Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wednesday Dinner .

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Sun 23 Jul 2017 12:35:44p, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 10:25:17a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >>

>>> It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online
>>> reviews. Personally, I try someplace and either like it or
>>> don't.
>>> I don't go looking for reviews before I buy something.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> ==
>>>
>>> If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
>>>

>> True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that
>> qualifier). I don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm
>> buying something for the house, of course I read reviews before I
>> buy it. I also take most of them with a grain of salt.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is
>> like.
>>

> The only "foods" I have bought online have been "pudding rice" and
> treacle from the UK, White Lily flour from TN, stone ground
> cornmeal from TN and Alabama, and center cut country ham slices
> from TN. Everything was perfect. Howver, before ordering I did
> phone the US companies about their products. I have ontinued to
> order from the same places. I wouldn't be ordering these items if
> they were available where I live.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> I am sure! I can usually find what I want, if not here then in
> the city.

Just ask almost any store in the US for pudding rice and they'll say
"what's that?" I know you know. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

Yes You have mentioned it before)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 7:25:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >

> > > It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.
> > > Personally, I try someplace and either like it or don't. I don't go
> > > looking for reviews before I buy something.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > > ==
> > >
> > > If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
> > >

> > True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that qualifier). I
> > don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm buying something for
> > the house, of course I read reviews before I buy it. I also take most
> > of them with a grain of salt.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is like.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I think buying fresh food like that is going to be popular because the
> technology is going to make that kind of thing practical. The older
> generation is not going to take to the concept but the young ones will
> literally eat it up.
>
> ==
>
> I have no doubt When I am in the supermarket the young 'uns have trolleys
> full of ready made meals.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

My guess is that in a short while, going to the supermarket will be seen as tedious for a lot of young adults. They're be used to having stuff delivered to their door. Not being forced to leave the house will allow a lot of people to not ever leave the house. The advent of self-driving cars and delivery drones and the ability to see and interact with the outside world through a small screen will make that possible. That's a shame. The Japanese call these people "hikikomori."

We're going to see this happen in the US. I don't know enough about the mindset of people in the UK to venture a guess as to whether that will be trending there also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-07-23 10:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
>>>

>> As do I. You have to read the bad ones too annd use common sense. People
>> downgrade ratings for the dumbest reasons: "I ordered the brown one but I
>> think blue would look better in my room" or "The UPS driver dropped the
>> box and it broke"
>>
>> OTOH, id an item has 43% poor ratings I'm going to pass. Most any item
>> has 5% to 10% bad, often from people with no clue how to use the item or
>> got the inevitable defective one.

> A year or two ago I listened to a radio program about online ratings and
> after that I have very little respect for them. One of the problems is
> that friends and relatives of owners will go online and make positive
> reviews. Meanwhile, their competitors and their friends and relatives
> trash the business. Most disturbing was that there are actually companies
> out there in the business of making up reviews. Their methods are
> effective enough to make them look legitimate.

Angies list is one of the worst for things like this. I wouldn't use them.

I do online reviews. I started out at Epinions but found my reviews for some
nail polish being ripped to shreds by some guy. Some guy that didn't even
use nail polish. Thankfully he was slapped down by some other females. They
knew what I was talking about. The guy didn't. I quit with them after a
year. I only began doing it because they claimed you would get paid. The
payment was quite small but I was never able to make a dime. There just
weren't enough listed products, businesses, services, etc. that I used, and
the parameters for their reviews were too strict and time consuming.

Now I mainly only do reviews for products at stores where I have bought
things, or restaurants.I generally only do restaurants if I found things to
be exceptional or really bad. I did give a mediocre review to a new
hamburger place. Part of a chain. We only went there because we were
supposed to have gotten a free burger with a coupon. In the end, it was not
free and while the food was not terrible, things were missing from the
burgers, the place was a noisy zoo and overcrowded. The owner replied to me
and tried to offer me another coupon for free food. A friend of mine had
given a glowing review of the place on FB, but I am starting to realize that
we just have different standards. Since then, there have been many more
online reviews and many were similar to mine.

I will also post a review for clothing or shoes that fit oddly, at item that
breaks easily, etc. Those are the sorts of reviews I am looking for when I
look at reviews.

I bought a pair of shoes a few months ago. No reviews when I bought them but
other shoes of that brand got good reviews, so I took the chance. There was
some serious design flaw with them to the point where I flat out could not
walk in them, and they didn't fit right. I posted a review and since then,
other reviews were similar with one woman stating that they must have just
put them out for sale without anyone ever attempting to walk in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.
>>> Personally, I try someplace and either like it or don't. I don't go
>>> looking for reviews before I buy something.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> ==
>>>
>>> If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
>>>

>> True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that qualifier). I
>> don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm buying something for
>> the house, of course I read reviews before I buy it. I also take most of
>> them with a grain of salt.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is like.

> I order pizza online from Papa Murphy's and tell them how long it'll be
> before I pick it up, works great, but I have never ordered boxes of meals
> etc. I did just order a case of 12 unsweetened coconut cream from Amazon
> because I had a credit and it was very cheap with no shipping fees. I
> don't
> think I would ever order a meal kit, but more power to those who like
> them.
>

> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Aye, each to his/her own)
>
> What do you make with your coconut cream?

I like it for mousse, cooking sauces, whipped topping and so on. You can do
just about anything you want to with it, of course you have to like coconut.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 7:25:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >

> > > It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.
> > > Personally, I try someplace and either like it or don't. I don't go
> > > looking for reviews before I buy something.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > > ==
> > >
> > > If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
> > >

> > True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that qualifier). I
> > don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm buying something for
> > the house, of course I read reviews before I buy it. I also take most
> > of them with a grain of salt.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is like.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I think buying fresh food like that is going to be popular because the
> technology is going to make that kind of thing practical. The older
> generation is not going to take to the concept but the young ones will
> literally eat it up.
>
> ==
>
> I have no doubt When I am in the supermarket the young 'uns have
> trolleys
> full of ready made meals.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

My guess is that in a short while, going to the supermarket will be seen as
tedious for a lot of young adults. They're be used to having stuff delivered
to their door. Not being forced to leave the house will allow a lot of
people to not ever leave the house. The advent of self-driving cars and
delivery drones and the ability to see and interact with the outside world
through a small screen will make that possible. That's a shame. The Japanese
call these people "hikikomori."

We're going to see this happen in the US. I don't know enough about the
mindset of people in the UK to venture a guess as to whether that will be
trending there also.

==

I don't suppose it will be much different here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.
>>> Personally, I try someplace and either like it or don't. I don't go
>>> looking for reviews before I buy something.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> ==
>>>
>>> If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
>>>

>> True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that qualifier). I
>> don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm buying something for
>> the house, of course I read reviews before I buy it. I also take most of
>> them with a grain of salt.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is like.

> I order pizza online from Papa Murphy's and tell them how long it'll be
> before I pick it up, works great, but I have never ordered boxes of meals
> etc. I did just order a case of 12 unsweetened coconut cream from Amazon
> because I had a credit and it was very cheap with no shipping fees. I
> don't
> think I would ever order a meal kit, but more power to those who like
> them.
>

> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Aye, each to his/her own)
>
> What do you make with your coconut cream?

I like it for mousse, cooking sauces, whipped topping and so on. You can do
just about anything you want to with it, of course you have to like coconut.

Cheri

==

Indeed Thanks!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 18:53:27 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Snipped to just here.
>>>
>>> I'd never expect to wait at all for an unbaked pizza. Could be a
>>> reviewer who was crazy and exagurating a lot. The only way that could
>>> be 'real' is they asked for a special order (like salt free) and they
>>> had to make the dough from scratch and then, yes, it would take 2 hours.
>>>

>> It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.

> Yelp reviews are usually worthless. They're written by people who
> either give most everything 4-5 stars or 1-2 stars. They're written
> by people just like Julie!

I have done some Yelp reviews. Not a lot. As I said, I tend not to even
write a review unless it's really good or bad. In the case of the burger
place, I did it as a warning for people to check their receipts. We were
overcharged and the meals did not come out as they should. We also got no
flatware whatever and my mom needed some for her food. The place was just so
crowded and chaotic. There was no way I could get near the counter to have
someone correct this. It also lacked enough seating for the number of
customers in there. These are things people might want to know.

> I often use Yelp to look at the pictures of food from places I'm
> considering to help me decide menu options, but mostly disregard the
> reviews. I certainly wouldn't repeat the contents of the reviews here
> as if they were gospel. And then argue with people about how good or
> bad the place may be based on those reviews.

There was a Mexican place that was here when we first moved here and it had
won some kind of award through the local newspaper. At that point in time,
all online reviews were glowing, but the prices were high and it wasn't the
kind of food I was used to. A lot of meals had cactus in them. I have eaten
cactus and it's not a favorite food.

I kept intending to go there just to try it but the online reviews grew
steadily worse. Food portion size, food freshness, service. etc. Then
reports of food poisoning showed up. The last several reviews stated that
people got sick from eating there.

Not long after, the place closed.

There's another place in Edmonds that used to be pretty good. Not Mexican.
Family owned for longer than I lived here. But the family sold to some
Chinese (cue John Kuthe) people and things went downhill. They kept the same
name and menus but cheapened up the food, serving frozen fries instead of
fresh cut, and things like that. The service got bad too. People didn't
realize at first that there were new owners because much of the staff was
the same but that's all changed now. Still have the same name, but the staff
has all quit and online reports say the menu has changed too. Just no good
any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:17:14 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>>
>>> More than likely, the review came from a visit during their grand
>>> opening.
>>> Lines are almost always like that when chains open in new locations.

>> There was no line. The guy called the order in and was told there would
>> be a
>> two hour wait because they were short staffed.

> Why do you keep waving around this ONE review by somebody you don't
> know, as if it's the Holy Bible? Are you really this gullible? You
> feed off of negativity, so you're treating this one guy's review like
> it's the Holy Grail.

It wasn't just that one. Most of the reviews for that location are not good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Greg Morrow the hog

On 7/21/2017 2:07 PM, The Greatest HOG! wrote:
> w/Maggot Cheeze...!!!

You look like a human hog.

http://imgur.com/a/jCmVb <-- LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-23 3:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Next time. I paid a lot of money for that crappy lunch. Then I got
>> lies in defense of the puny portion. I doubt I will ever be back.

> I won't get seafood at a plate lunch place. Usually it is crappy and
> a disappointment. If you can't handle looking at a plate with two
> scoops of rice and mac salad, the Hawaiian plate lunch is not for
> you. For most people on the mainland, a plate laid out like that
> won't be within their realm of experience.

> The roots of that go back to the origins of the plate lunch back in
> the early 60's. These were served off of lunch wagons to mostly
> construction workers. You needed something that could be laid out
> fast. You could lay the groundwork of the plate quite rapidly and for
> the workers, the carb load was not a problem. In fact, it was
> welcomed. You would go through that plate fast because that's the
> nature of working construction in the hot Hawaiian sun. And the rest
> is history.

I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two different
starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of a lot less for
it. That should have been a $3 meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 11:36:45 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 3:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Next time. I paid a lot of money for that crappy lunch. Then I got
> >> lies in defense of the puny portion. I doubt I will ever be back.

> > I won't get seafood at a plate lunch place. Usually it is crappy and
> > a disappointment. If you can't handle looking at a plate with two
> > scoops of rice and mac salad, the Hawaiian plate lunch is not for
> > you. For most people on the mainland, a plate laid out like that
> > won't be within their realm of experience.

> > The roots of that go back to the origins of the plate lunch back in
> > the early 60's. These were served off of lunch wagons to mostly
> > construction workers. You needed something that could be laid out
> > fast. You could lay the groundwork of the plate quite rapidly and for
> > the workers, the carb load was not a problem. In fact, it was
> > welcomed. You would go through that plate fast because that's the
> > nature of working construction in the hot Hawaiian sun. And the rest
> > is history.
> >

> I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two different
> starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of a lot less for
> it. That should have been a $3 meal.

I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's nothing that can be done about that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-23 6:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 11:36:45 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two
>> different starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of
>> a lot less for it. That should have been a $3 meal.

> I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> nothing that can be done about that.

What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 6:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 11:36:45 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> >> I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two
> >> different starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of
> >> a lot less for it. That should have been a $3 meal.

> > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> > nothing that can be done about that.
> >

> What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.

http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 7:25:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I think buying fresh food like that is going to be popular because the
> technology is going to make that kind of thing practical. The older
> generation is not going to take to the concept but the young ones will
> literally eat it up.

They were talking about this on the radio the other day. Brick and mortar
stores are going the way of the wind. Soon it will be delivery only. Maybe
by drone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

I won't get seafood at a plate lunch place. Usually it is crappy and a
disappointment. If you can't handle looking at a plate with two scoops of
rice and mac salad, the Hawaiian plate lunch is not for you. For most people
on the mainland, a plate laid out like that won't be within their realm of
experience.

The roots of that go back to the origins of the plate lunch back in the
early 60's. These were served off of lunch wagons to mostly construction
workers. You needed something that could be laid out fast. You could lay the
groundwork of the plate quite rapidly and for the workers, the carb load was
not a problem. In fact, it was welcomed. You would go through that plate
fast because that's the nature of working construction in the hot Hawaiian
sun. And the rest is history.

---

You'd probably like this place. There is one in Lynnwood now.

https://www.katsuburger.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
>> > nothing that can be done about that.
>> >

>> What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
>> macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
>> acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> plate with 1 oz of fish.
>
> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg

That's an odd combination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 6:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 11:36:45 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> >> I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two
> >> different starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of
> >> a lot less for it. That should have been a $3 meal.

> > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> > nothing that can be done about that.
> >

> What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
plate with 1 oz of fish.

http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg

==

It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat the
spaghetti

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.45...

On Sun 23 Jul 2017 01:05:58p, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 12:35:44p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 10:25:17a, Ophelia told us...

>>> True, but I don't buy *food* online (I forgot to add that
>>> qualifier). I don't go out to eat all the time, either. If I'm
>>> buying something for the house, of course I read reviews before
>>> I buy it. I also take most of them with a grain of salt.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I have never bought food online so I don't know what that is
>>> like.
>>>

>> The only "foods" I have bought online have been "pudding rice"
>> and treacle from the UK, White Lily flour from TN, stone ground
>> cornmeal from TN and Alabama, and center cut country ham slices
>> from TN. Everything was perfect. Howver, before ordering I did
>> phone the US companies about their products. I have ontinued to
>> order from the same places. I wouldn't be ordering these items
>> if they were available where I live.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I am sure! I can usually find what I want, if not here then in
>> the city.
>>

> Just ask almost any store in the US for pudding rice and they'll
> say "what's that?" I know you know. :-)
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Yes You have mentioned it before)

I seem to repeat myself a lot. :-(

Wayne Boatwright

===

Not at all, it is just that we had a conversation once about our pudding
rice

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> > > nothing that can be done about that.
> > >

> > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> plate with 1 oz of fish.
>
> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
>
> ==
>
> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat the
> spaghetti

I could easily eat all that and be happy. It's a weird combo
though....almost 2 separate meals...the chicken and mac salad,
then the spaghetti and the bread. yum!
]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-23 11:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>
> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg

Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep fried to
make it healthier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-24 6:03 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 02:37:16p, Dave Smith told us...
>

>> I would not be likely to order a lunch that consists of two
>> different starchy items. If I did, I would expect to pay a hell of
>> a lot less for it. That should have been a $3 meal.
>>

> You could have sent it back and left.

My son took me out for lunch. I had to be a little more gracious. I did
point out to the waitress that the greens were not eaten because they
were rotten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2017 9:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 11:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
>> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a
>> $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>>
>> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
>>

> Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep fried to
> make it healthier.

How adding some fried Spam? LOL

I love the way he talks about "mainlanders" as if Hawaii isn't part of
the United States. That meal looks like pretty much anything I'd expect
to see at a cafeteria. Not that I'd buy all of those things.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/24/2017 9:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-07-23 11:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
>>> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a
>>> $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>>>
>>> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
>>>

>> Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep fried to
>> make it healthier.

> How adding some fried Spam? LOL
>
> I love the way he talks about "mainlanders" as if Hawaii isn't part of the
> United States. That meal looks like pretty much anything I'd expect to
> see at a cafeteria. Not that I'd buy all of those things.
>
> Jill

Mmmmmmmmmmmm fried Spam! I love it. I think the meal looks fine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 6:37:29 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsiyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 7:25:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > I think buying fresh food like that is going to be popular because the
> > technology is going to make that kind of thing practical. The older
> > generation is not going to take to the concept but the young ones will
> > literally eat it up.

> They were talking about this on the radio the other day. Brick and mortar
> stores are going the way of the wind. Soon it will be delivery only. Maybe
> by drone.

That would seem to be true. OTOH, you can't discount the hundreds of thousands of years of our need to hunt and gather embedded in our DNA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:29:12 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> I won't get seafood at a plate lunch place. Usually it is crappy and a
> disappointment. If you can't handle looking at a plate with two scoops of
> rice and mac salad, the Hawaiian plate lunch is not for you. For most people
> on the mainland, a plate laid out like that won't be within their realm of
> experience.
>
> The roots of that go back to the origins of the plate lunch back in the
> early 60's. These were served off of lunch wagons to mostly construction
> workers. You needed something that could be laid out fast. You could lay the
> groundwork of the plate quite rapidly and for the workers, the carb load was
> not a problem. In fact, it was welcomed. You would go through that plate
> fast because that's the nature of working construction in the hot Hawaiian
> sun. And the rest is history.
>
> ---
>
> You'd probably like this place. There is one in Lynnwood now.
>
> https://www.katsuburger.com/

It's the Americanization of one of the most iconic of Japanese travel foods: the tonkatsu sandwich aka, katsu sando.

http://www.cybergarden.net/gourmet/images2/DSC32750.JPG

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2017 1:50 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Mmmmmmmmmmmm fried Spam! I love it. I think the meal looks fine.
>
> Cheri

Sometimes for breakfast we have some really good, but expensive, bacon.
The next day I'll fry Spam and enjoy it just as much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 7/23/2017 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Snipped to just here.
> >>
> >> I'd never expect to wait at all for an unbaked pizza. Could be a
> >> reviewer who was crazy and exagurating a lot. The only way that could
> >> be 'real' is they asked for a special order (like salt free) and they
> >> had to make the dough from scratch and then, yes, it would take 2 hours.
> >>

> > It's a little strange but she does seem to rely on online reviews.
> > Personally, I try someplace and either like it or don't. I don't go
> > looking for reviews before I buy something.
> >
> > Jill
> > ==
> >
> > If I am buying online, I always read the reviews.
> >

> As do I. You have to read the bad ones too annd use common sense.
> People downgrade ratings for the dumbest reasons: "I ordered the brown
> one but I think blue would look better in my room" or "The UPS driver
> dropped the box and it broke"

The silliest are some of the air travel reviews from here, if you've time to waste they make for some interesting reading:

http://www.airlinequality.com/

American Airlines review:

"worst for being on time"
G Henderson (United States) 21st July 2017

"œ… Verified Review | La Guardia to Dallas Ft Worth. American Airlines is definately the worst for being on time. I flew on Tuesday July 18, 2017 from LGA, 3 hours late at 9 am in the am. Then we boarded, then we waited for another half hour, they remembered they needed a pilot - 30 minutes after that, remembered that fuel need to be balanced. Now, 2 days later, 2.5 hours late again. The stewardess just announced after sitting inside the plane for the past hour "there are some funny points to this flight". How is wasting people's time for the past two days by over six hours funny? Then give you 1 package of cookies..."

Things like lateness can be the result of many things, e.g. safety/weather/loading issues, or in the case of this pilot, all flight crews have to be "legal", this is all about ensuring flight safety...as for the "1 package of cookies", that is the published "service" for this flight.

Here's another for Virgin Australia:

"horrendous experience"
3 reviews Ross Wilson (Australia) 7th May 2017

œ… Verified Review | Horrendous experience flying from Melbourne to Gold Coast, Virgin Australia cram 3 rows of Business Class and 27 rows of Economy Class into each 737-800, if you are in Economy there is no legroom. It is so bad my knees were near my chin, it took my three days to recover from the pain from this flight, no inflight entertainment, meal was a tiny cookie and a cup of stale orange juice, yuck.
Aircraft Boeing 737-800
Type Of Traveller Business
Cabin Flown Economy Class"

Hasn't this guy checked a seating chart, they are available online...again, snack - wise, it IS economy class - AND THE FLIGHT TIME IS -->>65<<-- MINUTES...!!!

Here's a funny review for Newark Airport, the guy writes entertainingly but for an airport review he has kinda the wrong "focus" I think:

http://www.airlinequality.com/airpor...ewark-airport/

"no dialogue between customer and staff"
G Wall (United Kingdom) 20th March 2017

œ… Verified Review | Terminal C, Self check-in was easy, there was the usual queue for passport control, but nothing too bad. My gate was C80, so I made my way down to the gate, and feeling hungry and I fancied a beer, so called in at one 'eatery' where I was welcomed and sat at a table with an iPad in front of me. A quick glance around told me that every table had a tablet - so I listened while I was told to scan my boarding card barcode and shown how my my name instantly popped up with flight details for all to see - especially as the waiter read my name out quite loudly (which I wasn't terrifically thrilled about in these days of identity theft). I quickly scanned through the menu, the food was astronomically highly priced for even the simplest dish, and beers likewise for ales I'd never heard of. So I fled the place, thinking I'd find a cheaper bar where I could pay by dollar notes, and discuss a choice of food and beers with a friendly barman. But alas, no. Some mastermind of planning had persuaded the airport chiefs of Newark to adopt a full tablet ordering system for every eat and drink outlet. Thirsty, I decided to call in at the Vesper Tavern. At least I recognised the beers on tap, and after my stomach had flipped a somersault at the prices, I decided that I needed a drink, fast. I scanned my barcode again, selected my beer from the menu (note, that the picture of each draft beer shows a full pint - or at least large looking glass of frothing beer), pressed the pay button, and as already mentioned by someone else, spotted the service charge was set at 18%. For what? I'd had no service so far! So I wound it down to 0%, and begrudgingly, I swiped my card (although I'd preferred to have paid in dollars), and waited for my beer to come. Along strolled the waiter with a wimpy looking glass of beer. It certainly wasnt the pint I'd seen pictured on the menu! I sat and observed others coming, and of their dismay at ordering expensive food and drink by tablet. My issue with this is that there's no dialogue between the customer and the staff. Little chance to discuss the food, how you would like the food cooked? Which option would they recommend from experience? Could I sample a beer that I'd never heard of? And if the service was good, then at the end, I'll leave a tip to reflect it - not to have an 18% surcharge lumped onto my bill for something that could have been delivered by a little train on a track, sushi style. I'd love to think that in a year or two I'll re-visit terminal C and all the tablets will have been strpped out and replaced once again by the happy chatter of conversion between customer and bar staff. But somehow, the investment made in this new technology will be made to work. Somehow...:

> OTOH, id an item has 43% poor ratings I'm going to pass. Most any item
> has 5% to 10% bad, often from people with no clue how to use the item or
> got the inevitable defective one.

Yup, agreed...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:33:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> >> macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> >> acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> > concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> > plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg

> That's an odd combination.

It is odd. The oddest thing about it is that there's no Asian influence in that thing at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> > > nothing that can be done about that.
> > >

> > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> plate with 1 oz of fish.
>
> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
>
> ==
>
> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat the
> spaghetti
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I'm well aware of the cultural discord here. As it goes, there's
> > > nothing that can be done about that.
> > >

> > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> plate with 1 oz of fish.
>
> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
>
> ==
>
> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat
> the
> spaghetti
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.

==

I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 3:42:56 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 11:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >

> Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep fried to
> make it healthier.

You probably think we're a mess health-wise. You'd be wrong - very wrong. Perhaps you should look at what you're eating instead of judging foods you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:16:20 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 9:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-07-23 11:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:25:41 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> >> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a
> >> $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >>
> >> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >>

> > Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep fried to
> > make it healthier.

> How adding some fried Spam? LOL
>
> I love the way he talks about "mainlanders" as if Hawaii isn't part of
> the United States. That meal looks like pretty much anything I'd expect
> to see at a cafeteria. Not that I'd buy all of those things.
>
> Jill

As it goes, we ain't like people on the mainland. You only believe that to be the case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-24 1:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast

Depends on whether that's an English or Full English Breakfast.
When I was doing fieldwork many years ago and staying in B&Bs (in the
era when they were inexpensive, 17/6 per night) after a few days of
fried BFs, I usually
asked for poached eggs on toast.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 24 Jul 2017 05:33:21a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message

>>> What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the
>>> question of macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that
>>> $13 would be an acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece
>>> of fish?

>> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a
>> tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
>> swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>>
>> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...day/zippys_spa
>> ghetti_chix.jpg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able
>> to eat the spaghetti
>>

>That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
>salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
>don't like their sauces.

Aren't you a difficult little man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:16:20 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:

> > tough >> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
> > swallow is a >> $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
> > > >

> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...ay/zippys_spag
> > hetti_chix.jpg
> > > >

> > > Wow. Starch, starch and more starch, and then something deep
> > > fried to make it healthier.

> > How adding some fried Spam? LOL
> >
> > I love the way he talks about "mainlanders" as if Hawaii isn't part
> > of the United States. That meal looks like pretty much anything
> > I'd expect to see at a cafeteria. Not that I'd buy all of those
> > things.
> >
> > Jill

> As it goes, we ain't like people on the mainland. You only believe
> that to be the case.

Maybe, but take a good look. Hawaii is special but so is New Orleans
and other parts of the USA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> > > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> > concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> > plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat
> > the
> > spaghetti
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I could eat one of those - if I was half my age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2017 1:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 1:50 PM, Cheri wrote:
>

>> Mmmmmmmmmmmm fried Spam! I love it. I think the meal looks fine.
>>
>> Cheri

> Sometimes for breakfast we have some really good, but expensive,
> bacon. The next day I'll fry Spam and enjoy it just as much.

We had BLT's for lunch today , with some really good cheap bacon . We
buy the ends and pieces 10 pound box when the local store has their bic
semi-annual sale . Looks don't affect the taste . BTW the sandwiches
were on homemade half-wheat toast with local tomatoes . With a side of
the wife's pasta salad , yum !

--

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 1:11:04 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > tough >> concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
> > > swallow is a >> $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
> > > > >

> > > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...ay/zippys_spag
> > > hetti_chix.jpg

> > > How adding some fried Spam? LOL
> > >
> > > I love the way he talks about "mainlanders" as if Hawaii isn't part
> > > of the United States. That meal looks like pretty much anything
> > > I'd expect to see at a cafeteria. Not that I'd buy all of those
> > > things.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > As it goes, we ain't like people on the mainland. You only believe
> > that to be the case.

> Maybe, but take a good look. Hawaii is special but so is New Orleans
> and other parts of the USA.
>
> --

I'm well aware that New Orleans' cultural history differs from most parts of the country. OTOH, NOLA is not a state and the most common last name in the state of LA would be Williams, Smith, and Johnson. The most common last name in HA is Lee, Wong, and Kim.

Some people might feel threatened by a state that's so culturally different from the rest of the US. I think it's silly to be so defensive. As I have said before, we're different but have made no claims about being superior or better. I mean, I ain't stupid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Mon 24 Jul 2017 12:19:34p, Ophelia told us...

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message

>> > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the
>> > question of macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or
>> > that $13 would be an acceptable price if it included a one
>> > ounce piece of fish?

>> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a
>> tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
>> swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>>
>> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...eday/zippys_sp
>> aghetti_chix.jpg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able
>> to eat the spaghetti
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast

We stayed at a quaint B&B north of Flagstaff this past winter. The
place is owned by an English couple, and they served a full English
breakfast. It was delightful! All the food was hand crafted. I
think you'd have enjoyed it.

The place was lovely, an old stone house with only 3 bedroom suites.
The entire menu was English. The wife made all the bakery items and
the husband made his own sausages. We had a 3 month advance
reservation and apparently they are always booked.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Sounds wonderful As for that breakfast, I doubt I could even eat all that
for dinner, let alone breakfast)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-24 1:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast

Depends on whether that's an English or Full English Breakfast.
When I was doing fieldwork many years ago and staying in B&Bs (in the
era when they were inexpensive, 17/6 per night) after a few days of
fried BFs, I usually
asked for poached eggs on toast.
Graham

==