Old 16-11-2004, 08:02 PM
RiKK

Default Where can I buy already-popped, plain, unflavored popcorn?

I'm trying to recreate the yummy but overpriced boy scout chocolate
caramel popcorn. Found an easy-sounding recipe involving popcorn,
chocolate chips, and caramel. But I can't believe that the hard part is
finding popcorn.

Grocery stores near me sell PLENTY of already-popped flavored (butter,
cheese especially), and popped and salted plain popcorn. But so far,
everyone I've asked has said that the kind of popcorn I need - unsalted,
unflavored - I can only get by buying unpopped popcorn then popping it
myself in an oil or hot air popper.

Any ideas where I can buy popcorn for what I need? I don't care if it's
simple, plain microwave (no butter preferred, no salt definitely) or
already-popped.

Old 16-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Mark Thorson

RiKK wrote:

I'm trying to recreate the yummy but overpriced boy scout
chocolate caramel popcorn. Found an easy-sounding recipe
involving popcorn, chocolate chips, and caramel. But I can't
believe that the hard part is finding popcorn.

Maybe the recipe would be better using puffed wheat or rice.
They are most often sold unflavored and unsalted.

Old 16-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Dave Smith

RiKK wrote:

Any ideas where I can buy popcorn for what I need? I don't care if it's
simple, plain microwave (no butter preferred, no salt definitely) or
already-popped.

Do they not sell regular popping corn in the grocery stores. I used to make
caramel corn once in a while when our son was around but haven't made it in
years. I never had trouble finding it in a grocery store of bulk food
store.

Old 16-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Dawn

RiKK wrote:

everyone I've asked has said that the kind of popcorn I need - unsalted,
unflavored - I can only get by buying unpopped popcorn then popping it
myself in an oil or hot air popper.

What's the problem with popping it yourself? It's cheap and fast.

Any ideas where I can buy popcorn for what I need? I don't care if it's
simple, plain microwave (no butter preferred, no salt definitely) or
already-popped.

There's a chain of popcorn stores in the midwest called, I think,
Topsy's. Perhaps they'd make you plain unsalted popcorn in quantity.
Perhaps there is a store like that in your area. It won't be as cheap as
doing it yourself, and expense seems to be a concern of yours.

Dawn

Old 16-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Nancy Young

Dawn wrote:

RiKK wrote:

everyone I've asked has said that the kind of popcorn I need - unsalted,
unflavored - I can only get by buying unpopped popcorn then popping it
myself in an oil or hot air popper.

What's the problem with popping it yourself? It's cheap and fast.

That's why I thought it was a troll.

nancy

Old 16-11-2004, 09:26 PM
George

"RiKK" wrote in message
I'm trying to recreate the yummy but overpriced boy scout chocolate
caramel popcorn. Found an easy-sounding recipe involving popcorn,
chocolate chips, and caramel. But I can't believe that the hard part is
finding popcorn.

Grocery stores near me sell PLENTY of already-popped flavored (butter,
cheese especially), and popped and salted plain popcorn. But so far,
everyone I've asked has said that the kind of popcorn I need - unsalted,
unflavored - I can only get by buying unpopped popcorn then popping it
myself in an oil or hot air popper.

Any ideas where I can buy popcorn for what I need? I don't care if it's
simple, plain microwave (no butter preferred, no salt definitely) or
already-popped.

Why not just pop it as required? We have a popper (that cost maybe $6.00)
that pops at least 4 quarts in a few minutes in the nuker with no oil. You
would just need a bag of regular popcorn and a similar unit.

Old 16-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Gabby

"RiKK" wrote in message
I'm trying to recreate the yummy but overpriced boy scout chocolate
caramel popcorn.

But, but, but...it's a fund raiser. You get a great product plus the great
feeling of having contributed to a worthwhile cause.

Gabby

Old 16-11-2004, 11:24 PM
RiKK

Dawn wrote:

RiKK wrote:

everyone I've asked has said that the kind of popcorn I need - unsalted,
unflavored - I can only get by buying unpopped popcorn then popping it
myself in an oil or hot air popper.

What's the problem with popping it yourself? It's cheap and fast.

Any ideas where I can buy popcorn for what I need? I don't care if it's
simple, plain microwave (no butter preferred, no salt definitely) or
already-popped.

There's a chain of popcorn stores in the midwest called, I think,
Topsy's. Perhaps they'd make you plain unsalted popcorn in quantity.
Perhaps there is a store like that in your area. It won't be as cheap as
doing it yourself, and expense seems to be a concern of yours.

Dawn

The problem with popping it myself is that I lack a popper, and don't
feel like spending the money on something I'll use a couple times a year
max and then have taking up precious space the rest of the time.