>
> I now use a cheese knife (holes in blade or cut-outs), but it is
> single-side serrated edge. I'd use my "egg slicer", but it's a
> "Chinese-cheapo" and barely makes it thru an egg.
>
> nb

Since I only use it a couple of times a year haven't had a problem with it,
but will check next time I use it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

>>More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.

>Pre sliced are the least pricey cheeses.

But more expensive than the same cheese not pre-sliced.

>The best quality cheeses are
>either sold as whole cheeses, in blocks, or from a deli sliced to
>order. The pre sliced cheese I see are relatively inexpensive,
>packaged in resealable plastic pouches. Pre sliced is sold in small
>packages, 8-12 ounces, sizes that won't spoil before all eaten.

That depends how fast you eat it.

>Ialmost always buy packaged slices nowadays, I don't buy anything from
>the local delis anymore, they are filthy and the clerks are usually
>pimply faced teens with no training.

Of course. Everything was better in the old days. Tell us again about
your newspaper run.

>While handling food they are
>talking away (conversating), I can see their spittle spraying the
>slicer.

In the old days, clerks didn't even have spittle. Nor did they
"conversate".

> Most delis up here in the boonies are essentially gaseteria
>convenience stores. The cleanest delis with the best trained clerks
>where I live are at the Super Walmarts, they're the only delis where I
>buy sliced to order.

You must live in hell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.

===

To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 19:59:36 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>>Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

>More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.
>
>===
>
>To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

Yes, maybe because it dries out much faster?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>>Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

>More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.
>
>===
>
>To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

Yes, maybe because it dries out much faster?
==

I don't know. It is like plastic when it is still in its wrapping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:01:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

> More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.
>
> ===
>
> To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

My daughter buys sliced cheese. She makes sandwiches with it. Boy, they are really thin! I'll use them for omelets - three slices per. They work great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 13:27:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:01:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>>
>> >Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

>> More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

>My daughter buys sliced cheese. She makes sandwiches with it. Boy, they are really thin! I'll use them for omelets - three slices per. They work great!

Besides, when the big Aloha Famine hits, you'll be happy to have some
slices of cheese in the back of your fridge! Boy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 14:36:34 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/23/2018 1:36 PM, wrote:
>> Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?
>>

>Most pre-sliced is crap compared to a block of a fine aged cheese.
>Those of us that appreciate quality slice out own.

Sargento produces pre sliced as good as sliced to order at the typical
deli, and it's far cleaner, deli slicers are disease ridden, lucky if
they are occasionally wiped down with a filthy schmatah. Kraft also
sells some pretty good packaged block cheese. At a deli I never buy
sliced, I have them hack off a block/wedge, I don't want anything off
their slicers... even cold cuts I buy by say the half pound chunk and
slice it myself at home... I can slice genoa salami by hand better
than they can by machine... and I slice how much I need, I really
prefer coldcuts not all sliced at once. And most times the deli
clerks slice hard saw-seege too thick because their wimpy pc keyboard
arms can't make too many slices before they crap out.

The good thing about the Super Walmart delis here is they use robotic
slicers, the clerk punches in the code and weight and within seconds
your order is all ready and perfectly sliced to the proper
thickness... and if you want a different thickness they can
override... I like my Hormel Di Luso genoa super thin. Hormel Di Luso
Genoa used to contain whole black peppercorns but no more, was much
better back then... I'd like to meet the dago shadrool who changed the
recipe so I can put the creep over my knee and paddle his low life
faggot ass with a stick ball bat... yoose capeche Hormel... yoose
gonna be fitted for C-Menta shoose and dumped off the Mill Basin
bridge when the horseshoe crabs is feeding,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:01:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:36:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >Why not just buy pre sliced cheese?

> More expensive, shorter shelf life, less choice.
>
> ===
>
> To me, pre sliced cheese seem plastiky!

My daughter buys sliced cheese. She makes sandwiches with it. Boy, they are
really thin! I'll use them for omelets - three slices per. They work great!

==

Are they like real cheese?