Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swiss Cheese

My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work well
in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese
that is affordable. I used it today in the salad. Only problem was that I
think I accidentally tossed out the flat leaved parsley that I bought,
mistaking it for the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or I didn't
actually buy it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.

Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to find?
Affordable?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 2:48:36 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work well
> in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese
> that is affordable. I used it today in the salad. Only problem was that I
> think I accidentally tossed out the flat leaved parsley that I bought,
> mistaking it for the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or I didn't
> actually buy it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
>
> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to find?
> Affordable?

Easy to find. I don't know what you would call affordable. I buy pre-sliced
mass-market Swiss for a few dollars per pound and Gruyere for about
$18 per pound.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work well
> in this salad.

Cabot or some cheese company makes those 8oz blocks of cheese
but it's inferior stuff, imo. I do like their x-sharp cheddar.

Look in your deli. They can cut it as thick as you want it.
If they won't cut very thick, you can warm up a pile of thin
slices and press them down with your hand to cut into chunks.

> Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese
> that is affordable. I used it today in the salad.

Well, sounds like you solved your own problem. Where in store
do you find Tillamook. I've heard that name mentioned but only
here in RFC.

> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to find?
> Affordable?

I love swiss cheese.
Always easy to find decent in the deli.
There are cheese specialty stores around here but I've
never gone to one.

Here's something that I (just this minute) found out....
I asked for a half pound of domestic swiss cheese.
That half pound cost me $5.60 the other morning.

It never cost anywhere near that much before and my
other store's price is about 1/2 that price.
Anyway, I asked for it so I bought it.

Just this morning, I looked and found out they gave me
Boar's Head overpriced swiss cheese, not the domestic
that I had asked for. dammit.

It's also not even quite as good as the "domestic"
that I like. I think "Land o Lakes" makes that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to put shred swiss on pizza but I now think it gets rubbery when heated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> juliebove says...
> > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to find?
> > Affordable?

> Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
> mean?

As much as I do like swiss cheese, I shouldn't limit myself to
what the grocery stores offer. As I mentioned in another post, I
do have some cheese specialty shops nearby. I would probably be
happy if I did a swiss cheese search for and try different
brands.

I don't constantly have swiss on hand but when I do, I wouldn't
mind paying more for something that I like much more.

So far, from grocery store deli's, Boar's Head varieties bore me
and are overpriced for what they offer. The grocery store
"domestic swiss" win so far...taste and cost wise.

I think my city does have a "cheese tasting" event once a year or
so. I plan to go to it next time I see it coming. I am very
'cheese challenged' and it would be worth the entry money just to
taste so many different kinds. I'm sure I would find at least a
few that I love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work
> well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss
> cheese that is affordable. I used it today in the salad. Only problem
> was that I think I accidentally tossed out the flat leaved parsley that
> I bought, mistaking it for the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or
> I didn't actually buy it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
>
> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
> find? Affordable?

It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you can
have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile, so I
don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.

MaryL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:40:08 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
> mean?
> Janet UK

In the US they usually mean the one with fairly big holes all through
it. I think it's a Gruyere.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 15:08:44 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

> In the US they usually mean the one with fairly big holes all through
> it. I think it's a Gruyere.

Oops I meant Emmental. Sorry.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Swiss very easy to find, in blocks, slices, cracker cuts.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:40:08 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> > Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
> > mean?
> > Janet UK

> In the US they usually mean the one with fairly big holes all through
> it. I think it's a Gruyere.

In the US, sold as two separate cheeses...Swiss and Emmental.

Did you ever hear the old joke? -
The early bird gets the worm but
the 2nd mouse gets the cheese. ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 07:03:54 -0500, MaryL
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>On 9/2/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
>> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
>> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work
>> well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss
>> cheese that is affordable. I used it today in the salad. Only problem
>> was that I think I accidentally tossed out the flat leaved parsley that
>> I bought, mistaking it for the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or
>> I didn't actually buy it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
>>
>> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
>> find? Affordable?
>>

>It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you can
>have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile, so I
>don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.
>
>MaryL

Hello there, is it my imagination or have you not been around for
awhile?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 15:08:44 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:40:08 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
>> mean?
>> Janet UK

>In the US they usually mean the one with fairly big holes all through
>it. I think it's a Gruyere.

I think you're correct but I prefer Emmental
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-02 10:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
>>> find?
>>> Affordable?

>> Â*Â* SwitzerlandÂ* makes hundreds ofÂ* different cheeses, which one do you
>> mean?
>>
>> Â*Â* Janet UK
>>

> She wants the yellow with holes in it.Â* To 95% of Americans that is the
> only kind.Â* If you buy the sliced stuff from the deli it tastes like
> wax.Â* I never ate Swiss for years because of limited exposure to that
> crap.Â* One day I had a good one and it changed my cheese buying.Â* Now I
> can enjoy some of the finer Swiss.

In North America Swiss Cheese is generally the stuff with holes, or
eyes. The domestic stuff here is generally substandard, like the local
"Parmesan", but the imported is quite good. Swiss cheese is very low in
lactose, so people with a lactose intolerance can usually get away with
eating it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 5:32 AM, wrote:
> I used to put shred swiss on pizza but I now think it gets rubbery when heated.

It does, fresh motzarella is tops!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <nn7lqc1it4n9q7frso8hipsh6ca2ds4a92
@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>,
lid says...

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:40:08 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> > Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
> > mean?
> > Janet UK

> In the US they usually mean the one with fairly big holes all through
> it. I think it's a Gruyere.

That's Emmental.

Gruyere has no holes.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 8:25 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 07:03:54 -0500, MaryL
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
>>> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
>>> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work
>>> well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss
>>> cheese that is affordable. I used it today in the salad. Only problem
>>> was that I think I accidentally tossed out the flat leaved parsley that
>>> I bought, mistaking it for the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or
>>> I didn't actually buy it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
>>> find? Affordable?
>>>

>> It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you can
>> have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile, so I
>> don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.
>>
>> MaryL

> Hello there, is it my imagination or have you not been around for
> awhile?

It's not your imagination. I had some illness, so I was reading the
newsgroup but not posting. Incidentally, I live in East Texas but I am
considerably north of Houston. Fortunately, we did not have any
Hurricane Harvey problems here. That is a true catastrophe. Thanks for
asking.

MaryL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The only kind of mozarella I ever see is the low fat kind which is awful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

It's not your imagination. I had some illness, so I was reading the
newsgroup but not posting. Incidentally, I live in East Texas but I am
considerably north of Houston. Fortunately, we did not have any
Hurricane Harvey problems here. That is a true catastrophe. Thanks for
asking.

MaryL

==

Good to see you back and that you are better now

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 9:21 AM, wrote:
> The only kind of mozarella I ever see is the low fat kind which is awful.

Agreed.

Try:

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Mozzare...esh+motzarella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 9:43 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Will I regret asking this?
>
> -sw

Choke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 9:48 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Gryuere is a much more distinguished cheese.
>
> -sw

Choke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2017 11:08 AM, Janet wrote:

> I'm not talking about different brands. There are umpteen different
> varieties of cheeses made in Switzerland; that means different recipes
> and method, different textures, different looks.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-
> cheese_n_966145.html

But only one type is referred to as Swiss cheese, I don't think anyone
thinks that's all they make.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:13:25 -0500, MaryL
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>>> It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you can
>>> have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile, so I
>>> don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Hello there, is it my imagination or have you not been around for
>> awhile?
>>

>It's not your imagination. I had some illness, so I was reading the
>newsgroup but not posting. Incidentally, I live in East Texas but I am
>considerably north of Houston. Fortunately, we did not have any
>Hurricane Harvey problems here. That is a true catastrophe. Thanks for
>asking.
>
>MaryL

Well glad you are back up and running again. Also nice to know you
are clear of the disaster area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese. Swiss
>> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find it, it's not
>> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices. Slices don't work
>> well
>> in this salad.

> Cabot or some cheese company makes those 8oz blocks of cheese
> but it's inferior stuff, imo. I do like their x-sharp cheddar.
>
> Look in your deli. They can cut it as thick as you want it.
> If they won't cut very thick, you can warm up a pile of thin
> slices and press them down with your hand to cut into chunks.

It is available in the deli deptartmen but very expensive.

>> Thankfully, Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese
>> that is affordable. I used it today in the salad.

> Well, sounds like you solved your own problem. Where in store
> do you find Tillamook. I've heard that name mentioned but only
> here in RFC.

With the cheaper cheeses. Not sure it is available where you are. It's made
in Oregon.

>> Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to find?
>> Affordable?

> I love swiss cheese.
> Always easy to find decent in the deli.
> There are cheese specialty stores around here but I've
> never gone to one.
>
> Here's something that I (just this minute) found out....
> I asked for a half pound of domestic swiss cheese.
> That half pound cost me $5.60 the other morning.
>
> It never cost anywhere near that much before and my
> other store's price is about 1/2 that price.
> Anyway, I asked for it so I bought it.
>
> Just this morning, I looked and found out they gave me
> Boar's Head overpriced swiss cheese, not the domestic
> that I had asked for. dammit.
>
> It's also not even quite as good as the "domestic"
> that I like. I think "Land o Lakes" makes that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> Subject: Swiss Cheese
> From: Nancy Young >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> On 9/2/2017 11:08 AM, Janet wrote:
>
> > [quoted text muted]
> > varieties of cheeses made in Switzerland; that means different recipes
> > and method, different textures, different looks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-
> > cheese_n_966145.html

> But only one type is referred to as Swiss cheese,

in America. I'm not in America.

Outside of the USA, nobody has a clue which one type Americans mean
when they talk about Swiss cheese.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 20:40:06 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> Subject: Swiss Cheese
>> From: Nancy Young >
>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>>
>> On 9/2/2017 11:08 AM, Janet wrote:
>>
>> > [quoted text muted]
>> > varieties of cheeses made in Switzerland; that means different recipes
>> > and method, different textures, different looks.
>> >
>> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-
>> > cheese_n_966145.html

>> But only one type is referred to as Swiss cheese,

>in America. I'm not in America.
>
> Outside of the USA, nobody has a clue which one type Americans mean
>when they talk about Swiss cheese.

True.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 3:47:11 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 09:56:30 -0400, wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:40:08 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> >
> >>In article >,
says...

> >> Switzerland makes hundreds of different cheeses, which one do you
> >>mean?
> >>
> >> Janet UK

> >Probably means the one with large holes... typically refered to as
> >"Switzerland Swiss". There are many domestic Swiss cheeses in the US

> "domestic Swiss cheeses in the US". You speak a quaint language over
> there.

Domestic Swiss-style cheeses, to be precise. We also have domestic
gouda, cheddar, and parmesan. The U.S. simply doesn't respect
nomenclature conventions of other countries.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 13:05:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 3:47:11 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

says...

>> >Probably means the one with large holes... typically refered to as
>> >"Switzerland Swiss". There are many domestic Swiss cheeses in the US

>> "domestic Swiss cheeses in the US". You speak a quaint language over
>> there.

>Domestic Swiss-style cheeses, to be precise. We also have domestic
>gouda, cheddar, and parmesan. The U.S. simply doesn't respect
>nomenclature conventions of other countries.

Americans and Australians tend to reduce food items to one country.
What you call Swiss cheese isn't uniquely Swiss. Same with Danish
pastry and French fries. There must be more. Oh, Dutch babies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 4:10:05 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 13:05:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

says...

> >> "domestic Swiss cheeses in the US". You speak a quaint language over
> >> there.

> >Domestic Swiss-style cheeses, to be precise. We also have domestic
> >gouda, cheddar, and parmesan. The U.S. simply doesn't respect
> >nomenclature conventions of other countries.

> Americans and Australians tend to reduce food items to one country.
> What you call Swiss cheese isn't uniquely Swiss. Same with Danish
> pastry and French fries. There must be more. Oh, Dutch babies.

It goes the other way, too. Kielbasa is the Polish word for "sausage",
yet it's only applied to one or two kinds of Polish sausage that are
popular here.

As far as cheese goes, we probably came by it honestly. Immigrants
came, made the cheeses they always made, and the names became
associated. The cheese made by that Swiss immigrant down the road
obviously is Swiss cheese. Never mind that aging it in his basement
isn't quite the same as aging it in a cave.

Then along came the food industry, and scraped everything down to
the least common denominator.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 13:25:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 4:10:05 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 13:05:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Domestic Swiss-style cheeses, to be precise. We also have domestic
>> >gouda, cheddar, and parmesan. The U.S. simply doesn't respect
>> >nomenclature conventions of other countries.

>> Americans and Australians tend to reduce food items to one country.
>> What you call Swiss cheese isn't uniquely Swiss. Same with Danish
>> pastry and French fries. There must be more. Oh, Dutch babies.

>It goes the other way, too. Kielbasa is the Polish word for "sausage",
>yet it's only applied to one or two kinds of Polish sausage that are
>popular here.
>
>As far as cheese goes, we probably came by it honestly. Immigrants
>came, made the cheeses they always made, and the names became
>associated. The cheese made by that Swiss immigrant down the road
>obviously is Swiss cheese. Never mind that aging it in his basement
>isn't quite the same as aging it in a cave.

It must have been a matter of timing and location that 'Swiss' became
the label instead of one of the many other European
countries/immigrants that make similar cheese.

>Then along came the food industry, and scraped everything down to
>the least common denominator.

Yes, they're good at that.