Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default soft Hawaiian bread rolls

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:

> In this state dogs generally end up kidnapped for pit bull ring fights.
>
> Potbellied piggies fare worse:
>
> http://itsinhumane.org/data/RBertola.html

I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here. I met up with a wild pig in our parking lot. A wild pig can get aggressive so we both stood there sizing each other up.

My guess is that it was just a young pig that wanted a hand out but I don't have much experience with pigs on the same side of the fence that I'm on to let my guard down. It seems like a hefty fine for a guy that was trying to protect his kin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I guess that is my awesome opinion too ... ;p

I've made some Hawaiian sweet bread. I like to call it "bread."

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ddkws7SppiKtOF
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.kingshawaiian.com/products/rolls-12-pack/

>>> I only ever saw it in a hollowed out sourdough boule. That was quite
>>> good. The hollowed out pieces were often alongside to be used for
>>> dipping.
>>> Janet US

>> I've no idea what yoose mean by 'spinach dip'... is it hot/cold... I
>> love Automat style creamed spinach.
>> http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m010702.htm
>>

>Creamed spinach with Parmesan is *not* the same thing as spinach dip.
>The spinach dip I like is warm.
>
>Jill

Okay, it's warm... but what is spinach dip? I would have thought
spinach dip is cold, spinach mixed with sour cream for dipping chips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 13:43:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
>>
>> In this state dogs generally end up kidnapped for pit bull ring fights.
>>
>> Potbellied piggies fare worse:
>>
>> http://itsinhumane.org/data/RBertola.html

>I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here.

So why haven't you been shot?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 2:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
>>
>> In this state dogs generally end up kidnapped for pit bull ring fights.
>>
>> Potbellied piggies fare worse:
>>
>> http://itsinhumane.org/data/RBertola.html

> I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here. I met up with a wild pig in our parking lot. A wild pig can get aggressive so we both stood there sizing each other up.
>
> My guess is that it was just a young pig that wanted a hand out but I don't have much experience with pigs on the same side of the fence that I'm on to let my guard down. It seems like a hefty fine for a guy that was trying to protect his kin.

I have learned when desert camping to never ever mess with the Javalinas.

They are as humorless as a house cat.

The guy that ate this is now in the big house for rape and murder.

I suppose (gallows humor) it's at least good he didn't cook the girl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 2:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I guess that is my awesome opinion too ... ;p

> I've made some Hawaiian sweet bread. I like to call it "bread."
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ddkws7SppiKtOF

Those are some lovely loafs...

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 3:05 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 13:43:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
>>>
>>> In this state dogs generally end up kidnapped for pit bull ring fights.
>>>
>>> Potbellied piggies fare worse:

http://itsinhumane.org/data/RBertola.html

>> I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here.

> So why haven't you been shot?

Do you have to be so negative all the time?

I want the real Brooklyn1 back.

:-/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-05 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The Filipinos used to serve dog at parties back in the old days. The
> younger generation raised in America probably won't do that anymore.
> I suspect that the old joke of them preferring black dog is based on
> some fact. I can't say if eating dog is illegal in Hawaii but
> stealing a dog certainly is. Killing a dog in certain ways is
> probably illegal too.

I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
somehow improves the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:07:59 PM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
> On 2/5/2018 2:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
> >>
> >> In this state dogs generally end up kidnapped for pit bull ring fights.
> >>
> >> Potbellied piggies fare worse:
> >>
> >> http://itsinhumane.org/data/RBertola.html

> > I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here. I met up with a wild pig in our parking lot. A wild pig can get aggressive so we both stood there sizing each other up.
> >
> > My guess is that it was just a young pig that wanted a hand out but I don't have much experience with pigs on the same side of the fence that I'm on to let my guard down. It seems like a hefty fine for a guy that was trying to protect his kin.
> >

> I have learned when desert camping to never ever mess with the Javalinas.
>
> They are as humorless as a house cat.
>
> The guy that ate this is now in the big house for rape and murder.
>
> I suppose (gallows humor) it's at least good he didn't cook the girl.

I would wait for the pig to attack first before using deadly force. It's the fair thing to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:18:42 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
> enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
> somehow improves the taste.

That sounds like fake info. Not the part about eating dogs - the part about tormenting the dog to make it taste better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 3:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-05 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The Filipinos used to serve dog at parties back in the old days. The
>> younger generation raised in America probably won't do that anymore.
>> I suspect that the old joke of them preferring black dog is based on
>> some fact. I can't say if eating dog is illegal in Hawaii but
>> stealing a dog certainly is. Killing a dog in certain ways is
>> probably illegal too.
>>

> I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
> enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
> somehow improves the taste.

Very RFC of them I say...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 3:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:07:59 PM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:

>>> I sure wouldn't let a pet pig run around unescorted in Hawaii. Pig hunting is a popular sport around here. I met up with a wild pig in our parking lot. A wild pig can get aggressive so we both stood there sizing each other up.
>>>
>>> My guess is that it was just a young pig that wanted a hand out but I don't have much experience with pigs on the same side of the fence that I'm on to let my guard down. It seems like a hefty fine for a guy that was trying to protect his kin.
>>>

>> I have learned when desert camping to never ever mess with the Javalinas.
>>
>> They are as humorless as a house cat.
>>
>> The guy that ate this is now in the big house for rape and murder.
>>
>> I suppose (gallows humor) it's at least good he didn't cook the girl.

> I would wait for the pig to attack first before using deadly force. It's the fair thing to do.

I can see that as a reasonable strategy.

Pigs are low to the ground anyway so only ankles and feet are in peril.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2018 3:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:18:42 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
>> enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
>> somehow improves the taste.

> That sounds like fake info. Not the part about eating dogs - the part about tormenting the dog to make it taste better.

Sadly it appears to be true:

https://awionline.org/dogmeat

Premeditated Torture

Akin to the abysmal manner in which pigs and chickens are raised for
meat in factory farms, dogs raised for meat in South Korea endure
miserable living conditions. From birth to slaughter, these dogs are
kept in cramped rusty, cages stacked on top of each other. The method of
slaughter is usually extremely (and even intentionally) brutal, and the
dogs are often butchered in full view of the others.

Most horrifically€”due to a traditional belief that high adrenaline
levels will produce tender meat and increase the supposed health
benefits€”dogs who are killed may be intentionally subjected to extreme
fear and suffering and be killed via bludgeoning, hanging, or
electrocution. At the open-air markets, dogs are often electrocuted and
their necks are broken€”all in plain sight to passers-by and the other dogs.
You Can Make a Difference for Korean Dogs

Many South Korean animal advocates see their nations hosting of the
2018 Winter Olympics as an opportunity to focus international light on
the practice, and in so doing finally bring an end to the deplorable dog
meat trade.

Please send letters to the South Korean president and ambassador to the
United States urging South Korea to stop killing dogs for human
consumption. You can send the letter to the addresses listed below or
through the Compassion Index by clicking here. On the Compassion Index,
you will find suggested talking points to include in your letter.

His Excellency Cho Yoon-je
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
2450 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
TEL: 202-939-5600
FAX: 202-797-0595

President Moon Jae-in
1 Cheong Wa Dae Road
Seoul 110-820
Republic of Korea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-05 5:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:18:42 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not
>> bad enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The
>> abuse somehow improves the taste.

> That sounds like fake info. Not the part about eating dogs - the part
> about tormenting the dog to make it taste better.

It came from my niece who lived there for a few years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:20:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-02-05 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The Filipinos used to serve dog at parties back in the old days. The
>> younger generation raised in America probably won't do that anymore.
>> I suspect that the old joke of them preferring black dog is based on
>> some fact. I can't say if eating dog is illegal in Hawaii but
>> stealing a dog certainly is. Killing a dog in certain ways is
>> probably illegal too.
>>

>I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
>enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
>somehow improves the taste.

Asians don't have a good track record when it comes to the treament of
animals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 10:39:58 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:20:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2018-02-05 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> The Filipinos used to serve dog at parties back in the old days. The
>>> younger generation raised in America probably won't do that anymore.
>>> I suspect that the old joke of them preferring black dog is based on
>>> some fact. I can't say if eating dog is illegal in Hawaii but
>>> stealing a dog certainly is. Killing a dog in certain ways is
>>> probably illegal too.
>>>

>>I understand that in Korea, dog is frequently eaten. If that is not bad
>>enough, they like to torment the dog before killing it. The abuse
>>somehow improves the taste.

>Asians don't have a good track record when it comes to the treament of
>animals.

Or people, for that matter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I guess that is my awesome opinion too ... ;p

I've made some Hawaiian sweet bread. I like to call it "bread."

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ddkws7SppiKtOF

==

That looks lovely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:59:36 PM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:

> Sadly it appears to be true:
>
> https://awionline.org/dogmeat
>

> Premeditated Torture
>
> Akin to the abysmal manner in which pigs and chickens are raised for
> meat in factory farms, dogs raised for meat in South Korea endure
> miserable living conditions. From birth to slaughter, these dogs are
> kept in cramped rusty, cages stacked on top of each other. The method of
> slaughter is usually extremely (and even intentionally) brutal, and the
> dogs are often butchered in full view of the others.
>
> Most horrifically€”due to a traditional belief that high adrenaline
> levels will produce tender meat and increase the supposed health
> benefits€”dogs who are killed may be intentionally subjected to extreme
> fear and suffering and be killed via bludgeoning, hanging, or
> electrocution. At the open-air markets, dogs are often electrocuted and
> their necks are broken€”all in plain sight to passers-by and the other dogs.
> You Can Make a Difference for Korean Dogs
>
> Many South Korean animal advocates see their nations hosting of the
> 2018 Winter Olympics as an opportunity to focus international light on
> the practice, and in so doing finally bring an end to the deplorable dog
> meat trade.
>
> Please send letters to the South Korean president and ambassador to the
> United States urging South Korea to stop killing dogs for human
> consumption. You can send the letter to the addresses listed below or
> through the Compassion Index by clicking here. On the Compassion Index,
> you will find suggested talking points to include in your letter.
>
> His Excellency Cho Yoon-je
> Embassy of the Republic of Korea
> 2450 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
> Washington, DC 20008
> TEL: 202-939-5600
> FAX: 202-797-0595
>
> President Moon Jae-in
> 1 Cheong Wa Dae Road
> Seoul 110-820
> Republic of Korea

Hopefully, this practice can be stopped. Thanks for the info.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:31:26 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It came from my niece who lived there for a few years.

Thanks for setting me straight in this matter. That's not good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I guess that is my awesome opinion too ... ;p

> I've made some Hawaiian sweet bread. I like to call it "bread."
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ddkws7SppiKtOF
>
> ==
>
> That looks lovely!

It does look good!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2018 3:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:59:36 PM UTC-10, casa de suspiros wrote:
>>

>> Sadly it appears to be true:
>>
>> https://awionline.org/dogmeat
>>

>> Premeditated Torture
>>
>> Akin to the abysmal manner in which pigs and chickens are raised for
>> meat in factory farms, dogs raised for meat in South Korea endure
>> miserable living conditions. From birth to slaughter, these dogs are
>> kept in cramped rusty, cages stacked on top of each other. The method of
>> slaughter is usually extremely (and even intentionally) brutal, and the
>> dogs are often butchered in full view of the others.
>>
>> Most horrifically€”due to a traditional belief that high adrenaline
>> levels will produce tender meat and increase the supposed health
>> benefits€”dogs who are killed may be intentionally subjected to extreme
>> fear and suffering and be killed via bludgeoning, hanging, or
>> electrocution. At the open-air markets, dogs are often electrocuted and
>> their necks are broken€”all in plain sight to passers-by and the other dogs.
>> You Can Make a Difference for Korean Dogs
>>
>> Many South Korean animal advocates see their nations hosting of the
>> 2018 Winter Olympics as an opportunity to focus international light on
>> the practice, and in so doing finally bring an end to the deplorable dog
>> meat trade.
>>
>> Please send letters to the South Korean president and ambassador to the
>> United States urging South Korea to stop killing dogs for human
>> consumption. You can send the letter to the addresses listed below or
>> through the Compassion Index by clicking here. On the Compassion Index,
>> you will find suggested talking points to include in your letter.
>>
>> His Excellency Cho Yoon-je
>> Embassy of the Republic of Korea
>> 2450 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
>> Washington, DC 20008
>> TEL: 202-939-5600
>> FAX: 202-797-0595
>>
>> President Moon Jae-in
>> 1 Cheong Wa Dae Road
>> Seoul 110-820
>> Republic of Korea

> Hopefully, this practice can be stopped. Thanks for the info.

Yer welcome.

I was distressed to learn this is not urban myth stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-09 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/5/2018 2:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

different from what you think of when you think of spinach).

>> I have been thinking about trying to make some creamed spinach.Â* There
>> is enough other stuff there to make it good.

> It wouldn't be a bad thing to try just to see if there might be a way
> you like spinach.Â* If you still don't, no biggie.Â* It doesn't have to be
> at all like that stuff the cartoon character ate out of a can.

I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs. I used
three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
butter. I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
just set. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2018 7:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-09 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/5/2018 2:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Â*different from what you think of when you think of spinach).
>>>>

>>> I have been thinking about trying to make some creamed spinach.
>>> There is enough other stuff there to make it good.

>> It wouldn't be a bad thing to try just to see if there might be a way
>> you like spinach.Â* If you still don't, no biggie.Â* It doesn't have to
>> be at all like that stuff the cartoon character ate out of a can.

> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs.Â* I used
> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
> butter.Â* I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
> just set.Â* It was delicious.

Fantastic!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2018 7:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-09 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/5/2018 2:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Â*different from what you think of when you think of spinach).
>>>>

>>> I have been thinking about trying to make some creamed spinach.
>>> There is enough other stuff there to make it good.

>> It wouldn't be a bad thing to try just to see if there might be a way
>> you like spinach.Â* If you still don't, no biggie.Â* It doesn't have to
>> be at all like that stuff the cartoon character ate out of a can.

> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs.Â* I used
> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
> butter.Â* I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
> just set.Â* It was delicious.

There ya' go! I like an omelet with spinach and brie. Of course there
was also bacon involved

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:10:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/9/2018 7:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-02-09 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> On 2/5/2018 2:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> *different from what you think of when you think of spinach).

>>> It wouldn't be a bad thing to try just to see if there might be a way
>>> you like spinach.* If you still don't, no biggie.* It doesn't have to
>>> be at all like that stuff the cartoon character ate out of a can.

>> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs.* I used
>> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
>> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
>> butter.* I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
>> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
>> just set.* It was delicious.
>>

>There ya' go! I like an omelet with spinach and brie. Of course there
>was also a dead animal involved

Of course. How could there not be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs. I used
> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
> butter. I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
> just set. It was delicious.

6 spinach leaves chopped up and wilted down? ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2018 6:28 PM, Brucce wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:10:14 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Â*different from what you think of when you think of spinach).

>>> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs.Â* I used
>>> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
>>> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
>>> butter.Â* I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
>>> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
>>> just set.Â* It was delicious.
>>>

>> There ya' go! I like an omelet with spinach and brie. Of course there
>> was also a dead animal involved

> Of course. How could there not be?

And after we've et em all, you'll be next in the pot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:15:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I had a really good spinach dish this morning... scrambled eggs. I used
>> three eggs, salt, pepper, some hot sauce and a bit of water. I chopped
>> up about a half dozen spinach leaves and tossed them into a hot pan with
>> butter. I gave it about 20 seconds and then poured in the eggs, let
>> then sit for about 20 seconds and then stirred gently until they were
>> just set. It was delicious.

>6 spinach leaves chopped up and wilted down? ;-D

It sounds like a lot but maybe it was baby spinach

Hawaiian bread/rolls sf[_9_] General Cooking 29 28-11-2012 04:12 PM
Req: Soft dinner rolls Arri London General Cooking 36 02-02-2006 12:12 AM
Hawaiian Bread Tim Recipes 0 29-05-2005 11:27 AM
How to keep my rolls soft? baker1 Baking 2 30-11-2004 10:05 PM
King's Hawaiian Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-02-2004 02:22 PM