Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default can't read NYTimes cooking any more

"The modern salad can be..."

"A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."

"Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21 11:37 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> "The modern salad can be..."
>
> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>
> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

It has been that way for recipes for a while. More and more newspapers
are putting at least part of their output behind a paywall.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> "The modern salad can be..."
>
> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."

This is pretentious writing, and also very "twee"...

> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

Sounds positively erotic...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 8:06:40 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
> > "The modern salad can be..."
> >
> > "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."

> This is pretentious writing, and also very "twee"...
>

> > "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

> Sounds positively erotic...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Well get used to it. The older generation has never grooved with how the kids get down with it anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21, > wrote:

> I'm sure it's because nobody buys an actual paper anymore....

At $2.50USD per copy (stand price) to look at adverts, it's no wonder.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21 12:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:02:57 -0600, graham wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-21 11:37 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>>
>>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>>
>>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."
>>>

>> It has been that way for recipes for a while. More and more newspapers
>> are putting at least part of their output behind a paywall.

> I don't think that was the problem tert is experiencing :-) But if
> people are having trouble viewing the NYTtimes recipes because of the
> login-wall, they can turn off JavScript for the site. I use the
> 'Yesscript' extension for Firefox to selectively turn off JavaScirpt
> for offending sites.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ipt/developers
>
> tert's verbally offensive article:
> https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/4...-salad?mcubz=1
>
> -sw

Thanks! It works well!
I also tried it for other newspapers but with limited success.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> "The modern salad can be..."
>
> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>
> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jul 2017 18:59:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-07-21, > wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it's because nobody buys an actual paper anymore....

>At $2.50USD per copy (stand price) to look at adverts, it's no wonder.
>

>nb

Wow, amazing, had no idea it was that costly!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 1:37 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> "The modern salad can be..."
>
> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>
> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

My experience with the NY Times was a free online trial. I have about 7
days left. They do hope you will subscribe. I read a few of the
recipes but wasn't really inspired to make any of them. So no, I won't
be subscribing to the site. I also won't be having the NY Times
delivered in paper form.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 22:07:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/21/2017 1:37 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>
>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>
>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."
>>

>My experience with the NY Times was a free online trial. I have about 7
>days left. They do hope you will subscribe. I read a few of the
>recipes but wasn't really inspired to make any of them. So no, I won't
>be subscribing to the site. I also won't be having the NY Times
>delivered in paper form.
>
>Jill

my experience with the NY Times recipe site is that it was free and it
is still free to me and I didn't have to sign up for a trial newspaper
subscription. Each day I receive an email with the NY Times recipe
section for the day. I am also able to search all of the recipes at
the site. Within the last week or so I received an email from them
saying that I would still be able to receive the recipe section
without cost but that new people would have to pay a fee.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 17:37:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>
>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>
>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

> Have you tried clearing your browser's cache?
>
> -sw

will that replace the editors?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 17:37:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>>
>>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>>
>>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

>> Have you tried clearing your browser's cache?
>>
>> -sw

> will that replace the editors?

That needed a beverage alert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 8:36 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 07:34:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Starbucks is truly a waste of money. It's so touchy-feely, trending, and
>> also so very ***. I went one time and asked for just a "regular" coffee.
>> It wasn't so good. McDonalds and 7-11 coffee is better tasting, imo. My
>> homemade coffee is equal to those tastewise at a fraction of the cost.

> If I couldn't make better coffee than McDonald's, I'd give up coffee.
> Every cup I've had tasted burnt and old (although their recent iteration
> IS better than it used to be).

Each to their own. I don't ever buy coffee anymore except from the
grocery store to brew myself each morning.

My 4 cup Mr.Coffee machine makes 2 mugs full. I drink one while I'm
waking up then take the extra to drink at work. That's all the coffee I
drink in a day and the two cups a day cost maybe 10 cents each.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 8:36 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 07:34:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Starbucks is truly a waste of money. It's so touchy-feely, trending, and
>> also so very ***. I went one time and asked for just a "regular" coffee.
>> It wasn't so good. McDonalds and 7-11 coffee is better tasting, imo. My
>> homemade coffee is equal to those tastewise at a fraction of the cost.

> If I couldn't make better coffee than McDonald's, I'd give up coffee.
> Every cup I've had tasted burnt and old (although their recent iteration
> IS better than it used to be).

In our area they use Newman's Own. Good stuff. I imagine it can vary
by region. They often have a $1 any size special too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rather than ask RFC I contacted the NYTimes

On 7/21/2017 1:37 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> "The modern salad can be..."
>
> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>
> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."

Here's the response I received:

required to access certain features of NYT Cooking (non-subscribers have
limited access). Home Delivery and Digital Subscribers may simply login
to their accounts to get the full benefits of the NYT Cooking
subscription experience.

Users who do not currently have a NYT Subscription will be offered a
28-day free trial. After the 28 days customers will be prompted to
purchase a Cooking subscription or be limited to a selection of free
recipes."

Does that answer the question?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:34:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/21/2017 1:37 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>
>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>
>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."
>>

>Here's the response I received:

>required to access certain features of NYT Cooking (non-subscribers have
>limited access). Home Delivery and Digital Subscribers may simply login
>to their accounts to get the full benefits of the NYT Cooking
>subscription experience.
>
>Users who do not currently have a NYT Subscription will be offered a
>28-day free trial. After the 28 days customers will be prompted to
>purchase a Cooking subscription or be limited to a selection of free
>recipes."
>
>Does that answer the question?

Which question?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"heyjoe" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 07:34:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Starbucks is truly a waste of money. It's so touchy-feely, trending, and
>> also so very ***. I went one time and asked for just a "regular" coffee.
>> It wasn't so good. McDonalds and 7-11 coffee is better tasting, imo. My
>> homemade coffee is equal to those tastewise at a fraction of the cost.

> If I couldn't make better coffee than McDonald's, I'd give up coffee.
> Every cup I've had tasted burnt and old (although their recent iteration
> IS better than it used to be).

Yep. Their tea used to taste burnt too. Thankfully they corrected that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/21/2017 1:37 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> "The modern salad can be..."
>>
>> "A homemade dressing is the best way to lift a salad..."
>>
>> "Muscular kale and romaine can support a thick Caesar dressing..."
>>

> Here's the response I received:

> required to access certain features of NYT Cooking (non-subscribers have
> limited access). Home Delivery and Digital Subscribers may simply login to
> their accounts to get the full benefits of the NYT Cooking subscription
> experience.
>
> Users who do not currently have a NYT Subscription will be offered a
> 28-day free trial. After the 28 days customers will be prompted to
> purchase a Cooking subscription or be limited to a selection of free
> recipes."
>
> Does that answer the question?

No. Because you didn't ask about the editors.