Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonights Dinner

Steaks from Costco, baked potatoes, green beans and muffins. Used a boxed
mix of oat bran. Oddly enough it had no eggs in it and only required water.
I did add rehydrated dried apples, pecans, cinnamons and a little brown
sugar on the top. I had Swiss cheese instead of the steak, but the steak was
liked by all. I just don't like steak. Heh. Used A1 seasoning on it and
finished with a touch of butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonights Dinner - 9/24

"l not -l" > wrote in message
> My daughter brought a rotisserie chicken (garlic and herb), and
> cupcakes for dessert. I steamed broccoli and made cheese sauce
> for use with baked potatoes or stand-alone. I used a baked
> potato recipe I saw on America's Test Kitchen recently. I know,
> who needs a recipe for baked potatoes? These were the best I
> have ever made; crispy skin, perfectly done and fluffy inside; it
> is the only way I'll bake potatoes in the future.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Best Baked Potatoes _ America's Test Kitchen
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 4 russet potatoes -- (7- to 9-ounce)
> unpeeled, each lightly pricked with fork in 6 places
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
>
> Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
> Dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 1/2 cup water in large bowl. Place
> potatoes in bowl and toss so exteriors of potatoes are evenly
> moistened. Transfer potatoes to wire rack set in rimmed baking
> sheet and bake until center of largest potato registers 205
> degrees, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
>
> Remove potatoes from oven and brush tops and sides with oil.
> Return potatoes to oven and continue to bake for 10 minutes.
>
> Remove potatoes from oven and, using paring knife, make 2 slits,
> forming X, in each potato. Using clean dish towel, hold ends and
> squeeze slightly to push flesh up and out. Season with salt and
> pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Top them as desired, or with
> one of our toppings.

> "To produce baked potatoes with an evenly fluffy interior, we
> figured out their ideal doneness temperatu 205 degrees.
> Baking them in a hot (450-degree) oven prevents a leathery
> "pellicle" from forming underneath the peel. To season the
> skin, we coat
> them with salty water"
> Source:
> "America's Test Kitchen - TV show and website"
> S(Internet Address):
>
> "https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/8654-best-baked-potatoes?incode=MASAD00L0&ref=new_search_experienc e_1"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 89 Calories; 3g Fat (34.2%
> calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary
> Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch);
> 1/2 Fat.
>
> NOTES : Open up the potatoes immediately after removal from the
> oven in step 3 so steam can escape. Top them as desired, or with
> one of our toppings.

Well... Mine were done ahead of time at 350. Didn't put anything on them
initially. Just scrubbed, pricked and baked. Two people ate them not long
after baking. Mine was reheated and seemed fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 5:15 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 25 Sep 2017 01:44:50a, l not -l told us...
>
>> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...-baked-potatoe
>> s?incode=MASAD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

> Thanks! This is a must try the next time I buy baking potatoes. I
> wonder if this recipe is in my America's Test Kitchen cookbook? Just
> in case I'll copy it from here.
>
> Decades ago Red Lobster used to serve baked potatoes that sound as
> though they have been baked this way. They werer wonderful.
> Unfortunately, not so now.

I knew to do that even before I was a waitress at Red Lobster. My
mother always rubbed russet baking potatoes with butter and then
sprinkled them all over with salt before putting them in the oven. She
didn't cut an X in them, just a couple of stabs with a fork to vent the
steam. In a 375F oven for an hour.

Baked potatoes always have nice crispy outer skin (yes, I eat the skin),
nice and tender inside. Fluff with a fork and definitely needs more butter!

I still make baked potatoes this way. Remind me to put russets on my
baking list.

BTW, already baked potatoes can be often used in things like 'Baked
Potato Soup' Or home fried potatoes.

Jill