Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A simple dinner

I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.

Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).

1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
1 cup water
1/2 a small chopped hot onion
8 cloves garlic
Cajun blend seasoning
Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta

4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
1/2 a small hot onion
1/4 cup bacon fat
Bohemeian blend seasoning
Fried up slow in a cast iron pan

2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed

2 mangos, cut to slices
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
>I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
> microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
>
> Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
>
> 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
> 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
> 8 cloves garlic
> Cajun blend seasoning
> Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
>
> 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
> 1/2 a small hot onion
> 1/4 cup bacon fat
> Bohemeian blend seasoning
> Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
>
> 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
>
> 2 mangos, cut to slices

What is a hot onion?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 23:54:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>>I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
>> microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
>>
>> Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
>>
>> 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
>> 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
>> 8 cloves garlic
>> Cajun blend seasoning
>> Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
>>
>> 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
>> 1/2 a small hot onion
>> 1/4 cup bacon fat
>> Bohemeian blend seasoning
>> Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
>>
>> 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
>>
>> 2 mangos, cut to slices

>What is a hot onion?

An onion that is not a sweet onion.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8506113_tel...n-hot-one.html

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
> > microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
> >
> > Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
> >
> > 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
> > 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
> > 1 cup water
> > 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
> > 8 cloves garlic
> > Cajun blend seasoning
> > Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
> >
> > 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
> > 1/2 a small hot onion
> > 1/4 cup bacon fat
> > Bohemeian blend seasoning
> > Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
> >
> > 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
> >
> > 2 mangos, cut to slices

> What is a hot onion?

You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.

A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.

My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 23:54:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"cshenk" > wrote in message
> > > I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
> >> microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
> > >
> >> Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
> > >
> >> 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
> >> 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
> >> 1 cup water
> >> 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
> >> 8 cloves garlic
> >> Cajun blend seasoning
> >> Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
> > >
> >> 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
> >> 1/2 a small hot onion
> >> 1/4 cup bacon fat
> >> Bohemeian blend seasoning
> >> Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
> > >
> >> 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
> > >
> >> 2 mangos, cut to slices

> > What is a hot onion?

> An onion that is not a sweet onion.
>
> https://www.ehow.com/how_8506113_tel...n-hot-one.html
>
> Doris

Good answer Doris! I tend to use shape since it's a little easier on
some types.

Cooking right now? Tandoori spiced potatoes in olive oil, bacon fat
with about 1/3c hot onion chopped in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 "cshenk" wrote:

>My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape.
>If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
>a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.

That's the rule for choosing a bra,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> What is a hot onion?

> You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>
> A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
> softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
> flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>
> My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
> If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
> a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.

yes, pretty good summary, but of course not a
universal thing, i'm sure you could find counter-
examples in all of those groupings for the others.

and then there are green onions...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 12:10:04 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> > I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
>> > microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
>> >
>> > Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
>> >
>> > 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
>> > 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
>> > 1 cup water
>> > 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
>> > 8 cloves garlic
>> > Cajun blend seasoning
>> > Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
>> >
>> > 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
>> > 1/2 a small hot onion
>> > 1/4 cup bacon fat
>> > Bohemeian blend seasoning
>> > Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
>> >
>> > 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
>> >
>> > 2 mangos, cut to slices

>> What is a hot onion?

>You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>
>A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
>softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
>flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>
>My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
>If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
>a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.

Yes. Those white-skinned pointy onions are definitely hotter. We also
find that (with red onions especially) the smaller ones are quite a
bit hotter.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:46:50 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> What is a hot onion?

>> You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>>
>> A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
>> softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
>> flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>>
>> My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
>> If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
>> a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.

> yes, pretty good summary, but of course not a
>universal thing, i'm sure you could find counter-
>examples in all of those groupings for the others.
>
> and then there are green onions...
>
> songbird

Since converting to purchasing only sweet onions I find them in all
sizes and configurations... mainly due to the strain of onion and
where grown. Vidalias are more oblate (flattened). NYS sweets are
globular (round). In NYS hot onions are called "Bold".
https://www.syracuse.com/food/index....s_ video.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> What is a hot onion?

> > You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
> >
> > A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a
> > sweet softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a
> > stronger flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in
> > between both.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the
> > onion. If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and
> > thinner, it's a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be
> > sweeter.

> yes, pretty good summary, but of course not a
> universal thing, i'm sure you could find counter-
> examples in all of those groupings for the others.
>
> and then there are green onions...
>

> songbird

Oh sure! It's a mere rule of thumb sort of thing. Smaller leeks are
less bitter falls in the same line.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 12:10:04 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> What is a hot onion?

> > You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
> >
> > A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a
> > sweet softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a
> > stronger flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in
> > between both.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the
> > onion. If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and
> > thinner, it's a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be
> > sweeter.

> Yes. Those white-skinned pointy onions are definitely hotter. We also
> find that (with red onions especially) the smaller ones are quite a
> bit hotter.
>
> Doris

Yup and I've noted pointy red ones are hotter than pointy white ones
tough that may have to do with what is sold locally here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> I had fancier plans but forgot to defrost the pork and somhow the
>>> microwave defrost doesnt appeal to me.
>>>
>>> Instead we made a meal of the sides (grin).
>>>
>>> 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz
>>> 1 bag frozen okra (16oz)
>>> 1 cup water
>>> 1/2 a small chopped hot onion
>>> 8 cloves garlic
>>> Cajun blend seasoning
>>> Don and I had this in a bowl and Charlotte put it over pasta
>>>
>>> 4 medium potatoes, cut rustic and long
>>> 1/2 a small hot onion
>>> 1/4 cup bacon fat
>>> Bohemeian blend seasoning
>>> Fried up slow in a cast iron pan
>>>
>>> 2 ears of corn, cut in 3rds and steamed
>>>
>>> 2 mangos, cut to slices

>> What is a hot onion?

> You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>
> A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
> softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
> flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>
> My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
> If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
> a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.

Im curious now, in recipes calling for 1 €śmedium€ť onion, are they
specifying size or hotness? In particular, non-USian recipes, where the
type of onion matters more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2018 6:30 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> cshenk > wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> What is a hot onion?

>> You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>>
>> A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
>> softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
>> flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>>
>> My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
>> If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
>> a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.
>>

> Im curious now, in recipes calling for 1 €śmedium€ť onion, are they
> specifying size or hotness? In particular, non-USian recipes, where the
> type of onion matters more.

I always took it as size. We see very little variety of onions, usually
yellow, white, Vidalia in season.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 12/2/2018 6:30 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> cshenk > wrote:

>>> You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
>>>
>>> A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a sweet
>>> softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a stronger
>>> flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in between both.
>>>
>>> My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the onion.
>>> If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and thinner, it's
>>> a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be sweeter.
>>>

>> Im curious now, in recipes calling for 1 €śmedium€ť onion, are they
>> specifying size or hotness? In particular, non-USian recipes, where the
>> type of onion matters more.
>>

> I always took it as size. We see very little variety of onions, usually
> yellow, white, Vidalia in season.

I have as well, but I do a fair amount of Indian cooking, and sometimes the
type of onion used does matter, so thats why prompted me to question my
knowledge base.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:

> cshenk > wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> What is a hot onion?

> > You can see it from Doris but it's a term for the main 3 sorts.
> >
> > A sweet onion among other things has more sugar and browns to a
> > sweet softness. A hot onion makes you eyes tear up more and has a
> > stronger flavor over all. Medium is just what it sounds like, in
> > between both.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is you can generally tell by the shape of the
> > onion. If it's almost round, it's a medium. If it's taller and
> > thinner, it's a hot. If it's wider and shorter, it's apt to be
> > sweeter.
> >

> Im curious now, in recipes calling for 1 €śmedium€ť onion, are they
> specifying size or hotness? In particular, non-USian recipes, where
> the type of onion matters more.

Probably a bit of both