Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft Shell Crab

jmcquown wrote:

> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.

lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
always saying "this rock."
That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.

Anyway, my 'country' is just as low as yours Jill. Pretty much
all of the east coast from Jersey down is low sand country. Temps
are unseasonably warm every where in the southeast this Feb.
Certainly is here as February is usually the coldest month and
most snow. Not this year and I sure hope this trend doesn't
continue through the spring and summer.

> Must be great for kayaking, though! It's been about 20 degrees
> higher than usual for the last week. (This does not bode well for
> summer.) In the summer the heat can be very oppressive. You know that
> saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."? I'm here to tell you,
> it's *both*. LOL

It *IS* the combination of both but even worse is the 3rd factor
added to the mix. Early mornings start out in the 80's here last
several years (summer months) and also very high humidity. The
3rd factor during early mornings is the lack of any wind. It's
dead calm when I go out to work at 5-6AM and it's so horrible.
When I open my door to go out to work, it feels like I'm walking
into a very steamy bathroom after someone just took a long hot
shower. Just walking maybe 50 steps to my van and I'm already
sweating. This is the case most summer mornings too, not just
occasionally.

If we work outside, these conditions last for hours until about
9-10 before a breeze finally kicks up. Not so bad once the wind
starts to blow. Sad nonsense to work in though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2018 8:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.

> lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
> always saying "this rock."
> That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.

LOL sand isn't really a factor. For me, it has nothing to do with
pride. The term "lowcountry" is how the area is described by news
stations out of and including Savannah, GA. (The Memphis area is
described by their local news stations as the "mid-south".)

> Anyway, my 'country' is just as low as yours Jill. Pretty much
> all of the east coast from Jersey down is low sand country. Temps
> are unseasonably warm every where in the southeast this Feb.
> Certainly is here as February is usually the coldest month and
> most snow. Not this year and I sure hope this trend doesn't
> continue through the spring and summer.

Kinda my point. It doesn't bode well for summer.

>> Must be great for kayaking, though! It's been about 20 degrees
>> higher than usual for the last week. (This does not bode well for
>> summer.) In the summer the heat can be very oppressive. You know that
>> saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."? I'm here to tell you,
>> it's *both*. LOL

> It *IS* the combination of both but even worse is the 3rd factor
> added to the mix. Early mornings start out in the 80's here last
> several years (summer months) and also very high humidity. The
> 3rd factor during early mornings is the lack of any wind. It's
> dead calm when I go out to work at 5-6AM and it's so horrible.
> When I open my door to go out to work, it feels like I'm walking
> into a very steamy bathroom after someone just took a long hot
> shower. Just walking maybe 50 steps to my van and I'm already
> sweating. This is the case most summer mornings too, not just
> occasionally.

That's where things here are different. It's often quite breezy on the
islands (Dave is on Tybee Island in Georgia at the moment). In the
summer it's so very hot and sticky the breeze doesn't help much. When
you step outside it still feels like you've been slapped in the face
with a hot wet towel.

> If we work outside, these conditions last for hours until about
> 9-10 before a breeze finally kicks up. Not so bad once the wind
> starts to blow. Sad nonsense to work in though.

I tend to avoid doing even basic yard work in the height of summer. As
you indicated, even in the wee hours of the morning it's stifling.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 7:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-23 6:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/23/2018 3:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> *February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.
>>
>> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of
>> year. **Must be great for kayaking, though! * It's been about 20
>> degrees higher than usual for the last week.* (This does not bode well
>> for summer.)* In the summer the heat can be very oppressive.* You know
>> that saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."?* I'm here to
>> tell you, it's *both*. LOL
>>

> I am not complaining, but let's just say it has been hot. I would have
> been worn shorts today but I have discovered biting gnats.

Yep, lots of gnats and "noseeums". Did I forget to tell you to buy some
Avon's Skin-so-Soft lotion? Don't ask me why, that stuff seems to have
insect repelling properties. Avon products are usually sold by
independent resellers (Ding dong! Avon Calling!"). In some stores down
here you can buy it off the shelf, simply because people discovered
gnats and other annoying biting insects don't like it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 08:22:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.

>lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
>always saying "this rock."
>That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.
>
>Anyway, my 'country' is just as low as yours Jill. Pretty much
>all of the east coast from Jersey down is low sand country. Temps
>are unseasonably warm every where in the southeast this Feb.
>Certainly is here as February is usually the coldest month and
>most snow. Not this year and I sure hope this trend doesn't
>continue through the spring and summer.

It's been unseasonably warm in the Catskills for this time of year,
reached 73ºF yesterday afternoon, it's 46ºF here now. If this trend
continues it'll wreak havoc with the fruit trees as they'll blossom
too early and then a night frost will cause the blossoms to drop
and most critically will harm the bees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:00:47 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2018 8:22 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.

>> lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
>> always saying "this rock."
>> That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.
>>

>LOL sand isn't really a factor. For me, it has nothing to do with
>pride. The term "lowcountry" is how the area is described by news
>stations out of and including Savannah, GA. (The Memphis area is
>described by their local news stations as the "mid-south".)

snip

>Jill

low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2018 11:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:00:47 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
>>> always saying "this rock."
>>> That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.
>>>

>> LOL sand isn't really a factor. For me, it has nothing to do with
>> pride. The term "lowcountry" is how the area is described by news
>> stations out of and including Savannah, GA. (The Memphis area is
>> described by their local news stations as the "mid-south".)
>>

> snip
>>
>> Jill

> low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
> who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
> Janet US

Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
boil is Frogmore Stew.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2018 11:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:00:47 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> LOL sand isn't really a factor. For me, it has nothing to do with
>>> pride. The term "lowcountry" is how the area is described by news
>>> stations out of and including Savannah, GA. (The Memphis area is
>>> described by their local news stations as the "mid-south".)
>>>

>> snip
>>>
>>> Jill

>> low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
>> who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
>> Janet US
>>

>Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>boil is Frogmore Stew.
>
>Jill

that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
heard the term before that I remember.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
> > who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
> > Janet US
> >

> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
> boil is Frogmore Stew.

I've heard of it but it's not a local dish here in the barely
mid-south.

OB food: Eating other stuff today but for tomorrow, I'll be
having the nice bbq sandwiches (pulled pork with the vinegar
dressing) aka eastern NC barbeque. Also on the soft white-bread
buns will be an almost equal amount of good cole slaw. It's
tradition here. One of my best meals along with salty chips or
fries.

YUM! :-D

Maybe I'll take a blurry pic if anyone cares to see that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:31:36 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2018 11:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> snip

>>> low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
>>> who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>>boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>
>>Jill

>that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>heard the term before that I remember.
>Janet US

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/frogmorestew.htm
Figures a *** would claim dibs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:39:06 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2018 11:00 AM, Gary wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's been unseasonably warm in the Catskills for this time of year,
>>> reached 73ºF yesterday afternoon, it's 46ºF here now. If this trend
>>> continues it'll wreak havoc with the fruit trees as they'll blossom
>>> too early and then a night frost will cause the blossoms to drop
>>> and most critically will harm the bees.

>> You are correct. This early nonsense has happened here before
>> too...causing all kinds of plants to bloom way too early only to
>> freeze and die at night a few weeks later.
>>
>> It's going to be in upper 70's here today and tomorrow...in
>> FEBRUARY???? Not normal at all and this will trick all kinds of
>> plants into early blooming.
>>

>It's not just plants, it's bugs. Particularly, wasps. I've seen all
>sorts of those jolly things outside my window. They're looking around
>for places to build their nests under the eaves. Mud daubers and paper
>wasps. It's time to get out the heavy duty wasp and hornet spray. To
>prevent them from building nests.
>
>Sorry, but they are not welcome visitors. I would like to be able to
>sit outside without worrying about flying things with painful stingers
>buzzing around my head. So yes, I use pesticides to prevent them from
>building. From what I've seen, looks like it needs to be earlier this year.
>
>Jill

One of my neighbor's hobby is collecting those nests... he's welcome
to all that appear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:13:31 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> > low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
>> > who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
>> > Janet US
>> >

>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>> boil is Frogmore Stew.

>I've heard of it but it's not a local dish here in the barely
>mid-south.
>
>OB food: Eating other stuff today but for tomorrow, I'll be
>having the nice bbq sandwiches (pulled pork with the vinegar
>dressing) aka eastern NC barbeque. Also on the soft white-bread
>buns will be an almost equal amount of good cole slaw. It's
>tradition here. One of my best meals along with salty chips or
>fries.
>
>YUM! :-D
>
>Maybe I'll take a blurry pic if anyone cares to see that.

You should try it. It has made itself known in the mainstream.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2018 11:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> snip

>>> low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
>>> who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>> boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>
>> Jill

> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
> heard the term before that I remember.
> Janet US

LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
gave it in the 17th century.

I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2018 2:08 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:13:31 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>>> boil is Frogmore Stew.

>> I've heard of it but it's not a local dish here in the barely
>> mid-south.

You're nowhere near the mid-south. That's a tri-state area comprised
of west TN, northeast Mississppi, and eastern Arkansas.
>> OB food: Eating other stuff today but for tomorrow, I'll be
>> having the nice bbq sandwiches (pulled pork with the vinegar
>> dressing) aka eastern NC barbeque. Also on the soft white-bread
>> buns will be an almost equal amount of good cole slaw. It's
>> tradition here. One of my best meals along with salty chips or
>> fries.
>>
>> YUM! :-D
>>
>> Maybe I'll take a blurry pic if anyone cares to see that.

> You should try it. It has made itself known in the mainstream.
> Janet US

The first time I heard about Frogmore Stew was right after my parents
moved down here and their mailing address was "Frogmore". They're not
the ones who told me. It was written up in Food & Wine magazine. One
of my brothers had a subscription. The first time I visited my folks
after they moved here they took me to a restaurant called 'Steamer'.
The tables have buckets in the middle for discarding the remnants of the
lowcountry boil. I've posted about Frogmore Stew before. In fact, I
think I may have mentioned it when Dave first posted about going on this
kayak trip to Tybee Island.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:12:39 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

snip

>>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>>> boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>> heard the term before that I remember.
>> Janet US
>>

>LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>gave it in the 17th century.
>
>I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>
>Jill

thanks. Nice piece of history.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 2:11 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:12:39 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>

> snip

>>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>>> heard the term before that I remember.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>> it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>> named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>> built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>> later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>> gave it in the 17th century.
>>
>> I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>> slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>>
>> Jill

> thanks. Nice piece of history.
> Janet US

There is a *lot* of history in this area. I love that about it. I
can just drive around and see it. There's a place nearby called 'The
Chapel of Ease'. It's allegedly haunted. It's on a remote road in
[former] Frogmore where the area plantation owners used to go to worship
because they couldn't get to a "real" church in Beaufort. They had to
take a boat to the mainland back then, ya' know. There weren't any bridges.

After the Civil War, the first school for freed blacks was opened on
Saint Helena Island. There are still classes held at and field trips to
The Penn Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_C...South_Carolina)

It's very interesting to be able to take a short drive and walk around
in these very historic places. Oh, and of course, there are interesting
things such as a nearly lost art. Gullah grandmothers weaving baskets
from marsh grasses and seeds, in the Gullah tradition. It's all
fascinating to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2018 11:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> snip

>>> low country and mid-south are geographically understood terms by those
>>> who do not live there. You may have heard of 'low country boil?'
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>> boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>
>> Jill

> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
> heard the term before that I remember.
> Janet US

LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
gave it in the 17th century.

I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.

Jill
==

Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
buried

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:38:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
>On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>>> boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>> heard the term before that I remember.
>> Janet US
>>

>LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>gave it in the 17th century.
>
>I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>
>Jill
>==
>
>Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>buried

I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 16:04:08 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:38:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>>> heard the term before that I remember.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>>it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>>named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>>built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>>later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>>gave it in the 17th century.
>>
>>I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>>slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>>
>>Jill
>>==
>>
>>Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>>buried

>I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
>for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.

Paris TX
New Amsterdam NY
Harlem NY
Brooklyn NY
Bagdad AZ
London AR

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 4:38 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:25:31 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Of course I have.Â* I'm not sure Gary has.Â* Around here, a lowcountry
>>> boil is Frogmore Stew.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> that's the one Â* Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?'Â* I've never
>> heard the term before that I remember.
>> Janet US
>>

> LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
> it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
> named Frogmore after one of the plantations.Â* When my parents first
> built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore.Â* It was
> later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
> gave it in the 17th century.
>
> I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
> slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the
> garden.
>
> Jill
> ==
>
> Frogmore here is an estate whereÂ* Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
> buried

I've no doubt the plantation was owned people people of English descent.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 6:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:38:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>>> heard the term before that I remember.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>> it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>> named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>> built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>> later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>> gave it in the 17th century.
>>
>> I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>> slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>>
>> Jill
>> ==
>>
>> Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>> buried

> I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
> for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
> Janet US

Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
estate in England.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2018 6:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:38:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> that's the one Do you know the origin of 'Frogmore?' I've never
>>> heard the term before that I remember.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>> it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>> named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>> built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>> later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>> gave it in the 17th century.
>>
>> I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>> slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the
>> garden.
>>
>> Jill
>> ==
>>
>> Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>> buried

> I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
> for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
> Janet US

Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
estate in England.

Jill

==

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 07:49:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/25/2018 6:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:38:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> LOL Frogmore is the name of a community (can't rightly call it a town,
>>> it's very small!) on Saint Helena Island which, after the Civil War was
>>> named Frogmore after one of the plantations. When my parents first
>>> built the house here in 1986 their mailing address was Frogmore. It was
>>> later changed by the post office back to the original name the Spanish
>>> gave it in the 17th century.
>>>
>>> I gather the recipe for the "boil" originated with slaves and former
>>> slaves using local seafood, homemade sausage and vegetables from the garden.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>>> buried

>> I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
>> for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
>> Janet US
>>

>Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
>estate in England.
>
>Jill

Thank you. You get an A+ on your report ;-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2018 8:20 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 07:49:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/25/2018 6:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
>>> for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
>> estate in England.
>>
>> Jill

> Thank you. You get an A+ on your report ;-)
> Janet US

Yay! I get a gold star. Other owners were also English.
Lieutenant Governor William Bull acquired the land in the 1700's. He
sold it to John and Elizabeth Stapleton, who built the "manor house" in
1810. The property was later acquired by Thomas Aston Coffin (whose
family owned several other plantations in the area). When the Civil War
broke out they fled in advance of Union soldiers, abandoning all their
holdings in Beaufort County. Somehow a couple of missionary women from
"up north" acquired the property in 1868.

Heck, Dataw was an indigo plantation. The ruins of one of the old tabby
manor houses (the property was owned by two brothers who were members of
the Sams family) and the outbuildings are still here. One brother made
a bad choice and built his tabby mansion on the other side of Dataw on
the water. Those ruins have been reclaimed by the sea.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2018 8:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Frogmore here is an estate whereÂ* Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>>> buried

>> I wonder if there is a connection.Â* Many places in the US are named
>> for places in Europe.Â* Check it out, Jill.
>> Janet US
>>

> Aha!Â* The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
> estate in England.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> )

Is John Grayson someone I should be familiar with? Or just another one
of the many landed gentry who moved to "the colonies" way back when?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> Frogmore here is an estate where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are
>>> buried

>> I wonder if there is a connection. Many places in the US are named
>> for places in Europe. Check it out, Jill.
>> Janet US
>>

> Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
> estate in England.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> )

Is John Grayson someone I should be familiar with? Or just another one
of the many landed gentry who moved to "the colonies" way back when?

Jill

==

Possibly this one?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...yson &f=false

Have you seen this:

The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: 1514-1861
By Lawrence Sanders Rowland, Alexander Moore, George C. Rogers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:01:26 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2018 8:20 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 07:49:29 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Aha! The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
>>> estate in England.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Thank you. You get an A+ on your report ;-)
>> Janet US
>>

>Yay! I get a gold star. Other owners were also English.
>Lieutenant Governor William Bull acquired the land in the 1700's. He
>sold it to John and Elizabeth Stapleton, who built the "manor house" in
>1810. The property was later acquired by Thomas Aston Coffin (whose
>family owned several other plantations in the area). When the Civil War
>broke out they fled in advance of Union soldiers, abandoning all their
>holdings in Beaufort County. Somehow a couple of missionary women from
>"up north" acquired the property in 1868.
>
>Heck, Dataw was an indigo plantation. The ruins of one of the old tabby
>manor houses (the property was owned by two brothers who were members of
>the Sams family) and the outbuildings are still here. One brother made
>a bad choice and built his tabby mansion on the other side of Dataw on
>the water. Those ruins have been reclaimed by the sea.
>
>Jill

tabby = oyster shells?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 4:37:13 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
> >penmart wrote:

> >> Allow your children to live their lives and
> >> you live yours... and perhaps they really don't want you around.

> >*nodding*

> Retired people following their children prevents them from becoming
> responsible adults or more likely are saying they don't trust them to
> become responsible adults... but the truth is that by doing so
> indicates absolutely that the parents are the ones who are very
> immature, are fearful that they won't be needed, and have NO LIFE of
> their own.
> I've been through that with my first marriage, my first wife's parents
> followed us to California where I had a great job with Lockheed. All
> they did is meddle and on a daily basis and in the end ruined our
> marriage. I'd come home from a hard day's work and there were the
> inlaws joining us for dinner, when all I wanted was a good **** and a
> scotch, in no particular order.
> After the divorce I ****ed my ex mother inlaw many times over many
> months and she agreed that her daughter was a fool for allowing her
> father to interfere, it was the FIL who was the culprit and despised
> me for taking away his daughter. Btw, the MIL was a great **** and
> gave much better head than her daughter... and told me I was much
> better in the sack than her obese husband... she said he never got her
> off and I did every time... Sylvia really enjoyed a younger man.
> Sylvia is long gone now but left me with fantastic memories, she was
> also a great friend, I miss my friend. The sex started because we
> were friends, about once a month I'd visit and we'd go out for
> Chinese. One time I asked if I could shower first and after two
> minutes she slipped into the shower with me, said she had needs and
> was unable to resist. I was 35, she was 55 and still very attractive.

Gardener by any chance? THE gardener? Lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2018 1:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:01:26 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/2018 8:20 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> Thank you. You get an A+ on your report ;-)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Yay! I get a gold star. Other owners were also English.
>> Lieutenant Governor William Bull acquired the land in the 1700's. He
>> sold it to John and Elizabeth Stapleton, who built the "manor house" in
>> 1810. The property was later acquired by Thomas Aston Coffin (whose
>> family owned several other plantations in the area). When the Civil War
>> broke out they fled in advance of Union soldiers, abandoning all their
>> holdings in Beaufort County. Somehow a couple of missionary women from
>> "up north" acquired the property in 1868.
>>
>> Heck, Dataw was an indigo plantation. The ruins of one of the old tabby
>> manor houses (the property was owned by two brothers who were members of
>> the Sams family) and the outbuildings are still here. One brother made
>> a bad choice and built his tabby mansion on the other side of Dataw on
>> the water. Those ruins have been reclaimed by the sea.
>>
>> Jill

> tabby = oyster shells?
> Janet US

Yes, tabby construction = oyster shells, sand and lime. The basic
ingredients in very old fashioned cement. They used the materials
available locally. That also dates back to the Spanish, Saint
Augustine, Florida.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2018 12:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I wonder if there is a connection.Â* Many places in the US are named
>>> for places in Europe.Â* Check it out, Jill.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Aha!Â* The plantation was named by a John Grayson after his ancestral
>> estate in England.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> )
>>

> Is John Grayson someone I should be familiar with?Â* Or just another one
> of the many landed gentry who moved to "the colonies" way back when?
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Possibly this one?
>
> https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...yson &f=false

Possibly, and thank you. There are apparently some ties.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:23:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2018 1:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:01:26 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Yay! I get a gold star. Other owners were also English.
>>> Lieutenant Governor William Bull acquired the land in the 1700's. He
>>> sold it to John and Elizabeth Stapleton, who built the "manor house" in
>>> 1810. The property was later acquired by Thomas Aston Coffin (whose
>>> family owned several other plantations in the area). When the Civil War
>>> broke out they fled in advance of Union soldiers, abandoning all their
>>> holdings in Beaufort County. Somehow a couple of missionary women from
>>> "up north" acquired the property in 1868.
>>>
>>> Heck, Dataw was an indigo plantation. The ruins of one of the old tabby
>>> manor houses (the property was owned by two brothers who were members of
>>> the Sams family) and the outbuildings are still here. One brother made
>>> a bad choice and built his tabby mansion on the other side of Dataw on
>>> the water. Those ruins have been reclaimed by the sea.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> tabby = oyster shells?
>> Janet US
>>

>Yes, tabby construction = oyster shells, sand and lime. The basic
>ingredients in very old fashioned cement. They used the materials
>available locally. That also dates back to the Spanish, Saint
>Augustine, Florida.
>
>Jill

This oyster shell thing has tickled my brain now about a movie with
maybe Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie where there is something
about oyster shells being used for railroad beds at the turn of the
century? What the heck was the name of that thing?
Arggh!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 10:54:08 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a bit
> > of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also came
> > with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

> Some places that look like a dump have great food if you don't look
> around too much.
>
> Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida. Our son is taking us
> to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.
>
> We also looked at houses yesterday. Nice places but not sure we are
> ready to make the move yet. It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
> text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
> driveway at home.

Bryan lived in FL for a couple years in the early 1990's. And when he moved back to STL MO he mentioned to me that he missed living in a place where water never occurred naturally in a solid state!

And I think about that whenever I'm scraping ice off my windshield!

Oh, and about the soft shelled crabs: every time I order them in a restaurant

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:01:29 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:23:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/26/2018 1:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> tabby = oyster shells?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Yes, tabby construction = oyster shells, sand and lime. The basic
>>ingredients in very old fashioned cement. They used the materials
>>available locally. That also dates back to the Spanish, Saint
>>Augustine, Florida.
>>
>>Jill

>This oyster shell thing has tickled my brain now about a movie with
>maybe Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie where there is something
>about oyster shells being used for railroad beds at the turn of the
>century? What the heck was the name of that thing?
>Arggh!
>Janet US

The Bone Collector
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2018 8:18 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:01:29 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:23:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, tabby construction = oyster shells, sand and lime. The basic
>>> ingredients in very old fashioned cement. They used the materials
>>> available locally. That also dates back to the Spanish, Saint
>>> Augustine, Florida.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> This oyster shell thing has tickled my brain now about a movie with
>> maybe Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie where there is something
>> about oyster shells being used for railroad beds at the turn of the
>> century? What the heck was the name of that thing?
>> Arggh!
>> Janet US

> The Bone Collector

Hmmmm, I didn't see the movie but I read the book by Jeffery Deaver.

Jill

New Orleans-Broiled Soft-Shell Crab Mark Midnite Recipes (moderated) 0 14-11-2006 04:28 AM
Soft Shell Crab with Vegetable Fricassee Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-07-2005 06:36 PM
Sauteed Soft Shell Crab Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2005 04:02 AM
OT- soft shell crab Musashi Sushi 3 14-05-2004 09:54 PM
Sauteed soft shell crab Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-04-2004 10:09 PM