Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornstarch secrets

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 3:35:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell? The way she was describing
> it,
> it didn't seem like shell, just something very light and crispy with a
> lovely flavour

I don't eat the shell. This is a messy way to eat shrimp but it's our way.
We learned to cook shrimp this way from the Chinese. The crispy shell is
still shrimp shell but the advantage of eating the shell is that it's a less
messy, faster, and tastier.

There's probably some danger in eating shrimp shell but my guess is that
it's going to be trending. A little danger is not going to stop the younger
generation.
==

Never! The young like to take risks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
Some here claim they do but if it's true,
they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.

Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
don't eat the darn shells.

If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
use for something else.
==

Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
worry, but thanks)

btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before The
next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Druce" wrote in message
>
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:04:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> No, it's not. It's very common. There's a lot of flavour in the shell.

>>> So Hawaiians eat nice shrimp and we all eat rubbery fried shrimp. The
>>> bullshit never stops.

>>I like them fried in the shell.

> Me too, it's extra flavour, but I find it does make for a messy
> dinner.
>
> ==
>
> Do you eat the shell?

I do when I make them that way.

Cheri

==

ehhh you're a brave woman <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:38:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:04:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> No, it's not. It's very common. There's a lot of flavour in the shell.

>>> So Hawaiians eat nice shrimp and we all eat rubbery fried shrimp. The
>>> bullshit never stops.

>>I like them fried in the shell.

>Me too, it's extra flavour, but I find it does make for a messy
>dinner.
>
>==
>
>Do you eat the shell?

No, I'll have to disassemble them on the plate.

==

So would I!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:37:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>
>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>don't eat the darn shells.
>
>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>use for something else.
>==
>
>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>worry, but thanks)
>
>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before The
>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 1:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote in reply to dsi1:
> There's probably some danger in eating shrimp shell but my guess is
> that it's going to be trending. A little danger is not going to stop
> the younger generation.

Piggybacking, sorry, Dave.

I wish he'd stop saying he knows what food is "trending".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:31:10 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/19/2018 1:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote in reply to dsi1:
>> There's probably some danger in eating shrimp shell but my guess is
>> that it's going to be trending. A little danger is not going to stop
>> the younger generation.

>Piggybacking, sorry, Dave.
>
>I wish he'd stop saying he knows what food is "trending".

Lol. He also knows what the "kids" (40 year olds) like. And what
Americans eat. And what Americans don't eat. And what the future will
bring. We're priviliged to have him in this newsgroup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 12:55 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:01:52 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

>>> You're right about B&G. That wants a flour-based gravy. I use
>>> a cornstarch slurry for turkey and chicken gravies. We just
>>> prefer it that way.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Add some beef gravies and stews, too.

> I don't do an awful lot with beef gravy. After sauteeing the mirepoix
> for stew or pot roast I add a couple of tablespoons of flour to thicken
> the gravy, but not very much.
>
> For other beef roasts, we never get enough dripping for gravy. The
> juices pretty much stay in the meat.
>
>> I would never attempt making sausage gravy with cornstarch. It requires
>> a roux of flour, butter and milk. Not the same thing at all.
>>
>> Jill

> I thought the roux was formed with the sausage grease.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I stand corrected. I don't make sausage gravy often but the point is it
is fat combined with flour. Cornstarch doesn't work well in that
application.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

> You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
> Some here claim they do but if it's true,
> they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>
> Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
> have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
> don't eat the darn shells.
>
> If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
> use for something else.

I eat the shells when I FRY them, very good, crisp and tasty. I don't make
them that way as often anymore because I'm not into frying as much these
days. Why would anyone lie about it? I even posted a recipe for you from
America's Test Kitchen the last time this came up. Don't knock it if you
haven't tried it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:45:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Druce" wrote in message

>>> Me too, it's extra flavour, but I find it does make for a messy
>>> dinner.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Do you eat the shell?

>>I do when I make them that way.

> You must have a different kind of shrimp than we have here. I couldn't
> imagine chewing the shell.

They're not huge shrimp, but not the tiniest either. We all had this
conversation last year, and the same holds true now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:00:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Depends on the size. We used to eat them with the shell on, but then,
>>> they were very small.

>>Very true. Really small shrimp have thin shells. Some larger shrimp have
>>thin, flimsy shells, but when you get the big tiger shrimps you would
>>not want to even try to bite those suckers.

> Those are what we have a lot he tiger prawns. The shell isn't
> edible.

No, I would not use huge shrimp for it either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Druce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:04:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Druce" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 16:18:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >

>>>I like them fried in the shell.

>> Me too, it's extra flavour, but I find it does make for a messy
>> dinner.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Do you eat the shell?

> I do when I make them that way.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> ehhh you're a brave woman <g>

Nothing brave about it, they're very good. <g>

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:19:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:45:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I do when I make them that way.

>> You must have a different kind of shrimp than we have here. I couldn't
>> imagine chewing the shell.

>They're not huge shrimp, but not the tiniest either. We all had this
>conversation last year, and the same holds true now.

I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:19:50 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:00:05 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>Very true. Really small shrimp have thin shells. Some larger shrimp have
>>>thin, flimsy shells, but when you get the big tiger shrimps you would
>>>not want to even try to bite those suckers.

>> Those are what we have a lot he tiger prawns. The shell isn't
>> edible.

>No, I would not use huge shrimp for it either.

I have had soft shell crab. That's very nice. I guess with the right
kind of shrimp it's similar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:19:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You must have a different kind of shrimp than we have here. I couldn't
>>> imagine chewing the shell.

>>They're not huge shrimp, but not the tiniest either. We all had this
>>conversation last year, and the same holds true now.

> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
as now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:31:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:19:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>They're not huge shrimp, but not the tiniest either. We all had this
>>>conversation last year, and the same holds true now.

>> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

>If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
>recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
>as now.

Maybe I missed that whole thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:31:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

>>If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
>>recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
>>as now.

> Maybe I missed that whole thread.

You didn't miss much.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>
>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>don't eat the darn shells.
>
>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>use for something else.
>==
>
>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>worry, but thanks)
>
>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
>The
>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.

===

We certainly do Here is a recipe for cooking Scottish ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMY84-g8LPw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:19:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>They're not huge shrimp, but not the tiniest either. We all had this
>>>conversation last year, and the same holds true now.

>> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

>If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
>recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
>as now.

Maybe I missed that whole thread.
==

If Cheri says she did .... She did!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:59:28 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:31:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

>>If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
>>recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
>>as now.

>Maybe I missed that whole thread.
>==
>
>If Cheri says she did .... She did!!

I wasn't denying it at all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:48:59 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:37:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

>>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>>
>>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>>don't eat the darn shells.
>>
>>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>>use for something else.
>>==
>>
>>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>>worry, but thanks)
>>
>>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
>>The
>>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

>Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
>English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.
>
>===
>
>We certainly do Here is a recipe for cooking Scottish ones:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMY84-g8LPw

Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
bugs:
<http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:31:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I don't remember you saying you ate the shells, but if you say so.

>>If you remember anything about it, you would remember that I posted the
>>recipe at the time for Gary. It was pretty much the same conversation then
>>as now.

>Maybe I missed that whole thread.
>==
>
>If Cheri says she did .... She did!!

I wasn't denying it at all

==

H! Better not ... innit? ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:37:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> They look wonderful! Do you eat the shell?

>>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>>
>>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>>don't eat the darn shells.
>>
>>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>>use for something else.
>>==
>>
>>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>>worry, but thanks)
>>
>>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
>>The
>>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

>Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
>English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.
>
>===
>
>We certainly do Here is a recipe for cooking Scottish ones:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMY84-g8LPw

Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
bugs:
<http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>

==

Are they like crabs?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:48:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:48:59 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:37:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>>>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>>>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>>>
>>>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>>>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>>>don't eat the darn shells.
>>>
>>>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>>>use for something else.
>>>==
>>>
>>>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>>>worry, but thanks)
>>>
>>>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
>>>The
>>>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

>>Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
>>English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.
>>
>>===
>>
>>We certainly do Here is a recipe for cooking Scottish ones:
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMY84-g8LPw

>Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
>bugs:
><http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>
>
>==
>
>Are they like crabs?

I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
couldn't tell the two apart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:48:59 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:37:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>You don't eat shrimp shells. No! Nasty and tacky.
>>>Some here claim they do but if it's true,
>>>they must also eat banana peals and egg shells.
>>>
>>>Best to cook shrimp in the shells as they
>>>have a lot of flavor but once cooked, you
>>>don't eat the darn shells.
>>>
>>>If you cook them in plain water, you have a good seafood broth to
>>>use for something else.
>>>==
>>>
>>>Ok I only use frozen ones that are already shelled, so I don't have
>>>worry, but thanks)
>>>
>>>btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
>>>The
>>>next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

>>Do you have access to langoustines? Or are they called differently in
>>English? I also wonder if Americans have acces to them.
>>
>>===
>>
>>We certainly do Here is a recipe for cooking Scottish ones:
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMY84-g8LPw

>Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
>bugs:
><http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>
>
>==
>
>Are they like crabs?

I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
couldn't tell the two apart.

==

Ok they look quite large or maybe that is just the camera shot.

Bugs eh? That would put me right off ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 21:14:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:48:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
>>bugs:
>><http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>
>>
>>==
>>
>>Are they like crabs?

>I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
>couldn't tell the two apart.
>
>==
>
>Ok they look quite large or maybe that is just the camera shot.
>
>Bugs eh? That would put me right off ...

What's in a name? There's not too much meat to them, by the way,
because only the tails are edible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:48:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>Very nice. I don't think we have them here, but we do have Balmain
>>bugs:
>><http://www.claudiosseafood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-27-at-11.42.55-am-702x336.png>
>>
>>==
>>
>>Are they like crabs?

>I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
>couldn't tell the two apart.
>
>==
>
>Ok they look quite large or maybe that is just the camera shot.
>
>Bugs eh? That would put me right off ...

What's in a name? There's not too much meat to them, by the way,
because only the tails are edible.

===

What's in a name??? I can think of a few names that would convince me never
to eat something!! No, I will not be posting them. I am sure you have a
pretty good imagination

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:01:40 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 21:14:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
>>couldn't tell the two apart.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ok they look quite large or maybe that is just the camera shot.
>>
>>Bugs eh? That would put me right off ...

>What's in a name? There's not too much meat to them, by the way,
>because only the tails are edible.
>
>===
>
>What's in a name??? I can think of a few names that would convince me never
>to eat something!! No, I will not be posting them. I am sure you have a
>pretty good imagination

Deep-fried grasshoppers? Cow's tongue? I can't really think of
anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 21:14:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Druce" wrote in message
. ..

>>I think more like prawn. There are also Moreton Bay bugs but I
>>couldn't tell the two apart.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ok they look quite large or maybe that is just the camera shot.
>>
>>Bugs eh? That would put me right off ...

>What's in a name? There's not too much meat to them, by the way,
>because only the tails are edible.
>
>===
>
>What's in a name??? I can think of a few names that would convince me
>never
>to eat something!! No, I will not be posting them. I am sure you have a
>pretty good imagination

Deep-fried grasshoppers? Cow's tongue? I can't really think of
anything.

==

No, it is difficult, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp secrets

This post is dedicated to those here that always wish for more
cooking and food-related posts. Enjoy.

Ophelia wrote:

> btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before The
> next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

Speaking of shrimp size. I've heard many chefs say how the
smaller the shrimp, the stronger the taste. I've noticed that
myself. For that reason, I always buy shrimp that's 31-40 count
or 41-50 count which is still fine for me to peel and eat. The
count means how many shrimp per pound.

I always cook shrimp with shells on then peel and eat at the
table. Heads stay on too but I only get those with local fresh
shrimp now. I usually buy frozen in 2-bags when on sale.

I used to steam them but learned later to do a shallow "shrimp
boil." This gets all the spicy flavor right into the shrimp for a
very tasty meal.

My method that is so spicy and good (also popular here at the
beach) is:

- about an inch of liquid in saucepan
(ratio is 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar)
- add 1 tsp salt and lots of Old Bay Seasoning
(maybe 1-2 TBS)
- bring to a boil then add shrimp and give a quick stir
- only a bit of shrimp will be under the liquid...most
will be above and getting steamed.
- cover with lid and cook only 2-3 minutes but open and
stir every 30 seconds to mix it all up again.

I say 2-3 minutes but once the shells turn pink, they are done.

Serve with shells still on. Everyone peels and eats at the table.
Always have an empty bowl for the peels available.

I used to make a good cocktail sauce to accompany this but lately
I quit. The steamed spicy shrimp is so darn delicious, I rarely
dipped in the sauce. Once you dip shrimp into a cocktail sauce,
that's the only thing you taste.

"And that's all I have to say about that." :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Druce wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote:
> >No, I would not use huge shrimp for it either.

The small shrimp shells are like cellophane and I suppose they
would crisp up when deep fried. I've never had them though. Fried
shrimp to me is peeled and breaded then fried with tails still
left on. Tails are a good way to hold them and are thin and crisp
so they could be eaten.

> I have had soft shell crab. That's very nice. I guess with the right
> kind of shrimp it's similar.

True soft shell crab is to die for. Must be killed within minutes
after they finally back out of old shell because the new skin
immediately starts to harden.
For soft shell, just remove the lung things from each side then
fry (usually in butter in a pan). Most restaurants, including my
nearby Beach Pub, will serve them on a soft bun with the legs
hanging out. I love the look...like a giant spider sandwich.

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> btw to us, shrimp is tiny! I had never heard of such big ones before
> The
> next size up we call prawns and as they get bigger, other names too

Speaking of shrimp size. I've heard many chefs say how the
smaller the shrimp, the stronger the taste. I've noticed that
myself. For that reason, I always buy shrimp that's 31-40 count
or 41-50 count which is still fine for me to peel and eat. The
count means how many shrimp per pound.

I always cook shrimp with shells on then peel and eat at the
table. Heads stay on too but I only get those with local fresh
shrimp now. I usually buy frozen in 2-bags when on sale.

I used to steam them but learned later to do a shallow "shrimp
boil." This gets all the spicy flavor right into the shrimp for a
very tasty meal.

My method that is so spicy and good (also popular here at the
beach) is:

- about an inch of liquid in saucepan
(ratio is 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar)
- add 1 tsp salt and lots of Old Bay Seasoning
(maybe 1-2 TBS)
- bring to a boil then add shrimp and give a quick stir
- only a bit of shrimp will be under the liquid...most
will be above and getting steamed.
- cover with lid and cook only 2-3 minutes but open and
stir every 30 seconds to mix it all up again.

I say 2-3 minutes but once the shells turn pink, they are done.

Serve with shells still on. Everyone peels and eats at the table.
Always have an empty bowl for the peels available.

I used to make a good cocktail sauce to accompany this but lately
I quit. The steamed spicy shrimp is so darn delicious, I rarely
dipped in the sauce. Once you dip shrimp into a cocktail sauce,
that's the only thing you taste.

"And that's all I have to say about that." :-D

==

Interesting stuff! Thanks Thanks too for explaining the 'count' I never
knew that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-22 11:45 AM, Gary wrote:

> Speaking of shrimp size. I've heard many chefs say how the
> smaller the shrimp, the stronger the taste. I've noticed that
> myself. For that reason, I always buy shrimp that's 31-40 count
> or 41-50 count which is still fine for me to peel and eat. The
> count means how many shrimp per pound.

I have never heard that and my person experience is the opposite. Larger
shrimp taste better.

> I always cook shrimp with shells on then peel and eat at the
> table. Heads stay on too but I only get those with local fresh
> shrimp now. I usually buy frozen in 2-bags when on sale.
>
> I used to steam them but learned later to do a shallow "shrimp
> boil." This gets all the spicy flavor right into the shrimp for a
> very tasty meal.

Shrimp boils usually leave them in the boiling water long past the
point where they are cooked. They may pick up a little flavour from the
shell but overcooking them turns them into rubber.

> My method that is so spicy and good (also popular here at the
> beach) is:
>
> - about an inch of liquid in saucepan
> (ratio is 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar)
> - add 1 tsp salt and lots of Old Bay Seasoning
> (maybe 1-2 TBS)
> - bring to a boil then add shrimp and give a quick stir
> - only a bit of shrimp will be under the liquid...most
> will be above and getting steamed.
> - cover with lid and cook only 2-3 minutes but open and
> stir every 30 seconds to mix it all up again.
>
> I say 2-3 minutes but once the shells turn pink, they are done.
>
> Serve with shells still on. Everyone peels and eats at the table.
> Always have an empty bowl for the peels available.

My preferred methods involve either sauteing with plenty of garlic and
some hot sauce or grilling them in the BBQ.... again with lots of garlic
and some heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:27:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:01:41 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> You're right about B&G. That wants a flour-based gravy. I use
>>> a cornstarch slurry for turkey and chicken gravies. We just
>>> prefer it that way.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>Add some beef gravies and stews, too. I've been using a cornstarch
>>slurry to thicken gravies for decades. Some things are better with
>>flour, sure. But for really smooth gravies cornstarch is perfect. Some
>>people use arrowroot - same results but arrowroot is much more
>>expensive. The difference is the cornstarch dissolves completely.
>>
>>I would never attempt making sausage gravy with cornstarch. It requires
>>a roux of flour, butter and milk. Not the same thing at all.
>>
>>Jill

>for the kind of gravy that you put over your fried chicken, chicken
>fried steak, etc., IMO, you need to make the flour type gravy where
>the flour is browned in the pan fond. But stews, soups, stir fry,
>things like that, the corn starch slurry does best. It's a flavor and
>mouth feel thing.
>Janet US

Fly lice gravy is made with cornstarch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:27:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:01:41 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cor...ce-crispy-meat

>>> Add some beef gravies and stews, too. I've been using a cornstarch
>>> slurry to thicken gravies for decades. Some things are better with
>>> flour, sure. But for really smooth gravies cornstarch is perfect. Some
>>> people use arrowroot - same results but arrowroot is much more
>>> expensive. The difference is the cornstarch dissolves completely.
>>>
>>> I would never attempt making sausage gravy with cornstarch. It requires
>>> a roux of flour, butter and milk. Not the same thing at all.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> for the kind of gravy that you put over your fried chicken, chicken
>> fried steak, etc., IMO, you need to make the flour type gravy where
>> the flour is browned in the pan fond. But stews, soups, stir fry,
>> things like that, the corn starch slurry does best. It's a flavor and
>> mouth feel thing.
>> Janet US

> Fly lice gravy is made with cornstarch

Popeye, do yoose get the flies and lice off Kathy's snatch to make yoose
gravy?

Have yoose ever tried substituting just the maggots for those flies?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 5:39:10 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:27:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:01:41 -0400, jmcquown >
> >wrote:

> >>Add some beef gravies and stews, too. I've been using a cornstarch
> >>slurry to thicken gravies for decades. Some things are better with
> >>flour, sure. But for really smooth gravies cornstarch is perfect. Some
> >>people use arrowroot - same results but arrowroot is much more
> >>expensive. The difference is the cornstarch dissolves completely.
> >>
> >>I would never attempt making sausage gravy with cornstarch. It requires
> >>a roux of flour, butter and milk. Not the same thing at all.
> >>
> >>Jill

> >for the kind of gravy that you put over your fried chicken, chicken
> >fried steak, etc., IMO, you need to make the flour type gravy where
> >the flour is browned in the pan fond. But stews, soups, stir fry,
> >things like that, the corn starch slurry does best. It's a flavor and
> >mouth feel thing.
> >Janet US

> Fly lice gravy is made with cornstarch

I've never seen gravy with fried rice. Is that some sort of East Coast
thing? Can you post a picture?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 03:15:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 5:39:10 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:27:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>> >for the kind of gravy that you put over your fried chicken, chicken
>> >fried steak, etc., IMO, you need to make the flour type gravy where
>> >the flour is browned in the pan fond. But stews, soups, stir fry,
>> >things like that, the corn starch slurry does best. It's a flavor and
>> >mouth feel thing.
>> >Janet US

>> Fly lice gravy is made with cornstarch

>I've never seen gravy with fried rice. Is that some sort of East Coast
>thing? Can you post a picture?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

At Chinese restaurants I almost always order the house special fried
rice with an order of lobster sauce, even for take-out... I find it a
very satisfying combo... fried rice is too labor intensive to prepare
at home.
I don't know if others like it, it's my kind of thing.
Chinese restaurants always have a big batch of fried rice at the ready
and lobster sauce cooks up quickly... of course it contains no
lobster, just ground pork. I sometimes prepare lobster sauce at home
but rarely do I prepare fly lice, I don't think it's worth the
effort... we rarely have left over cooked rice in the fridge unless
it's rice and beans or Spanish rice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_sauce
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...r-sauce-323257
Use freshly ground white pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 10:34:20 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I don't know if others like it, it's my kind of thing.
> Chinese restaurants always have a big batch of fried rice at the ready
> and lobster sauce cooks up quickly... of course it contains no
> lobster, just ground pork. I sometimes prepare lobster sauce at home
> but rarely do I prepare fly lice, I don't think it's worth the
> effort... we rarely have left over cooked rice in the fridge unless
> it's rice and beans or Spanish rice.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_sauce
> https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...r-sauce-323257
> Use freshly ground white pepper.

I can honestly say I've never seen 'lobster sauce' in any of the Chinese
restaurants I've been to. Those pictures are stomach churning to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:09:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 10:34:20 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if others like it, it's my kind of thing.
>> Chinese restaurants always have a big batch of fried rice at the ready
>> and lobster sauce cooks up quickly... of course it contains no
>> lobster, just ground pork. I sometimes prepare lobster sauce at home
>> but rarely do I prepare fly lice, I don't think it's worth the
>> effort... we rarely have left over cooked rice in the fridge unless
>> it's rice and beans or Spanish rice.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_sauce
>> https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...r-sauce-323257
>> Use freshly ground white pepper.
>>

>I can honestly say I've never seen 'lobster sauce' in any of the Chinese
>restaurants I've been to. Those pictures are stomach churning to me.

I don't see what's stomach churning about it. But it is strange to use
sherry in a traditional Chinese recipe, in this age of availability.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 5:09:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 10:34:20 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if others like it, it's my kind of thing.
> > Chinese restaurants always have a big batch of fried rice at the ready
> > and lobster sauce cooks up quickly... of course it contains no
> > lobster, just ground pork. I sometimes prepare lobster sauce at home
> > but rarely do I prepare fly lice, I don't think it's worth the
> > effort... we rarely have left over cooked rice in the fridge unless
> > it's rice and beans or Spanish rice.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_sauce
> > https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...r-sauce-323257
> > Use freshly ground white pepper.
> >

> I can honestly say I've never seen 'lobster sauce' in any of the Chinese
> restaurants I've been to. Those pictures are stomach churning to me.

I've seen it on the menu from time to time. I can't fathom eating it
on fried rice, which is more than greasy enough.

Cindy Hamilton