Tim

Default delayed serving method?/ new guy

Hello all,
Long time lurker here...new to Q. I've been using a Weber kettle grill
for many years and it seems a natural progression. I have a charbroil
h2o smoker. After a few modifications to the smoker I have done some
decent Q. My big test is coming this week. I will be smoking a couple
of butts Wednesday for my daughter's graduation bash Thursday
afternoon.
My questions:
1)what is the best way to serve the meat being that it will be smoked
the day before...all my meals in the past have gone pretty much smoker
to plate in the same day.
2) internal temps seem to be a "hot" discussion (sorry)...my first try
was a shoulder that I brought up to around 170 internal temp. The
taste was good...however I didn't get the "pulled" effect...more of a
slice...I wrote this off to the cut of meat...perhaps if I let the
temp come up closer to 190 that is when you get the pulled effect I'm
looking for? Does anyone tie the meat?
3)with two butts in the smoker should both be on the top rack, even if
they are close, but I would think you wouldn't want them touching...or
should I have one on the lower rack and then perhaps alternate about
half way through cooking? (they are vey similar in size)
Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim
Duwop

Tim wrote:
> Hello all,
> Long time lurker here...new to Q. I've been using a Weber kettle grill
> for many years and it seems a natural progression. I have a charbroil
> h2o smoker. After a few modifications to the smoker I have done some
> decent Q. My big test is coming this week. I will be smoking a couple
> of butts Wednesday for my daughter's graduation bash Thursday
> afternoon.

Good choice.

> My questions:
> 1)what is the best way to serve the meat being that it will be smoked
> the day before...all my meals in the past have gone pretty much smoker
> to plate in the same day.

Pulled pork sandwiches, burritos, quesadillas, tacos. The stuff reheats real
easy too.

> 2) internal temps seem to be a "hot" discussion (sorry)...my first try
> was a shoulder that I brought up to around 170 internal temp. The
> taste was good...however I didn't get the "pulled" effect...more of a
> slice...I wrote this off to the cut of meat...perhaps if I let the
> temp come up closer to 190 that is when you get the pulled effect I'm
> looking for? Does anyone tie the meat?

You probably want closer to 200, 190 will shred, but kinda chunky, 195-200
will shred real nice.

> 3)with two butts in the smoker should both be on the top rack, even if
> they are close, but I would think you wouldn't want them touching...or
> should I have one on the lower rack and then perhaps alternate about
> half way through cooking? (they are vey similar in size)
> Thanks in advance for any help.

You're right about not touching, if you go for the top bottom configuration,
dont worry about alternating them, one will just cook a little longer than
the other is all, no problem. Different pieces take differing lenths of time
to cook anyway, so may get lucky and put the slower cooking piece on the
hotter grate. And I wouldnt want to try moving a butt before its done in any
case.

Tim

thanks for the reply...my post was a little vague,,,my question is;
should I shred the meat Wednesday and then reheat in the oven
Thurs,,,just wrap in foil...?
Thanks,
Tim

"Duwop" > wrote in message >...
> Tim wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > Long time lurker here...new to Q. I've been using a Weber kettle grill
> > for many years and it seems a natural progression. I have a charbroil
> > h2o smoker. After a few modifications to the smoker I have done some
> > decent Q. My big test is coming this week. I will be smoking a couple
> > of butts Wednesday for my daughter's graduation bash Thursday
> > afternoon.

> Good choice.
>
> > My questions:
> > 1)what is the best way to serve the meat being that it will be smoked
> > the day before...all my meals in the past have gone pretty much smoker
> > to plate in the same day.

> Pulled pork sandwiches, burritos, quesadillas, tacos. The stuff reheats real
> easy too.
>
> > 2) internal temps seem to be a "hot" discussion (sorry)...my first try
> > was a shoulder that I brought up to around 170 internal temp. The
> > taste was good...however I didn't get the "pulled" effect...more of a
> > slice...I wrote this off to the cut of meat...perhaps if I let the
> > temp come up closer to 190 that is when you get the pulled effect I'm
> > looking for? Does anyone tie the meat?

> You probably want closer to 200, 190 will shred, but kinda chunky, 195-200
> will shred real nice.
>
> > 3)with two butts in the smoker should both be on the top rack, even if
> > they are close, but I would think you wouldn't want them touching...or
> > should I have one on the lower rack and then perhaps alternate about
> > half way through cooking? (they are vey similar in size)
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

> You're right about not touching, if you go for the top bottom configuration,
> dont worry about alternating them, one will just cook a little longer than
> the other is all, no problem. Different pieces take differing lenths of time
> to cook anyway, so may get lucky and put the slower cooking piece on the
> hotter grate. And I wouldnt want to try moving a butt before its done in any
> case.

Duwop

Tim wrote:
> thanks for the reply...my post was a little vague,,,my question is;
> should I shred the meat Wednesday and then reheat in the oven
> Thurs,,,just wrap in foil...?
> Thanks,
> Tim

People do both sucessfully, most agree pulling the meat is easier to do
fresh though. And be sure to mix the bark in real well, that's the flavor
there. No need to be afraid of oversmoking pork butts as long as the smoke
is sweet.

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:

> People do both sucessfully, most agree pulling the meat is easier to do
> fresh though. And be sure to mix the bark in real well, that's the flavor
> there.

I certainly agree, it's easier to pull fresh, and then gently
re-heat. One trick I've seen is to reheat pulled pork in a
pan, first chopping up an onion, sauté it until softened in a little
oil or butter, then adding the pulled pork and some beer and cook
it all down. This technique seems ti distribute some of the bark
flavor into the rest of the meat, too.

Dana

Dana Myers

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> Those disposable plastic containers (Ziploc, Glad, et al) will handle
> low oven heat. Using the casserole sized ones works really well with
> pulled pork - since they're low and flat you can easily pull, mix,
> reheat and serve.

I've never heated one in a conventional oven, but I use
them all the time to reheat in a microwave oven (typically
at 20% power for a long time). However, you've got a good
point, low oven heat would work with them just as well.

Cheers,
Dana

Jack Curry

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> monroe(the future is plastics)

From "The Graduate."

Jack Curry
-still hot for Katherine Ross-

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Dana
Myers > wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
> > Those disposable plastic containers (Ziploc, Glad, et al) will handle
> > low oven heat. Using the casserole sized ones works really well with
> > pulled pork - since they're low and flat you can easily pull, mix,
> > reheat and serve.

> I've never heated one in a conventional oven, but I use
> them all the time to reheat in a microwave oven (typically
> at 20% power for a long time). However, you've got a good
> point, low oven heat would work with them just as well.

You can't take 'em much above 250F and the lid will need to be off. The
labels give the limits. I usually nuke mine, too, truth be told.
The low flat shape keeps the liquid:meat ratio properly in line. Pulled
pork that has sat completely submerged in a congealed wad of lipid
nasty is not yum yum.
If you're carrying Q abroad, you can never count on the reheat
equipment to be what you need. Hell, I guess you could strap it shut
tight and warm it up in the dishwasher if absolutely desperate.

monroe(necessity is a mother)
Dana Myers

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> If you're carrying Q abroad, you can never count on the reheat
> equipment to be what you need. Hell, I guess you could strap it shut
> tight and warm it up in the dishwasher if absolutely desperate.

I can imagine the looks you'd get in the airport
security line with a Ziploc tub of Q, tied up with
zip-ties.

;-)

Dana

Monroe, of course...