Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swiss Cheese

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-03, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> yellow cheese or orange cheese think it is better than the other way
>> because they were raised on it.

> As I stated in an earlier post, CA markets only sold "yellow"
> cheese/butter, fer decades.
>
> I never even knew white cheddar existed until I was in my early 20s
> (in da 70s) and took a trip back East. I didn't run across white
> cheddar, again, until one local CA sprmkt chain sold 5 yr old Cabot
> Cheddar around the Xmas holidays (80s). It was white and the best
> cheddar I've ever had. Now, white cheddar is quite common, here in

I used to have a book that was all about cheese. Published perhaps in the
1960's. Said cheese on the east was white and devoid of annatto. Cheese in
the west was more of a yellow due to annatto, and in the south, it was more
orange. Things have changed since then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 17:17:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 15:05:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Don't check. Just eat yer cheese toasties and be happy. Here's my sandwich. That's 100% real American cheese in there, dammit!
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...7OKi9lp4MXTZbW

>> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

>Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.

Didn't they copy the idea of adding colouring to cheese from the
British? In that case, they went where others had gone before them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 15:05:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>> >Don't check. Just eat yer cheese toasties and be happy. Here's my sandwich. That's 100% real American cheese in there, dammit!
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...7OKi9lp4MXTZbW

>> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

>Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.

Actually dying cheese yellow is a British thing:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...-orange-cheese
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2017 6:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 15:05:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>>> Don't check. Just eat yer cheese toasties and be happy. Here's my sandwich. That's 100% real American cheese in there, dammit!
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...7OKi9lp4MXTZbW

>> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

> Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.

USA! USA! USA!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have only ever had Sargento Aged Baby Swiss...unless I make a special stop
at the deli, it is either that or Kraft, or some outrageously "precious" expensive
imported cheese which hasn't a distinctive taste, to me.

And Swiss, no matter what brand, baby or otherwise, is very pale yellow, never
orange, at least in my part of the world...even from the deli counter.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2017 8:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Perhaps she forgot her imaginary list of foods that
> make her violently ill.
>
> -sw

Choke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2017 8:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> pizza made with FRESH MOZZARELLA.
>
> -sw

Choke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 18:08:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2017-09-03 4:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:00:40 -0500, "cshenk" >

> wrote: >>
> >> I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
> >> cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the

> only >> cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to
> assume >> the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I
> don't know >> about jabs or Julie or Washington State.
> >
> > Does it really matter? Throughout the US and Canada, the cheese
> > with holes that comes from Switzerland, and the locally made
> > imitations are called Swiss Cheese here. The better cheese shops
> > may carry a white range of Swiss made cheese and sell them under
> > their real names. Hell, the single most common cheese sold around
> > here is Cheddar, and it doesn't come from Cheddar. It doesn't even
> > really taste like good cheddar.

> No , it doesn't matter. Mars bars don't come from Mars either. But
> it's good to point out what North Americans mean whan they say "Swiss
> cheese". Cshenkie immediately sees that as criticism of the US, where
> none was intended. That's why this is dragged out so much.

The criticism is you calling me cshenkie.

That you didnt read the thread, is your own fault. I dont read them al
either but I dont go on tirades blaming others over what i haven't read.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...ve-guide-to-sw
> > > iss- cheese_n_966145.html
> > >
> >> Janet UK

> > Understood Janet, but the question was from Julie. I'd take it as a
> > given she meant what the basic USA version is.
> >

> (snippage)
>
> Very true, Carol. It resembles Emmental but I doubt she'd be using
> imported cheese to make pasta salad.
>
> Jill

Yup, hard to say unless she answers. Probably a domestic USA version
;-)
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/2/2017 5:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >>"Janet" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> > > The one that is called Swiss.

> > We know what you mean Julie. A few overseas from USA may have been
> > confused. You also have some being entirely pedantic now.
> >
> > Now, what brand did you find worked for you and what was the price?
> >

> She said Tillamook. Of course then she had more problems. <sigh>
>
> Jill

Happens. I no longer worry about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 22:27:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 18:08:02 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> only >> cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to
>> assume >> the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I
>> don't know >> about jabs or Julie or Washington State.
>> >
>> > Does it really matter? Throughout the US and Canada, the cheese
>> > with holes that comes from Switzerland, and the locally made
>> > imitations are called Swiss Cheese here. The better cheese shops
>> > may carry a white range of Swiss made cheese and sell them under
>> > their real names. Hell, the single most common cheese sold around
>> > here is Cheddar, and it doesn't come from Cheddar. It doesn't even
>> > really taste like good cheddar.

>> No , it doesn't matter. Mars bars don't come from Mars either. But
>> it's good to point out what North Americans mean whan they say "Swiss
>> cheese". Cshenkie immediately sees that as criticism of the US, where
>> none was intended. That's why this is dragged out so much.

>The criticism is you calling me cshenkie.
>
>That you didnt read the thread, is your own fault. I dont read them al
>either but I dont go on tirades blaming others over what i haven't read.

I wasn't blaming anybody for anything. You're completely stuck in your
own bubble again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/2/2017 5:13 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.
> > > Swiss cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
> > > it, it's not always affordable and sometimes only comes in
> > > slices. Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully,
> > > Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese that is affordable.

> (snip)
> > >
> > > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy
> > > to find? Affordable?

> > What price do you consider reasonable?
> >

> > To me it varies with level of the cheese. Usually 5$ a lb for
> > regular stuff in the cheddar/swiss/mozz, I might go up to 18$ for a
> > special hard cheese where a little goes a long way.
> >

> Yes, it does depend on the cheese. If I was making something like a
> pasta salad I'd probably buy a small (8 oz.) block of Kraft "Swiss"
> and cut it into chunks.
>
> Imported cheeses are obviously going to cost more. I buy a small
> wedge of imported Parmesan for grating; it costs about $12 but that's
> okay because it lasts for a long time. For imported Emmental, likely
> a small block would cost $8-10. Not what I'd use in a pasta salad.
>
> I've never had a problem finding the kind of "Swiss" cheese she's
> looking for. Nor imported cheeses.
>
> Jill

Nor me finding them and yeah, I'd use basic stuff in a pasta salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 17:17:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

> >Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.

> Didn't they copy the idea of adding colouring to cheese from the
> British? In that case, they went where others had gone before them

The Brits may have started the practice but we made cheese bold and vibrant and improved its shelf life and cooking qualities. We made a great product that requires no refrigeration and which will be available for consumption long after we've been nuked and stumbling zombie-like through the rubble that used to be our domain. It is simply cheese perfected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 3:04:29 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/3/2017 6:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

> >> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

> > Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.
> >

> USA! USA! USA!

My understanding is that if you eat a sandwich made with American Cheese and White Bread every day, Trump will no longer seem to be all that bad of a president. My theory is it's because of all that annatto in the cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 02:04:05 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 17:17:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.

>> Didn't they copy the idea of adding colouring to cheese from the
>> British? In that case, they went where others had gone before them

>The Brits may have started the practice but we made cheese bold and vibrant and improved its shelf life and cooking qualities. We made a great product that requires no refrigeration and which will be available for consumption long after we've been nuked and stumbling zombie-like through the rubble that used to be our domain. It is simply cheese perfected.

I'm in shock and awe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 9:33:42 PM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> I have only ever had Sargento Aged Baby Swiss...unless I make a special stop
> at the deli, it is either that or Kraft, or some outrageously "precious" expensive
> imported cheese which hasn't a distinctive taste, to me.
>
> And Swiss, no matter what brand, baby or otherwise, is very pale yellow, never
> orange, at least in my part of the world...even from the deli counter.
>
> N.

I don't think anybody has said that any kind of Swiss is orange. However,
Kraft Swiss is lightly colored. Looks like Sargento isn't.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 10:38:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 13:14:02 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

> >> Swiss cheese is something else to me and I wouldn't have any idea what
> >> American cheese is. My guess would be a heavily processed cheese.

> >Bingo! I bought some American cheese yesterday. Legally, it cannot be
> >called "cheese." We like to call it "process cheese food" or "process
> >cheese spread." I want to make some grilled cheese sandwich and am tired
> >of those fancy schmancy cheese that we've been getting. It just don't
> >melt properly.

> I make cheese toasties with standard Australian cheese, low fat or
> not, and that works well. I should check if they've got a melty helper
> chemical added to them. I don't think so.

Don't check. Just eat yer cheese toasties and be happy. Here's my sandwich.
That's 100% real American cheese in there, dammit!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...7OKi9lp4MXTZbW

==

Whatever it is, it looks really good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 17:17:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> With orange colouring by the looks of it. Very melty though.

> >Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone
> >before. It is this character that made US great.

> Didn't they copy the idea of adding colouring to cheese from the
> British? In that case, they went where others had gone before them

The Brits may have started the practice but we made cheese bold and vibrant
and improved its shelf life and cooking qualities. We made a great product
that requires no refrigeration and which will be available for consumption
long after we've been nuked and stumbling zombie-like through the rubble
that used to be our domain. It is simply cheese perfected.

==

lol it would certainly be good in that situation)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I bought some Kerrygold Irish Butter. It was definitely a darker
> yellow than any butter I've ever seen. I no longer buy it.
>
> <http://hopecentric.com/why-i-stopped-buying-kerrygold-butter/>

I occasionally buy some Finlandia butter. It's richer and
very good to spread on soft white bread or rolls. I don't
use it for cooking though - plain domestic butter for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 11:54:33 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> Some of the Swiss sold here in the US is very good....one brand

> sells >> a "baby Swiss" that is Labeled "aged," and it is quite
> tasty. It is >> little bitty holes, and not a lot of them. Maybe it
> is Sargento....? >>
> >> N.

> > Humm, might be. It sounds like a knock-off of German 'Butterkaiser'
> > (spelling may not match Europe).

> No, it isn't the same cheese. The name is butterkase (I'd put the
> umlaut in if I knew how to on this keyboard) where ever you are,
> kaiser is the roll. Here is butterkase in this link.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterk%C3%A4se
> Janet US

Yup, I just can't spell ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> In the world of cartoons, there is only one type of cheese. They all come with holes and they're all yellow.

LOL! You're right too! heheheh ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-09-03, cshenk > wrote:
> >> a "baby Swiss" that is Labeled "aged," and it is quite tasty. It

> is >> little bitty holes, and not a lot of them. Maybe it is
> Sargento....?
>
> Hardly!
>
> Sargento is even worse than CA's "It's the milk!" bulk crap cheese.
> I wouldn't eat Sargento cheese with yer mouth!!
>
> nb

Careful trimming there! That was Nancy

">Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Some of the Swiss sold here in the US is very good....one brand sells
>> a "baby Swiss" that is Labeled "aged," and it is quite tasty. It is
>> little bitty holes, and not a lot of them. Maybe it is Sargento....?
>>
>> N."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2017 3:07 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 3:04:29 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>>> Americans like their cheese a bold yellow. We go where no man has gone before. It is this character that made US great.
>>>

>> USA! USA! USA!

> My understanding is that if you eat a sandwich made with American Cheese and White Bread every day, Trump will no longer seem to be all that bad of a president. My theory is it's because of all that annatto in the cheese.

What's "bad" about him?

He evenhandedly SAVED SCOTUS with the Gorsuch appointment.

That bears a generation's worth of gratitude.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/2/2017 5:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >>"Janet" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> > > The one that is called Swiss.

> > We know what you mean Julie. A few overseas from USA may have been
> > confused. You also have some being entirely pedantic now.
> >
> > Now, what brand did you find worked for you and what was the price?
> >

> She said Tillamook. Of course then she had more problems. <sigh>
>
> Jill

Oh forgot to add, Tillamook is supposed to be a little upscale of kraft
and such right? (If it actually is better, I'm not sure as I don't
recall trying it, only seeing it someplace local).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/2/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.
> > Swiss cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
> > it, it's not always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices.
> > Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now
> > makes a really good Swiss cheese that is affordable. I used it
> > today in the salad. Only problem was that I think I accidentally
> > tossed out the flat leaved parsley that I bought, mistaking it for
> > the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or I didn't actually buy
> > it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
> >
> > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
> > find? Affordable?
> >

> It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you
> can have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile,
> so I don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.
>
> MaryL

If it helps, the deli swiss versions here are generally 8.99-11.99lb
depending on brand.

I tend more to get the Havarti instead. Seems to lend itself better to
my cookery than actual swiss does though they look a little similar in
a lot of cases with the fine grained holes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 09:11:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> sells >> a "baby Swiss" that is Labeled "aged," and it is quite
>> tasty. It is >> little bitty holes, and not a lot of them. Maybe it
>> is Sargento....? >>
>> >
>> > Humm, might be. It sounds like a knock-off of German 'Butterkaiser'
>> > (spelling may not match Europe).

>> No, it isn't the same cheese. The name is butterkase (I'd put the
>> umlaut in if I knew how to on this keyboard) where ever you are,
>> kaiser is the roll. Here is butterkase in this link.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterk%C3%A4se
>> Janet US

>Yup, I just can't spell ;-)

butterkase is a semi soft cheese somewhat similar to muenster not at
all like what we in the US call Swiss. Check the link for details
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 09:27:02 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>MaryL wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 9/2/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.
>> > Swiss cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
>> > it, it's not always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices.
>> > Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now
>> > makes a really good Swiss cheese that is affordable. I used it
>> > today in the salad. Only problem was that I think I accidentally
>> > tossed out the flat leaved parsley that I bought, mistaking it for
>> > the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or I didn't actually buy
>> > it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
>> >
>> > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
>> > find? Affordable?
>> >

>> It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and you
>> can have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been awhile,
>> so I don't know what the price is; but cheese can be pricey.
>>
>> MaryL

>If it helps, the deli swiss versions here are generally 8.99-11.99lb
>depending on brand.
>
>I tend more to get the Havarti instead. Seems to lend itself better to
>my cookery than actual swiss does though they look a little similar in
>a lot of cases with the fine grained holes.

Do you really mean havarti? Havarti is another semi-soft, somewhat
creamy cheese for table use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:43:49 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:48:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.

> Swiss >> cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
> it, it's not >> always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices.
> Slices don't work well >> in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now
> makes a really good Swiss cheese >> that is affordable. I used it
> today in the salad.
> >
> > How would you know if it's any good if dairy/milk makes you
> > violently ill? Or was that last month allergy? Will I regret
> > asking this?

> Hmm... silence. Perhaps she forgot her imaginary list of foods that
> make her violently ill.
>
> -sw

Julie has a somewhat unique diabetic condition that causes certain
foods to not metabolize correctly. It may seem odd but that actually
can and does swap around a bit. Her swaps do seem more radical than
most, but that they can happen is true.

I didn't know that at first either but a friend of mine (Susan) has had
issues with it in the past. Under a Doctors care, they worked out that
Susan has to be a variety eater as too much of any one thing can cause
her to develop a reaction to it.

Things my friend has reacted to in the past but can now handle in
moderation: corn, wheat gluten*, strawberries, lamb**, MSG***, grapes,
kiwi fruit, tomatoes, and a few others I am forgetting now.

Wheat Gluten- she's eased up on this a bit and is finding like many
that she tolerates older culitvars like Spelt and Einkorn well enough

Lamb- She thinks it's possibly the sauce she used that may be related
but not sure. HUGE sale related and she packed a chest freezer with
it. Hence, ate a lot of lamb in a short period. Now can eat it again
in limited amounts.

MSG- This is an odd one that she says she's always had. Susan isn't
one to fake things at all so I think she's the rare one who actually is
sensitive to higher than normal MSG levels. Normal levels in things
like fresh mushrooms are no issue. This one she just avoids forever.

One other tie to this that many pet owners here may have experienced.
Dogs are particularily prone to this. Over feeding any one protien or
grain can cause allergic reactions (itching, over grooming, ear
infections). Most common is actually the meat type because we shoppers
tend to find one the dog likes, and feed it forever. Next up is corn
and wheat. Unlike Susan and Julie, dogs don't get over these
sensitivity/allergies developed from over exposure.

So in the end, if Julie seems to flip flop, that could actually be what
is happening. She might be exagurating it a bit (probably is but may
be unaware of it) but you'll see the main ones that cycle stay the same
for a long time then slowly re-enter the diet. I also suspect there
may be a gallbladder issue due to her fat reactions but that's just
because I know a little about that from other family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/2/2017 5:13 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.
> > > Swiss cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
> > > it, it's not always affordable and sometimes only comes in
> > > slices. Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully,
> > > Tillamook now makes a really good Swiss cheese that is affordable.

> (snip)
> > >
> > > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy
> > > to find? Affordable?

> > What price do you consider reasonable?
> >

> > To me it varies with level of the cheese. Usually 5$ a lb for
> > regular stuff in the cheddar/swiss/mozz, I might go up to 18$ for a
> > special hard cheese where a little goes a long way.
> >

> Yes, it does depend on the cheese. If I was making something like a
> pasta salad I'd probably buy a small (8 oz.) block of Kraft "Swiss"
> and cut it into chunks.
>
> Imported cheeses are obviously going to cost more. I buy a small
> wedge of imported Parmesan for grating; it costs about $12 but that's
> okay because it lasts for a long time. For imported Emmental, likely
> a small block would cost $8-10. Not what I'd use in a pasta salad.
>
> I've never had a problem finding the kind of "Swiss" cheese she's
> looking for. Nor imported cheeses.
>
> Jill

Nor me, but I'm finding the discussion with what others like, rather
fun!

I'm about to make bread (out here) and looking at my cheese stash. I
think I will go a rye/white flour with some needs to be used up
havarti-dill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
> > My favorite pasta salad recipe calls for chunks of Swiss cheese.
> > Swiss cheese hasn't always been easy to find and when I do find
> > it, it's not always affordable and sometimes only comes in slices.
> > Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully, Tillamook now
> > makes a really good Swiss cheese that is affordable. I used it
> > today in the salad. Only problem was that I think I accidentally
> > tossed out the flat leaved parsley that I bought, mistaking it for
> > the rest of the old cilantro. Either that or I didn't actually buy
> > it. I'll have to buy more tomorrow.
> >
> > Anyway... What's the Swiss cheese situation where you live? Easy to
> > find? Affordable?
> >

> We have Swiss cheese up to your arm pits. Down here we have what we
> call grocery stores. The cheese is always in the cooler section
> typically next to the sour cream and cold cuts. You can buy it
> sliced, cubed, in 8 -32 oz bricks. Heck we even have it shredded in
> plastic bags for those convenience minded eaters. We have light
> Swiss, non-fat Swiss, whole milk Swiss. We even have Swiss cheese
> snacks. Store delis often have premade sandwiches like turkey and
> Swiss cheese. What we lack is Swizz - canned aerosol Swiss.
>

> ---

LOL! Swizz! Love the idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2017 12:08 AM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> (snip)

>>> What price do you consider reasonable?
>>>

>>> To me it varies with level of the cheese. Usually 5$ a lb for
>>> regular stuff in the cheddar/swiss/mozz, I might go up to 18$ for a
>>> special hard cheese where a little goes a long way.
>>>

>> Yes, it does depend on the cheese. If I was making something like a
>> pasta salad I'd probably buy a small (8 oz.) block of Kraft "Swiss"
>> and cut it into chunks.
>>
>> Imported cheeses are obviously going to cost more. I buy a small
>> wedge of imported Parmesan for grating; it costs about $12 but that's
>> okay because it lasts for a long time. For imported Emmental, likely
>> a small block would cost $8-10. Not what I'd use in a pasta salad.
>>
>> I've never had a problem finding the kind of "Swiss" cheese she's
>> looking for. Nor imported cheeses.
>>
>> Jill

> Nor me finding them and yeah, I'd use basic stuff in a pasta salad.

Apparently we've got the Bothell bubble going again. I find it hard to
believe she can't find small blocks of Kraft "Swiss" in grocery stores
in Bothell.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2017 11:32 AM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I've never had a problem finding the kind of "Swiss" cheese she's
>> looking for. Nor imported cheeses.
>>
>> Jill

> Nor me, but I'm finding the discussion with what others like, rather
> fun!

It is fun!

> I'm about to make bread (out here) and looking at my cheese stash. I
> think I will go a rye/white flour with some needs to be used up
> havarti-dill.

I only make quick breads these days, and then very rarely. I do recall
a nice cheddar cheese round and yes, I used cheap shredded cheddar.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 09:56:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I bought some Kerrygold Irish Butter. It was definitely a darker
>> yellow than any butter I've ever seen. I no longer buy it.
>>
>> <http://hopecentric.com/why-i-stopped-buying-kerrygold-butter/>

>I occasionally buy some Finlandia butter. It's richer and
>very good to spread on soft white bread or rolls. I don't
>use it for cooking though - plain domestic butter for that.

If you want rich and tasty use chicken schmaltz instead of butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 09:27:02 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > MaryL wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> slices. >> > Slices don't work well in this salad. Thankfully,
> Tillamook now >> > makes a really good Swiss cheese that is
> affordable. I used it >> > today in the salad. Only problem was that
> I think I accidentally >> > tossed out the flat leaved parsley that
> I bought, mistaking it for >> > the rest of the old cilantro. Either
> that or I didn't actually buy >> > it. I'll have to buy more
> tomorrow. >> >

> to >> > find? Affordable?
> >> >

> >> It's easy to find here. I prefer the flavor of Deli cheese, and

> you >> can have it sliced as thick or thin as you want. It's been
> awhile, >> so I don't know what the price is; but cheese can be
> pricey. >>
> >> MaryL

> > If it helps, the deli swiss versions here are generally 8.99-11.99lb
> > depending on brand.
> >
> > I tend more to get the Havarti instead. Seems to lend itself
> > better to my cookery than actual swiss does though they look a
> > little similar in a lot of cases with the fine grained holes.

> Do you really mean havarti? Havarti is another semi-soft, somewhat
> creamy cheese for table use.

Yes, as in 'I tend to get Havarti INSTEAD...'. It's not Swiss Cheese
by definition of the subject, nor did I say so. It only looks a little
similar in that some Havarti's have little holes and both are basically
'white' or 'cream' colored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/4/2017 12:08 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > (snip)

> > > Yes, it does depend on the cheese. If I was making something
> > > like a pasta salad I'd probably buy a small (8 oz.) block of
> > > Kraft "Swiss" and cut it into chunks.
> > >
> > > Imported cheeses are obviously going to cost more. I buy a small
> > > wedge of imported Parmesan for grating; it costs about $12 but
> > > that's okay because it lasts for a long time. For imported
> > > Emmental, likely a small block would cost $8-10. Not what I'd
> > > use in a pasta salad.
> > >
> > > I've never had a problem finding the kind of "Swiss" cheese she's
> > > looking for. Nor imported cheeses.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Nor me finding them and yeah, I'd use basic stuff in a pasta salad.
> >

> Apparently we've got the Bothell bubble going again. I find it hard
> to believe she can't find small blocks of Kraft "Swiss" in grocery
> stores in Bothell.
>
> Jill

It is hard to fathom that one. I am wondering however if she's being
brand specific and can't find that one version. That would make the
best sense here don't you think?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2017 12:12 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Nor me finding them and yeah, I'd use basic stuff in a pasta salad.
>>>

>> Apparently we've got the Bothell bubble going again. I find it hard
>> to believe she can't find small blocks of Kraft "Swiss" in grocery
>> stores in Bothell.
>>
>> Jill

> It is hard to fathom that one. I am wondering however if she's being
> brand specific and can't find that one version. That would make the
> best sense here don't you think?

Who knows? She used the generic term "Swiss" but then mentioned
Tillamook (a brand I don't see down here in SC). Made it sound like
Swiss cheese is hard to find. I can't imagine any grocery store, even
in Bothell, not having stocking it, regardless of brand.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2017 6:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-03 4:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:00:40 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
>> cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the only
>> cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to assume
>> the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I don't know
>> about jabs or Julie or Washington State.

> Does it really matter? Throughout the US and Canada, the cheese with
> holes that comes from Switzerland, and the locally made imitations are
> called Swiss Cheese here. The better cheese shops may carry a white
> range of Swiss made cheese and sell them under their real names. Hell,
> the single most common cheese sold around here is Cheddar, and it
> doesn't come from Cheddar. It doesn't even really taste like good cheddar.

No, it doesn't really matter. It tastes like what we're used to. I've
eaten many imported cheeses and domestic cheeses. I don't plan to go to
another country to compare and contrast.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-04, cshenk > wrote:

> Careful trimming there! That was Nancy

Noted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2017 11:27 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> No , it doesn't matter. Mars bars don't come from Mars either. But
>> it's good to point out what North Americans mean whan they say "Swiss
>> cheese". Cshenkie immediately sees that as criticism of the US, where
>> none was intended. That's why this is dragged out so much.

> The criticism is you calling me cshenkie.

Killfile him, please don't feed the troll!

Jill