Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft Shell Crab

Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a bit
of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious. The dinner also came
with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a bit
> of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also came
> with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

Some places that look like a dump have great food if you don't look
around too much.

Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida. Our son is taking us
to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.

We also looked at houses yesterday. Nice places but not sure we are
ready to make the move yet. It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
driveway at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a bit
>> of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also came
>> with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

> Some places that look like a dump have great food if you don't look
> around too much.
>
> Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida. Our son is taking us
> to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.
>
> We also looked at houses yesterday. Nice places but not sure we are
> ready to make the move yet. It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
> text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
> driveway at home.

What part of Florida are you looking in? When we were thinking about
buying in Florida, we took all our vacations over a couple of years to each
part we were interested in until we finally settled on the best location
for us. We are on the gulf coast near Sarasota. It will be a good place
to retire when the time comes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2018 12:31 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida. Our son is taking us
>> to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.
>>
>> We also looked at houses yesterday. Nice places but not sure we are
>> ready to make the move yet. It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
>> text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
>> driveway at home.
>>

> What part of Florida are you looking in? When we were thinking about
> buying in Florida, we took all our vacations over a couple of years to each
> part we were interested in until we finally settled on the best location
> for us. We are on the gulf coast near Sarasota. It will be a good place
> to retire when the time comes.

Not far from you. Son moved to Parrish about 18 months ago, daughter
moved to Bradenton about 9 months ago. Its a big decision to move and
everything that goes with it, but it is being considered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:31:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/20/2018 12:31 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida. Our son is taking us
>>> to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.
>>>
>>> We also looked at houses yesterday. Nice places but not sure we are
>>> ready to make the move yet. It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
>>> text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
>>> driveway at home.
>>>

>> What part of Florida are you looking in? When we were thinking about
>> buying in Florida, we took all our vacations over a couple of years to each
>> part we were interested in until we finally settled on the best location
>> for us. We are on the gulf coast near Sarasota. It will be a good place
>> to retire when the time comes.
>>

>Not far from you. Son moved to Parrish about 18 months ago, daughter
>moved to Bradenton about 9 months ago. Its a big decision to move and
>everything that goes with it, but it is being considered.

My advice is to consider all the positives and minuses very carefully.
We know of two retired couples who moved to Florida to be near their
adult children only to find out that within less than a year that due
to job transfers their children relocated to other states, one to CA
and one to NJ... and odds are their children will continue to
relocate. My next door neighbor's daughter recently married and moved
two states away, I advised them not to move to be near her as at the
daughter's age of 28 she will likely relocate several times.
Also it's very difficult for older people to make new meaningful
friendships... sure you can attend Bingo, join a Bridge Club, and take
up Golf but those people you meet will at best become minor
acquaintences who you share no history with. Your old friends will
not visit nor will you visit them.
I always advise people to never move to be near their adult children,
that is the very worst reason for retired people to relocate.
And Florida has a very transient population, most people rent their
home and so can pull up roots quickly and do.
Also Florida weather is far from ideal, tropical storms can wreak
havoc in an instant. At the least you'd be trading heating bills for
cooling bills so no savings there. The important element to consider
is that you know the devils you've got, you've no idea what devils
will meet you and it's not possible to undo such a decision and
return to where you were. Allow your children to live their lives and
you live yours... and perhaps they really don't want you around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a bit
> of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also came
> with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

Good that you could find softshell crab.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2018 11:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a
>> bit of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also
>> came with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

> Some places that look like a dump have great food if you don't look
> around too much.
>
> Nothing exciting where I am right now if Florida.Â* Our son is taking us
> to a seafood place tomorrow though so there is some hope.
>
> We also looked at houses yesterday.Â* Nice places but not sure we are
> ready to make the move yet.Â* It ws nice sitting in the sun and getting a
> text from my grandson that he is clearing 8" of new snow from my
> driveway at home.

Dinner tonight will be pan fried catfish fillets. Slightly spicy
coating. No hush puppies. Some crookneck squash, thinly sliced and
also tossed in finely ground cornmeal with spices.

So, you're pretending to look at houses. I can understand that!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:
>penmart wrote:
>>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Not far from you. Son moved to Parrish about 18 months ago, daughter
>>> moved to Bradenton about 9 months ago. Its a big decision to move and
>>> everything that goes with it, but it is being considered.

>> Allow your children to live their lives and
>> you live yours... and perhaps they really don't want you around.

>*nodding*

Retired people following their children prevents them from becoming
responsible adults or more likely are saying they don't trust them to
become responsible adults... but the truth is that by doing so
indicates absolutely that the parents are the ones who are very
immature, are fearful that they won't be needed, and have NO LIFE of
their own.
I've been through that with my first marriage, my first wife's parents
followed us to California where I had a great job with Lockheed. All
they did is meddle and on a daily basis and in the end ruined our
marriage. I'd come home from a hard day's work and there were the
inlaws joining us for dinner, when all I wanted was a good **** and a
scotch, in no particular order.
After the divorce I ****ed my ex mother inlaw many times over many
months and she agreed that her daughter was a fool for allowing her
father to interfere, it was the FIL who was the culprit and despised
me for taking away his daughter. Btw, the MIL was a great **** and
gave much better head than her daughter... and told me I was much
better in the sack than her obese husband... she said he never got her
off and I did every time... Sylvia really enjoyed a younger man.
Sylvia is long gone now but left me with fantastic memories, she was
also a great friend, I miss my friend. The sex started because we
were friends, about once a month I'd visit and we'd go out for
Chinese. One time I asked if I could shower first and after two
minutes she slipped into the shower with me, said she had needs and
was unable to resist. I was 35, she was 55 and still very attractive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-21 11:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a
>> bit of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner also
>> came with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

> Good that you could find softshell crab.

The soft shell crab was every bit as good as I had expected they would
be. My wife liked it too. Last night we went to another local place and
I had shrimp tacos, also delicious. It was interesting to see that the
shrimp tacos were $2 cheaper than the fish tacos, maybe because the fish
was mahi mahi.

We went to the Savannah Wild Life Preserve and I slipped a little
further into SC to get to a store and sw aa sign for Beaufort.... sent a
mental hello to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2018 11:33 AM, wrote:

> My advice is to consider all the positives and minuses very carefully.
> We know of two retired couples who moved to Florida to be near their
> adult children only to find out that within less than a year that due
> to job transfers their children relocated to other states, one to CA
> and one to NJ... and odds are their children will continue to
> relocate.

My daughter has lived in 7 states at least 15 different addresses so I'm
not depending on her being here in the future.

> I always advise people to never move to be near their adult children,
> that is the very worst reason for retired people to relocate.

Right, not the reason we are considering a move.

> Also Florida weather is far from ideal, tropical storms can wreak
> havoc in an instant. At the least you'd be trading heating bills for
> cooling bills so no savings there. The important element to consider
> is that you know the devils you've got, you've no idea what devils
> will meet you and it's not possible to undo such a decision and
> return to where you were.

Very difficult for my wife to go out in the winter. Even though summer
is very hot, she can take that over the cold.

Allow your children to live their lives and
> you live yours... and perhaps they really don't want you around.

They do live theirs and they do want us around. They can survive well
without us and have for many years.

It does not snow here either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2018 5:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-21 11:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/19/2018 7:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Struck that of the foods to try down here list. The restaurant was a
>>> bit of a dump but the soft shell crab was delicious.Â*Â* The dinner
>>> also came with hush puppies, another first. They were okay.

>> Good that you could find softshell crab.

> The soft shell crab was every bit as good as I had expected they would
> be.Â* My wife liked it too. Last night we went to another local place and
> I had shrimp tacos, also delicious. It was interesting to see that the
> shrimp tacos were $2 cheaper than the fish tacos, maybe because the fish
> was mahi mahi.
>

> We went to the Savannah Wild Life Preserve and I slipped a little
> further into SC to get to a store and sw aa sign for Beaufort.... sent a
> mental hello to you.

Mental hello right back atcha! You're stocking up on grits, right?
I'm glad the weather is cooperating.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2018 10:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> If we do move, it is not following if they want us to move so they can
> help us if needed.Â* We are looking at the choice of sunshine over snow.

That's the reason most people move to warmer climates. Just so happens
your adult son lives in Florida.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:15:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/21/2018 4:37 PM, wrote:
>

>> Retired people following their children prevents them from becoming
>> responsible adults or more likely are saying they don't trust them to
>> become responsible adults... but the truth is that by doing so
>> indicates absolutely that the parents are the ones who are very
>> immature, are fearful that they won't be needed, and have NO LIFE of
>> their own.

>Our kids are 48 and 50 and have been responsible for their own lives for
>a long time. We don't interfere with their choices, right or wrong.
>They have done their share of both. Both have kids of their own too,
>six kids living in four different states, all on their own too.
>
>If we do move, it is not following if they want us to move so they can
>help us if needed. We are looking at the choice of sunshine over snow.

Your original post sounded like you couldn't bear to be far from your
kids... if your goal was a warmer clime it would have been best you
didn't mention your kids in the equation. Still all my other points
are true. I strongly suggest you don't sell your house, try renting
for a year in Florida, probably two years.
Most older people in this area are "snow birds", they keep their home
here and spend winter in warmer climes in rentals, and then eventually
return north and never go south again.
Moving south should never be contingent upon selling the house you've
owned and lived in most of your adult life.... selling your house
should be the last thing you do, in fact I strongly suggest you never
entertain the idea of selling it. In fact the only way you should
ever buy a home in Florida is if you can afford to own both homes. If
you cannot afford to keep your present home and rent or buy in Florida
erase Disneyland from your mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:27:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Very difficult for my wife to go out in the winter. Even though summer
>is very hot, she can take that over the cold.

I strongly suggest you rent a condo in FL during winter. FL rent is
rather inexpensve, as is FL airfare. If you need to drive obtain a FL
licence and save a bundle on ins.
I don't know you to be a boating person so I have no idea what you
will do there other than attend the all you can eat joints, feed
gators, and rot. Were you a thirty year old athletic type you may
enjoy FL, otherwise all you will do is turn up the AC, watch
tv, eat till you bust, and rot. On the plus side FL boasts a lot of
very good MDs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> I strongly suggest you rent a condo in FL during winter. FL rent is
> rather inexpensve, as is FL airfare. If you need to drive obtain a FL
> licence and save a bundle on ins.
> I don't know you to be a boating person so I have no idea what you
> will do there other than attend the all you can eat joints, feed
> gators, and rot. Were you a thirty year old athletic type you may
> enjoy FL, otherwise all you will do is turn up the AC, watch
> tv, eat till you bust, and rot. On the plus side FL boasts a lot of
> very good MDs.

The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
anybody, some here may not be as certain.
In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
things.
2 cents.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:22:02 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> I strongly suggest you rent a condo in FL during winter. FL rent is
>> rather inexpensve, as is FL airfare. If you need to drive obtain a FL
>> licence and save a bundle on ins.
>> I don't know you to be a boating person so I have no idea what you
>> will do there other than attend the all you can eat joints, feed
>> gators, and rot. Were you a thirty year old athletic type you may
>> enjoy FL, otherwise all you will do is turn up the AC, watch
>> tv, eat till you bust, and rot. On the plus side FL boasts a lot of
>> very good MDs.

>The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>things.
>2 cents.
>
>leo

I'm in absolute agreement on all points... I also enjoy the four
seasons.... a little snow not only doesn't bother me... got 6" this
evening of pure virgin white... gorgeous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 21:29:05 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:22:02 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
> wrote:
>>
>>> I strongly suggest you rent a condo in FL during winter. FL rent is
>>> rather inexpensve, as is FL airfare. If you need to drive obtain a FL
>>> licence and save a bundle on ins.
>>> I don't know you to be a boating person so I have no idea what you
>>> will do there other than attend the all you can eat joints, feed
>>> gators, and rot. Were you a thirty year old athletic type you may
>>> enjoy FL, otherwise all you will do is turn up the AC, watch
>>> tv, eat till you bust, and rot. On the plus side FL boasts a lot of
>>> very good MDs.

>>The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>>exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>>experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>>anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>>In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>>unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>>elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>>unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>>Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>>I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>>things.
>>2 cents.
>>
>>leo

>I'm in absolute agreement on all points... I also enjoy the four
>seasons.... a little snow not only doesn't bother me... got 6" this
>evening of pure virgin white... gorgeous!

It depends what the four seasons are. If they are four different
degrees of shitty weather, I'd rather have sunny and beautiful all
year around. And lo and behold, that's exactly what I have!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:35:50 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 21:29:05 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:22:02 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>>>The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>>>exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>>>experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>>>anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>>>In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>>>unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>>>elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>>>unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>>>Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>>>I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>>>things.
>>>2 cents.
>>>
>>>leo

>>I'm in absolute agreement on all points... I also enjoy the four
>>seasons.... a little snow not only doesn't bother me... got 6" this
>>evening of pure virgin white... gorgeous!

>It depends what the four seasons are. If they are four different
>degrees of shitty weather, I'd rather have sunny and beautiful all
>year around. And lo and behold, that's exactly what I have!

Claiming you have perfect sunny weather every day says you live on a
different planet in a different solar system or you are a ****ing
LIAR! What a Faggot Bruthie is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
> things.
> 2 cents.
>
> leo

One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live. I
know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
are here is just an incidental bonus.

I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
mortgage was involved. I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
not completed my research. Not something to rush into.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I'm in absolute agreement on all points... I also enjoy the four
>>>seasons.... a little snow not only doesn't bother me... got 6" this
>>>evening of pure virgin white... gorgeous!

>>It depends what the four seasons are. If they are four different
>>degrees of shitty weather, I'd rather have sunny and beautiful all
>>year around. And lo and behold, that's exactly what I have!

>Claiming you have perfect sunny weather every day says you live on a
>different planet in a different solar system or you are a ****ing
>LIAR! What a Faggot Bruthie is.

Not every day. It's actually rainy today. But most days, all through
the year.

Do you ever not think of *** men?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live.

That's a big one. No stairs. Were I politically connected, I'd have all
my neighbors relocated for the new hospital I created next door. You
know, just in case.

[ObFood] Southerners like red beans and rice. I'm a Westerner, so I
tried precooked white rice in a soupy, meaty hambone 'n pintos
concoction. My wife says it's a home run, and that's all that counts.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>

>> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>> things.
>> 2 cents.
>>
>> leo
>>

> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live. I
> know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
> are here is just an incidental bonus.
>
> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
> mortgage was involved. I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
> not completed my research. Not something to rush into.

Although we arent retired yet, from my experience and that of my parents
and close extended family, Id say to expect the same lifestyle in FL (or
anywhere) that you enjoy at home. We have made friends with multiple
neighbors in FL, which is more than we can say for our neighbors back home
in MN. When we are there, we are never at a loss for things to do€”there is
great theatre and museums, state parks abound, and although our house is
right on the water the beach is a short drive and we take daily walks
there. And that view of the sunset over the bay I can see while cooking
dinner makes it all worthwhile! Absolutely incredible. We thoroughly
enjoy it, and look forward to the day we can be there permanently. My
parents rented a home in FL a few years ago, and they were out and about
far more than they are back home. Every time I called them, they were out
golfing! You have to know your own personality and what your motives are
for the move. Florida isnt just old farts sitting at home getting fat
and sick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2018 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
> mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
> not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

My brother is considering moving back to the US from Switzerland and
he and his wife are eyeing Florida. He asked me for advice and
the little I could give him was perhaps to rent before committing to
the area and also to research homeowners insurance rates, I believe
they were astronomical at some point. The favorable tax situation might
balance that out for you.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-22 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>

>> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>> things.
>> 2 cents.
>>
>> leo
>>

> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live.* I
> know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
> are here is just an incidental bonus.
>
> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
> mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
> not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

My closest friends moved to the coast and although I was tempted, I
decided to stay put as both of my sons and families were nearby. Now one
son has moved to BC and so that excuse isn't valid any more.
However, living alone, the thought of moving or downsizing is horrifying
after seeing what friends went through when they moved house.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live.

That's precisely why we chose this house for retirement 15 years ago,
2,000 sq ft on one floor... only flight of stairs is for the full
basement, or full attic that we don't use. Our laundry room is on the
main floor... we actually have a second laundry room in the basement
but that commercial sized machine is only used occasionally for large
items like comforters.. was left by the last people who used it for
farm clothes.
I must admit that is wasn't easy locating a large ranch in the
northeast (we looked for a whole year), the majority of ranch homes
were small cabins... we enjoy our own space, we each have our own
office/crafts room.
We entertained retiring to Florida but we know too many couples who
have and then wished they didn't but it became too unaffordable to
move back... prices of homes in the northeast have constantly risen
while homes in Florida have depreciated.
This area has a very large population of "snowbirds", all admit that
they were very wise to keep their home in the Northeast and rent in
Florida for the few winter months... renting in Florida costs
relatively little. After ten years or so most decided that they had
enough Florida and came home full time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:38:19 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>

>>> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>>> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>>> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>>> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>>> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>>> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>>> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>>> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>>> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>>> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>>> things.
>>> 2 cents.
>>>
>>> leo
>>>

>> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live. I
>> know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
>> are here is just an incidental bonus.
>>
>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
>> mortgage was involved. I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
>> not completed my research. Not something to rush into.
>>

>Although we aren’t retired yet, from my experience and that of my parents
>and close extended family, I’d say to expect the same lifestyle in FL (or
>anywhere) that you enjoy at home. We have made friends with multiple
>neighbors in FL, which is more than we can say for our neighbors back home
>in MN. When we are there, we are never at a loss for things to do—there is
>great theatre and museums, state parks abound, and although our house is
>right on the water the beach is a short drive and we take daily walks
>there. And that view of the sunset over the bay I can see while cooking
>dinner makes it all worthwhile! Absolutely incredible. We thoroughly
>enjoy it, and look forward to the day we can be there permanently. My
>parents rented a home in FL a few years ago, and they were out and about
>far more than they are back home. Every time I called them, they were out
>golfing! You have to know your own personality and what your motives are
>for the move. Florida isn’t just old farts sitting at home getting fat
>and sick.

Works for you as you are very likely not yet in the age bracket of Ed
and his wife, plus he relates that she is not well. In most
situations when not in good health it matters not where one lives, and
for the elderly and infirm especially Florida summers are awful...
which is why I recommend renting a Florida home for the few winter
months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-23 9:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
>> mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses but
>> I've not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

> My brother is considering moving back to the US from Switzerland and
> he and his wife are eyeing Florida.* He asked me for advice and
> the little I could give him was perhaps to rent before committing to
> the area and also to research homeowners insurance rates, I believe
> they were astronomical at some point.* The favorable tax situation might
> balance that out for you.

Just make sure he is ready for the oppressive heat of summer. I am in
Georgia at the moment and we have had some hot days.... and it is only
February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:25:54 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-02-22 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>

>>> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>>> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>>> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>>> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>>> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>>> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>>> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>>> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>>> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>>> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>>> things.
>>> 2 cents.
>>>
>>> leo
>>>

>> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live.* I
>> know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
>> are here is just an incidental bonus.
>>
>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
>> mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
>> not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

>My closest friends moved to the coast and although I was tempted, I
>decided to stay put as both of my sons and families were nearby. Now one
>son has moved to BC and so that excuse isn't valid any more.
>However, living alone, the thought of moving or downsizing is horrifying
>after seeing what friends went through when they moved house.
>Graham

Graham, you need a girlfriend. I hope I'm never faced with that
predicament but if so I'd definitely find a new woman and quickly....
men don't last long living all alone. My wife and I have had the
discussion, we both agreed that if one of us is gone the smartest
thing to do is for the surviver to find a new partner... life is too
short to live isolated... there'll be plenty of time for aloneness in
the grave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message news
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:25:54 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-02-22 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/22/2018 9:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>

>>> The posts you have made concerning a big retirement move resonate
>>> exactly with me. But that's just us and our own beliefs and
>>> experiences. Although Ed knows his life and options better than
>>> anybody, some here may not be as certain.
>>> In general, moving in with, or close to, extended family is a poor idea
>>> unless you have run out of options. I have intimate knowledge of
>>> elderly individuals and married couples who have trapped themselves in
>>> unhappy circumstances during their declining years by a radical move.
>>> Tons of money certainly would alleviate that by giving escape options.
>>> I like four distinct seasons and no mortgage which molds how I look at
>>> things.
>>> 2 cents.
>>>
>>> leo
>>>

>> One factor is moving to a one floor house no matter where we live. I
>> know a few people that have moved to this area so the fact that my kids
>> are here is just an incidental bonus.
>>
>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
>> mortgage was involved. I could end up with cash after expenses but I've
>> not completed my research. Not something to rush into.

>My closest friends moved to the coast and although I was tempted, I
>decided to stay put as both of my sons and families were nearby. Now one
>son has moved to BC and so that excuse isn't valid any more.
>However, living alone, the thought of moving or downsizing is horrifying
>after seeing what friends went through when they moved house.
>Graham

Graham, you need a girlfriend. I hope I'm never faced with that
predicament but if so I'd definitely find a new woman and quickly....
men don't last long living all alone. My wife and I have had the
discussion, we both agreed that if one of us is gone the smartest
thing to do is for the surviver to find a new partner... life is too
short to live isolated... there'll be plenty of time for aloneness in
the grave.

==

Hmmm. If my D. was gone, there is no way I could replace him

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 9:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move if
>> mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses but
>> I've not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

> My brother is considering moving back to the US from Switzerland and
> he and his wife are eyeing Florida.* He asked me for advice and
> the little I could give him was perhaps to rent before committing to
> the area and also to research homeowners insurance rates, I believe
> they were astronomical at some point.* The favorable tax situation might
> balance that out for you.
>
> nancy

If you're anywhere along the coast (I realize not everything in Florida
is) you're going to want a wind & hail rider and a flood policy in
addition to standard homeowners coverage. Given the hurricanes of the
last few years (even in the northeast), rates in coastal areas are very
high.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 3:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-23 9:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> My brother is considering moving back to the US from Switzerland and
>> he and his wife are eyeing Florida.* He asked me for advice and
>> the little I could give him was perhaps to rent before committing to
>> the area and also to research homeowners insurance rates, I believe
>> they were astronomical at some point.* The favorable tax situation might
>> balance that out for you.

> Just make sure he is ready for the oppressive heat of summer.* I am in
> Georgia at the moment and we have had some hot days.... and it is only
> February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.

It was in the 80s all the way up here in NJ.

I know a lot of people like the hot weather and Florida would be
fine with them, it's just not for me. We'll be there in a week
and I'm hoping the temps are more normal.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 3:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-23 9:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 2/22/2018 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be content with three seasons now and would not consider a move
>>> if mortgage was involved.* I could end up with cash after expenses
>>> but I've not completed my research.* Not something to rush into.

>> My brother is considering moving back to the US from Switzerland and
>> he and his wife are eyeing Florida.* He asked me for advice and
>> the little I could give him was perhaps to rent before committing to
>> the area and also to research homeowners insurance rates, I believe
>> they were astronomical at some point.* The favorable tax situation might
>> balance that out for you.
>>

> Just make sure he is ready for the oppressive heat of summer.* I am in
> Georgia at the moment and we have had some hot days.... and it is only
> February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.

The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.
Must be great for kayaking, though! It's been about 20 degrees
higher than usual for the last week. (This does not bode well for
summer.) In the summer the heat can be very oppressive. You know that
saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."? I'm here to tell you,
it's *both*. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-23 6:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/23/2018 3:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.

> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.
> *Must be great for kayaking, though! * It's been about 20 degrees
> higher than usual for the last week.* (This does not bode well for
> summer.)* In the summer the heat can be very oppressive.* You know that
> saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."?* I'm here to tell you,
> it's *both*. LOL

I am not complaining, but let's just say it has been hot. I would have
been worn shorts today but I have discovered biting gnats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 3:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Just make sure he is ready for the oppressive heat of summer.* I am in
> Georgia at the moment and we have had some hot days.... and it is only
> February. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the summer.

This is actually June weather. When were were here last May it was not
this warm. Temps are running about 15 degrees above normal. July and
August are very hot though, stay inside with the A C during the day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2018 7:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am not complaining, but let's just say it has been hot. I would have
> been worn shorts today but I have discovered biting gnats.

I've been in shorts nad T=shirts for the past 15 days. I will probably
change Sunday when we are in NJ for a day or two on the way home to 30
degrees.

New Orleans-Broiled Soft-Shell Crab Mark Midnite Recipes (moderated) 0 14-11-2006 03:28 AM
Soft Shell Crab with Vegetable Fricassee Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-07-2005 06:36 PM
Sauteed Soft Shell Crab Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2005 04:02 AM
OT- soft shell crab Musashi Sushi 3 14-05-2004 09:54 PM
Sauteed soft shell crab Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-04-2004 10:09 PM