Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default kitchen questions

A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
or ribs, or something. What does that mean?

Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".

?

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2017 8:49 PM, RichD wrote:
> A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
> or ribs, or something. What does that mean?
>
> Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".
>
> ?
>

> --
> Rich

Butterfly is to cut down the middle, but not all the way through, then
split it open. Sort of like opening a book, you get a thinner piece of
meat.

If you look at a raw shrimp with shell on, there is a dark vein running
along the back, De-veining means to remove the shell and remove the
digestive tract. Some frozen shrimp you buy will have it removed already.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2017 8:49 PM, RichD wrote:
> A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
> or ribs, or something. What does that mean?

Sliced and spread out flat.

> Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".
>
> --
> Rich

Shrimp has a sand vein running through it. After peeling, slice raw
shrimp down the center with a small paring knife and pull the (obvious)
vein out. Do try not to mutilate the shrimp in the process.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2017 8:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/8/2017 8:49 PM, RichD wrote:
>> A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
>> or ribs, or something.Â* What does that mean?
>>

> Sliced and spread out flat.
>
>> Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".
>>
>> --
>> Rich
>>

> Shrimp has a sand vein running through it.Â* After peeling, slice raw
> shrimp down the center with a small paring knife and pull the
> (obvious) vein out.Â* Do try not to mutilate the shrimp in the process.
>
> Jill

Â* Don't they make a tool for that ?

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:57:16 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> That's very interesting, coming from dsi1. Are we witnessing a
> breakthrough moment in his awareness?

What can I say? My business is solving problems. I'm going to solve one of this group's problem by trimming all posts that I respond to. I find that I rather enjoy trimming posts. Everything nice and tidy eh? It's odd that nobody ever thought of this before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2017 10:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:57:16 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> That's very interesting, coming from dsi1. Are we witnessing a
>> breakthrough moment in his awareness?

> What can I say? My business is solving problems. I'm going to solve one of this group's problem by trimming all posts that I respond to. I find that I rather enjoy trimming posts. Everything nice and tidy eh? It's odd that nobody ever thought of this before.

if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
achieve the desired result?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 12:14:34 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
> achieve the desired result?

I don't feel any need to explain anything. Sorry. I suppose you could demand that I do. That's the usual Usenet scenario. Just see where that gets you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 3:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 12:14:34 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>>
>> if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
>> achieve the desired result?

> I don't feel any need to explain anything. Sorry. I suppose you could demand that I do. That's the usual Usenet scenario. Just see where that gets you.

No, I won't demand anything of you. But you are failing if you think
you are solving a problem just by stripping metadata off your posts
while not assisting others to do so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 5:30 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 05:10:13a, notbob told us...
>
>> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried
>>> shrimp if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>
>> nb

> I never said it bothered me. It doesn't. I only raised the quesion.

Well, it never bothered me before, but now it does. Thanks a heap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 05:10:13a, notbob told us...

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?

> I never said it bothered me. It doesn't. I only raised the quesion.

Noted.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Sep 2017 12:10:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>
>nb

More protein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2017 9:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/8/2017 8:49 PM, RichD wrote:
>> A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
>> or ribs, or something.Â* What does that mean?
>>

> Sliced and spread out flat.
>
>> Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".

> Shrimp has a sand vein running through it.

I love how they call it a 'vein'. Meaning digestive system.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/8/2017 10:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:57:16 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > That's very interesting, coming from dsi1. Are we witnessing a
> > > breakthrough moment in his awareness?

> > What can I say? My business is solving problems. I'm going to solve
> > one of this group's problem by trimming all posts that I respond
> > to. I find that I rather enjoy trimming posts. Everything nice and
> > tidy eh? It's odd that nobody ever thought of this before.
> >

> if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
> achieve the desired result?

Well, trail up and see that he removed all parts not replying to but
left the names who posted the parts still quoted.

How to achieve it? It's called a Mouse. Hopefully people will not
spin out of control and require defining what type or the country of
origin or even worse, want to know if it has a tail and how long ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
> > if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?

If the taste is right, enjoy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Shrimp has a sand vein running through it.

> I love how they call it a 'vein'. Meaning digestive system.

Yeah...it's the shrimp's colon...the poopy vein. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 7:24 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> What can I say? My business is solving problems. I'm going to solve
>>> one of this group's problem by trimming all posts that I respond
>>> to. I find that I rather enjoy trimming posts. Everything nice and
>>> tidy eh? It's odd that nobody ever thought of this before.
>>>

>> if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
>> achieve the desired result?

> Well, trail up and see that he removed all parts not replying to but
> left the names who posted the parts still quoted.
>
> How to achieve it? It's called a Mouse. Hopefully people will not
> spin out of control and require defining what type or the country of
> origin or even worse, want to know if it has a tail and how long ;-)

I was actually referring to the removal of metadata in links, but
somehow the post didn't hit the right part of the thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 9:09 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 08:53:14a, Taxed and Spent told us...

>>> Well, trail up and see that he removed all parts not replying to
>>> but left the names who posted the parts still quoted.
>>>
>>> How to achieve it? It's called a Mouse. Hopefully people will
>>> not spin out of control and require defining what type or the
>>> country of origin or even worse, want to know if it has a tail
>>> and how long ;-)
>>>

>> I was actually referring to the removal of metadata in links, but
>> somehow the post didn't hit the right part of the thread.
>>

> Ah, well, Metadata... If he things he can control anything in this
> group, then he's obviously got a lot of time on his hands and with
> very little luck for his effort. I would also question anyone's
> accuracy in pairing headeers with body content. It gets very messy.
> I'm not sure why he thinks he can CONTROL everything in this or any
> other group. All we need is another net nanny.

I would be happy to learn how to do it. I tried cutting some junk out
when metadata first started appearing in search hits, but it ended up
being a bad link.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 2:28:33 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> No, I won't demand anything of you. But you are failing if you think
> you are solving a problem just by stripping metadata off your posts
> while not assisting others to do so.

I wasn't talking about metadata. I'm talking about people complaining about excessive quoting who wait for other people to do it for them.

Shortening links might be a little tricky but it should be well within the ability of people that claim to have an IT background - but I might be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 9:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 2:28:33 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>>

>> No, I won't demand anything of you. But you are failing if you think
>> you are solving a problem just by stripping metadata off your posts
>> while not assisting others to do so.

> I wasn't talking about metadata. I'm talking about people complaining about excessive quoting who wait for other people to do it for them.

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 21:47:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

Please have some consideration for others and strip the metadata off the
link. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFR5H

Thank you.

> Shortening links might be a little tricky but it should be well within the ability of people that claim to have an IT background - but I might be wrong.

As I said in my other post: I tried cutting some junk out
when metadata first started appearing in search hits, but it ended up
being a bad link.

Maybe they became less nefarious in their links, or maybe not all links
are of the same ilk.

Maybe if you hadn't stripped so much of the thread text, this part of
the thread would be easier to follow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 06:54:09a, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Shrimp has a sand vein running through it.

>> I love how they call it a 'vein'. Meaning digestive system.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Indeed! Cookbooks constantly refer toit that way. You'd think they
> know better.

They do, but calling it the poop chute does not go well in cookbooks.
Bunch of prudes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 8:54:24 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 9/8/2017 9:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 9/8/2017 8:49 PM, RichD wrote:

> >> A recipe involving rack of lamb, called for "butterflied meat",
> >> or ribs, or something.Â* What does that mean?
> >>

> > Sliced and spread out flat.
> >
> >> Also, in a shrimp recipe, the instructions read "de-vein the shrimp".

> > Shrimp has a sand vein running through it.

> I love how they call it a 'vein'. Meaning digestive system.
>
> nancy

Yep, shrimp doo-doo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 6:31:23 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> Maybe if you hadn't stripped so much of the thread text, this part of
> the thread would be easier to follow.

So sue me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>
> nb

I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
worries about a vein.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > What can I say? My business is solving problems. I'm going to solve
>> > one of this group's problem by trimming all posts that I respond
>> > to. I find that I rather enjoy trimming posts. Everything nice and
>> > tidy eh? It's odd that nobody ever thought of this before.
>> >

>> if you are going to solve this problem, shouldn't you tell HOW to
>> achieve the desired result?

> Well, trail up and see that he removed all parts not replying to but
> left the names who posted the parts still quoted.
>
> How to achieve it? It's called a Mouse. Hopefully people will not
> spin out of control and require defining what type or the country of
> origin or even worse, want to know if it has a tail and how long ;-)

Looked fine to me, snipped for relevance.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

probably not worth the bother.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 7:15:58 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
> worries about a vein.
>
> Cheri

A lot of shrimp here is served like that. I like to cut through the back of the shrimp in a vain attempt to clear out the vein. If you ask me, shrimp should always be cooked with the shell on - but I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>
> nb

I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
worries about a vein.

Cheri

==

You eat the 'poop chute'????

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>
>> nb

> I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
> worries about a vein.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> You eat the 'poop chute'????

I sometimes deep fry shriimp in the shell, and eat it all.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 7:28:55 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> probably not worth the bother.

That's my point - it's not worth the bother. I could spend a lot of time trying to get yoose guys to post the way that suits me but it's not worth the bother.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:25:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>> > if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?

>If the taste is right, enjoy!

Would you eat a prawn poop burger as long as it tasted prawny?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:15:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>
>> nb

>I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
>worries about a vein.

The ultimate way is to cook them with the shell on, but to still make
an incision through the shell and remove the vein.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 12:32:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/9/2017 12:23 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 06:54:09a, Nancy Young told us...

>>> I love how they call it a 'vein'. Meaning digestive system.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> Indeed! Cookbooks constantly refer toit that way. You'd think they
>> know better.
>>

>They do, but calling it the poop chute does not go well in cookbooks.
>Bunch of prudes.

It would make more people remove it if they called it what it is.
Rather than walk around with prawn poop breath, because I bet they
don't brush their teeth either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 05:32:28 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 9/9/2017 5:30 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 05:10:13a, notbob told us...

>>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I never said it bothered me. It doesn't. I only raised the quesion.
>>

>Well, it never bothered me before, but now it does. Thanks a heap!

You know that slightly harder thing that you bite through when you eat
snails? That's its dick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2017 2:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?*
>>>
>>> nb

>> I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and
>> no worries about a vein.
>>
>> Cheri
>> ==
>>
>> You eat the 'poop chute'????

> I sometimes deep fry shriimp in the shell, and eat it all.
>
> Cheri

When I was a kid and mom served deep fried butterflied breaded shrimp
(frozen, no doubt) I'd eat the tail, too. Crunchy!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Sat 09 Sep 2017 11:11:23a, Cheri told us...

>>> I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very
>>> crispy and no worries about a vein.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>> ==
>>>
>>> You eat the 'poop chute'????

>> I sometimes deep fry shriimp in the shell, and eat it all.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I guess if you can't see it, it won't kill you! :-) That's my
> approah to eating deep fried shrimp, prawns, and scampi.

Yes, and they are small shrimp that I deep fry whole, 40 or so to a pound.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:15:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>>
>>> nb

>>I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
>>worries about a vein.

> The ultimate way is to cook them with the shell on, but to still make
> an incision through the shell and remove the vein.

Not with the smaller ones.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> When I was a kid and mom served deep fried butterflied breaded shrimp
> (frozen, no doubt) I'd eat the tail, too. Crunchy!
>
> Jill

Yes, I eat the tails too. Tasty.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 13:21:38 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:15:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
>>>worries about a vein.

>> The ultimate way is to cook them with the shell on, but to still make
>> an incision through the shell and remove the vein.

>Not with the smaller ones.

No, that's not doable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2017-09-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> I've often wondered when one is served breaded or battered fried shrimp
>>> if all restaurants (or suppliers) remove the "vein" first.

>> If you cannot tell, why would it bother you?
>>
>> nb

> I sometimes make the deep fried shrimp with shells on, very crispy and no
> worries about a vein.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> You eat the 'poop chute'????

I sometimes deep fry shriimp in the shell, and eat it all.

Cheri

==

;-)

--