Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A dog fight!

I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud! WTF?

I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms
(protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.

Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
Whew, no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.

I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 12:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!Â*
> WTF?
>
> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
> away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat.Â* Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear.Â* Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>
> Jill

Â* Max has yet to meet another dog he doesn't like . He wakes me most
mornings by jumping on my wife's side of the bed ... "You better do
something with that dog" . I think the chickens wake him when they start
crowing around 5 or so , and he does OK for a while but then wants out
to pee .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!
>WTF?
>
> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms (protectively)
> and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away. And another woman
> hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do. Whew,
> no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>
> Jill

I don't think everyone assumes that, just the not so smart ones. My dog does
not like other dogs at all, we don't take her to the dog park and places
like that, or bring her in contact with other dogs while walking, we cross
the street. DH carries a large club in case some unleashed pit bull decides
to cross the street though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud! WTF?
>
> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms (protectively)
> and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away. And another woman
> hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do. Whew,
> no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>
> Jill

I don't think everyone assumes that, just the not so smart ones. My dog does
not like other dogs at all, we don't take her to the dog park and places
like that, or bring her in contact with other dogs while walking, we cross
the street. DH carries a large club in case some unleashed pit bull decides
to cross the street though.

Cheri

==

Oh yes! You know the history of our current dog. She is terrified of ALL
dogs!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!
>>WTF?
>>
>> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms
>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
>> And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>
>> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do. Whew,
>> no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>>
>> I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
>> ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>>
>> Jill

> I don't think everyone assumes that, just the not so smart ones. My dog
> does
> not like other dogs at all, we don't take her to the dog park and places
> like that, or bring her in contact with other dogs while walking, we cross
> the street. DH carries a large club in case some unleashed pit bull
> decides
> to cross the street though.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Oh yes! You know the history of our current dog. She is terrified of ALL
> dogs!

Yes, there have been some bad experiences for your dog and mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!
>>WTF?
>>
>> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms
>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
>> And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>
>> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do. Whew,
>> no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>>
>> I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
>> ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>>
>> Jill

> I don't think everyone assumes that, just the not so smart ones. My dog
> does
> not like other dogs at all, we don't take her to the dog park and places
> like that, or bring her in contact with other dogs while walking, we cross
> the street. DH carries a large club in case some unleashed pit bull
> decides
> to cross the street though.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Oh yes! You know the history of our current dog. She is terrified of ALL
> dogs!

Yes, there have been some bad experiences for your dog and mine.

Cheri

==

At least they have us to care for, love them and protect them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news

> Yes, there have been some bad experiences for your dog and mine.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> At least they have us to care for, love them and protect them.

True, they are thriving on it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news

> Yes, there have been some bad experiences for your dog and mine.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> At least they have us to care for, love them and protect them.

True, they are thriving on it.

Cheri

==

Oh yes, she is the boss around here lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 12:40:36 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* Max has yet to meet another dog he doesn't like. He wakes me most
> mornings by jumping on my wife's side of the bed ... "You better do
> something with that dog". I think the chickens wake him when they start
> crowing around 5 or so, and he does OK for a while but then wants out
> to pee.

Is a doggie door an option?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 12:30:53 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud! WTF?
>
> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms
> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
> And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
> Whew, no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat. Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear. Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>
> Jill

Some dogs are just mean assholes! Always taught that way!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 12:40:36 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 11/18/2018 12:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!Â*
> > WTF?
> >
> > I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
> > (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
> > away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
> >
> > Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do..
> > Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
> >
> > I'm so glad I have a cat.Â* Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> > ear.Â* Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
> >
> > Jill

> Â* Max has yet to meet another dog he doesn't like . He wakes me most
> mornings by jumping on my wife's side of the bed ... "You better do
> something with that dog" . I think the chickens wake him when they start
> crowing around 5 or so , and he does OK for a while but then wants out
> to pee .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

You GOTTA get up to let the dog out to pee! Problem is, dog does not wanna come back in, maybe!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 6:12 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 12:40:36 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 11/18/2018 12:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!
>>> WTF?
>>>
>>> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
>>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
>>> away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>>
>>> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
>>> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>>>
>>> I'm so glad I have a cat.Â* Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
>>> ear.Â* Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â* Max has yet to meet another dog he doesn't like . He wakes me most
>> mornings by jumping on my wife's side of the bed ... "You better do
>> something with that dog" . I think the chickens wake him when they start
>> crowing around 5 or so , and he does OK for a while but then wants out
>> to pee .
>>
>> --
>> Snag
>> Yes , I'm old
>> and crochety - and armed .
>> Get outta my woods !

> You GOTTA get up to let the dog out to pee! Problem is, dog does not wanna come back in, maybe!
>
> John Kuthe...

Â* No , problem is that he runs off if I just let him out . The
neighbors don't much like having him visit ... If he'd stay home I'd put
the doggy door back in and just let him decide .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 1:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling.Â* Loud!
> WTF?
>
> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
> And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat.Â* Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear.Â* Her whiskers tickle. (smile)
>
> Jill

I did *not* mean to post this here. Mea culpa.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-18 1:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling.Â* Loud!
> WTF?
>
> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading away.
> And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>
> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>
> I'm so glad I have a cat.Â* Buffy woke me up this morning purring in my
> ear.Â* Her whiskers tickle. (smile)

When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around other
dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought his Lab over to go
for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought his dog
back and did not want Sonny there. I used to walk him in the woods
behind us and let him run free. A couple times we ran into people with
dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog park opened up
nearby we tried it out and he was fine. Dogs tend to get along much
better when there are no leashes involved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 11:32 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-18 1:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> I heard this loud commotion out front.Â* Dogs barking, snarling.Â* Loud!
>> WTF?
>>
>> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
>> away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>
>> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
>> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>>

> When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around other
> dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought hisÂ* LabÂ* over to go
> for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought his dog
> back and did not want Sonny there.Â* I used to walk him in the woods
> behind us and let him run free.Â* A couple times we ran into people with
> dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog park openedÂ* up
> nearby we tried it out and he was fine.Â*Â* Dogs tend to get along much
> better when there are no leashes involved.

I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
nowhere. Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood. Dogs
should always be under the owners control, on a leash. These were, and
they didn't like each other. Uncontrolled, it could have been a bad
situation involving trips to the vet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 11/18/2018 11:32 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-18 1:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling. Loud!
>> WTF?
>>
>> I walked out front. There was a man with a dog in his arms
>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
>> away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>
>> Not all dogs get along. I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
>> Whew, no bloodshed. It could have been a bad situation.
>>

> When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around other
> dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought his Lab over to go
> for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought his dog
> back and did not want Sonny there. I used to walk him in the woods
> behind us and let him run free. A couple times we ran into people with
> dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog park opened up
> nearby we tried it out and he was fine. Dogs tend to get along much
> better when there are no leashes involved.

I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
nowhere. Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood. Dogs
should always be under the owners control, on a leash. These were, and
they didn't like each other. Uncontrolled, it could have been a bad
situation involving trips to the vet.

Jill

===

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-19 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/18/2018 11:32 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around
>> other dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought hisÂ* LabÂ* over
>> to go for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought
>> his dog back and did not want Sonny there.Â* I used to walk him in the
>> woods behind us and let him run free.Â* A couple times we ran into
>> people with dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog
>> park openedÂ* up nearby we tried it out and he was fine.Â*Â* Dogs tend to
>> get along much better when there are no leashes involved.
>>

> I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
> nowhere.Â* Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood.Â* Dogs
> should always be under the owners control, on a leash.Â* These were, and
> they didn't like each other.Â* Uncontrolled, it could have been a bad
> situation involving trips to the vet.

Perhaps not. I have seen too many cases of dogs getting along fine
when both are loose, but very aggressive when one or both are leashed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2018 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 11/18/2018 11:32 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-11-18 1:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>> I heard this loud commotion out front. Dogs barking, snarling.Â*
>>> Loud! WTF?
>>>
>>> I walked out front.Â* There was a man with a dog in his arms
>>> (protectively) and his wife with a smaller dog on a leash heading
>>> away. And another woman hurrying her larger dog away from them.
>>>
>>> Not all dogs get along.Â* I don't know why everyone assumes they do.
>>> Whew, no bloodshed.Â* It could have been a bad situation.
>>>

>> When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around
>> other dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought hisÂ* LabÂ* over
>> to go for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought
>> his dog back and did not want Sonny there. I used to walk him in the
>> woods behind us and let him run free. A couple times we ran into
>> people with dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog
>> park openedÂ* up nearby we tried it out and he was fine.Â*Â* Dogs tend
>> to get along much better when there are no leashes involved.
>>

> I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
> nowhere.Â* Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood.Â* Dogs
> should always be under the owners control, on a leash.Â* These were,
> and they didn't like each other. Uncontrolled, it could have been a
> bad situation involving trips to the vet.
>
> Jill
>

> ===
>
> +1

Â* When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our neighbor
about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one name Tippy .
They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in the middle .
They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner - kinda like The
Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of them died , been so
long I don't recall which expired first . But neither ever went to the
vet over a bite or two .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had a female boxer, in dog show no points are taken away from a boxer for showing aggresion (sp?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 5:37:50 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I once had a female boxer, in dog show no points are taken away from a boxer for showing aggresion (sp?)

I do believe in the AKC big show to judge the years top dog they are either
disqualified or points taken away if they bite the judge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I meant if they attack other dogs not a person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our neighbor
about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one name Tippy .
They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in the middle .
They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner - kinda like The
Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of them died , been so
long I don't recall which expired first . But neither ever went to the
vet over a bite or two .

Snag

==

Awww perhaps they enjoyed it?))) If one of them were being badly hurt,
they would back off

I always get Border Collies and always rescues. My current one is terrified
of other dogs

She was found in a house with 42 dogs and 2 cats and the owner had died.
She's had pups but there were none to be seen so they must have eaten them.
She was skin and bone ... heh you ought to see her now Perhaps I have
been a bit too generous ... yes she is a bit overweight but the vet never
gives me any grief The RSPCA who found them had to share them all out
with rescue centres. They put Poppy in a cage with another dog (thinking
that because they knew each other ...) but she was bullied so badly by other
other dog they moved her out. It took her a long time to trust us, but
now, she can't bear either of us to be out of her sight. She is a lovely
girl and we love her to bits)

I hope you always have happy dogs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2018 5:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 11/19/2018 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...

>>> When we got our Malinois we were told that he could not be around
>>> other dogs. That was confirmed when my brother brought hisÂ* LabÂ* over
>>> to go for a walk. Sonny was so vicious that my bother never brought
>>> his dog back and did not want Sonny there. I used to walk him in the
>>> woods behind us and let him run free. A couple times we ran into
>>> people with dogs running free and he was fine. When a leash free dog
>>> park openedÂ* up nearby we tried it out and he was fine.Â*Â* Dogs tend
>>> to get along much better when there are no leashes involved.
>>>

>> I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
>> nowhere.Â* Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood.Â* Dogs
>> should always be under the owners control, on a leash.Â* These were,
>> and they didn't like each other. Uncontrolled, it could have been a
>> bad situation involving trips to the vet.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>> ===
>>
>> +1
>>

> Â* When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our neighbor
> about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one name Tippy .
> They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in the middle .
> They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner - kinda like The
> Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of them died , been so
> long I don't recall which expired first . But neither ever went to the
> vet over a bite or two .

That may be true in your neck of the woods. IMHO any dog bite needs to
be treated by a vet. There is no way to know whether or not a dog has
been vaccinated. I wouldn't take a chance.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2018 5:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message news >
> Â* When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our neighbor
> about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one name Tippy .
> They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in the middle .
> They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner - kinda like The
> Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of them died , been so
> long I don't recall which expired first . But neither ever went to the
> vet over a bite or two .
>
> Â*Snag
>
> ==
>
> Awww perhaps they enjoyed it?)))Â* If one of them were being badly
> hurt, they would back off
>
> I always get Border Collies and always rescues.Â* My current one is
> terrified of other dogs
>
> She was found in a house with 42 dogs and 2 cats and the owner had
> died. She's had pups but there were none to be seen so they must have
> eaten them. She was skin and bone ... heh you ought to see her nowÂ*Â*
> Perhaps I have been a bit too generous ... yes she is a bit overweight
> but the vet never gives me any griefÂ*Â* The RSPCA who found them had
> to share them all out with rescue centres.Â*Â* They put Poppy in a cage
> with another dog (thinking that because they knew each other ...) but
> she was bullied so badly by other other dog they moved her out.Â*Â* It
> took her a long time to trust us, but now, she can't bear either of us
> to be out of her sight.Â* She is a lovely girl and we love her to bits)
>
> I hope you always have happy dogs

Â* Interesting , Maxie Poo's (Doggus Maximus the Handsome Hairball) mom
was a rescue dog , pregnant when rescued . So while she's a Cur we
actually don't know what his father was ... but one of the first
comments we hear from those who know Mountain Curs is "Kinda big for a
cur , what else is in him?" . 26" at the shoulder and over 70 lbs IS big
for a Cur , but within specs for the breed . And our grand daughter
thinks he looks like Scooby Doo ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2018 7:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/19/2018 5:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 11/19/2018 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'm not talking about a dog park or in the "woods" in the middle of
>>> nowhere.Â* Unleashed dogs are not a good thing in a neighborhood.Â*
>>> Dogs should always be under the owners control, on a leash.Â* These
>>> were, and they didn't like each other. Uncontrolled, it could have
>>> been a bad situation involving trips to the vet.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>> ===
>>>
>>> +1
>>>

>> Â*Â* When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our
>> neighbor about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one
>> name Tippy . They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in
>> the middle . They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner -
>> kinda like The Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of
>> them died , been so long I don't recall which expired first . But
>> neither ever went to the vet over a bite or two .
>>

> That may be true in your neck of the woods.Â* IMHO any dog bite needs
> to be treated by a vet.Â* There is no way to know whether or not a dog
> has been vaccinated.Â* I wouldn't take a chance.
>
> Jill

Â* Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" .Â* Max on the
other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2018 8:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 11/20/2018 7:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Â*Â* When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our
>>> neighbor about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one
>>> name Tippy . They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in
>>> the middle . They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner -
>>> kinda like The Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of
>>> them died , been so long I don't recall which expired first . But
>>> neither ever went to the vet over a bite or two .
>>>

>> That may be true in your neck of the woods.Â* IMHO any dog bite needs
>> to be treated by a vet.Â* There is no way to know whether or not a dog
>> has been vaccinated.Â* I wouldn't take a chance.
>>
>> Jill

> Â* Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" .Â* Max on the
> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .

I'm not talking about the 1950's. Dogs need to be vaccinated against
rabies and Parvo. And lyme disease, especially living in the woods
where ticks are prevalent. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
vaccinations and vet care for pets.

I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
other. It was clear to me they didn't like each other.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message newst133f$8g6$1@dont-

> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a vet
> , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the other
> hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .

Very true, also dogs were mostly outside in those days, no fancy food or
anything and just about every table scrap was fed to them, there really were
no prohibited foods as far as I can remember.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/20/2018 8:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> That may be true in your neck of the woods. IMHO any dog bite needs to
>>> be treated by a vet. There is no way to know whether or not a dog has
>>> been vaccinated. I wouldn't take a chance.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
>> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the
>> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .
>>

> I'm not talking about the 1950's. Dogs need to be vaccinated against
> rabies and Parvo. And lyme disease, especially living in the woods where
> ticks are prevalent. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
> vaccinations and vet care for pets.
>
> I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
> other. It was clear to me they didn't like each other.
>
> Jill

Yes, times have changed for sure when it comes to pet ownership, changed in
a much better way too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/20/2018 8:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> That may be true in your neck of the woods. IMHO any dog bite needs to
>>> be treated by a vet. There is no way to know whether or not a dog has
>>> been vaccinated. I wouldn't take a chance.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
>> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the
>> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .
>>

> I'm not talking about the 1950's. Dogs need to be vaccinated against
> rabies and Parvo. And lyme disease, especially living in the woods where
> ticks are prevalent. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
> vaccinations and vet care for pets.
>
> I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
> other. It was clear to me they didn't like each other.
>
> Jill

Yes, times have changed for sure when it comes to pet ownership, changed in
a much better way too.

Cheri

==

YES!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
On 11/20/2018 5:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" wrote in message news >
> When I was a child , we had a Border Collie named Ring . Our neighbor
> about an eighth of a mile down and across the road had one name Tippy .
> They'd step out in the road , see each other and meet in the middle .
> They were pretty evenly matched , never a clear winner - kinda like The
> Hatfields and McCoys . The feud went on until one of them died , been so
> long I don't recall which expired first . But neither ever went to the
> vet over a bite or two .
>
> Snag
>
> ==
>
> Awww perhaps they enjoyed it?))) If one of them were being badly
> hurt, they would back off
>
> I always get Border Collies and always rescues. My current one is
> terrified of other dogs
>
> She was found in a house with 42 dogs and 2 cats and the owner had
> died. She's had pups but there were none to be seen so they must have
> eaten them. She was skin and bone ... heh you ought to see her now
> Perhaps I have been a bit too generous ... yes she is a bit overweight
> but the vet never gives me any grief The RSPCA who found them had
> to share them all out with rescue centres. They put Poppy in a cage
> with another dog (thinking that because they knew each other ...) but
> she was bullied so badly by other other dog they moved her out. It
> took her a long time to trust us, but now, she can't bear either of us
> to be out of her sight. She is a lovely girl and we love her to bits)
>
> I hope you always have happy dogs

Interesting , Maxie Poo's (Doggus Maximus the Handsome Hairball) mom
was a rescue dog , pregnant when rescued . So while she's a Cur we
actually don't know what his father was ... but one of the first
comments we hear from those who know Mountain Curs is "Kinda big for a
cur , what else is in him?" . 26" at the shoulder and over 70 lbs IS big
for a Cur , but within specs for the breed . And our grand daughter
thinks he looks like Scooby Doo ...

Snag

===

LOL. Well he IS on the BIG side <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:36:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cheri" wrote in message news >
>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
>>> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the
>>> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .
>>>

>> I'm not talking about the 1950's. Dogs need to be vaccinated against
>> rabies and Parvo. And lyme disease, especially living in the woods where
>> ticks are prevalent. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
>> vaccinations and vet care for pets.
>>
>> I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
>> other. It was clear to me they didn't like each other.
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, times have changed for sure when it comes to pet ownership, changed in
>a much better way too.
>
>Cheri
>
>==
>
>YES!!!

I'm more a pussy person but Rocky was the sweetest pooch I've known:
https://postimg.cc/F7FzDcBs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> I'm more a pussy person but Rocky was the sweetest pooch I've known:
> https://postimg.cc/F7FzDcBs

Awwwwww, he is pretty and looks to be quite friendly and lovable. When I
was teenager we had a golden retriever and he was incredibly sweet tempered.
We lived a block and a half from an elementary school and he knew to meet
the children mornings and when they got out of school for all the petting
he could ever want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Cheri" wrote in message news >
>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
>>> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the
>>> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .
>>>

>> I'm not talking about the 1950's. Dogs need to be vaccinated against
>> rabies and Parvo. And lyme disease, especially living in the woods where
>> ticks are prevalent. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
>> vaccinations and vet care for pets.
>>
>> I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
>> other. It was clear to me they didn't like each other.
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, times have changed for sure when it comes to pet ownership, changed in
>a much better way too.
>
>Cheri
>
>==
>
>YES!!!

I'm more a pussy person but Rocky was the sweetest pooch I've known:
https://postimg.cc/F7FzDcBs

==

Awww s/he looks lovely)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2018 8:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/20/2018 8:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> That may be true in your neck of the woods.Â* IMHO any dog bite needs
>>> to be treated by a vet.Â* There is no way to know whether or not a
>>> dog has been vaccinated.Â* I wouldn't take a chance.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â*Â* Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw
>> a vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" .Â* Max on
>> the other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .
>>

> I'm not talking about the 1950's.Â* Dogs need to be vaccinated against
> rabies and Parvo.Â* And lyme disease, especially living in the woods
> where ticks are prevalent.Â* Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe in
> vaccinations and vet care for pets.
>
> I'm just glad the dogs being who got into a scuffle didn't hurt each
> other.Â* It was clear to me they didn't like each other.
>
> Jill

Â* Jill , re-read my post(s) . Ring was from my childhood , hell he's
been dead over 50 years now . "And that was old when Ring was a pup." is
a phrase that brings back memories ... but anyway , Max DOES get a full
spectrum vaccination annually - except the vet recommended a 3 year
rabies vaccine . I give him the rest and he's almost due for this year's
.. He also gets heartworm medsand Frontline plus for ticks and fleasevery
month . We luvs our Maxie Poo and want him to be healthy and happy . So
far so good .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2018 8:22 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> newst133f$8g6$1@dont-
>

>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw
>> a vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on
>> the other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .

> Very true, also dogs were mostly outside in those days, no fancy food
> or anything and just about every table scrap was fed to them, there
> really were no prohibited foods as far as I can remember.
>
> Cheri

* Chicken/bird bones . They can splinter into sharp pieces .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/20/2018 8:22 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
>> newst133f$8g6$1@dont-
>>

>>> Â Times were different back in the 50's ... I suspect Ring never saw a
>>> vet , and vaccinations weren't common for "country dogs" . Max on the
>>> other hand gets the full spectrum of recommended vaccinations .

>> Very true, also dogs were mostly outside in those days, no fancy food or
>> anything and just about every table scrap was fed to them, there really
>> were no prohibited foods as far as I can remember.
>>
>> Cheri

> Chicken/bird bones . They can splinter into sharp pieces .

Back then, they got it all. I wouldn't feed them that now for sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 23:04:33 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> > Chicken/bird bones . They can splinter into sharp pieces .

> Back then, they got it all. I wouldn't feed them that now for sure.

When raw, poultry wings don't splinter the same way they do when
cooked. I regularly used to feed our (big-breed) dogs raw chicken
wings. They loved them. With smaller breeds I might be a little more
circumspect but our cocker spaniel would be allowed to gnaw on one
from time to time.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Who Wins This Fight? Gary Sokolisch[_2_] Vegan 5 28-09-2011 09:17 PM
Food Fight!!! Lin General Cooking 0 06-03-2008 12:23 AM
Better Bottles... Fight! Fight! Fight! jim Winemaking 13 02-01-2007 06:16 PM
Food Fight? DrLogard General Cooking 3 10-05-2006 04:51 PM
Latino's Next Fight.....Get You One Of These.... K)D Spanish Fever! Mexican Cooking 0 25-02-2006 03:53 AM