Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Default Jackfruit Find!

While out-and-about dining in San Jose today, I stumbled upon a
fruit vendor selling these monsters!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JackfruitLift.JPG

Unable to resist, I purchased one of the "smaller" sizes!
Sweetness'! Even the smaller one was 18 lbs! It's delicious,
though! The daughter-units (and three friends) are digging in
and going to town on the thing!

Did I mention they're delicious?!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> While out-and-about dining in San Jose today, I stumbled upon a
> fruit vendor selling these monsters!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JackfruitLift.JPG
>
> Unable to resist, I purchased one of the "smaller" sizes!
> Sweetness'! Even the smaller one was 18 lbs! It's delicious,
> though! The daughter-units (and three friends) are digging in
> and going to town on the thing!
>
> Did I mention they're delicious?!
>
> The Ranger

They are delicious. One of my fondest memories of trips to Thailand is
the street vendors selling bags of Jackfruit for one baht. This was when
20 baht was one US dollar. Thanks for reminding me.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> While out-and-about dining in San Jose today, I
>> stumbled upon a fruit vendor selling these monsters!
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JackfruitLift.JPG
>>
>> Unable to resist, I purchased one of the "smaller" sizes!
>> Sweetness'! Even the smaller one was 18 lbs! It's
>> delicious, though! The daughter-units (and three friends)
>> are digging in and going to town on the thing!
>>
>> Did I mention they're delicious?!
>>

> They are delicious. One of my fondest memories of trips
> to Thailand is the street vendors selling bags of Jackfruit
> for one baht. This was when 20 baht was one US dollar.
> Thanks for reminding me.

This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at reasonable
prices. I was told she was also selling durian but my nose said
different.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

>This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
>mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at reasonable
>prices.

Any rambutans?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:18:47 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>George Shirley > wrote in message
.. .
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>> While out-and-about dining in San Jose today, I
>>> stumbled upon a fruit vendor selling these monsters!
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JackfruitLift.JPG
>>>
>>> Unable to resist, I purchased one of the "smaller" sizes!
>>> Sweetness'! Even the smaller one was 18 lbs! It's
>>> delicious, though! The daughter-units (and three friends)
>>> are digging in and going to town on the thing!
>>>
>>> Did I mention they're delicious?!
>>>

>> They are delicious. One of my fondest memories of trips
>> to Thailand is the street vendors selling bags of Jackfruit
>> for one baht. This was when 20 baht was one US dollar.
>> Thanks for reminding me.

>This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
>mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at reasonable
>prices. I was told she was also selling durian but my nose said
>different.
>
>The Ranger

I love good Jack Fruit too, boiled, peeled and dipped in butter. BUT
beware all Jack Fruit is not the same. We had one growing on our farm
and had to cut it down, after my excitement at finding it, because it
tasted nasty. As a kid I remember my mother getting Jack Fruit from
only a particular tree. Oh that was a yummy one! Your vendor
obviously had the right kind.

with aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> The Ranger > wrote:
>
> >This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
> >mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at
> >reasonable prices.

> Any rambutans?

I've purchased fresh rambutans at Trader Joe's,
but I think rambutan season ended months ago.

I've also had their freeze-dried rambutans.
Those are like candy. Ate the whole bag
in a few minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote in message
[snip]
> Any rambutans?

Not that I saw but, to be honest, the jackfruit literally
_wowed_ me to almost missing the others.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> Steve Pope > wrote in message
> [snip]
> > Any rambutans?

> Not that I saw but, to be honest, the jackfruit literally
> _wowed_ me to almost missing the others.

Where was this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> Steve Pope > wrote in message
>> [snip]
>> > Any rambutans?

>> Not that I saw but, to be honest, the jackfruit literally
>> _wowed_ me to almost missing the others.

> Where was this?

740 Story Road
San José

She was set-up along the sidewalk between two businesses in
that particular stripmall so I'm not sure if she had a permit
or not, let alone whether she's a regular there.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote in message
> >
> > Where was this?

> 740 Story Road
> San José
>
> She was set-up along the sidewalk between two businesses in
> that particular stripmall so I'm not sure if she had a permit
> or not, let alone whether she's a regular there.

Not a very good part of town.

What were you doing there?
Buying crack? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Any rambutans?

>I've purchased fresh rambutans at Trader Joe's,
>but I think rambutan season ended months ago.
>
>I've also had their freeze-dried rambutans.
>Those are like candy. Ate the whole bag
>in a few minutes.

Thanks, I'll have to look for them there.

I learned at some point that the central seed of a
rambutan is not just a pit, but is edible and
nutritious.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 5:31 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>
> > Mark Thorson > wrote in message

> > > Where was this?

> > 740 Story Road
> > San José

> > She was set-up along the sidewalk between two businesses in
> > that particular stripmall so I'm not sure if she had a permit
> > or not, let alone whether she's a regular there.

> Not a very good part of town.
>
> What were you doing there?
> Buying crack? :-)

You a Revenuer?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in message
>> mangosteens
>>

> Are they legal to sell in the US now?

"Legal."

Uhm.

Maybe. (Crack ain't the only thing available in that part of
town...)

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Michael "Dog3" > wrote in message
. ..
> "The Ranger" >
> ndwidth: in
> rec.food.cooking

>> While out-and-about dining in San Jose today, I
>> stumbled upon a fruit vendor selling these monsters!
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JackfruitLift.JPG
>>
>> Unable to resist, I purchased one of the "smaller" sizes!
>> Sweetness'! Even the smaller one was 18 lbs! It's delicious,
>> though! The daughter-units (and three friends) are digging
>> in and going to town on the thing!
>>
>> Did I mention they're delicious?!
>>

> Good Gawd that thing is huge. Are you just splitting it
> and eating it? I've never seen one before. Thanks for
> sharing.

I only bought a <-than half "gourd" and it was still too large!
Think "watermelon" sized (a super-7-11-sized) lychee and you'll
still fall short of reality!

When this vendor-lady picked it up and "dropped" it down to cut
it up, I thought the sidewalk shook! I immediately knew it was
my over-active imagination. Then I picked it up. I knew then
what I'd felt was real.

My interpreter-friend warned, "Watch out for the sap. It's
super sticky." She wasn't lying! The damned stuff could be used
as a water-proof glue for wood! It looks just like Elmer's
All-Weather Wood Glue; it's not water-soluble! I have stripped
pulp and white sap across a 10' area in my kitchen from tearing
out the persimmon-shaped pulp! I'm hoping my Kenmore
dishwasher's tempered water will cleanse the knife and bowls
clean. If not, I see a lot of "hand washing" in my future...
<sigh>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

> This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
> mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at reasonable
> prices.

You mean she was selling mangosteens and you lacked the gumption to buy
'em and instead bought something else?! The Cabal (TINC) is likely to
arrange to cull you as being excessively weird. You've been warned.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Okay, if I see one today, I'll give it a shot. I'd better like it,
>> ha, or you're in trouble.

> Trouble...that's my middle name...unless you are talking to my ex
> then it is something ending in hole.

Well, I have a few choice words for her, myself.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote in message
. ..
> The Ranger > wrote:

>> This particular street vendor was also selling lychees,
>> mangosteens, nectarines, and Philippine mangos at
>> reasonable prices.
>>

> You mean she was selling mangosteens and you lacked
> the gumption to buy 'em and instead bought something
> else?! The Cabal (TINC) is likely to arrange to cull you
> as being excessively weird. You've been warned.

I was warned away from them on two counts: cost (the
interpreter literally jumped when quoted the price per pound
and asked again) and scent (or their lack of). Otherwise, I
might have purchased one maybe two.

How do you eat them? I've never heard of them prior...

BTW: I under the impression weird was a required quality for
membership in The Cabal (TINC)?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:

>> Mangosteens? Yes you want to try one....called the queen of fruit I
>> believe...not sure which is the king of fruit.
>>
>> Frugal people call me cheap....and I'd buy one, hell I'd buy two!

> Okay, if I see one today, I'll give it a shot. I'd better like it,
> ha, or you're in trouble.

You're safe, I looked at the produce place and they did not
have mangosteens.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:27:37 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>hahabogus > wrote in message
>>> mangosteens
>>>

>> Are they legal to sell in the US now?

>"Legal."
>
>Uhm.
>
>Maybe. (Crack ain't the only thing available in that part of
>town...)
>
>The Ranger

and you a married man.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:27:37 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:

>>Maybe. (Crack ain't the only thing available in that part of
>>town...)
>>

> and you a married man.

Why you think we're still happy?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

[mangosteen]
> Do I want to try one if it costs me $2.49 for something a little smaller
> than a tennis ball?

It depends on whether you want to try something that, at the peak of its
ripeness, far surpasses nectar and ambrosia. $2.49 is crazy, though. A
mangosteen costs 99 euro-cents here right now. And do not even think of
converting this; the present rate of exchange bears little resemblance
to reality, i.e. the actual buying power in a given country. I once
said it about four years ago in the USA, when the rate was about 90 US
cents to the euro, and I'll say it again: the euro and the dollar are
actually roughly comparable.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

> Victor Sack > wrote
> >>

> > You mean she was selling mangosteens and you lacked
> > the gumption to buy 'em and instead bought something
> > else?! The Cabal (TINC) is likely to arrange to cull you
> > as being excessively weird. You've been warned.

> I was warned away from them on two counts: cost (the
> interpreter literally jumped when quoted the price per pound
> and asked again) and scent (or their lack of). Otherwise, I
> might have purchased one maybe two.

I strongly suspect that you may be misremembering the smell part.
Mangosteens have a fairly weak aroma which is very pleasant. Perhaps
your interpreter was referring to durians...

> How do you eat them? I've never heard of them prior...

They are small round fruit in a hard inedible shell, so must be peeled.
Peeling often presents problems, as the shell can be very hard. You
have to make a few longtitudinal cuts along the sphere, from one "pole"
to the other, taking care to cut only through the shell wall and not
through the whole fruit. You also have to take care to avoid cutting
yourself in the process. Once you make the cuts, prying apart the shell
parts should be easy. Once you have done this a few times, you'll get
the knack of doing it quickly and easily enough. Inside, you will find
a little soft white fruit, segmented somewhat in the manner of citrus,
with the segments not always easily separated. Many mangosteens have a
hard inedible core, but some do not. Compared to the size of the whole
fruit, you do not get much edible flesh at all, but what you do get is
considered by many to be unsurpassed by anything else on this planet.

Mangosteens keep fairly well. I tend to keep them in the refrigerator,
but only because I happen to like them cold. Considering that they both
keep well and are protected by their hard shell, they are eminently
suitable for transport. If more of them were imported, the price would
surely be much lower.

> BTW: I under the impression weird was a required quality for
> membership in The Cabal (TINC)?

Not *that* weird. The rumour has it, the Cabal (TINC) members (TANM)
eat weird things; they do not avoid them. According to the same rumour,
at least one the members (TANM) even eats peanut butter!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:

>It depends on whether you want to try something that, at the peak of its
>ripeness, far surpasses nectar and ambrosia.

Ambrosia?

Is that something I can buy somewhere?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:02:36 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>blake murphy > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:27:37 -0700, "The Ranger"
>> > wrote:

>>>Maybe. (Crack ain't the only thing available in that part of
>>>town...)
>>>

>> and you a married man.
>>

>Why you think we're still happy?
>
>The Ranger

what part of town does she go to?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:02:36 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>>blake murphy > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:27:37 -0700, "The Ranger"

>>> and you a married man.
>>>

>> Why you think we're still happy?
>>

> what part of town does she go to?

The part with "day spas" and burly masseuses.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:

> Victor Sack > wrote:
>
> >It depends on whether you want to try something that, at the peak of its
> >ripeness, far surpasses nectar and ambrosia.

> Ambrosia?
>
> Is that something I can buy somewhere?

It depends on your status on Olympus... or in the Cabal (TINC)...

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 2:48 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> The Ranger > wrote:
> > Victor Sack > wrote

> > > You mean she was selling mangosteens and you lacked
> > > the gumption to buy 'em and instead bought something
> > > else?! The Cabal (TINC) is likely to arrange to cull you
> > > as being excessively weird. You've been warned.

> > I was warned away from them on two counts: cost (the
> > interpreter literally jumped when quoted the price per pound
> > and asked again) and scent (or their lack of). Otherwise, I
> > might have purchased one maybe two.

> I strongly suspect that you may be misremembering the smell part.
> Mangosteens have a fairly weak aroma which is very pleasant.
> Perhaps your interpreter was referring to durians...

Perhaps. My memory isn't as reliable as it once was nor are my
listening skills quite as acute.

[peeling and storing mangosteen lesson]

> > BTW: I under the impression weird was a required quality for
> > membership in The Cabal (TINC)?
> >

> Not *that* weird. The rumour has it, the Cabal (TINC)
> members (TANM) eat weird things; they do not avoid them.
> According to the same rumour, at least one the members
> (TANM) even eats peanut butter!

Then I'd be in like Flynn since I tend towards noshing on weird
things... But then, there is no Cabal (TINC) and therefore no members
(TINM) so I shouldn't worry...

(Payment was made.)

The Ranger