Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jackfruit

Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
Never tried it.
What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:02:03 -0700 (PDT), RichD
> wrote:

>Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
>Never tried it.
>What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?

Green or ripe? You can get it canned either way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 2:02:07 PM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
> Never tried it.
> What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?
>
> --
> Rich

You can put it in a bowl and eat it. A better option would be to buy a can/bottle of halo-halo mix. That will have a whole bunch of stuff you probably never tried. Stuff like palm fruit, jackfruit, coconut jell, and various beans. It's a freaking adventure in a can!

https://astreetcarnameddevour.files....nnamed-131.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote:
> Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
> Never tried it.
> What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?
>
> --
> Rich

I like it fried like chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> You can put it in a bowl and eat it. A better option would be to buy a can/bottle of halo-halo mix. That will have a whole bunch of stuff you probably never tried. Stuff like palm fruit, jackfruit, coconut jell, and various beans. It's a freaking adventure in a can!
>
> https://astreetcarnameddevour.files....nnamed-131.jpg

i doubt anyone carries anything like that around here
and i'm not much of a shopper but someday perhaps i'll
stumble across some and will give it a try.

(kinda sounds like Hawaiin/Indonesian fruit head
cheese )

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 12:42:20 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>> You can put it in a bowl and eat it. A better option would be to buy a can/bottle of halo-halo mix. That will have a whole bunch of stuff you probably never tried. Stuff like palm fruit, jackfruit, coconut jell, and various beans. It's a freaking adventure in a can!
>>
>> https://astreetcarnameddevour.files....nnamed-131.jpg

> i doubt anyone carries anything like that around here
>and i'm not much of a shopper but someday perhaps i'll
>stumble across some and will give it a try.
>
> (kinda sounds like Hawaiin/Indonesian fruit head
>cheese )
>
> songbird

You could always buy a large can of Hawiaain Punch. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 7:51:42 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:

> i doubt anyone carries anything like that around here
> and i'm not much of a shopper but someday perhaps i'll
> stumble across some and will give it a try.
>
> (kinda sounds like Hawaiin/Indonesian fruit head
> cheese )
>

> songbird

If you have a sizable Filipino population in your area, you might find halo-halo mix in the market.

My daughter got one of these. I've never had one. It looks like a fireball.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...RWm9H4A0AmPJFv
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 7:51:42 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:

> i doubt anyone carries anything like that around here
> and i'm not much of a shopper but someday perhaps i'll
> stumble across some and will give it a try.
>
> (kinda sounds like Hawaiin/Indonesian fruit head
> cheese )
>

> songbird

If you have a sizable Filipino population in your area, you might find
halo-halo mix in the market.

My daughter got one of these. I've never had one. It looks like a fireball.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...RWm9H4A0AmPJFv

==

What does it taste like? Is it similar to anything I might know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> If you have a sizable Filipino population in your area, you might find halo-halo mix in the market.

not that i know of. we are out a ways from the bigger
cities here.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On August 7, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
>> Never tried it.
>> What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?

> Green or ripe? You can get it canned either way.

Green. Does it matter?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> What does it taste like? Is it similar to anything I might know?

I've never had dragonfruit before. I'll let you know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:51:13 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:

> not that i know of. we are out a ways from the bigger
> cities here.
>

> songbird

I've had a bottle of halo-halo mix in my fridge for about a year. It was time to dig it out and open it up. I put the mix on some shave ice with condensed milk. There was jackfruit, sugar palm fruit, nata de coco, and beans. Tasty!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...853FrwsZtuOnuG
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> What does it taste like? Is it similar to anything I might know?

I've never had dragonfruit before. I'll let you know.

==

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2018 1:39 AM, RichD wrote:
> On August 7, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
>>> Never tried it.
>>> What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?

>> Green or ripe? You can get it canned either way.

> Green. Does it matter?
>
> --
> Rich

I looked up canned jackfruit. The internet is chock full of *vegan*
recipes using canned green and/or canned ripe jackfruit. None of it
sounds terribly adventurous or interesting. YMMV.

Have you even tasted it? You can always open the can, taste the fruit
then put the rest in a storage container in the refrigerator until you
decide what to do with it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 2:02:07 PM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> Saw a can of jackfruit at the store yesterday.
> Never tried it.
> What to do with it, if I feel adventurous?
>
> --
> Rich

I cooked up some breadfruit yesterday. Breadfruit is in the same family as jackfruit and can be used in the same way. I made a sweet/spicy dish with it. The breadfruit yields a lot of product so I have to figure out what to do with the rest. I could make a curry type dish or perhaps a cheesy breadfruit pie. The amazing thing is that just one of these fruits could feed a single hungry Samoan.