Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I have leg of lamb but into kabob size

I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
have now.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...2fcddab?hl=en#
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
> grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> size lamb in the toaster oven?

Kabob size lamb? You mean it's already cut into small stripes and bits?
Weird. I'd just mix those pieces with the leaves from a sprig of rosemary,
add a sage leaf, a bay leaf and put it in a oven pan with some EVO oil. On
the stove top, sautee for 5-10 minutes over high heat stirring well and
often, then add a glass of dry white wine and let it evaporate, it will take
another 5-10 minutes. After that, move it to the oven already heated at
375°F. Depending on the size of the bist and the way they fit in the pan, it
could take from 30 minutes to 1 hour of baking. As you remove the pan from
the oven, add some freshly ground white pepper and serve.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosč

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote:

> What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> size lamb in the toaster oven?

Rub with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, olive oil,
lemon juice and optionally any or all of the following:
cayenne, cumin, ground coriander seed. Half an hour later,
broil in the toaster oven, positioning the lamb about
an inch below the top element.

Should work really well.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
> grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
> grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
> weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
> have now.

I usually marinate kabob meat in lemon juice and olive oil with garlic,
salt, pepper, and oregano or marjoram.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message

>> (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> Do you use Mexican oregano, or conventional European oregano?

>> I usually buy Mexican, but I recently bought Greek oregano. Frankly,
>> I know Greek is supposed to be stronger, but I never measure so you
>> can't prove it by me.

>IMO, Greek is sweeter and tastes nothing like the Mexican. Mexican has more
>of a sharp, pungent mint background.

I find the Mexican more pungent as well, but this could be
because it is usually fresher and in better condition.

The distinction is not as massive as is the difference between
California bay leaves and Mediterranean bay leaves. I usually
use the former, but recently got some Penzey's Turkish bay
leaves and I'm having difficulty sensing more than a faint
bay flavor with them...

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>>> I usually buy Mexican, but I recently bought Greek oregano. Frankly,
>>> I know Greek is supposed to be stronger, but I never measure so you
>>> can't prove it by me.

>>IMO, Greek is sweeter and tastes nothing like the Mexican. Mexican has
>>more
>>of a sharp, pungent mint background.

> I find the Mexican more pungent as well, but this could be
> because it is usually fresher and in better condition.

snip
> Steve

I find that Mexican has a totally different taste. I could see using Greek
in a Mexican dish, but not the other way around.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I find that Mexican has a totally different taste. I could
> see using Greek in a Mexican dish, but not the other way around.

I routinely use Mexican oregano in, say, Italian-style pasta
sauce. I do not have a problem with it. Could be though that
I've just become adapted to it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Manda Ruby > wrote:
>I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
>grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
>size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
>grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
>weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
>have now.

Re the smelly, what's the fat content like?

My dad and I have found that people who "don't like lamb" like our
marinated LoL. We trim all possible fat off it and then marinate and
barbeque.

Koko posted the recipe for Jamie's Lamb on a Stick recently. The marinade
is similar to my dad's (grated onion, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme,
rosemary, garlic).

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 1:08*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer)
wrote:
> In article >,
> Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> >I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
> >grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> >size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
> >grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
> >weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
> >have now.

> Re the smelly, what's the fat content like?

In the past, it's bought from Pakistani store. It looked lean enough.
Beside, we cutoff the fat we see. This LoL is from Raley's and I
shall find out how smelly it is.

> My dad and I have found that people who "don't like lamb" like our
> marinated LoL. *We trim all possible fat off it and then marinate and
> barbeque.
>
> Koko posted the recipe for Jamie's Lamb on a Stick recently. *The marinade
> is similar to my dad's (grated onion, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme,
> rosemary, garlic).

Persian Kabob uses lots of onions and that probably takes care of the
smell.

> Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
> grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
> grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
> weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
> have now.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...2fcddab?hl=en#

You're Burmese, right? Doesn't Myanmar have any traditional spice mixture
for lamb?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 17, 9:43*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > I don't want to eat the same thing again and again and so I won't
> > grill LoL. What herbs or spices would go to broil and bake these kabob
> > size lamb in the toaster oven? Same as in the follwing thread for
> > grilling LoL? Note that I find LoL from American store smelly in a
> > weird way (after cooking as noticed in the past) but that is what I
> > have now.

> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...thread/thread/...

> You're Burmese, right? Doesn't Myanmar have any traditional spice mixture
> for lamb?

I am not ethnically Burmese or any other indigenous group. And
eating lamb meat is not common among the natives.