Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kabob marinade

I bought a leg o' lamb roast, a couple days ago. It's small --only
3.5lbs ($25)-- but I wanted to recreate my mom's 'lamb kabobs' and
they call fer being marinated, overnight. It's the marinade I'm
trying to recreate. I know it had these 2 things: wine and oil.

I've purchased (besides the lamb) some decent NZ red wine and some
"sweet ginger" teriyaki sauce. The teriyaki tastes jes as I recall,
but I'm having probs finding a teriyaki/wine marinade recipe (which I
have seen, many yrs ago). The recipe I DID find also called fer:
mint, garlic, thyme, red wine vineagar, etc). I've got EVOO!
(doesn't everyone?) But, looks like I'll hafta buy some 'mint' and
'skewers'.

Can anyone help?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2017 2:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> So no help is
> necessary here.
>
> -sw

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-29 4:06 PM, notbob wrote:
> I bought a leg o' lamb roast, a couple days ago. It's small --only
> 3.5lbs ($25)-- but I wanted to recreate my mom's 'lamb kabobs' and
> they call fer being marinated, overnight. It's the marinade I'm
> trying to recreate. I know it had these 2 things: wine and oil.
>
> I've purchased (besides the lamb) some decent NZ red wine and some
> "sweet ginger" teriyaki sauce. The teriyaki tastes jes as I recall,
> but I'm having probs finding a teriyaki/wine marinade recipe (which I
> have seen, many yrs ago). The recipe I DID find also called fer:
> mint, garlic, thyme, red wine vineagar, etc). I've got EVOO!
> (doesn't everyone?) But, looks like I'll hafta buy some 'mint' and
> 'skewers'.
>
> Can anyone help?

We do chicken or lamb kebabs frequently. I use the standard Greek
marinade..... one part lemon juice to two parts olive oil, salt, pepper,
lots of garlic, some oregano. You can add some red wine if you want.

We have a couple sets of metal skewers. It is a PITA to have to soak
wooden skewers and then the still burn on he grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-29, Dave Smith > wrote:

> We have a couple sets of metal skewers. It is a PITA to have to soak
> wooden skewers and then the still burn on he grill.

Yes. I've been looking at buying metal skewers. I gotta buncha
bamboo skewers, but we know how that works. 8(

I'm still prepping. The roast is still in the freezer!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2017 4:06 PM, notbob wrote:
> I bought a leg o' lamb roast, a couple days ago. It's small --only
> 3.5lbs ($25)-- but I wanted to recreate my mom's 'lamb kabobs' and
> they call fer being marinated, overnight. It's the marinade I'm
> trying to recreate. I know it had these 2 things: wine and oil.
>
> I've purchased (besides the lamb) some decent NZ red wine and some
> "sweet ginger" teriyaki sauce. The teriyaki tastes jes as I recall,
> but I'm having probs finding a teriyaki/wine marinade recipe (which I
> have seen, many yrs ago). The recipe I DID find also called fer:
> mint, garlic, thyme, red wine vineagar, etc). I've got EVOO!
> (doesn't everyone?) But, looks like I'll hafta buy some 'mint' and
> 'skewers'.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> nb

I keep it simple. For lamb I'd be using wine (red works) and olive oil
with rosemary and garlic. Perhaps some thyme. S&P. Good lamb doesn't
require complicated.

I would not use teriyaki or ginger with lamb but that's just my taste.
Then again I don't know what your mom's lamb marinade was like. My
mother never cooked lamb.

I have 12 long brass kabob skewers with teak handles. I don't remember
my parents making kabobs, ever. No idea why I find things like this in
my house.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Dec 2017 21:06:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I bought a leg o' lamb roast, a couple days ago. It's small --only
>3.5lbs ($25)-- but I wanted to recreate my mom's 'lamb kabobs' and
>they call fer being marinated, overnight. It's the marinade I'm
>trying to recreate. I know it had these 2 things: wine and oil.
>
>I've purchased (besides the lamb) some decent NZ red wine and some
>"sweet ginger" teriyaki sauce. The teriyaki tastes jes as I recall,
>but I'm having probs finding a teriyaki/wine marinade recipe (which I
>have seen, many yrs ago). The recipe I DID find also called fer:
>mint, garlic, thyme, red wine vineagar, etc). I've got EVOO!
>(doesn't everyone?) But, looks like I'll hafta buy some 'mint' and
>'skewers'.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>nb

Do either of these point you to the direction?
Yogurt Marinade
1 cup plain yogurt
¼ c. lemon juice
3 Tblsp. Vegetable oil
¼ c. chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tblsp fresh minced dill or 2 tsp. dill weed
½ t. crushed rosemary
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper

Great with pork or lamb.

GRILLED LAMB

1 jar Gray Poupon grainy mustard
5 garlic cloves
2-3 TB olive oil
2 TB dried herbs du Provence (I use Penzey's)
Salt, black pepper

Let sit in the fridge overnight or at least several hours. Grill until
medium rare in the thickest parts.

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-30, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> 1 cup plain yogurt

> 1 jar Gray Poupon grainy mustard

Nope! Nothing 'opaque'.

Both sound like good marinades, but I think my mom's secret ingredient
was teriyaki sauce. I'm more than sure after tasting this special
Colorado-made "sweet ginger" teriyaki stuff, I picked up a couple days
ago. Tastes like the marinating meat I usta steal (and eat!) right
outta the glass pie plate she marinated in. Plus, I do recall my mom
usta always brag how she used some really cheap CA red wine (Red
Mountain?). This, long before box wines.

I'm jes gonna try EVOO, red wine, and this 'sweet ginger' teriyaki
sauce. I may add some herbs, like mint, garlic, thyme, etc. The hard
part is gonna be 'cubing' this small leg o' lamb. BTDT! Plus, I need
to buy some metal skewers.

But, I appreciate yer reply. Thank you.

nb