FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dinner tonight (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444155-dinner-tonight.html)

Gary 06-08-2018 07:38 PM

Dinner tonight

I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

dsi1[_17_] 06-08-2018 07:47 PM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

I was going to cook a pork butt on the stove yesterday but thought "what the heck, I'll just stick it in the rice cooker." I crammed 2 lbs of pork in my little cooker with some onions and a little water and flipped the switch.. That was about 19 hours ago. Hee hee.

[email protected][_2_] 06-08-2018 07:50 PM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 1:47:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

I was going to cook a pork butt on the stove yesterday but thought "what the heck, I'll just stick it in the rice cooker." I crammed 2 lbs of pork in my little cooker with some onions and a little water and flipped the switch. That was about 19 hours ago. Hee hee.

How did it turn out??

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

[email protected][_2_] 06-08-2018 07:53 PM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 1:37:43 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

I'm going with frozen meatballs cooked in the toaster oven and will
cook some spaghetti and heat up the last half of a jar of Newman's
Own sauce. Garlic Texas toast will accompany my quick dinner.

dsi1[_17_] 06-08-2018 07:56 PM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:50:24 AM UTC-10, wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 1:47:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

I was going to cook a pork butt on the stove yesterday but thought "what the heck, I'll just stick it in the rice cooker." I crammed 2 lbs of pork in my little cooker with some onions and a little water and flipped the switch. That was about 19 hours ago. Hee hee.

How did it turn out??

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

I'll let you know. I'm in bed and haven't gotten up yet. That's not good and I'm not a good person. To tell you the truth, I'm a little afraid to take a look. Sooner or later, I'll have to through... :)

Gary 06-08-2018 08:00 PM

Dinner tonight

dsi1 wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:50:24 AM UTC-10, wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 1:47:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

I was going to cook a pork butt on the stove yesterday but thought "what the heck, I'll just stick it in the rice cooker." I crammed 2 lbs of pork in my little cooker with some onions and a little water and flipped the switch. That was about 19 hours ago. Hee hee.

How did it turn out??

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

I'll let you know. I'm in bed and haven't gotten up yet. That's not good and I'm not a good person. To tell you the truth, I'm a little afraid to take a look. Sooner or later, I'll have to through... :)

I'll bet that tastes quite right!

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 06-08-2018 08:18 PM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 2:37:43 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

For us, it'll be grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast,
probably served on top of a Caesar-ish salad.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 06-08-2018 09:40 PM

Dinner tonight

dsi1 wrote:
Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

I was going to cook a pork butt on the stove yesterday but thought "what the heck, I'll just stick it in the rice cooker." I crammed 2 lbs of pork in my little cooker with some onions and a little water and flipped the switch. That was about 19 hours ago. Hee hee.

You'd have achieved the same results taking a healthy dump.

[email protected] 06-08-2018 09:47 PM

Dinner tonight

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

A Weber grill can be used as a smoker.
https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/e...s-on-my-grill-

[email protected][_2_] 07-08-2018 12:37 AM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 3:47:45 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

A Weber grill can be used as a smoker.
https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/e...s-on-my-grill-

I've used my 22 inch Weber several times to smoke pork butts. After a
2 hour smoke they are then finished in the oven at 300° for 3 hours. But
smoking in an upright smoker I think I'd like to try, but then maybe not.
The upright smoker would be an 8 to 10 hour completely outside job.

dsi1[_17_] 07-08-2018 05:50 AM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

I'll bet that tastes quite right!

It was cooking for 26 hours. The pork was quite sweet because the onions that were in there had completely caramelized. Fork tender? You bet! You can't mess up a pork butt. Or can you?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...bub8nAIuuObrjp

dsi1[_17_] 07-08-2018 06:00 AM

Dinner tonight

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 10:40:53 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

You'd have achieved the same results taking a healthy dump.

Your idea of cooking stinks - literally!

It's a poof of concept. The idea being that you don't need a stove or an oven to cook a pork butt. I can cook a lot of stuff with just a $14 rice cooker. I'm simply amazing.

[email protected] 07-08-2018 05:11 PM

Dinner tonight

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 21:50:31 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

I'll bet that tastes quite right!

It was cooking for 26 hours. The pork was quite sweet because the onions that were in there had completely caramelized. Fork tender? You bet! You can't mess up a pork butt. Or can you?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...bub8nAIuuObrjp

Why is about 1/3 of that plate devoid of any food, couldn't you center
it?

dsi1[_17_] 07-08-2018 06:05 PM

Dinner tonight

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 6:11:11 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Why is about 1/3 of that plate devoid of any food, couldn't you center
it?

As a matter of fact, I'm not going to center everything. I like to eat my food asymmetrically. I ate less than half of that plate so a smaller plate might have been better. Too bad, that's just what I grabbed.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-08-2018 11:25 PM

Dinner tonight

wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

I'll bet that tastes quite right!

It was cooking for 26 hours. The pork was quite sweet because the onions that were in there had completely caramelized. Fork tender? You bet! You can't mess up a pork butt. Or can you?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...bub8nAIuuObrjp

Why is about 1/3 of that plate devoid of any food, couldn't you center
it?

Popeye, do yoose suppose he threw some of it out of his window?