SEPrince1

Default How to brine a turkey

Hi:

I've heard of doing this to make a turkey super juicy. Anyone know the steps?
How much salt and water? What else goes in the bath?

Thanks
Bruce Dumes

Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,
which I'm following, that called for the turkey to be brined for 2 to 3
days.

Most of the recipes I've seen on the web call for it to be brined for
much less time than that and warn strongly about the negative (and
salty) effects of over-brining.

Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bob (this one)

Bruce Dumes wrote:

> Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,
> which I'm following, that called for the turkey to be brined for 2 to 3
> days.
>
> Most of the recipes I've seen on the web call for it to be brined for
> much less time than that and warn strongly about the negative (and
> salty) effects of over-brining.
>
> Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?

Yes. We brine big birds for two or three days routinely. The
concentration of the brine ingredients and the size of the critter
will be the determinants of duration. You can't just use directions
for *one* brine to apply to *all* brines.

Russ Parsons, who writes for the LATimes, and I debated all this on a
professional chefs' list a couple years ago. He doesn't like sugar in
his brines and generally uses a lower concentration than I do. His
times didn't work for mine and vice versa. Russ did a lot of
experimentation and I'd accept what he says pretty much as presented.
He's competent, careful and clear.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Bruce Dumes wrote:

> Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,
> which I'm following, that called for the turkey to be brined for 2 to 3
> days.
>
> Most of the recipes I've seen on the web call for it to be brined for
> much less time than that and warn strongly about the negative (and
> salty) effects of over-brining.
>
> Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?

Yes. We brine big birds for two or three days routinely. The
concentration of the brine ingredients and the size of the critter
will be the determinants of duration. You can't just use directions
for *one* brine to apply to *all* brines.

Russ Parsons, who writes for the LATimes, and I debated all this on a
professional chefs' list a couple years ago. He doesn't like sugar in
his brines and generally uses a lower concentration than I do. His
times didn't work for mine and vice versa. Russ did a lot of
experimentation and I'd accept what he says pretty much as presented.
He's competent, careful and clear.

Pastorio

Bruce Dumes

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Bruce Dumes wrote:
>
>> Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,

>> Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?

> Yes. We brine big birds for two or three days routinely. The
> concentration of the brine ingredients and the size of the critter will
> be the determinants of duration. You can't just use directions for *one*
> brine to apply to *all* brines.
>
> Russ Parsons, who writes for the LATimes, and I debated all this on a
> professional chefs' list a couple years ago. He doesn't like sugar in
> his brines and generally uses a lower concentration than I do. His times
> didn't work for mine and vice versa. Russ did a lot of experimentation
> and I'd accept what he says pretty much as presented. He's competent,
> careful and clear.
>
> Pastorio

Interesting, thanks! I don't know if this would have been Russ' recipe
then, because the recipe calls for salt and sugar. I'm going by memory,
but I think they called for 2/3 cup salt and 1/2 sugar for 1 gallon of
water.

I've done quite a bit of cooking, but this is my first experience
brining, so I'm really anxious to see how this goes. I'll be glad to
report the results if anyone is interested.

Bruce
Bruce Dumes

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Bruce Dumes wrote:
>
>> Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,

>> Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?

> Yes. We brine big birds for two or three days routinely. The
> concentration of the brine ingredients and the size of the critter will
> be the determinants of duration. You can't just use directions for *one*
> brine to apply to *all* brines.
>
> Russ Parsons, who writes for the LATimes, and I debated all this on a
> professional chefs' list a couple years ago. He doesn't like sugar in
> his brines and generally uses a lower concentration than I do. His times
> didn't work for mine and vice versa. Russ did a lot of experimentation
> and I'd accept what he says pretty much as presented. He's competent,
> careful and clear.
>
> Pastorio

Interesting, thanks! I don't know if this would have been Russ' recipe
then, because the recipe calls for salt and sugar. I'm going by memory,
but I think they called for 2/3 cup salt and 1/2 sugar for 1 gallon of
water.

I've done quite a bit of cooking, but this is my first experience
brining, so I'm really anxious to see how this goes. I'll be glad to
report the results if anyone is interested.

Bruce

ilaboo

Bruce Dumes wrote:
> Speaking of brining, the LA times had an article on brining a turkey,
> which I'm following, that called for the turkey to be brined for 2 to 3
> days.
>
> Most of the recipes I've seen on the web call for it to be brined for
> much less time than that and warn strongly about the negative (and
> salty) effects of over-brining.
>
> Anyone have direct experience with brining this long?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

i use seltzer water--instead of water--as the bubbles expand they spread
the tissue so the brine solution can enter easily

my condentration of salt is (using coarse salt is a slightly less that
1/3 cup in 1 quart of water--i leave it 8 hours and really rinse it--i
have been trying to find the elast amount of salt to use and this is the
least i hav found--i have done no experimenting --email to purdue
chicken --they never responded

keep us posted

problem with using orange juice i found was that the oils in the juice
became encorporated in the tissue giving it a bitter taste

i have incidently injected plain yourgurt into the turkey and jsut cooke
it--worked great--use of flavored yogur --the tast of the flavor never
came thru although i consiered it a great idea--hmm i wonder about using
baby apple sauce etc?--will try this next time

hth
peter
ilaboo

To brine a turkey Gene Barbecue 84 11-06-2010 02:08 PM
Turkey Brine Morris General Cooking 9 05-12-2006 01:03 AM
Turkey Brine Question Annaid General Cooking 4 25-11-2003 10:02 AM