Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delayed Pot Roast

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

> Why is it being 'delayed'? It looks ready to dig into right now.

Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.

==

He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

>> Why is it being 'delayed'?Â* It looks ready to dig into right now.
>>

> Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
>
> ==
>
> He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 18. November 2018 04:15:24 UTC+1 schrieb Jill McQuown:
> On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message ...
> > On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
> >> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

> >> Why is it being 'delayed'?Â* It looks ready to dig into right now.
> >>

> > Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

> Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.

Burial at sea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
> On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

>> Why is it being 'delayed'? It looks ready to dig into right now.
>>

> Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
>
> ==
>
> He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.

Jill

===

Yes, I saw it. But he is cooking the meat IN that stew and he chops it up
later! I expect he will cut up those veg too.

Not something I have ever done, but that is the way he likes to do it.

So what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sanne" wrote in message

Am Sonntag, 18. November 2018 04:15:24 UTC+1 schrieb Jill McQuown:
> On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
> > On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
> >> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

> >> Why is it being 'delayed'? It looks ready to dig into right now.
> >>

> > Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

> Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.

Burial at sea.

==

Aahh but it will be resurrected <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 2:30 AM, Sanne wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 18. November 2018 04:15:24 UTC+1 schrieb Jill McQuown:
>> On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

>>> Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

>> Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.

> Burial at sea.

LOL!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 4:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message ...
>> On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
>>> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

>>> Why is it being 'delayed'?Â* It looks ready to dig into right now.
>>>

>> Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

> Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.
>
> Jill
>
> ===
>
> Yes, I saw it.Â* But he is cooking the meat IN that stew and he chops it
> up later! I expect he will cut up those veg too.
> Not something I have ever done, but that is the way he likes to do it.
>
> So what?

No big deal. It just doesn't look like any pot roast I've ever made.
He can and will do whatever he wants, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 09:47:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
>On 11/17/2018 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>> On 11/17/2018 2:07 PM, wrote:
>>> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

https://postimg.cc/7fcYXmLw

>>> Why is it being 'delayed'? It looks ready to dig into right now.
>>>

>> Looks like beef stew with once big piece of meat.

I already explained 'delayed', I planned to do it the day before but
it snowed plus I needed to attach the front loader and plow to the
tractor. I should have done that job sooner but it's something too
dangerous to do by myself and my wife was on LI dealing with hospice.

>> ==
>>
>> He did say he doesn't chop it up to cook it.

>Yeah, but if you look at the picture it's drowning in liquid.
>
>Jill
>
>===
>
>Yes, I saw it. But he is cooking the meat IN that stew and he chops it up
>later! I expect he will cut up those veg too.
>
>Not something I have ever done, but that is the way he likes to do it.
>
>So what?

There really isn't a lot of liquid... the roast being one solid piece
there are no voids for liquid to go as with small bits of meat as cut
for a typical stew. I never buy precut stew meat... it's all the
scraps too ugly to sell as full cuts.

I push all the veggies under the meat (lifted the meat with a fork by
those strings) so they will cook evenly and also fit, that's why the
meat appears to be floating. Tying a roast makes for easier turning
when browning too. I had to dig down with a spoon so some potatoes
would appear in the photo. Those are small red potatoes, eyed and
halved. Before serving the roast will be sliced and placed back into
the pot to reheat and a corn starch slurry added as a thickener. That
meal is served with knife and fork so one can slice the meat and
veggies as they like. I bought those red spuds last week when they
were $2,99 in five pound bags, BOGO... 10 lbs/$10 was a bargain.
Those carrots were in bags labled "Cooking Carrots", ~1 1/2" diam. X
~8" long, huge specimens. They were sold in one pound bags or five
pound bags, I bought a five pounder, either way was $1/lb... ladies
were snapping them up.

Were I preparing pot pies or vegetable beef soup then I'd cut
everything into small pieces. That's how I've always prepared pot
roast... meat cooled some, sliced, and placed back to reheat... it's
much easier to slice cold boiled beef. I think my way makes a better
presentation when plated... small bits looks too much like canned
Dinty Moore... or Campbells vegetable beef soup.

I usually add a few whole onions but lately I've been adding one large
Vidallia minced fine early on... was also an entire head of garlic
added diced fine and six bay leaves, a can of beer and a can of
crushed tomatoes. This was served with steamed broccoli, asparagus
and cauliflower, because all were on sale.

Anyone wants pot roast differently feel free to do your version in
your pot and post pictures.