Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whacky Brit temps

I'm trying to replicate some of the recipes on The Great Brit Baking
Show: Masterclass, or whatever. I can convert some metric measures,
but the oven temps are jes plain nuts. For example:

"200C/180C Fan/Gas 6"

I suspect the "180C Fan" is a convection oven temp. Yes? No? Not
common, as the convection ovens we used (in my cooking classes) hadda
50°F difference between "fan-on" and "fan-off".

Better to use the "200C" temp, as it's a straight conversion to 400F.

Then there's that "Gas 6" (which also converts to 400F). Apparently,
Limey's ovens have a single digit temp. Well, here's the helpful
conversion:

<http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm>

HTH

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 19:48, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 02:13:55p, notbob told us...
>
>> I'm trying to replicate some of the recipes on The Great Brit
>> Baking Show: Masterclass, or whatever. I can convert some metric
>> measures, but the oven temps are jes plain nuts. For example:
>>
>> "200C/180C Fan/Gas 6"
>>
>> I suspect the "180C Fan" is a convection oven temp. Yes? No?
>> Not common, as the convection ovens we used (in my cooking
>> classes) hadda 50°F difference between "fan-on" and "fan-off".
>>
>> Better to use the "200C" temp, as it's a straight conversion to
>> 400F.
>>
>> Then there's that "Gas 6" (which also converts to 400F).
>> Apparently, Limey's ovens have a single digit temp. Well, here's
>> the helpful conversion:
>>
>> <http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm>
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> nb
>>

> Farenheit temperatures were never really popular in Britain. Since
> Britain follows the metric system, Celcius temperatures were a
> natural fit.
>
> Perhaps putting the carat before the horse, temperatures expressed in
> Gasmarks from 1 to 12 were introducted and became popular at least if
> not earlier than thhe 1930s. The manufactures of the "New World" gas
> ranges and gas regulators introduced the gasmark and along with this
> provided many thousands of homeowners with free cookbooks that
> expressed baking temperatures only in gsmark numbers. Numberous oven
> manufacturers followed suit by calibrating their oven controls in
> gsmark numbers. Even as electric ovens were introduced, the
> expression of gasmark numbers carried over to them.
>
> There are numerous conversion tables showing the equivalent of
> Gasmark, Fahrenheit, and Celcius, and they are consistent. If you're
> following a British recipe, you can easily convert the gasmark number
> to Fahrenheit temperature degrees. It's not rocket science.
>
> Conversion Chart
>
> Gas mark Fahrenheit Celsius Descriptive
> ?1/4 225° 107° Very Slow/Very Low
> ?1/2 250° 121° Very Slow/Very Low
> 1 275° 135° Slow/Low
> 2 300° 149° Slow/Low
> 3 325° 163° Moderately Slow/Warm
> 4 350° 177° Moderate/Medium
> 5 375° 191° Moderate/Moderately Hot
> 6 400° 204° Moderately Hot
> 7 425° 218° Hot
> 8 450° 232° Hot/Very Hot
> 9 475° 246° Very Hot
> 10 500° 260°
> 11 525° 274°
> 12 550° 288°
>
> FWIW, Great Britain, IReland, and soe of the Conmonwealth of Nations
> also use the Gsmark scale.
>
> France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.
>
> HTH

Thanks, Wayne. That's fun. I have a few cookbooks that list the temps
in F, C and Gasmark. I've never lived where I actually used gasmark as
a specified cooking temp but I'm pretty sure I could have figured it out
based on the recipe.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Thu 21 Sep 2017 02:13:55p, notbob told us...

> I'm trying to replicate some of the recipes on The Great Brit
> Baking Show: Masterclass, or whatever. I can convert some metric
> measures, but the oven temps are jes plain nuts. For example:
>
> "200C/180C Fan/Gas 6"
>
> I suspect the "180C Fan" is a convection oven temp. Yes? No?
> Not common, as the convection ovens we used (in my cooking
> classes) hadda 50°F difference between "fan-on" and "fan-off".

Yes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Thu 21 Sep 2017 02:13:55p, notbob told us...

> I'm trying to replicate some of the recipes on The Great Brit
> Baking Show: Masterclass, or whatever. I can convert some metric
> measures, but the oven temps are jes plain nuts. For example:
>
> "200C/180C Fan/Gas 6"
>
> I suspect the "180C Fan" is a convection oven temp. Yes? No?
> Not common, as the convection ovens we used (in my cooking
> classes) hadda 50°F difference between "fan-on" and "fan-off".
>
> Better to use the "200C" temp, as it's a straight conversion to
> 400F.
>
> Then there's that "Gas 6" (which also converts to 400F).
> Apparently, Limey's ovens have a single digit temp. Well, here's
> the helpful conversion:
>
> <http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm>
>
> HTH
>
> nb

Farenheit temperatures were never really popular in Britain. Since
Britain follows the metric system, Celcius temperatures were a
natural fit.

Perhaps putting the carat before the horse, temperatures expressed in
Gasmarks from 1 to 12 were introducted and became popular at least if
not earlier than thhe 1930s. The manufactures of the "New World" gas
ranges and gas regulators introduced the gasmark and along with this
provided many thousands of homeowners with free cookbooks that
expressed baking temperatures only in gsmark numbers. Numberous oven
manufacturers followed suit by calibrating their oven controls in
gsmark numbers. Even as electric ovens were introduced, the
expression of gasmark numbers carried over to them.

There are numerous conversion tables showing the equivalent of
Gasmark, Fahrenheit, and Celcius, and they are consistent. If you're
following a British recipe, you can easily convert the gasmark number
to Fahrenheit temperature degrees. It's not rocket science.

Conversion Chart

Gas mark Fahrenheit Celsius Descriptive
?1/4 225° 107° Very Slow/Very Low
?1/2 250° 121° Very Slow/Very Low
1 275° 135° Slow/Low
2 300° 149° Slow/Low
3 325° 163° Moderately Slow/Warm
4 350° 177° Moderate/Medium
5 375° 191° Moderate/Moderately Hot
6 400° 204° Moderately Hot
7 425° 218° Hot
8 450° 232° Hot/Very Hot
9 475° 246° Very Hot
10 500° 260°
11 525° 274°
12 550° 288°

FWIW, Great Britain, IReland, and soe of the Conmonwealth of Nations
also use the Gsmark scale.

France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.

HTH

Wayne Boatwright

==

I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric. I am
well used to it now but it doesn't faze me when I get a F recipe of course.

Good chart

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:10:14 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
79.45...

>On Thu 21 Sep 2017 02:13:55p, notbob told us...
>
>> I'm trying to replicate some of the recipes on The Great Brit
>> Baking Show: Masterclass, or whatever. I can convert some metric
>> measures, but the oven temps are jes plain nuts. For example:
>>
>> "200C/180C Fan/Gas 6"
>>
>> I suspect the "180C Fan" is a convection oven temp. Yes? No?
>> Not common, as the convection ovens we used (in my cooking
>> classes) hadda 50°F difference between "fan-on" and "fan-off".
>>
>> Better to use the "200C" temp, as it's a straight conversion to
>> 400F.
>>
>> Then there's that "Gas 6" (which also converts to 400F).
>> Apparently, Limey's ovens have a single digit temp. Well, here's
>> the helpful conversion:
>>
>> <http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm>
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> nb
>>

>Farenheit temperatures were never really popular in Britain. Since
>Britain follows the metric system, Celcius temperatures were a
>natural fit.
>
>Perhaps putting the carat before the horse, temperatures expressed in
>Gasmarks from 1 to 12 were introducted and became popular at least if
>not earlier than thhe 1930s. The manufactures of the "New World" gas
>ranges and gas regulators introduced the gasmark and along with this
>provided many thousands of homeowners with free cookbooks that
>expressed baking temperatures only in gsmark numbers. Numberous oven
>manufacturers followed suit by calibrating their oven controls in
>gsmark numbers. Even as electric ovens were introduced, the
>expression of gasmark numbers carried over to them.
>
>There are numerous conversion tables showing the equivalent of
>Gasmark, Fahrenheit, and Celcius, and they are consistent. If you're
>following a British recipe, you can easily convert the gasmark number
>to Fahrenheit temperature degrees. It's not rocket science.
>
> Conversion Chart
>
>Gas mark Fahrenheit Celsius Descriptive
>?1/4 225° 107° Very Slow/Very Low
>?1/2 250° 121° Very Slow/Very Low
>1 275° 135° Slow/Low
>2 300° 149° Slow/Low
>3 325° 163° Moderately Slow/Warm
>4 350° 177° Moderate/Medium
>5 375° 191° Moderate/Moderately Hot
>6 400° 204° Moderately Hot
>7 425° 218° Hot
>8 450° 232° Hot/Very Hot
>9 475° 246° Very Hot
>10 500° 260°
>11 525° 274°
>12 550° 288°
>
>FWIW, Great Britain, IReland, and soe of the Conmonwealth of Nations
>also use the Gsmark scale.
>
>France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.
>
>HTH
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
>==
>
>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.

==

Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
the Common Market.

Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 02:10:14a, Ophelia told us...

> [...]

> ?1/2 250° 121° Very Slow/Very Low
> 1 275° 135° Slow/Low
> 2 300° 149° Slow/Low
> 3 325° 163° Moderately Slow/Warm
> 4 350° 177° Moderate/Medium
> 5 375° 191° Moderate/Moderately Hot
> 6 400° 204° Moderately Hot
> 7 425° 218° Hot
> 8 450° 232° Hot/Very Hot
> 9 475° 246° Very Hot
> 10 500° 260°
> 11 525° 274°
> 12 550° 288°
>
> FWIW, Great Britain, IReland, and soe of the Conmonwealth of
> Nations also use the Gsmark scale.
>
> France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.
>
> HTH
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went
> metric. I am well used to it now but it doesn't faze me when I

Thanks, O. I didn't find a reference for the precise point in time
when Fahreheit changed to metric. Perhaps I didn't dig deep enough.
:-)

Are most of the cookers in Britain calibrated in Fharenheit or
gasmark? I've seen both in my travelss.

==

Electric cookers here are in Celsius. The cooker in the caravan is gas and
therefore in what you call 'gasmark' so I expect regular ones are too.

Wayne Boatwright

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>

>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>
>==
>
>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
>the Common Market.
>
>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And writing
the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
them. Was that you too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" wrote in message ...
> >

> >>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

> >For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
> >
> >==
> >
> >Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
> >the Common Market.
> >
> >Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
a British pint is 568 ml.

> And writing
> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
> them. Was that you too?

When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
the month first got started.

To disambiguate, I always use the form 03-May-2017, except in filenames,
where I use 2017_05_03, which provides convenient date sorting.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 06:57:10p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 9/21/2017 19:48, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 02:13:55p, notbob told us...

>>> Farenheit temperatures were never really popular in Britain.
>>> Since Britain follows the metric system, Celcius temperatures
>>> were a natural fit.
>>>
>>> Perhaps putting the carat before the horse, temperatures
>>> expressed in Gasmarks from 1 to 12 were introducted and became
>>> popular at least if not earlier than thhe 1930s. The
>>> manufactures of the "New World" gas ranges and gas regulators
>>> introduced the gasmark and along with this provided many
>>> thousands of homeowners with free cookbooks that expressed baking
>>> temperatures only in gsmark numbers. Numberous oven
>>> manufacturers followed suit by calibrating their oven controls in
>>> gsmark numbers. Even as electric ovens were introduced, the
>>> expression of gasmark numbers carried over to them.
>>>
>>> There are numerous conversion tables showing the equivalent of
>>> Gasmark, Fahrenheit, and Celcius, and they are consistent. If
>>> you're following a British recipe, you can easily convert the
>>> gasmark number to Fahrenheit temperature degrees. It's not
>>> rocket science.
>>>
>>> Conversion Chart
>>>
>>> Gas mark Fahrenheit Celsius Descriptive
>>> ?1/4 225° 107°
>>> Very Slow/Very Low ?1/2 250°
>>> 121° Very Slow/Very Low 1 275°
>>> 135° Slow/Low 2 300°
>>> 149° Slow/Low 3
>>> 325° 163° Moderately Slow/Warm
>>> 4 350° 177°
>>> Moderate/Medium 5 375°
>>> 191° Moderate/Moderately Hot 6 400°
>>> 204° Moderately Hot 7
>>> 425° 218° Hot 8 450°
>>> 232° Hot/Very Hot 9
>>> 475° 246° Very Hot 10
>>> 500° 260° 11 525°
>>> 274° 12 550° 288°
>>>
>>> FWIW, Great Britain, IReland, and soe of the Conmonwealth of
>>> Nations also use the Gsmark scale.
>>>
>>> France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>

>> Thanks, Wayne. That's fun. I have a few cookbooks that list the
>> temps in F, C and Gasmark. I've never lived where I actually used
>> gasmark as a specified cooking temp but I'm pretty sure I could
>> have figured it out based on the recipe.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, I know _you_ could easily have done so.

Some things are just common sense. Of course I'm used to Farenheit.
I've never had a convection oven so I don't know about temps with fan
settings. I'm not sure I want cooking to get more complicated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 7:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
>>> the Common Market.
>>>
>>> Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

> Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
> I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
> a British pint is 568 ml.
>
>> And writing
>> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
>> them. Was that you too?

> When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
> It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
> the month first got started.

I think that's a military thing. Just like telling time on the clock
converts 6PM to 18:00 hours. They just like to confuse people.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>
>==
>
>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
>the Common Market.
>
>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And writing
the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
them. Was that you too?

==

Measures yes, dates no! lol

Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:

Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 04:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>> >For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>> >
>> >==
>> >
>> >Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was then)
>> >the Common Market.
>> >
>> >Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

>Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
>I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
>a British pint is 568 ml.

No, but I bet the US pint is full of coke and the UK pint is full of
beer.

>> And writing
>> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
>> them. Was that you too?

>When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
>It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
>the month first got started.
>
>To disambiguate, I always use the form 03-May-2017, except in filenames,
>where I use 2017_05_03, which provides convenient date sorting.

There's no right or wrong, but it would have been handy if we'd all
done the same thing. I also write it out (3 May, May 3, May 3rd) to
avoid cross-border confusion).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Farenheit temperatures were never really popular in Britain.

That's not the case Wayne. In my youth Fahrenheit was the norm,
British domestic electric ovens, medical thermometers, room
temperatures, weather reports and forecasts etc used only Fahrenheit.
Our recipes gave oven temperatures in Fahrenheit and Gas Marks. We
understood both.

Since
> Britain follows the metric system, Celcius temperatures were a
> natural fit.

Celcius calibrations on electric ovens and recipe temperatures didn't
become the norm until the 1970's, IIRC.

The generation of Brits who currently post on rfc all grew up using
Fahrenheit ovens and recipe temps,(and knew the Gasmark equivalents);
Imperial weights and measures, and pounds shillings pence currency.
For us, conversion to Celcius temperatures, metric measurements and
decimal currency dates from the 1970's.When I read a recipe with oven
temp in F, I just automatically convert it to C because that's how my
electric stove is calibrated. I haven't seen a Fahrenheit-calibrated
oven in UK in decades but I could still use one, just as I can still
instantly convert today's decimal currency prices to £sd

I used Imperial-only scales until about 1980.
My current kitchen scales weigh in both Imperial and Metric (I just use
whichever the recipe is written in).

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 03:27:25a, Ophelia told us...

> [...]

>> Nations also use the Gsmark scale.
>>
>> France and Germany each have their own unique temperature scales.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went
>> metric. I am well used to it now but it doesn't faze me when I
>> get a F recipe of course.
>>
>> Good chart
>>

> Thanks, O. I didn't find a reference for the precise point in
> time when Fahreheit changed to metric. Perhaps I didn't dig deep
> enough.
>:-)
>
> Are most of the cookers in Britain calibrated in Fharenheit or
> gasmark? I've seen both in my travelss.
>

> ==
>
> Electric cookers here are in Celsius. The cooker in the caravan
> is gas and therefore in what you call 'gasmark' so I expect

Thanks, O!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>

>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

> For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>
> ==
>
> Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was
> then) the Common Market.
>
> Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

And had enough sense to keep it these many years. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bruce > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 04:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> .. .

> >> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

> >Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
> >I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
> >a British pint is 568 ml.

> No, but I bet the US pint is full of coke and the UK pint is full of
> beer.
>
> >> And writing
> >> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
> >> them. Was that you too?

> >When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd,
> >2017).
> >It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
> >the month first got started.
> >
> >To disambiguate, I always use the form 03-May-2017, except in filenames,
> >where I use 2017_05_03, which provides convenient date sorting.

> There's no right or wrong, but it would have been handy if we'd all
> done the same thing. I also write it out (3 May, May 3, May 3rd) to
> avoid cross-border confusion).

There is an international standard in place, ISO 8601, that specifies
the order: year-month-date, as in 2017-09-22 for today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 7:28:28 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 04:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

> >Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
> >I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
> >a British pint is 568 ml.

> No, but I bet the US pint is full of coke and the UK pint is full of
> beer.

Perhaps. I have some ceramic UK-pint-sized mugs that I fill with
coffee every morning. Twice.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:13:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/22/2017 7:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you?

>> Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
>> I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
>> a British pint is 568 ml.
>>
>>> And writing
>>> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
>>> them. Was that you too?

>> When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
>> It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
>> the month first got started.
>>

>I think that's a military thing. Just like telling time on the clock
>converts 6PM to 18:00 hours. They just like to confuse people.
>
>Jill

The 24 hour clock is invaluable, think of the confusion in airline
schedules for one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:09:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 22 Sep 2017 04:24:54a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what
>>>was then) the Common Market.
>>>
>>>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And
>> writing the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3
>> according to them. Was that you too?
>>

>> ==
>>
>> Measures yes, dates no! lol
>>
>> Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:
>>
>> Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4
>>

>This has baffled me for a long time... Do you know if fan ovens or
>fan-assist ovens (most commonly used in Briain and other countries
>othr than the US) are the same as what we know in he US as convection
>ovens? OUr true convection ovens have both bottom and top heating
>elements maintain a relatively constant temperature and are mostly
>used for baking such things as breads, cakes, pies, etc. They also
>have a convectioin fan with its own independent heating element that
>circulates not air throughout the oven. This is most often used for
>roasting meats on a rack and also works particularly well for baking
>cookies or pastries. I don't believe fan ovens and convection ovens
>are exactly the same thing.
>
>Thanks!

I have had a convection oven this side of the Pond for zonks. Not at
all as you describe. It's a normal oven with the power to become
convection if you turn the fan on. It is the constant circulation of
the hot air which does the trick. Generally speaking, one should use
a slightly lower temperature and strangely enough it does wonders with
Yorkshire puds, seeing the advice was always not to open the door
while they were rising, it seems surprising (to me anyway) that having
the fan pumping the air round would make them better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22 7:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:51:01 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> And writing
>> the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3 according to
>> them. Was that you too?

> When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
> It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
> the month first got started.
>
> To disambiguate, I always use the form 03-May-2017, except in filenames,
> where I use 2017_05_03, which provides convenient date sorting.

When I was working I used to have trouble with dealing with US dates
documents because they were inconsistent. Unlike the stuff I had to
deal with, your method jives with the metric method; year, month, day.
Biggest to smallest. I used to prefer to see documents made on the 13th
because if it was the 12th or earlier I was not sure if it was the day
or the month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22 7:13 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/22/2017 7:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May
>> 3rd, 2017).
>> It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17.Â* I've no idea how putting
>> the month first got started.
>>

> I think that's a military thing.Â* Just like telling time on the clock
> converts 6PM to 18:00 hours.Â* They just like to confuse people.

My everyday watch is digital and I have it set on the 24 hour format.
It works for me because I have been using the 24 hour format for so long
that it is automatic for me. The problem comes when someone asks me the
time and I usually tell them on the 12 hour format. I have to do a
quick translation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:10:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric. I am
> well used to it now but it doesn't faze me when I get a F recipe of course.
>
> Good chart
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

When we were in the UK it took me a while to realize the speedometer on the car was calibrated in Miles Per Hour. I thought I was going 70 Kilometers Per Hour. OTOH, I can understand the reason for that. 113 KPH is way too scary a speed to drive!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 04:24:54a, Ophelia told us...

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went
>>>metric.

>>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what
>>was then) the Common Market.
>>
>>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And
> writing the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3
> according to them. Was that you too?
>

> ==
>
> Measures yes, dates no! lol
>
> Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:
>
> Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4

This has baffled me for a long time... Do you know if fan ovens or
fan-assist ovens (most commonly used in Briain and other countries
othr than the US) are the same as what we know in he US as convection
ovens? OUr true convection ovens have both bottom and top heating
elements maintain a relatively constant temperature and are mostly
used for baking such things as breads, cakes, pies, etc. They also
have a convectioin fan with its own independent heating element that
circulates not air throughout the oven. This is most often used for
roasting meats on a rack and also works particularly well for baking
cookies or pastries. I don't believe fan ovens and convection ovens
are exactly the same thing.

Thanks!

Wayne Boatwright

===

So far as I know (and I see in our books) convection and fan (and fan
assisted ovens) are one and the same.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>

>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

> For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>
> ==
>
> Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what was
> then) the Common Market.
>
> Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

And had enough sense to keep it these many years. ;-)

Cheri

==

I wish we had enough sense to do the same)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:24:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 7:28:28 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
>> >I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
>> >a British pint is 568 ml.

>> No, but I bet the US pint is full of coke and the UK pint is full of
>> beer.

>Perhaps. I have some ceramic UK-pint-sized mugs that I fill with
>coffee every morning. Twice.

That's a lot of coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 08:39:14 -0500, Mark Storkamp
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Bruce > wrote:

>> >Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
>> >I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
>> >a British pint is 568 ml.

>> No, but I bet the US pint is full of coke and the UK pint is full of
>> beer.

>> >When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd,
>> >2017).
>> >It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
>> >the month first got started.
>> >
>> >To disambiguate, I always use the form 03-May-2017, except in filenames,
>> >where I use 2017_05_03, which provides convenient date sorting.

>> There's no right or wrong, but it would have been handy if we'd all
>> done the same thing. I also write it out (3 May, May 3, May 3rd) to
>> avoid cross-border confusion).

>There is an international standard in place, ISO 8601, that specifies
>the order: year-month-date, as in 2017-09-22 for today.

I always see Americans do month/day/year; big/small/biggest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:57:27 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> >I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric.

>> For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>

> You slipped up, troll. Fahrenheit originated from the same place you
>claim to.
>
> The Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale based on one proposed in
>1724 by Amsterdam-based physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686?1736),
>after whom the scale is named.

Hey, bitchy biddy, I'm not talking about the entire history of
Fahrenheit, where he lived and what his shoe size was. I'm talking
about the unit of measure used for temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:09:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 22 Sep 2017 04:24:54a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what
>>>was then) the Common Market.
>>>
>>>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And
>> writing the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3
>> according to them. Was that you too?
>>

>> ==
>>
>> Measures yes, dates no! lol
>>
>> Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:
>>
>> Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4
>>

>This has baffled me for a long time... Do you know if fan ovens or
>fan-assist ovens (most commonly used in Briain

Brian doesn't post here anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 19:05:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 22 Sep 2017 10:17:50a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Fri 22 Sep 2017 04:24:54a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>>
>>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And
>>> writing the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3
>>> according to them. Was that you too?
>>>

>>> ==
>>>
>>> Measures yes, dates no! lol
>>>
>>> Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:
>>>
>>> Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4
>>>

>> This has baffled me for a long time... Do you know if fan ovens
>> or fan-assist ovens (most commonly used in Briain and other
>> countries othr than the US) are the same as what we know in he US
>> as convection ovens? OUr true convection ovens have both bottom
>> and top heating elements maintain a relatively constant
>> temperature and are mostly used for baking such things as breads,
>> cakes, pies, etc. They also have a convectioin fan with its own
>> independent heating element that circulates not air throughout the
>> oven. This is most often used for roasting meats on a rack and
>> also works particularly well for baking cookies or pastries. I
>> don't believe fan ovens and convection ovens are exactly the same
>> thing.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ===
>>
>> So far as I know (and I see in our books) convection and fan (and
>> fan assisted ovens) are one and the same.
>>

>Can the fan (and fan assisted ovens) have the fan turned off for
>conventional baking? If not, then they aren't really the same. I'm
>not at all disputing what you said. I just don't know. Thanks!

In my oven I can use a normal oven temp like any other oven. However
I can also press convection and the fan runs and in my case, the oven
temp is adjusted automatically so it gives me the temperature I set.
My previous ones, I had to drop the temp by about 5 deg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:10:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went metric. I am
> well used to it now but it doesn't faze me when I get a F recipe of
> course.
>
> Good chart
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

When we were in the UK it took me a while to realize the speedometer on the
car was calibrated in Miles Per Hour. I thought I was going 70 Kilometers
Per Hour. OTOH, I can understand the reason for that. 113 KPH is way too
scary a speed to drive!

==

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 10:17:50a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Fri 22 Sep 2017 04:24:54a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:23:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what
>>>was then) the Common Market.
>>>
>>>Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

>> Did they also get the gallons and the fl.ozzes from you? And
>> writing the day and the month in the wrong order? 3 May is 5/3
>> according to them. Was that you too?
>>

>> ==
>>
>> Measures yes, dates no! lol
>>
>> Incidentally, Wayne and nb .. from the back of a packet:
>>
>> Fan 160c /Electric 180c /gas 4
>>

> This has baffled me for a long time... Do you know if fan ovens
> or fan-assist ovens (most commonly used in Briain and other
> countries othr than the US) are the same as what we know in he US
> as convection ovens? OUr true convection ovens have both bottom
> and top heating elements maintain a relatively constant
> temperature and are mostly used for baking such things as breads,
> cakes, pies, etc. They also have a convectioin fan with its own
> independent heating element that circulates not air throughout the
> oven. This is most often used for roasting meats on a rack and
> also works particularly well for baking cookies or pastries. I
> don't believe fan ovens and convection ovens are exactly the same
> thing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> So far as I know (and I see in our books) convection and fan (and
> fan assisted ovens) are one and the same.

Can the fan (and fan assisted ovens) have the fan turned off for
conventional baking? If not, then they aren't really the same. I'm
not at all disputing what you said. I just don't know. Thanks!

Wayne Boatwright

==

I believe some ovens can turn of the fan, but not mine.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 10:25:38a, Ophelia told us...

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>

>>>I grew up with Fahrenheit and it didn't change until we went
>>>metric.

>> For real? I always thought Fahrenheit was an American invention.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Are you serious? If so, we used Fahrenheit until we joined (what
>> was then) the Common Market.
>>
>> Heh where do you think the Americans got it from ;-)

> And had enough sense to keep it these many years. ;-)
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I wish we had enough sense to do the same)

Have we not always used the Fahrenheit scale on our ovens? In my
lifetime my parents first owned an old oven c. 1930s that was marked
in Fahrenheit. I've never seen anything else in this country.

Wayne Boatwright

==

As did my grandmother.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 10:41 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:13:04 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Pretty much, although the precise details are a little complicated.
>>> I'm sure you don't want to know why a U.S. pint is 473 ml whereas
>>> a British pint is 568 ml.

>>> When we write the date out, it would be May 3, 2017 (or perhaps May 3rd, 2017).
>>> It's natural to us to convert that to 5/3/17. I've no idea how putting
>>> the month first got started.
>>>

>> I think that's a military thing. Just like telling time on the clock
>> converts 6PM to 18:00 hours. They just like to confuse people.
>>
>> Jill

> The 24 hour clock is invaluable, think of the confusion in airline
> schedules for one.

It really is the smart way to tell time and avoid confusion. I've seen
no parking signs in Europe with time in 24 hour format. Most everyone
at least once in life set an alarm for PM instead of AM too.

Brit tea stains notbob General Cooking 20 07-07-2016 01:47 AM
them whacky siblings! Peter Lucas[_14_] General Cooking 0 03-07-2010 10:30 PM
Brit speak Zspider General Cooking 45 26-11-2004 08:04 AM
Storing temps versus serving temps SJP Wine 1 15-10-2004 01:56 PM
Brit visiting CA - good beer outlets? Bill Benzel Beer 3 22-09-2004 01:31 AM