Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default S Viemeister and Ophelia

On 7/19/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 7/18/2018 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...

>>> that he worked in a mine helps, as it was likely that other men in
>>> his family were also miners, which might help with census records,
>>> and if he was a miner, he would most likely have lived within walking
>>> distance of a mine. The National Library in Edinburgh has a marvelous
>>> collection of period maps available on line, which can help you
>>> narrow down possible 'George Browns' for further research - you can
>>> ignore anyone who (based on maps of the time) could not have easily
>>> walked to a mine.
>>>

>> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know how easy it would be to walk to a
>> coal mine in the 1900's in Scotland.Â* I don't know if he moved to
>> another village to work or if it was within walking distance of Twechar
>> via Glasgow.Â* Seems like I'm looking for a little diamond in a huge pile
>> of coal.
>>
>> I'll see if the National Library has some archives online to help.Â* As
>> you say, the name is fairly common.Â* Thank you again.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Blimey! It takes about half an hour by car from Twecher to Glasgow!!
>>
>> The area you are talking about is very familiar to me.Â* I used to live
>> in Lenzie which is next to Kirkintilloch
>>

> According to Wikipedia, Twechar is a mining village so I guess he didn't
> have to walk far to get to work.
>
> I have no idea how far a walk it would be from Twechar to Kirkintilloch.
> Nor do I know how my grandfather met my grandmother.Â* There's no one
> left to ask but I'm not sure even my mother would have known that.Â* I'm
> guessing he lived close enough to find a way to court her.
>
> Thank you everyone! for the information on how I might gather more
> information.Â* So sorry if the OT topic upsets Gary.Â* Maybe I should
> start ranting about religion or Trump or McDonald's restaurant instead.
> <wink>
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok.Â* I thought you said he had to walk from Twecher to Glasgow.

I wasn't sure since his passport says Twechar nee Glasgow. It was
Sheila who wondered how far he would have had to walk to work at the mine.

> Twecher is right next to Kirkintilloch

It sounds he could have walked or bicycled to court my grandmother.

I wish I'd been older and knew to ask questions before they died. The
last time I saw them I was 11 years old and they were living in the US.
In a tiny village in Ohio.

Jill