Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Walmart online shopping

On 9/23/2017 5:19 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
>> thanks!
>>
>> http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

> It does look good. The little rings of fresh hot pepper are particularly
> appealing.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That totally kicks it up a notch, almost Thai style...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> The steamer is handy. If I'm not making something like acorn squash or
> baked potatoes I definitely steam most vegetables.

I still have my steamer but it's always annoyed me. Fold thing
that adjusts to any size pot. Annoying to clean. Now, I just put
a nip of water in a tiny saucepan - most of it will steam. or I
microwave it in a bowl with lid. Both alt methods work well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The thing about Pandas is that they cook up the entrees in small batches as needed so it doesn't sit on the steam table for very long. That's the reason for the success of Pandas. Well that's my guess anyway.

It sounds exactly like the chain "beijing express" that used to
be here....even their websites are the same.
You ordered your food and watched them stir-fry wok your meal
over a flame-thrower high heat. About the only think they kept on
standby was the rice in a steamer.

The old ruled with food...we ate there all the time, lots of food
for cheap and tasty. This is why I am hoping that PE is the same
restaurant chain but just a different name.

If so, I might rarely cook again. I'll just get large takeout
varieties from them every 3 days. It's only 1.5 miles from me. It
was supposed to open in July but I haven't checked. If open now,
I will try my test combo and report back.

Will go next week and hope for the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2017 10:53 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> The thing about Pandas is that they cook up the entrees in small batches as needed so it doesn't sit on the steam table for very long. That's the reason for the success of Pandas. Well that's my guess anyway.

> It sounds exactly like the chain "beijing express" that used to
> be here....even their websites are the same.
> You ordered your food and watched them stir-fry wok your meal
> over a flame-thrower high heat. About the only think they kept on
> standby was the rice in a steamer.

No...Panda cooks to steam trays.

> The old ruled with food...we ate there all the time, lots of food
> for cheap and tasty. This is why I am hoping that PE is the same
> restaurant chain but just a different name.

Similar enough.

> If so, I might rarely cook again. I'll just get large takeout
> varieties from them every 3 days. It's only 1.5 miles from me. It
> was supposed to open in July but I haven't checked. If open now,
> I will try my test combo and report back.
>
> Will go next week and hope for the best.

Black pepper chicken - word.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
> thanks!
>
> http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.

I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
large
spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:10:51 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
> > thanks!
> >
> > http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
>
> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
> large
> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

Only if you stuff your gob full with every mouthful, even with
a spoon. One piece of chicken (as pictured) is a bite for me.
About a tablespoon of rice, ditto. I eat my rice separately;
the one thing I didn't like about that picture is that the rice
was all mucked up with the sauce.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
>> thanks!
>>
>> http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
>
> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
> large
> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

The goal when eating is not to mimic a Cat D-9 bulldozer, sheesh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 8:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:10:51 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

>> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
>> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
>>
>> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
>> large
>> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
>> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
>> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

> Only if you stuff your gob full with every mouthful, even with
> a spoon. One piece of chicken (as pictured) is a bite for me.
> About a tablespoon of rice, ditto. I eat my rice separately;
> the one thing I didn't like about that picture is that the rice
> was all mucked up with the sauce.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Oh good grief!

That is typically how dishes are served.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:10:51 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
>
> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
> large
> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

There's some food that you just have to use chopsticks. We get to use whichever we want. If the food is served on a plate we don't hold the plate in mid-air but I like to hold bowls of rice when eating. I probably wouldn't do that in your town though. Here's what I had for dinner. I ate it with a fork because I don't like to use reusable chopsticks. I like to use the ones you throw away.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...3fRQiVd1dGe3AI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:01:50 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/24/2017 8:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
> >> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
> >>
> >> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
> >> large
> >> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
> >> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
> >> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

> > Only if you stuff your gob full with every mouthful, even with
> > a spoon. One piece of chicken (as pictured) is a bite for me.
> > About a tablespoon of rice, ditto. I eat my rice separately;
> > the one thing I didn't like about that picture is that the rice
> > was all mucked up with the sauce.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Oh good grief!
>
> That is typically how dishes are served.

Not in the Chinese restaurants I patronize. Rice in one dish
(usually covered stainless steel), main dish on a plate,
separate plate for eating off of.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 10:46 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:10:51 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Oh yeah. Looks real good. Only change I would make is to put
>> a little bit more of that nice rich sauce on it.
>>
>> I'd also ditch those stupid, worthless chopsticks and grab a
>> large
>> spoon. Give me a break. Chopstick up a tiny bit of meat or
>> whatever, then hold the bowl up to your mouth and scoop in some
>> rice and sauce. Bad table manners, imo. lol

> There's some food that you just have to use chopsticks. We get to use whichever we want. If the food is served on a plate we don't hold the plate in mid-air but I like to hold bowls of rice when eating. I probably wouldn't do that in your town though. Here's what I had for dinner. I ate it with a fork because I don't like to use reusable chopsticks. I like to use the ones you throw away.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...3fRQiVd1dGe3AI

I'd fork that down smartly!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 11:01 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:01:50 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> Only if you stuff your gob full with every mouthful, even with
>>> a spoon. One piece of chicken (as pictured) is a bite for me.
>>> About a tablespoon of rice, ditto. I eat my rice separately;
>>> the one thing I didn't like about that picture is that the rice
>>> was all mucked up with the sauce.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Oh good grief!
>>
>> That is typically how dishes are served.

> Not in the Chinese restaurants I patronize. Rice in one dish
> (usually covered stainless steel), main dish on a plate,
> separate plate for eating off of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Not at lunch - single plate, separate piles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 2:23:47 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/24/2017 11:01 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Oh good grief!
> >>
> >> That is typically how dishes are served.

> > Not in the Chinese restaurants I patronize. Rice in one dish
> > (usually covered stainless steel), main dish on a plate,
> > separate plate for eating off of.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Not at lunch - single plate, separate piles.

Separate piles, ok. I never eat all of the rice anyway, so I can
avoid the parts with sauce on it. But if I were served with the
main dish on top of the rice, I doubt I'd go back.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 12:56 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 2:23:47 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> Not in the Chinese restaurants I patronize. Rice in one dish
>>> (usually covered stainless steel), main dish on a plate,
>>> separate plate for eating off of.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Not at lunch - single plate, separate piles.

> Separate piles, ok.

Yes!

> I never eat all of the rice anyway, so I can
> avoid the parts with sauce on it.

Yep.

> But if I were served with the
> main dish on top of the rice, I doubt I'd go back.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Picky, picky!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 3:38:17 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/24/2017 12:56 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Not at lunch - single plate, separate piles.

> > Separate piles, ok.

> Yes!
>
> > I never eat all of the rice anyway, so I can
> > avoid the parts with sauce on it.

> Yep.
>
> > But if I were served with the
> > main dish on top of the rice, I doubt I'd go back.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Picky, picky!

Ok. I like what I like.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:36:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/17/2017 11:09 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> A couple of my McQuown (Scottish) ancestors were captured in battle
>>> and transported to "the colonies" (N. America) in 1679.* They fought
>>> on the wrong side of a religious war against the Crown.* They were
>>> sold as indentured servants to a planter in Virginia.* During the
>>> crossing the captain of the ship died.* The second in command was a
>>> sympathizer.* He changed the course of the ship and landed them in
>>> Amboy, NJ (now known as Perth Amboy).* By all historical accounts,
>>> indentured servants were treated no differently than any black slave
>>> on plantations.* The difference, of course, was if they survived
>>> X-number of years (10 was a good round number) in servitude they'd
>>> regain their freedom... in a strange land with no money or means.

>> It's odd that so many people think of Australia has having been a penal
>> colony.* That didn't happen until after American independence, because
>> convicts used to be shipped to the American colonies. After independence
>> they had to find another place to transport them.

>Botany Bay was founded as a penal colony in 1770:

No it wasn't. Captain Cook claimed the east cost of Australia for
Great Britain at that time. It was claimed because the French were
showing interest. The idea of using it as a penal colony came later.

>http://tinyurl.com/y9lr5tnt
>
>"Lieutenant James Cook first landed at Kurnell, on the southern banks of
>Botany Bay, on Sunday 29 April 1770, when navigating his way up the east
>coast of Australia on his ship, HMS Endeavour. ... Two days later the
>remaining ships of the First Fleet arrived to found the planned penal
>colony."

The first fleet, with the first convicts, arrived 18 years later.

JB
<snip>