Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default S Viemeister and Ophelia

On 7/18/2018 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 7/17/2018 3:47 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 7/17/2018 7:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for the links!
>>>

>> that he worked in a mine helps, as it was likely that other men in his
>> family were also miners, which might help with census records, and if
>> he was a miner, he would most likely have lived within walking
>> distance of a mine. The National Library in Edinburgh has a marvelous
>> collection of period maps available on line, which can help you narrow
>> down possible 'George Browns' for further research - you can ignore
>> anyone who (based on maps of the time) could not have easily walked to
>> a mine.
>>

> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know how easy it would be to walk to a
> coal mine in the 1900's in Scotland.Â* I don't know if he moved to
> another village to work or if it was within walking distance of Twechar
> via Glasgow.Â* Seems like I'm looking for a little diamond in a huge pile
> of coal.
>
> I'll see if the National Library has some archives online to help.Â* As
> you say, the name is fairly common.Â* Thank you again.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Blimey! It takes about half an hour by car from Twecher to Glasgow!!
>
> The area you are talking about is very familiar to me.Â* I used to live
> in Lenzie which is next to Kirkintilloch

According to Wikipedia, Twechar is a mining village so I guess he didn't
have to walk far to get to work.

I have no idea how far a walk it would be from Twechar to Kirkintilloch.
Nor do I know how my grandfather met my grandmother. There's no one
left to ask but I'm not sure even my mother would have known that. I'm
guessing he lived close enough to find a way to court her.

Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
information. So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary. Maybe I should
start ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead.
<wink>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 7/18/2018 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 7/17/2018 3:47 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 7/17/2018 7:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for the links!
>>>

>> that he worked in a mine helps, as it was likely that other men in his
>> family were also miners, which might help with census records, and if
>> he was a miner, he would most likely have lived within walking
>> distance of a mine. The National Library in Edinburgh has a marvelous
>> collection of period maps available on line, which can help you narrow
>> down possible 'George Browns' for further research - you can ignore
>> anyone who (based on maps of the time) could not have easily walked to
>> a mine.
>>

> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know how easy it would be to walk to a
> coal mine in the 1900's in Scotland. I don't know if he moved to
> another village to work or if it was within walking distance of Twechar
> via Glasgow. Seems like I'm looking for a little diamond in a huge pile
> of coal.
>
> I'll see if the National Library has some archives online to help. As
> you say, the name is fairly common. Thank you again.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Blimey! It takes about half an hour by car from Twecher to Glasgow!!
>
> The area you are talking about is very familiar to me. I used to live
> in Lenzie which is next to Kirkintilloch

According to Wikipedia, Twechar is a mining village so I guess he didn't
have to walk far to get to work.

I have no idea how far a walk it would be from Twechar to Kirkintilloch.
Nor do I know how my grandfather met my grandmother. There's no one
left to ask but I'm not sure even my mother would have known that. I'm
guessing he lived close enough to find a way to court her.

Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
information. So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary. Maybe I should
start ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead.
<wink>

Jill

==

Ahh ok. I thought you said he had to walk from Twecher to Glasgow.

Twecher is right next to Kirkintilloch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 7/18/2018 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...

>>> that he worked in a mine helps, as it was likely that other men in
>>> his family were also miners, which might help with census records,
>>> and if he was a miner, he would most likely have lived within walking
>>> distance of a mine. The National Library in Edinburgh has a marvelous
>>> collection of period maps available on line, which can help you
>>> narrow down possible 'George Browns' for further research - you can
>>> ignore anyone who (based on maps of the time) could not have easily
>>> walked to a mine.
>>>

>> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know how easy it would be to walk to a
>> coal mine in the 1900's in Scotland.Â* I don't know if he moved to
>> another village to work or if it was within walking distance of Twechar
>> via Glasgow.Â* Seems like I'm looking for a little diamond in a huge pile
>> of coal.
>>
>> I'll see if the National Library has some archives online to help.Â* As
>> you say, the name is fairly common.Â* Thank you again.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Blimey! It takes about half an hour by car from Twecher to Glasgow!!
>>
>> The area you are talking about is very familiar to me.Â* I used to live
>> in Lenzie which is next to Kirkintilloch
>>

> According to Wikipedia, Twechar is a mining village so I guess he didn't
> have to walk far to get to work.
>
> I have no idea how far a walk it would be from Twechar to Kirkintilloch.
> Nor do I know how my grandfather met my grandmother.Â* There's no one
> left to ask but I'm not sure even my mother would have known that.Â* I'm
> guessing he lived close enough to find a way to court her.
>
> Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
> information.Â* So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary.Â* Maybe I should
> start ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead.
> <wink>
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok.Â* I thought you said he had to walk from Twecher to Glasgow.

I wasn't sure since his passport says Twechar nee Glasgow. It was
Sheila who wondered how far he would have had to walk to work at the mine.

> Twecher is right next to Kirkintilloch

It sounds he could have walked or bicycled to court my grandmother.

I wish I'd been older and knew to ask questions before they died. The
last time I saw them I was 11 years old and they were living in the US.
In a tiny village in Ohio.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:37:23 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
>information. So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary. Maybe I should
>start ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead.
><wink>

Look, they found Donald Putin!
<https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/19/20/4E69368200000578-5972025-image-a-73_1532028352376.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 7/19/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 7/18/2018 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> that he worked in a mine helps, as it was likely that other men in his
>>> family were also miners, which might help with census records, and if he
>>> was a miner, he would most likely have lived within walking distance of
>>> a mine. The National Library in Edinburgh has a marvelous collection of
>>> period maps available on line, which can help you narrow down possible
>>> 'George Browns' for further research - you can ignore anyone who (based
>>> on maps of the time) could not have easily walked to a mine.
>>>

>> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know how easy it would be to walk to a
>> coal mine in the 1900's in Scotland. I don't know if he moved to
>> another village to work or if it was within walking distance of Twechar
>> via Glasgow. Seems like I'm looking for a little diamond in a huge pile
>> of coal.
>>
>> I'll see if the National Library has some archives online to help. As
>> you say, the name is fairly common. Thank you again.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Blimey! It takes about half an hour by car from Twecher to Glasgow!!
>>
>> The area you are talking about is very familiar to me. I used to live in
>> Lenzie which is next to Kirkintilloch
>>

> According to Wikipedia, Twechar is a mining village so I guess he didn't
> have to walk far to get to work.
>
> I have no idea how far a walk it would be from Twechar to Kirkintilloch.
> Nor do I know how my grandfather met my grandmother. There's no one left
> to ask but I'm not sure even my mother would have known that. I'm
> guessing he lived close enough to find a way to court her.
>
> Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
> information. So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary. Maybe I should start
> ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead. <wink>
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok. I thought you said he had to walk from Twecher to Glasgow.

I wasn't sure since his passport says Twechar nee Glasgow. It was
Sheila who wondered how far he would have had to walk to work at the mine.

> Twecher is right next to Kirkintilloch

It sounds he could have walked or bicycled to court my grandmother.

I wish I'd been older and knew to ask questions before they died. The
last time I saw them I was 11 years old and they were living in the US.
In a tiny village in Ohio.

Jill

==

Don't upset yourself by thinking that way. Just enjoy what you have and
trying to find out more

@ Ophelia sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 07-03-2014 12:23 AM
Sorry, Ophelia Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 1 14-04-2006 09:52 AM
For OPHELIA Pandora General Cooking 2 01-04-2006 09:06 PM