Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ruined Enchiladas

What a mess! I had two jars of salsa verde that I was going to use.
Stonewall Kitchen brand. Not sure where I bought them. Exp. 11/2018. Both
jars had gold colored lids and both lids had deteriorated badly to the point
that they left black, crusty chunks all over my counter and in the sauce at
the top. I did not feel that it was safe to eat!

I do know how to make good enchilada sauce from scratch. Can even make salsa
verde from scratch but no time to do so. So... I cobbled together a sauce of
plain tomato sauce and Rotel (tomatoes and chiles) with some added
seasonings. All seemed to be going well after that except that for some
reason, the tortillas totally disintegrated on the chicken ones. Maybe the
chicken was too moist or something? The cheese ones didn't do that. They
still look good.

At least my refried beans and rice both look and taste good.

Has anyone else ever had jars that did this? I could see maybe with a tomato
product but salsa verde isn't tomato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:02:39 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> Both jars [...] deteriorated [...] black, crusty chunks
> Has anyone else ever had jars that did this?

Yes. Most likely the crud did not actually make the salsa dangerous, but
tossing it was the correct response when one considers all the bother &
suffering of just a small chance of food poisoning.

I have found this to be more common with the 'Mason' lids (two pieces; flat
disk rubberized on downward food side + cylindrical threaded portion with
interior shoulder to hold down the disc component). I suspect that
one-piece lids can be tightened more reliably by automated equipment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike_Duffy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:02:39 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Both jars [...] deteriorated [...] black, crusty chunks
>> Has anyone else ever had jars that did this?

> Yes. Most likely the crud did not actually make the salsa dangerous, but
> tossing it was the correct response when one considers all the bother &
> suffering of just a small chance of food poisoning.
>
> I have found this to be more common with the 'Mason' lids (two pieces;
> flat
> disk rubberized on downward food side + cylindrical threaded portion with
> interior shoulder to hold down the disc component). I suspect that
> one-piece lids can be tightened more reliably by automated equipment.

These were one piece but it looked like they were deteriorating on the
inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Mike_Duffy" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:02:39 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Both jars [...] deteriorated [...] black, crusty chunks
>>> Has anyone else ever had jars that did this?

>> Yes. Most likely the crud did not actually make the salsa dangerous, but
>> tossing it was the correct response when one considers all the bother &
>> suffering of just a small chance of food poisoning.
>>
>> I have found this to be more common with the 'Mason' lids (two pieces;
>> flat
>> disk rubberized on downward food side + cylindrical threaded portion with
>> interior shoulder to hold down the disc component). I suspect that
>> one-piece lids can be tightened more reliably by automated equipment.

> These were one piece but it looked like they were deteriorating on the
> inside.

You can still feed it to the gardener. He won't notice, and it's
probably safe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 5:05:40 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Yes. Most likely the crud did not actually make the salsa dangerous, but
> >> tossing it was the correct response when one considers all the bother &
> >> suffering of just a small chance of food poisoning.
> >>
> >> I have found this to be more common with the 'Mason' lids (two pieces;
> >> flat
> >> disk rubberized on downward food side + cylindrical threaded portion with
> >> interior shoulder to hold down the disc component). I suspect that
> >> one-piece lids can be tightened more reliably by automated equipment.

> > These were one piece but it looked like they were deteriorating on the
> > inside.

> You can still feed it to the gardener. He won't notice, and it's
> probably safe

It is not her fault...she has never eaten "normal" food...so buying these
exotic foods packaged or jarred in "gawd knows where" food factories bring with
them inherent risks not usually found with conventional foods.
====