Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Walmart online shopping

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 12:52:34 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> I tried it for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it
> was. Ordered everything I wanted yesterday, called 10 minutes before going
> there this morning, everything neatly packaged loaded in my vehicle and

Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.

Really like the Prime deliveries tho ,you can have delivered really fast!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2017 12:06 PM, rosie wrote:

> Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.

Do you think other retailers pay much more? Retail has always had low
wages and a lot of part time workers. Many people like to be able to
work part time too. We have a guy at work that gets a decent wage but
has two kids in college. He has been working part time at Wal Mart or
about 5 years now and likes it there.

http://www.payscale.com/career-news/...get-vs-walmart
1. Greeter/Floor Sales Representative
Target: $6.77 €“ $12.06
Walmart: $6.98 €“ $12.18 per hour

2. Cashier
Target: $7.38 €“ $10.27 per hour
Walmart: $7.30 €“ $10.40 per hour

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...RVW9708061.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 12:52:34 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> I tried it for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it
> was. Ordered everything I wanted yesterday, called 10 minutes before going
> there this morning, everything neatly packaged loaded in my vehicle and

Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering
and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I
do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that
most of the employees are just part time.

Really like the Prime deliveries tho ,you can have delivered really fast!!

======

I shop often at Walmart, love the store, but it is very large so I like the
convenience of the online ordering when my bad knee is acting up. I recently
got an email from Smart and Final offering free home delivery and $20.00 off
first order over $35.00 so I might try that next.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:06:47 AM UTC-10, rosie wrote:

> Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.
>
> Really like the Prime deliveries tho ,you can have delivered really fast!!

It seems that Walmart is the only company around that anyone cares about how the workers are treated. Why is that? I've never seen an employee being mistreated. I never got the impression that the workers at Walmart hated their jobs when I've been there. Do you know how the workers at HEB and Amazon are treated? Do you care about how they're treated? Having to stuff crap into boxes all day doesn't seem to be a very nice gig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:43:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:06:47 AM UTC-10, rosie wrote:
>>
>> Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.
>>
>> Really like the Prime deliveries tho ,you can have delivered really fast!!

>It seems that Walmart is the only company around that anyone cares about how the workers are treated. Why is that? I've never seen an employee being mistreated. I never got the impression that the workers at Walmart hated their jobs when I've been there. Do you know how the workers at HEB and Amazon are treated? Do you care about how they're treated? Having to stuff crap into boxes all day doesn't seem to be a very nice gig.

Oh no, FanBoi strikes again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/13/2017 12:06 PM, rosie wrote:
>

> > Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.
> >

> Do you think other retailers pay much more? Retail has always had low
> wages and a lot of part time workers. Many people like to be able to
> work part time too. We have a guy at work that gets a decent wage but
> has two kids in college. He has been working part time at Wal Mart or
> about 5 years now and likes it there.
>
> http://www.payscale.com/career-news/...get-vs-walmart
> 1. Greeter/Floor Sales Representative
> Target: $6.77 €“ $12.06
> Walmart: $6.98 €“ $12.18 per hour
>
> 2. Cashier
> Target: $7.38 €“ $10.27 per hour
> Walmart: $7.30 €“ $10.40 per hour
>
> https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...RVW9708061.htm

The typical retail/service wage is low (here in Chicago/CRook County it is now $11.00/hr.), and this is just not a Walmart "issue".

A "minimum" wage is not a "living" wage, peeps confuse the two, minimum is entry - level pay. In this economy people need decent life and work skills, training/education, and a strong work ethic. Those who possess these qualities will thrive in the workforce, those who don't will not, very simple.. Some will be satisfied with a minimum wage, some will aspire to more...

[Remember the story of "The Grasshopper and the Ant", it is just as germane today as in old Aesop's day...]

Look at the Seattle experiment with their $13/15.00 minimum wage, it has been a disaster, here is one of myriad stories of the fiasco:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...-wage-workers/

[...]

"The groups first study last year (of the policys first phase, increasing the minimum to $11 an hour) was a mixed bag, with fairly imprecise estimates. But the new findings, adding another year of data and including a second increase to $13 an hour, are unequivocal: The policy has caused serious damage to low-wage workers in Seattle. The number of hours worked by low-wage workers fell by a staggering 3.5 million per quarter. This is reflected both in thousands of job losses (or, more precisely, in jobs that would have been created but never were) and in reductions in hours worked by those who retained their jobs. These effects were so dramatic that total payroll accruing to low-wage workers fell by about $120 million per year, with workers actually losing $125 per month on average..."

[...]

These job losses will only get worse as the minimum wage climbs and the effects fully phase in. The University of Washington team is working on linking the workers in its data set to demographic data from other sources to examine the characteristics of the losers from this policy. Most likely, the losses are borne most heavily by low-income and minority households, high-school dropouts, those with criminal records and others who are already most vulnerable €” that is, those whom an employer is least likely to hire at $15 an hour..."

[...]

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2017 2:57 PM, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On 9/13/2017 12:06 PM, rosie wrote:
>>

>>> Have not tried ordering online from Walmart, our HEB has online ordering and I have Amazon Prime, which I LOVE. I tend to rarely shop at Walmart, I do not care for the way the workers there are treated, wage wise and that most of the employees are just part time.
>>>

>> Do you think other retailers pay much more? Retail has always had low
>> wages and a lot of part time workers. Many people like to be able to
>> work part time too. We have a guy at work that gets a decent wage but
>> has two kids in college. He has been working part time at Wal Mart or
>> about 5 years now and likes it there.
>>
>> http://www.payscale.com/career-news/...get-vs-walmart
>> 1. Greeter/Floor Sales Representative
>> Target: $6.77 €“ $12.06
>> Walmart: $6.98 €“ $12.18 per hour
>>
>> 2. Cashier
>> Target: $7.38 €“ $10.27 per hour
>> Walmart: $7.30 €“ $10.40 per hour
>>
>> https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...RVW9708061.htm

> The typical retail/service wage is low (here in Chicago/CRook County it is now $11.00/hr.), and this is just not a Walmart "issue".
>
> A "minimum" wage is not a "living" wage, peeps confuse the two, minimum is entry - level pay. In this economy people need decent life and work skills, training/education, and a strong work ethic. Those who possess these qualities will thrive in the workforce, those who don't will not, very simple. Some will be satisfied with a minimum wage, some will aspire to more...
>
> [Remember the story of "The Grasshopper and the Ant", it is just as germane today as in old Aesop's day...]

There are those that want to make the minimum wage a livable wage.

My first full time job was a tad over the 1963 minimum wage of
$1.25/hour. Adjusted for inflation, that is $10.07 today. Living at
home I was able to buy a 2 year old car and maintain a social life. A
young worker can probably do similar today if the minimum kept up with
inflation.

IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
and ambition though.

If you want to see how much you've improved (or not) in your life, plug
in your wage from the past and compare to today
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:23:39 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There are those that want to make the minimum wage a livable wage.
>
> My first full time job was a tad over the 1963 minimum wage of
> $1.25/hour. Adjusted for inflation, that is $10.07 today. Living at
> home I was able to buy a 2 year old car and maintain a social life. A
> young worker can probably do similar today if the minimum kept up with
> inflation.
>
> IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
> and ambition though.
>
> If you want to see how much you've improved (or not) in your life, plug
> in your wage from the past and compare to today
> https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Comparing your wages from the past isn't all that useful. Minimum wage was viable back in the day. I could go halfsies with my future wife and live away from my parents. Housing was affordable and Hawaii had mandated that healthcare was to be provided by employers. I completed my education without taking a loan. Tuition was only a couple of hundred bucks a semester.

The only thing we have to do to make America great again is to make healthcare, housing, and education, affordable once again. Leave the minimum wage alone. How simple could it be? Other countries can do it. We're supposed to be better than other countries. So...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:23:39 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > There are those that want to make the minimum wage a livable wage.
> >
> > My first full time job was a tad over the 1963 minimum wage of
> > $1.25/hour. Adjusted for inflation, that is $10.07 today. Living at
> > home I was able to buy a 2 year old car and maintain a social life. A
> > young worker can probably do similar today if the minimum kept up with
> > inflation.
> >
> > IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> > too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
> > and ambition though.
> >
> > If you want to see how much you've improved (or not) in your life, plug
> > in your wage from the past and compare to today
> > https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

> Comparing your wages from the past isn't all that useful. Minimum wage was viable back in the day. I could go halfsies with my future wife and live away from my parents. Housing was affordable and Hawaii had mandated that healthcare was to be provided by employers. I completed my education without taking a loan. Tuition was only a couple of hundred bucks a semester.

Some things have risen, adjusted for inflation, and those include housing, education, and healthcare.

OTOH how much was a color TV, air conditioning, a microwave, cheap phone service/clothing/appliances/airfare, or so many other things we take for granted today...???

> The only thing we have to do to make America great again is to make healthcare, housing, and education, affordable once again. Leave the minimum wage alone. How simple could it be? Other countries can do it. We're supposed to be better than other countries. So...

Yes, and mostly with higher rates of taxation...healthcare, housing, and education incur huge costs, however funded.

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 16:25:09 UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:23:39 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > >
> > > There are those that want to make the minimum wage a livable wage.
> > >
> > > My first full time job was a tad over the 1963 minimum wage of
> > > $1.25/hour. Adjusted for inflation, that is $10.07 today. Living at
> > > home I was able to buy a 2 year old car and maintain a social life. A
> > > young worker can probably do similar today if the minimum kept up with
> > > inflation.
> > >
> > > IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> > > too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
> > > and ambition though.
> > >
> > > If you want to see how much you've improved (or not) in your life, plug
> > > in your wage from the past and compare to today
> > > https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

> > Comparing your wages from the past isn't all that useful. Minimum wage was viable back in the day. I could go halfsies with my future wife and live away from my parents. Housing was affordable and Hawaii had mandated that healthcare was to be provided by employers. I completed my education without taking a loan. Tuition was only a couple of hundred bucks a semester.
> >

> Some things have risen, adjusted for inflation, and those include housing, education, and healthcare.
>
> OTOH how much was a color TV, air conditioning, a microwave, cheap phone service/clothing/appliances/airfare, or so many other things we take for granted today...???

PS:

FOOD is MUCH cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than 50+ years ago...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
> and ambition though.

Some believe that businesses have loads of extra cash that can easily absorb the cost of a raise of a few bucks in the minimum wage - they don't. And remember, businesses are responsible to shareholders...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2017 5:37 PM, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
>> too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
>> and ambition though.

> Some believe that businesses have loads of extra cash that can easily absorb the cost of a raise of a few bucks in the minimum wage - they don't. And remember, businesses are responsible to shareholders...

I've taken people through our plant and some have remarked "you guys
must make a lot of money" then I tell them the gas bill for last month
was $30,000 and they are stunned. Not to mention rent of $20k, and on
and on.

We want a $15 or more minimum wage but we also want the $1 menu at our
favorite fast food place.
We complain about greedy corporations and complain if our 401k does not
grow 10% or more.
We complain about goods from China but will spend hours seeking out the
best price on a new TV.
Quote cliche about having our cake, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ding - Dong Daddy > wrote:

>PS:
>
>FOOD is MUCH cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than 50+ years ago...

Absolutely true, but not is one lives on fast food dreck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 11:25:09 AM UTC-10, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

> Yes, and mostly with higher rates of taxation...healthcare, housing, and education incur huge costs, however funded.
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Without a doubt there will be taxes to pay. It is my belief that people will find that to be an acceptable trade-off if we could assure housing, education, and healthcare, for every citizen. Mostly, the old folks will raise a squawk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Ding - Dong Daddy > wrote:
> >
> >PS:
> >
> >FOOD is MUCH cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than 50+ years ago...

> Absolutely true, but not is one lives on fast food dreck.

Yup...just look at Sqwertz...but natcherly he "amortizes" his high food expenses by kyping* vittles from that food bank he "volunteers" for...

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kype

"Kype

A verb meaning the act of taking another person's possessions without asking with the intent to give them back eventually.

"Dude, James totally kyped my chem notes and didn't give them back until after the exam. Jerk!"

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 4:25:09 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>
> Some things have risen, adjusted for inflation, and those include housing, education, and healthcare.
>
> OTOH how much was a color TV, air conditioning, a microwave, cheap phone service/clothing/appliances/airfare, or so many other things we take for granted today...???
>
> > The only thing we have to do to make America great again is to make healthcare, housing, and education, affordable once again. Leave the minimum wage alone. How simple could it be? Other countries can do it. We're supposed to be better than other countries. So...

> Yes, and mostly with higher rates of taxation...healthcare, housing, and education incur huge costs, however funded.
>
> Best
> Greg

That's the truth. They're paying for all those services on the backs
of taxpayers. Those are not a little extra taxes either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:21:00 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Without a doubt there will be taxes to pay. It is my belief that people will find that to be an acceptable trade-off if we could assure housing, education, and healthcare, for every citizen. Mostly, the old folks will raise a squawk.

You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.
If you want a college education work and pay for it. If that means it
takes you 7 years to get your degree, so be it. If it takes longer
then get another part-time job.

No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
people who are always looking for a handout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/13/2017 5:37 PM, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> >> too much for many industries. You can get there with a little education
> >> and ambition though.

> > Some believe that businesses have loads of extra cash that can easily absorb the cost of a raise of a few bucks in the minimum wage - they don't. And remember, businesses are responsible to shareholders...
> >

> I've taken people through our plant and some have remarked "you guys
> must make a lot of money" then I tell them the gas bill for last month
> was $30,000 and they are stunned. Not to mention rent of $20k, and on
> and on.
>
> We want a $15 or more minimum wage but we also want the $1 menu at our
> favorite fast food place.
> We complain about greedy corporations and complain if our 401k does not
> grow 10% or more.
> We complain about goods from China but will spend hours seeking out the
> best price on a new TV.
> Quote cliche about having our cake, etc.

Yup...and still, all things considered, this is the best time ever to be alive in history...

'-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:21:00 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Without a doubt there will be taxes to pay. It is my belief that people will find that to be an acceptable trade-off if we could assure housing, education, and healthcare, for every citizen. Mostly, the old folks will raise a squawk.
> >

> You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
> to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
> character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.
> If you want a college education work and pay for it. If that means it
> takes you 7 years to get your degree, so be it. If it takes longer
> then get another part-time job.

I wish some Americans could be more like the immigrants I encounter - hard (often menial at first) work, deferred gratification, savings in the bank, etc...they are wonderful citizens. They are proof that the US is not only *not* in decline, but is a thriving place...

> No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
> be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
> people who are always looking for a handout.

"I agree with this psot..."

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:33:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:21:00 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Without a doubt there will be taxes to pay. It is my belief that people will find that to be an acceptable trade-off if we could assure housing, education, and healthcare, for every citizen. Mostly, the old folks will raise a squawk.
>>

>You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
>to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
>character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.
>If you want a college education work and pay for it. If that means it
>takes you 7 years to get your degree, so be it. If it takes longer
>then get another part-time job.
>
>No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
>be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
>people who are always looking for a handout.

I don't know of any country in our (western) world, where people have
to pay 80% (or 70% or 60% etc) of their salary in taxes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2017 8:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:33:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

>> You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
>> to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
>> character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.

> I don't know of any country in our (western) world, where people have
> to pay 80% (or 70% or 60% etc) of their salary in taxes.

Some get rather high, over 50%. Then add in taxes on goods. cost of
utilities
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/c...the-world.html
Sweden has the second highest income tax rate in the world, and the
highest in Europe, with a 56.6% deducted from annual income. Though
Swedes may be taxed heavily, sales on residential properties are
exempted from taxation there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:29:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/13/2017 8:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:33:36 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
>>> to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
>>> character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.

>> I don't know of any country in our (western) world, where people have
>> to pay 80% (or 70% or 60% etc) of their salary in taxes.
>>

>Some get rather high, over 50%. Then add in taxes on goods. cost of
>utilities
>http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/c...the-world.html
>Sweden has the second highest income tax rate in the world, and the
>highest in Europe, with a 56.6% deducted from annual income. Though
>Swedes may be taxed heavily, sales on residential properties are
>exempted from taxation there.

If you make under USD 54,500 in Sweden, you pay 31%. If you make more,
you pay 51-56% over the excess. So you can't say the Swedes are paying
56.6%.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Sweden#Income_tax>

And it's also about what you get for your tax payments. Are their
roads better than in the US? Is their healthcare better? Is their
elderly care better? Is their crime less?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:33:43 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:21:00 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Without a doubt there will be taxes to pay. It is my belief that people will find that to be an acceptable trade-off if we could assure housing, education, and healthcare, for every citizen. Mostly, the old folks will raise a squawk.
> >

> You are living in a dream world. I would object very loudly if I had
> to pay up to 80% of my salary so I can provide housing to some lazy
> character that wants everybody else to provide him a place to crash.
> If you want a college education work and pay for it. If that means it
> takes you 7 years to get your degree, so be it. If it takes longer
> then get another part-time job.
>
> No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
> be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
> people who are always looking for a handout.

What if the tax rate was considerably under 80% but enough so that young, hard working, people could have some of the advantages that you had when you were young? You have your housing, education, and medical care, already sorted out. Are you willing to think about other Americans? I sure am.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 7:40:32 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

> I wish some Americans could be more like the immigrants I encounter - hard (often menial at first) work, deferred gratification, savings in the bank, etc...they are wonderful citizens. They are proof that the US is not only *not* in decline, but is a thriving place...
>
> Best
> Greg

There is a family of Laotians living diagonally across the street
from me. When they moved there all their children were just out
of high school and the whole family worked at a meat processing
plant about 2 miles away. They all pooled their money to pay for
the house and every one of them were driving brand spanking new
cars.

Three doors up from them was another Laotian family that also
worked at the same meat processing plant. The Friday after
Thanksgiving one year I was leaving my house and spied something
large and white walking in their fenced backyard. I walked up the
alley to see what it was and it was very large white turkey. I
guess they really did want a fresh turkey; anyway, when I returned
home Sunday afternoon the turkey was history.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 9:05:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:33:43 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
> > be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
> > people who are always looking for a handout.

> What if the tax rate was considerably under 80% but enough so that young, hard working, people could have some of the advantages that you had when you were young? You have your housing, education, and medical care, already sorted out. Are you willing to think about other Americans? I sure am.

If they're hard working they can have the same advantages I had. I paid
my own way, I didn't have a new car every 3 or 4 years. You know these
young folks have just got to have those expensive, $500-$700 phones, and I
didn't buy my house until I was 38 years old. A house that needed a LOT
of work that I had to tackle slowly over the years. I still don't have
granite countertops and am not interested in having granite nor do I
insist all my appliances be stainless steel. Most young don't want to
work slowly to achieve their goals. They want it NOW and it's got to be
brand spanking new.

I was fortunate enough to work for a corporation that had a health
plan but I still had to pay my portion out of each pay check. I also,
participated in the 401k they offered and was able to slowly increase
my contribution to it over the years. I was able to accomplish the
things I did because I didn't take expensive vacations every year, I
didn't stop at an expensive coffee shop every day either, nor did I
max out my credit cards because I just had to have the latest and
greatest of whatever.

What is so terrible about them working and going to college as well??
Many, many people do it and they're no better than anyone else to
expect free schooling. I don't care if they are not able to afford
college, a new car, a house. If they want to go to college bad
enough they will go and pay for it themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:46:38 PM UTC-10,
> If they're hard working they can have the same advantages I had. I paid
> my own way, I didn't have a new car every 3 or 4 years. You know these
> young folks have just got to have those expensive, $500-$700 phones, and I
> didn't buy my house until I was 38 years old. A house that needed a LOT
> of work that I had to tackle slowly over the years. I still don't have
> granite countertops and am not interested in having granite nor do I
> insist all my appliances be stainless steel. Most young don't want to
> work slowly to achieve their goals. They want it NOW and it's got to be
> brand spanking new.
>
> I was fortunate enough to work for a corporation that had a health
> plan but I still had to pay my portion out of each pay check. I also,
> participated in the 401k they offered and was able to slowly increase
> my contribution to it over the years. I was able to accomplish the
> things I did because I didn't take expensive vacations every year, I
> didn't stop at an expensive coffee shop every day either, nor did I
> max out my credit cards because I just had to have the latest and
> greatest of whatever.
>
> What is so terrible about them working and going to college as well??
> Many, many people do it and they're no better than anyone else to
> expect free schooling. I don't care if they are not able to afford
> college, a new car, a house. If they want to go to college bad
> enough they will go and pay for it themselves.

Things have changed. We had it easy. That's what people don't understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 9:05:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:33:43 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> >
> > No it won't just be the old folks that will raise a squawk. It will
> > be working people with good jobs seeing their taxes going to lazy
> > people who are always looking for a handout.

> What if the tax rate was considerably under 80% but enough so that young,
> hard working, people could have some of the advantages that you had when
> you were young? You have your housing, education, and medical care,
> already sorted out. Are you willing to think about other Americans? I sure
> am.

If they're hard working they can have the same advantages I had. I paid
my own way, I didn't have a new car every 3 or 4 years. You know these
young folks have just got to have those expensive, $500-$700 phones, and I
didn't buy my house until I was 38 years old. A house that needed a LOT
of work that I had to tackle slowly over the years. I still don't have
granite countertops and am not interested in having granite nor do I
insist all my appliances be stainless steel. Most young don't want to
work slowly to achieve their goals. They want it NOW and it's got to be
brand spanking new.

I was fortunate enough to work for a corporation that had a health
plan but I still had to pay my portion out of each pay check. I also,
participated in the 401k they offered and was able to slowly increase
my contribution to it over the years. I was able to accomplish the
things I did because I didn't take expensive vacations every year, I
didn't stop at an expensive coffee shop every day either, nor did I
max out my credit cards because I just had to have the latest and
greatest of whatever.

What is so terrible about them working and going to college as well??
Many, many people do it and they're no better than anyone else to
expect free schooling. I don't care if they are not able to afford
college, a new car, a house. If they want to go to college bad
enough they will go and pay for it themselves.

=========

+10,000, we were in our mid forties before we had a new car or a house of
our own, a modest home that we could afford and not carry some huge
mortgage.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ding - Dong Daddy" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Some believe that businesses have loads of extra cash that can easily
>> > absorb the cost of a raise of a few bucks in the minimum wage - they
>> > don't. And remember, businesses are responsible to shareholders...
>> >

>> I've taken people through our plant and some have remarked "you guys
>> must make a lot of money" then I tell them the gas bill for last month
>> was $30,000 and they are stunned. Not to mention rent of $20k, and on
>> and on.
>>
>> We want a $15 or more minimum wage but we also want the $1 menu at our
>> favorite fast food place.
>> We complain about greedy corporations and complain if our 401k does not
>> grow 10% or more.
>> We complain about goods from China but will spend hours seeking out the
>> best price on a new TV.
>> Quote cliche about having our cake, etc.

> Yup...and still, all things considered, this is the best time ever to be
> alive in history...
>
> '-)
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Yes, we have definitely lived/live in interesting times as they say.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 6:46:38 PM UTC-10,
>
>> If they're hard working they can have the same advantages I had. I paid
>> my own way, I didn't have a new car every 3 or 4 years. You know these
>> young folks have just got to have those expensive, $500-$700 phones, and
>> didn't buy my house until I was 38 years old. A house that needed a LOT
>> of work that I had to tackle slowly over the years. I still don't have
>> granite countertops and am not interested in having granite nor do I
>> insist all my appliances be stainless steel. Most young don't want to
>> work slowly to achieve their goals. They want it NOW and it's got to be
>> brand spanking new.
>>
>> I was fortunate enough to work for a corporation that had a health
>> plan but I still had to pay my portion out of each pay check. I also,
>> participated in the 401k they offered and was able to slowly increase
>> my contribution to it over the years. I was able to accomplish the
>> things I did because I didn't take expensive vacations every year, I
>> didn't stop at an expensive coffee shop every day either, nor did I
>> max out my credit cards because I just had to have the latest and
>> greatest of whatever.
>>
>> What is so terrible about them working and going to college as well??
>> Many, many people do it and they're no better than anyone else to
>> expect free schooling. I don't care if they are not able to afford
>> college, a new car, a house. If they want to go to college bad
>> enough they will go and pay for it themselves.

> Things have changed. We had it easy. That's what people don't understand.

Maybe you did, but we didn't. We worked hard at menial jobs for many years,
raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way as
we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new expensive
gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 1:13:18 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> >
> > Things have changed. We had it easy. That's what people don't understand.

> Maybe you did, but we didn't. We worked hard at menial jobs for many years,
> raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way as
> we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
> our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new expensive
> gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.
>
> Cheri

Thank you! I don't feel like I had it easy either. I've been in my
house 29 years and got the original bathroom to this 90+ year old house
remodeled last year. Whenever I bought anything major I tried my
best to get a free financing deal if paid off in X number of months.
Then prayed nothing else would break for a long, long time. If I
needed anything major I scoured the papers for sales and/or special
financing. I have lived frugally in that I didn't throw my money
around like it grew on trees but I have lived well. No complaints
there.

I'm also driving a vehicle I've owned for 20 years and am toying
with the idea of a new car in December. My present vehicle is
running just fine but I would like one last new, luxury vehicle
in my lifetime. I'm presently driving an SUV but would love to
treat myself to something that is butt and bone soothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Ding - Dong Daddy > wrote:
> >
> >PS:
> >
> >FOOD is MUCH cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than 50+ years ago...

> Absolutely true, but not is one lives on fast food dreck.

Yup...just look at Sqwertz...but natcherly he "amortizes" his high food
expenses by kyping* vittles from that food bank he "volunteers" for...

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kype

"Kype

A verb meaning the act of taking another person's possessions without asking
with the intent to give them back eventually.

"Dude, James totally kyped my chem notes and didn't give them back until
after the exam. Jerk!"

Best
Greg

==

A fancy way of saying stealing, eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/13/2017 5:37 PM, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> IMO. the minimum should be $10 today. The idea of $15 minimum is just
> >> too much for many industries. You can get there with a little
> >> education
> >> and ambition though.

> > Some believe that businesses have loads of extra cash that can easily
> > absorb the cost of a raise of a few bucks in the minimum wage - they
> > don't. And remember, businesses are responsible to shareholders...
> >

> I've taken people through our plant and some have remarked "you guys
> must make a lot of money" then I tell them the gas bill for last month
> was $30,000 and they are stunned. Not to mention rent of $20k, and on
> and on.
>
> We want a $15 or more minimum wage but we also want the $1 menu at our
> favorite fast food place.
> We complain about greedy corporations and complain if our 401k does not
> grow 10% or more.
> We complain about goods from China but will spend hours seeking out the
> best price on a new TV.
> Quote cliche about having our cake, etc.

Yup...and still, all things considered, this is the best time ever to be
alive in history...

'-)

Best
Greg

==

Yes indeed))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:13:18 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> Maybe you did, but we didn't. We worked hard at menial jobs for many years,
> raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way as
> we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
> our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new expensive
> gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.
>
> Cheri

Your experience was the same as yours. That's not too relevant. What was the price of housing when your parents bought a house. Less than $10K? How much was it when you left school? $60K? How much was a house when you turned 30? Maybe $120K. Currently, the houses here are going for around $800K. The cost for education and health care has exploded in the last 30 years. Something tells me that you won't be able to afford these things doing menial jobs.

That you dis the kids and call them lazy and frivolous is not surprising. You merely morphed into your parents. They didn't understand the younger generation either. The trend is that the kids will rent or own a condo and not a single family home. Since they won't have house payments, they will have some disposable income. Most of their discretionary will be on the most expensive cell phone they can get their hands on and meeting friends outside their homes and eating out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 3:32:27 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:13:18 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> >
> > Maybe you did, but we didn't. We worked hard at menial jobs for many years,
> > raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way as
> > we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
> > our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new expensive
> > gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.
> >
> > Cheri

> Your experience was the same as yours. That's not too relevant. What was the price of housing when your parents bought a house. Less than $10K? How much was it when you left school? $60K? How much was a house when you turned 30? Maybe $120K. Currently, the houses here are going for around $800K. The cost for education and health care has exploded in the last 30 years. Something tells me that you won't be able to afford these things doing menial jobs.

The median house price in Michigan is $169,900. The median income
is $51,084.

The median house price in Hawaii is $606,000. The median income is
$73,486. Maybe "paradise" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 1:13:18 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Things have changed. We had it easy. That's what people don't
>> > understand.

>> Maybe you did, but we didn't. We worked hard at menial jobs for many
>> years,
>> raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way
>> as
>> we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
>> our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new
>> expensive
>> gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Thank you! I don't feel like I had it easy either. I've been in my
> house 29 years and got the original bathroom to this 90+ year old house
> remodeled last year. Whenever I bought anything major I tried my
> best to get a free financing deal if paid off in X number of months.
> Then prayed nothing else would break for a long, long time. If I
> needed anything major I scoured the papers for sales and/or special
> financing. I have lived frugally in that I didn't throw my money
> around like it grew on trees but I have lived well. No complaints
> there.
>
> I'm also driving a vehicle I've owned for 20 years and am toying
> with the idea of a new car in December. My present vehicle is
> running just fine but I would like one last new, luxury vehicle
> in my lifetime. I'm presently driving an SUV but would love to
> treat myself to something that is butt and bone soothing.

You should certainly treat yourself to the car you want, you've earned it!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Three doors up from them was another Laotian family that also
> worked at the same meat processing plant. The Friday after
> Thanksgiving one year I was leaving my house and spied something
> large and white walking in their fenced backyard. I walked up the
> alley to see what it was and it was very large white turkey. I
> guess they really did want a fresh turkey; anyway, when I returned
> home Sunday afternoon the turkey was history.

Hi Bruce! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> We worked hard at menial jobs for many years,
> raised our own kids without government assistance, and paid our own way as
> we went. We didn't buy things we couldn't afford, and we didn't live with
> our parents until we were practically middle aged while buying new expensive
> gadgets ever year or so when last years model still works fine.

Here's one of those annoying "I worked so hard all my life"
threads. splat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I'm presently driving an SUV but would love to
> treat myself to something that is butt and bone soothing.

Forget the new cars. I once owned a 197-something Mercury Marquis
Brougham. Such a LONG front hood and when you went out on the
highway, that thing cruised so nicely. Almost felt like you were
floating above the highway.

They sure don't build cars like that anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> You should certainly treat yourself to the car you want, you've earned it!

Oh so splat, ms.touchie-feelie. lol
She's only earned it if she has saved up for it.
(don't forget, "worked hard all my life."

Personally, I don't ever want a car ever again. Such
super-inflated costs. I'll move to a bus district when I retire.

If you drive a lot, it can be good. I hate to drive and I rarely
do. I have no urge to buy another. I'll just choose to retire in
bike, walking, or bus territory and save the thousands of dollars
on stupid cars.

As I said once, if I need to travel far (very rare), I'll just
rent a car for a week. Much cheaper than owning one all year long
and rarely using it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 9:10:34 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > I'm presently driving an SUV but would love to
> > treat myself to something that is butt and bone soothing.

> Forget the new cars. I once owned a 197-something Mercury Marquis
> Brougham. Such a LONG front hood and when you went out on the
> highway, that thing cruised so nicely. Almost felt like you were
> floating above the highway.
>
> They sure don't build cars like that anymore.

Well, I have researched the car I'd like to buy exhaustively.
I have read literally dozens and dozens of reviews and looked
at dozens of videos. The car I've got my eye on is built
extremely well and built here in the good old US of A, too by
an American owned car company. I honestly feel like I could
go to the dealership and get a job selling the vehicle I want
I know that much about it.

That's great you'd rather ride a bike and I enjoy bike riding as
well, but no, I don't want that to be my only means of transpor-
tation nor do I want to ride a bus everywhere.

But December may come and go and I might still be driving my
1995 SUV. All this will depend on if the dealership and I
can come to terms on the final sale price.