Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default To brine a turkey

This post is not to stir up shit.

I have a real concern that someone needing advice on brining a turkey
might get advice that could kill someone. This is my attempt to
provide some clarity. Most here know all this already. Some others
might dispense advise that is down right stupid. No names please.

NEVER, EVER brine at any temp higher than 38 degrees F. No ifs, ands,
or buts. You CAN kill someone.

Please see
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...dex.asp#turkey

The only way to brine a turkey in a plastic bag in a plastic bucket in
a garage is to follow these rules. I personally would not brine in a
plastic bag, in a bucket, in a garage.

The turkey temp can never go higher than 38 degrees F. NO, not 39 or
40. Too much risk for the temp shifting to an unsafe higher temp.

The plastic bag must be food grade.

The bucket must be food grade.

The water temp must not be higher than 38 degrees F.

The bucket must be covered.

The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
brine.

No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.

Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
unsafe.

Peace

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"We Americans have more food to eat than any other people and more diets to keep us from eating it"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
> brine.
>
> No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
> be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.
>
> Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
> unsafe.
>
> Peace
>

> Gene

I have my brother in law brine in a food grade plastic bag (ziplock does
make bags that big!) in a bucket in the bottom of my Hobart. It's been
holding an average temp of 35 degrees. ;-)

Alternately, he'll put it in an ice chest with a layer of ice over and
under the bag.

I have the 'frige space tho' so there is no reason not to use it.

I make my Canadian bacon in the Hobart and sugar brine for 5 to 7 days.
That stuff is the gods. I still have some Mimosa reserved for the loin
that's in the freezer.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:12:17 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
>> brine.
>>
>> No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
>> be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.
>>
>> Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
>> unsafe.
>>
>> Peace
>>

>> Gene

>I have my brother in law brine in a food grade plastic bag (ziplock does
>make bags that big!) in a bucket in the bottom of my Hobart. It's been
>holding an average temp of 35 degrees. ;-)
>
>Alternately, he'll put it in an ice chest with a layer of ice over and
>under the bag.
>
>I have the 'frige space tho' so there is no reason not to use it.
>
>I make my Canadian bacon in the Hobart and sugar brine for 5 to 7 days.
>That stuff is the gods. I still have some Mimosa reserved for the loin
>that's in the freezer.

I did a turkey brined in a cooler in the back of my mini van. Temp
never went over 35F.

I just wanted to make a point about how the advice we give can make a
big impact.

This group is viewed as THE expert group on all things BBQ. No
kidding. We have to be able to give good advice. Failing that, we damn
better be able to give SAFE advice.

Not all will understand what we may say, but we should try our best to
give the best we can, or, not type at all.

Q is subjective. You may not like the texture a brine provides. I may
love it. You make a sauce, I like Open Pit (not really, hate the
crap). Point is.....none of these things will kill anyone. Spoiled
food can.

I don't post here much. But most have gotten to know me on some level.
I don't post here much because I feel a need to type responses to bull
shit that really are not worth the shit I would get back for my
efforts.

I lurked here on and off for over 5 years before I made my 1st
comment. I watched, tried things that ppl here said, did research, and
learned.

I can't give you the names of the ppl that had the most positive
impact on my Q skills. But I can name those that had the most
negative. But I will restrain myself.

I am a Martial Artist. I have spent about 48 years honing my skills.
My sons are Martial Artists and teachers of our art. What is the most
important question they have ever asked me? "Dad, how do I KNOW that
the technique I teach will work for THIS STUDENT"? I tell them that
there is know way of KNOWING what works for another. Observe your
student. Understand how they view things. Design a way of teaching
THAT person. And do the very best you can to ensure that what you are
teaching is understood.

If we feel that we should be giving advice to ppl that question here,
it would not be a bad thing to try and do the same.

None of this is directed at you OM. But I do know that most will read
it, so I felt a need to lay it out here.

You always give the most thoughtful advice

Peace

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> I did a turkey brined in a cooler in the back of my mini van. Temp
> never went over 35F.
>
> I just wanted to make a point about how the advice we give can make a
> big impact.
>
> This group is viewed as THE expert group on all things BBQ. No
> kidding. We have to be able to give good advice. Failing that, we damn
> better be able to give SAFE advice.
>
> Not all will understand what we may say, but we should try our best to
> give the best we can, or, not type at all.
>
> Q is subjective. You may not like the texture a brine provides. I may
> love it. You make a sauce, I like Open Pit (not really, hate the
> crap). Point is.....none of these things will kill anyone. Spoiled
> food can.

I totally understand, and agree.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> This post is not to stir up shit.
>
> I have a real concern that someone needing advice on brining a turkey
> might get advice that could kill someone. This is my attempt to
> provide some clarity. Most here know all this already. Some others
> might dispense advise that is down right stupid. No names please.
>
> NEVER, EVER brine at any temp higher than 38 degrees F. No ifs, ands,
> or buts. You CAN kill someone.
>
> Please see
> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...dex.asp#turkey
>
> The only way to brine a turkey in a plastic bag in a plastic bucket in
> a garage is to follow these rules. I personally would not brine in a
> plastic bag, in a bucket, in a garage.
>
> The turkey temp can never go higher than 38 degrees F. NO, not 39 or
> 40. Too much risk for the temp shifting to an unsafe higher temp.
>
> The plastic bag must be food grade.
>
> The bucket must be food grade.
>
> The water temp must not be higher than 38 degrees F.
>
> The bucket must be covered.
>
> The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
> brine.
>
> No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
> be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.
>
> Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
> unsafe.
>
> Peace
>
> Gene

I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Gene" > wrote in message
>
>>This post is not to stir up shit.
>>
>>I have a real concern that someone needing advice on brining a turkey
>>might get advice that could kill someone. This is my attempt to
>>provide some clarity. Most here know all this already. Some others
>>might dispense advise that is down right stupid. No names please.
>>
>>NEVER, EVER brine at any temp higher than 38 degrees F. No ifs, ands,
>>or buts. You CAN kill someone.
>>
>>Please see
>>http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...dex.asp#turkey
>>
>>The only way to brine a turkey in a plastic bag in a plastic bucket in
>>a garage is to follow these rules. I personally would not brine in a
>>plastic bag, in a bucket, in a garage.
>>
>>The turkey temp can never go higher than 38 degrees F. NO, not 39 or
>>40. Too much risk for the temp shifting to an unsafe higher temp.
>>
>>The plastic bag must be food grade.
>>
>>The bucket must be food grade.
>>
>>The water temp must not be higher than 38 degrees F.
>>
>>The bucket must be covered.
>>
>>The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
>>brine.
>>
>>No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
>>be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.
>>
>>Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
>>unsafe.
>>

> I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
> standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

This has now become a race to the bottom. "He
who brines at the lowest temperature wins".

Not the case. Anything at or below 40 F is safe.

Further, if you go below a certain temp (36 F or so) it
interferes with salt uptake. This is bad, possibly very
bad, from a food safety perspective. It could ruin and
render potentially dangerous longer curing items like ham.

The original post is hysteria, IMO. And by making
it sound like lower is better under all circumstances
it's quite inaccurate.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Canadian Bacon (was To brine a turkey)

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> clip
> > I make my Canadian bacon in the Hobart and sugar brine for 5 to 7 days.
> > That stuff is the gods. I still have some Mimosa reserved for the loin
> > that's in the freezer.

> Care to elaborate on the Canadian Bacon technique/recipe?

Sure! Go he

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/CandadianBacon#>

3lbs. raw boneless pork loin, 1 gallon of water, 1/2 cup of sea salt,
1/2 cup turbinado (raw) sugar, 2 tbs. of 1 part salt petre to 15 parts
salt (it is safer to use it if you dilute it this way), 2 tbs. salt free
lemon pepper and (not pictured) 2 tbs. granulated garlic.

Boil water and all other ingredients (except the meat) together until
the salt and sugar are incorporated, then cool and put into a glass one
gallon jar. Insert the raw meat and refrigerate for 5 to 7 days,
mixing/shaking the jar once or twice per day.

Note: I did NOT trim the fat off. There is no real reason to do so and
it helps during the smoke phase.

Remove the meat from the jar and place on a grate over a plate uncovered
in the refrigerator and let drain/dry for 2 to 3 days, turning it over
once or twice per day.

Smoke for 2 hours with your choice of wood at 300 degrees (I used
Mimosa), chill and serve.

That drying step between soaking and smoking is really critical. Makes
all the difference in the texture and I recommend at least 3 days and
make sure it's up on sometime (like a rack) so it can really drain. I
recommend the full 3 days but another day or two won't hurt it. You can
tell when it's ready. My Hobart maintains a monitored temp at 35 to 42
degrees F.

Our local store had full sized (9 lbs. on average) vac packed pork loins
for $.99 per lb. for about a month last year. I still have one in the
freezer that will be made into this. I just cut it in 1/3rds so it's
easy to handle and will fit in the gallon jar. I've done this
successfully 3 times now.

This comes out very well and you can add other spices as desired. Just
be sure to cook with the original brine so that you make sort of a
"tea". That way the herbal flavor actually soaks into the meat. When
you are done smoking, you can sprinkle the outside of the meat with
whatever else you want while it is still hot. I used an additional mix
of lemon pepper (salt free) and a little granulated garlic.

It is not as much work as it sounds like. :-) You can, of course, use a
commercial curing salt instead of the diluted salt petre mix. I was
trying to avoid Nitrites.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote

Gene, we all know all of that, but thanks for spreading the knowledge.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote

> None of this is directed at you OM. But I do know that most will read
> it, so I felt a need to lay it out here.

Too long, didn't read.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote
> clip
>> I make my Canadian bacon in the Hobart and sugar brine for 5 to 7 days.
>> That stuff is the gods. I still have some Mimosa reserved for the loin
>> that's in the freezer.

> Care to elaborate on the Canadian Bacon technique/recipe?

Pork loin and a TenderQuick® cure, then smoke.

Easy peasy.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 27, 9:42*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.

Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
be regarded that way.

Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 27, 9:42 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.

Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
be regarded that way.

Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall

You language is too obvious.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote

> I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
> standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.
>
> Kent

Nice. It only took you 5 years for a comeback.

RECOGNIZE
The fact that you are an idiot...

APPRECIATE
The fact that you have generations of bbq knowledge at your fingertips

STFU
Nobody really cares

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 27, 9:42 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.

Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
be regarded that way.

Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

I'm TFM® and I agree with this post.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> On Mar 27, 9:42*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> > and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
> > temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

> This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
> attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
> never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
> shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
> piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.
>
> Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
> everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
> you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
> keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
> you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
> be regarded that way.
>
> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

Hey now, cut him some slack! Everybody has a right to admit that they
may have been in error and have learned... :-)

I've done that myself!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 27, 1:51*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message

> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
>
> This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
>
> You language is too obvious.

Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?

Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.

Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> "Gene" > wrote in message
>>
>>>This post is not to stir up shit.
>>>
>>>I have a real concern that someone needing advice on brining a turkey
>>>might get advice that could kill someone. This is my attempt to
>>>provide some clarity. Most here know all this already. Some others
>>>might dispense advise that is down right stupid. No names please.
>>>
>>>NEVER, EVER brine at any temp higher than 38 degrees F. No ifs, ands,
>>>or buts. You CAN kill someone.
>>>
>>>Please see
>>>http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...dex.asp#turkey
>>>
>>>The only way to brine a turkey in a plastic bag in a plastic bucket in
>>>a garage is to follow these rules. I personally would not brine in a
>>>plastic bag, in a bucket, in a garage.
>>>
>>>The turkey temp can never go higher than 38 degrees F. NO, not 39 or
>>>40. Too much risk for the temp shifting to an unsafe higher temp.
>>>
>>>The plastic bag must be food grade.
>>>
>>>The bucket must be food grade.
>>>
>>>The water temp must not be higher than 38 degrees F.
>>>
>>>The bucket must be covered.
>>>
>>>The garage must be at 38 degrees F or lower for the duration of the
>>>brine.
>>>
>>>No arguments, bull shit, or anything that is not FACT please. Lets not
>>>be responsible for a newbie killing someone based on our fantasies.
>>>
>>>Do as you will. But I caution anyone on giving advice that MIGHT be
>>>unsafe.
>>>

>> I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
>> standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
>> temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

> This has now become a race to the bottom. "He
> who brines at the lowest temperature wins".
>
> Not the case. Anything at or below 40 F is safe.
>
> Further, if you go below a certain temp (36 F or so) it
> interferes with salt uptake. This is bad, possibly very
> bad, from a food safety perspective. It could ruin and
> render potentially dangerous longer curing items like ham.
>
> The original post is hysteria, IMO. And by making
> it sound like lower is better under all circumstances
> it's quite inaccurate.
>
> --
> Mort

In the FDA site above I don't see anything about specific brining
temperature[s]. I wrote the above because for the last 5+ years that's what
I have been doing, brining in the frig.

I've been trying to find hard data about the safety of brining at different
temperatures. I can't find any study where the investigator placed fowl in
salt water at different temperatures and waited for bacteria to grow. In
addition, as you increase the salt concentration of your brine, the
bacteriostatic effect increases. You would have to do the above study with
different concentrations of brine, at different temperatures. If anyone
knows of hard data about this please share it with us. We could quit
prattling, although it's a very interesting subject.

Here's an interesting article about brining I ran across. Scroll down to
"brining tips", and note the language about "garage brining". That's
basically what I've done in the past.

Kent
------------
Tutall, before and if you read this you'd better give yourself an enema.
You'll be able to get everything out more easily.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
> On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>

>> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
>> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
>>
>> This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
>>
>> You language is too obvious.
>>

> Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?
>
> Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.
>
> Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.

You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...

http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Larry" > wrote in message
> You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...
>
> http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

Ugly shit, isn't he? Looks like he's been on a 6 year drunk/drug.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

About brining:
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...g-a-turkey.asp

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message

> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
>
> This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
>
> You language is too obvious.

Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?

Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.

A few years ago, I would have laughed at that news.
Having been personally touched by death, I can now only say that I'm sorry
to hear that.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Larry" > wrote in message
> tutall wrote:

>>> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
>>> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
>>>
>>> This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
>>>
>>> You language is too obvious.
>>>

>> Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?
>>
>> Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.
>>
>> Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.
>>

> You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...
>
> http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

****!

And I was so nice in my previous post...

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kelvin" > wrote in message

> "Larry" > wrote in message
>> You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...
>>
>> http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

> Ugly shit, isn't he? Looks like he's been on a 6 year drunk/drug.

Yeah, he looks like he's been on a bender. Just a regular joe though.

Up a bit on the site, I'm really confused about the "Blackboard Support
Specialist"
WTF? He's really good at erasing?

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article > ,
TFM® > wrote:

> "tutall" > wrote in message
> On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> > "tutall" > wrote in message

> > Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
> > entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
> >
> > This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
> >
> > You language is too obvious.

> Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?
>
> Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.
>

> A few years ago, I would have laughed at that news.
> Having been personally touched by death, I can now only say that I'm sorry
> to hear that.
>
> TFM®

It does change you. I know from personal experience as well.

I'm so very, very sorry Alan. She was loved by many...
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:12:17 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>> I am a Martial Artist. I have spent about 48 years honing my skills.

> My sons are Martial Artists and teachers of our art. What is the most
> important question they have ever asked me? "Dad, how do I KNOW that
> the technique I teach will work for THIS STUDENT"? I tell them that
> there is know way of KNOWING what works for another. Observe your
> student. Understand how they view things. Design a way of teaching
> THAT person. And do the very best you can to ensure that what you are
> teaching is understood.
>
> If we feel that we should be giving advice to ppl that question here,
> it would not be a bad thing to try and do the same.
>
> None of this is directed at you OM. But I do know that most will read
> it, so I felt a need to lay it out here.
>
> You always give the most thoughtful advice
>
> Peace
>

> Gene

oh ****....another plucas1.......*greaaaat*.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, Larry > wrote:

> tutall wrote:

> >> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
> >> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.
> >>
> >> This has to be Kevin S. Wilson! tutoring, aka tutall
> >>
> >> You language is too obvious.
> >>

> > Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?
> >
> > Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.
> >
> > Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.
> >

> You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...
>
> http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

That link is dated Sep 7, 2007.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 28, 1:28*am, TFM® > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message

> > tutall wrote:

> >> Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?

> >> Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.

> >> Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.

> > You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...

> >http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

> ****!
>
> And I was so nice in my previous post...
>
> TFM®- Hide quoted text -

Eh, that page hasn't been updated since Sept. 2007.
No proof either way really.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 28, 1:28 am, TFM® > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message

> > tutall wrote:

> >> Obvious? To whom? People with brain damage?

> >> Word is is that Kevin Wilson died a while back actually.

> >> Let me repeat: You. are. terminally. stupid.

> > You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...

> >http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

> ****!
>
> And I was so nice in my previous post...
>
> TFM®- Hide quoted text -

Eh, that page hasn't been updated since Sept. 2007.
No proof either way really.

Ok, here's my opinion (as if anyone gives a shit)

I don't think I've ever seen his picture until that link was posted. If I
did, I was drunk and don't remember it.

He looks to me like someone who could actually be fun to barbecue with. A
hell of a lot more fun than the "Blackboard Support Specialist" (WTF is that
anyway?)

If he's dead, it's a good thing for the NG, a bad thing for his family and
friends.
If he's alive, he's done the right thing by STFU'ing.

All told, he will live on as long as the rest of us will, if only in our
memories. That's enough for any man.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> He looks to me like someone who could actually be fun to barbecue with.
> A hell of a lot more fun than the "Blackboard Support Specialist" (WTF
> is that anyway?)

I'm pretty sure it's something y'all folks know as "book larnin".

http://www.blackboard.com/

Except it's done via computers.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> If he's alive, he's done the right thing by STFU'ing.

He was told to STFU by the University he works for. If anyone remembers,
most of his sleazy, attacking, provoking, and petulant posting was done
during work hours on the University's equipment. I and a few others began
contacting the University President, provosts, and a couple of state
legislators about Wilson, along with a copies of a few of his juiciest
diatribes to this ng. It wasn't long before he suddenly and mysteriously
seemed to disappear from the usenet waves.

Now, I'm not saying that the anti-Wilson campaign had anything to do with
anything, but it sure was a grand coincidence nonetheless.

What is so utterly fascinating about the Kevin Wilson case is how, for some
years, he was a great participant and exceedingly helpful with his bbq
knowledge. His website with the Kamado was very nice. Then seemingly
overnight he couldn't do enough to harrass and to try and damage this ng. It
was like Jekyll and Hyde.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:
> "Kelvin" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Larry" > wrote in message
>>> You will be very happy to hear that he is alive and well...
>>>
>>> http://itc.boisestate.edu/contact.htm

>> Ugly shit, isn't he? Looks like he's been on a 6 year drunk/drug.
>>

> Yeah, he looks like he's been on a bender. Just a regular joe though.
>
> Up a bit on the site, I'm really confused about the "Blackboard
> Support Specialist"
> WTF? He's really good at erasing?
>

> TFM®

It's a part time job - I hope.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Larry" > wrote in message
news
> TFM® wrote:

>>> Ugly shit, isn't he? Looks like he's been on a 6 year drunk/drug.
>>>

>> Yeah, he looks like he's been on a bender. Just a regular joe though.
>>
>> Up a bit on the site, I'm really confused about the "Blackboard Support
>> Specialist"
>> WTF? He's really good at erasing?
>>

>> TFM®
>>

> It's a part time job - I hope.

I just got a degree.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:09:24 -0400, "skeeter" >
wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:12:17 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>> I am a Martial Artist. I have spent about 48 years honing my skills.

>> My sons are Martial Artists and teachers of our art. What is the most
>> important question they have ever asked me? "Dad, how do I KNOW that
>> the technique I teach will work for THIS STUDENT"? I tell them that
>> there is know way of KNOWING what works for another. Observe your
>> student. Understand how they view things. Design a way of teaching
>> THAT person. And do the very best you can to ensure that what you are
>> teaching is understood.
>>
>> If we feel that we should be giving advice to ppl that question here,
>> it would not be a bad thing to try and do the same.
>>
>> None of this is directed at you OM. But I do know that most will read
>> it, so I felt a need to lay it out here.
>>
>> You always give the most thoughtful advice
>>
>> Peace
>>

>> Gene

>oh ****....another plucas1.......*greaaaat*.

Huh?

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
>standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
>temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.
>
>Kent

I have a 10 inch cock. This updates and replaces anything regarding
the sex I have had over the last 35 years.

See how stupid that sounds?

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>This has now become a race to the bottom. "He
>who brines at the lowest temperature wins".
>
>Not the case. Anything at or below 40 F is safe.
>
>Further, if you go below a certain temp (36 F or so) it
>interferes with salt uptake. This is bad, possibly very
>bad, from a food safety perspective. It could ruin and
>render potentially dangerous longer curing items like ham.

I agree with all that. But I honk you might have missed the point on
my original post.

>The original post is hysteria, IMO. And by making
>it sound like lower is better under all circumstances
>it's quite inaccurate.

It is NOT hysteria. Read some of the advice given here over the last
year about doing a brine at (about) 45 degrees. Mine was an attempt to
keep people who have little knowledge from killing people that have
even less.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:06:36 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> tutall > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 27, 9:42*am, "Kent" > wrote:
>> > and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
>> > temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.

>> This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
>> attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
>> never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
>> shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
>> piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.
>>
>> Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
>> everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
>> you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
>> keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
>> you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
>> be regarded that way.
>>
>> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
>> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

>Hey now, cut him some slack! Everybody has a right to admit that they
>may have been in error and have learned... :-)
>
>I've done that myself!

Ah, but that is not what he did. He argued with everyone under the
sun, refused to be pointed in the righ direction, told people that
they were stupid, questioned parentage, and over a LOOOOONNNGGGG time
refused to admit he was wrong.

Now he is tellin all those people that wanted to know about safe
brining that are not here to hear it "disregard all that unsafe,
stupid crap that can kill you that I now say I was wrong about".

Oh, and BTW. When he was "wrong", he was a real dick about it.

So you can understand why ppl are telling him to STFU.

And this is NOT the 1st item he was a total ass about.

Just my 2 cents trying to set the record straight.

Peace

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:55:37 -0400, TFM® > wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote
>
>Gene, we all know all of that, but thanks for spreading the knowledge.
>
>TFM®

Thanks. But it was more about ppl who come here with questions getting
the right answer and not one that could hurt someone.

When I 1st came here I got 100 answerers to a question. All were good,
and most were different. But NONE of them could have got me or my
family sick or killed.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> >Hey now, cut him some slack! Everybody has a right to admit that they
> >may have been in error and have learned... :-)
> >
> >I've done that myself!

> Ah, but that is not what he did. He argued with everyone under the
> sun, refused to be pointed in the righ direction, told people that
> they were stupid, questioned parentage, and over a LOOOOONNNGGGG time
> refused to admit he was wrong.
>
> Now he is tellin all those people that wanted to know about safe
> brining that are not here to hear it "disregard all that unsafe,
> stupid crap that can kill you that I now say I was wrong about".
>
> Oh, and BTW. When he was "wrong", he was a real dick about it.
>
> So you can understand why ppl are telling him to STFU.
>
> And this is NOT the 1st item he was a total ass about.
>
> Just my 2 cents trying to set the record straight.
>
> Peace
>
> Gene

Ok. I am a newbie here and admittedly ignorant of past history...
But, maybe he is finally growing up. ;-) It happens to all of us
eventually. Hopefully anyway!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>
>>I brine as close to 34F as possible in the refrigerator. This is my
>>standard, and this hereby updates and replaces anything regarding brining
>>temperature I have posted to any newsgroup in the past.
>>
>>Kent

> I have a 10 inch cock. This updates and replaces anything regarding
> the sex I have had over the last 35 years.
>
> See how stupid that sounds?
>
> Gene
>
> Did what I you've written above come out of your cock, your rectum, your
> nose, or did you burp.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Ok. I am a newbie here and admittedly ignorant of past history...
>But, maybe he is finally growing up. ;-) It happens to all of us
>eventually. Hopefully anyway!

I'm in and out here. But I have my doubts.

We shall see. But just for fun (and so I can gets lots of money), care
to make a bet?

Turkey Brine Morris General Cooking 9 05-12-2006 01:03 AM
How to brine a turkey SEPrince1 General Cooking 11 24-11-2004 08:41 PM
Turkey Brine Question Annaid General Cooking 4 25-11-2003 10:02 AM