Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wednesday Dinner .

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question
> > > of
> > > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> > concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> > plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat
> > the
> > spaghetti
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I could eat one of those - if I was half my age.

==

LOL even at half my age I couldn't have eaten a full English)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017 07:33:48 UTC+2 schrieb dsi1:

> The most common last name in HA is Lee, Wong, and Kim.

Really? Wong? Not Pa(r)k?
Wong is pretty common in China, but very rare in Korea.
(Yes, I do know where you live! ;-)
In Korea, they say something like if you throw a stone into a crowd,
you will hit one Lee, Kim or Park at least. ;-)

> Some people might feel threatened by a state that's so culturally
> different from the rest of the US. I think it's silly to be so
> defensive. As I have said before, we're different but have made no
> claims about being superior or better. I mean, I ain't stupid.

It's interesting and just astonishing how open and nice everyone reacts
when Koreans see that a cow-eye at least tries to respect their customs
and traditions - at least the not so young generation and in the
countryside!
I'm pretty sure it's similar to where you live.
When we travel, we respect and learn about the culture where we visit.
Otherwise, we could just stay at home!
We sleep in decent, but simple motels (very affordable!) and eat where the
resident population eats. In Seoul, just follow all the white collars
around noon. They know where the good places are! Wait a few minutes
until the place you chose empties a bit (Koreans are very fast!), take a
seat (preferably not alone when you go there in the evening), enjoy.
OK - it helps to be able to read Hangul (easy) to read the card and
understand enough Korean to order the right thing... ;-)
Some places have pictures of the food, too; but that's not too helpful. ;-)
There are guides available who will accompany you for free to brush up
their spoken English. We don't need them - my husband speaks Korean pretty
fluently, and my Korean is good enough for shopping, eating out etc. and
following conversations mostly.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.44...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 12:32:06a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Mon 24 Jul 2017 12:19:34p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "dsi1" wrote in message

>>> The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a
>>> tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
>>> swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>>>
>>> http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...heday/zippys_s
>>> p aghetti_chix.jpg
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only
>>> able to eat the spaghetti
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>>

> We stayed at a quaint B&B north of Flagstaff this past winter.
> The place is owned by an English couple, and they served a full
> English breakfast. It was delightful! All the food was hand
> crafted. I think you'd have enjoyed it.
>
> The place was lovely, an old stone house with only 3 bedroom
> suites. The entire menu was English. The wife made all the bakery
> items and the husband made his own sausages. We had a 3 month
> advance reservation and apparently they are always booked.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Sounds wonderful As for that breakfast, I doubt I could even
> eat all that for dinner, let alone breakfast)

It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full English
breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking that the black
pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed down every morsel. I
never did care for black pudding, so that was the nly omission. The
wife had very deft hands in the kitchen! As pickly as David usually
is, there wasn't a thing we ate during the entire stay that he didn't
eat.

Wayne Boatwright

==

I don't like black pudding either) Perhaps if you just cooked English
food, David would eat everything you make? ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 01:55:30a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> .44...
>
> On Tue 25 Jul 2017 12:32:06a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.44...
>>
>> On Mon 24 Jul 2017 12:19:34p, Ophelia told us...

>>> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>>>

>> We stayed at a quaint B&B north of Flagstaff this past winter.
>> The place is owned by an English couple, and they served a full
>> English breakfast. It was delightful! All the food was hand
>> crafted. I think you'd have enjoyed it.
>>
>> The place was lovely, an old stone house with only 3 bedroom
>> suites. The entire menu was English. The wife made all the
>> bakery items and the husband made his own sausages. We had a 3
>> month advance reservation and apparently they are always booked.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Sounds wonderful As for that breakfast, I doubt I could even
>> eat all that for dinner, let alone breakfast)
>>

> It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full
> English breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking
> that the black pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed
> down every morsel. I never did care for black pudding, so that
> was the nly omission. The wife had very deft hands in the
> kitchen! As pickly as David usually is, there wasn't a thing we
> ate during the entire stay that he didn't eat.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> I don't like black pudding either) Perhaps if you just cooked
> English food, David would eat everything you make? ;-)

You make a valid point, although he does like most Italian food that
I make. There was nothing at the B&B he turned down! One thing I
thought was funny was how much lemon curd he would eat at tea. I
have made lemon curd numerous times at home and he wouldn't even
taste it. :-) I've made some since then and now he will eat it!

He would never eat Yorkshire Pudding at home, but he loved it there.
I'm sure he'll now eat it at home.

I guess I'll be cooking more English food now that he's been exposed
to it "officially". :-)

Wayne Boatwright

===

LOL I was just joking I know you make food that he likes apart from what
you like to cook for yourself)

It just occurred to me that it might make life a bit easier)

Interesting he is so taken with our food though) Much of it seems much
more plain than the recipes shared here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question of
> > > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> > concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> > plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat
> > the
> > spaghetti
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That's okay, I'll accept anything that you eat between the hours of 6 to 10 as an English breakfast. I mean, who's going to know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
> >salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
> >don't like their sauces.

> Aren't you a difficult little man.

I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 1:33:48 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 1:11:04 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > As it goes, we ain't like people on the mainland. You only believe
> > > that to be the case.

> > Maybe, but take a good look. Hawaii is special but so is New Orleans
> > and other parts of the USA.
> >
> > --

> I'm well aware that New Orleans' cultural history differs from most parts of the country. OTOH, NOLA is not a state and the most common last name in the state of LA would be Williams, Smith, and Johnson. The most common last name in HA is Lee, Wong, and Kim.
>
> Some people might feel threatened by a state that's so culturally different from the rest of the US. I think it's silly to be so defensive. As I have said before, we're different but have made no claims about being superior or better. I mean, I ain't stupid.

Personally, I'd be happy letting y'all leave the union. Best of luck.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > What cultural discard are you referring to? Would it be the question
> > > of
> > > macaroni salad and rice being a proper meal, or that $13 would be an
> > > acceptable price if it included a one ounce piece of fish?

> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a tough
> > concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to swallow is a $13
> > plate with 1 oz of fish.
> >
> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...hetti_chix.jpg
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only able to eat
> > the
> > spaghetti
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>
> ==
>
> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That's okay, I'll accept anything that you eat between the hours of 6 to 10
as an English breakfast. I mean, who's going to know?

==

I promise not to tell ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

Oh, I know you were, and you know how I cook. :-)

> It just occurred to me that it might make life a bit easier)

It would indeed. It never occurred to me how much David would like
so much of English cooking. Since I do as well, I could make one
meal that we both we both would enjoy. I will still make some of my
own favorites, of course.

> Interesting he is so taken with our food though) Much of it
> seems much more plain than the recipes shared here.

Well, really the fact that it is much more plain is what he likes
about most foods. A good example is the chili he likes. It is so
plain it could hardly be recognized as chili. I will always make two
versions of chili. The same as meat sauce for pasta. The version he
likes is practically devoid of seasoning. I makea two versions of
that too.

David's mother was Slovenian, but according to him her cooking was
very plain.

You can see the direction that things are taking now. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

I can indeed) Incidentally I use a lot of seasoning, but I am very picky
about it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
> >salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
> >don't like their sauces.

> Aren't you a difficult little man.

I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.

Cindy Hamilton

===

I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
given some.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full English
> breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking that the black
> pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed down every morsel. I
> never did care for black pudding, so that was the nly omission. The
> wife had very deft hands in the kitchen! As pickly as David usually
> is, there wasn't a thing we ate during the entire stay that he didn't
> eat.

Sounds like he is at least willing to try new things -
- especially something traditional from another county

I have a good friend that grew in England (Manchester) and he
told me some '
of the ingredients for the "traditional" English breakfast. He
did say
though that not many people there did that but it was a
traditional
breakfast at diners and Pubs.

The odd thing to me was the addition of baked beans but it really
did
go with the meal.
I made some of it and it was good
I had:
- fried bacon
- two eggs over easy cooked in the bacon grease
- a slice of white bread also toasted in the pan with bacon
grease.
- little bit of hash browns
- a couple of thick slices of tomato fried in pan
- and, of course, the baked beans.

I only made that once but it was pretty tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full English
> > breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking that the black
> > pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed down every morsel. I
> > never did care for black pudding, so that was the nly omission. The
> > wife had very deft hands in the kitchen! As pickly as David usually
> > is, there wasn't a thing we ate during the entire stay that he didn't
> > eat.

> Sounds like he is at least willing to try new things -
> - especially something traditional from another county
>
> I have a good friend that grew in England (Manchester) and he
> told me some '
> of the ingredients for the "traditional" English breakfast. He
> did say
> though that not many people there did that but it was a
> traditional
> breakfast at diners and Pubs.
>
> The odd thing to me was the addition of baked beans but it really
> did
> go with the meal.
> I made some of it and it was good
> I had:
> - fried bacon
> - two eggs over easy cooked in the bacon grease
> - a slice of white bread also toasted in the pan with bacon
> grease.
> - little bit of hash browns
> - a couple of thick slices of tomato fried in pan
> - and, of course, the baked beans.
>
> I only made that once but it was pretty tasty.

That's only half a breakfast. You missed out the pork sausages,
mushrooms and black pudding, and the porridge and toast and marmalade.
Those should be halved tomatoes btw not sliced.

Hash browns and baked beans are both newbie foreign invaders from an
ex-colony. I don't serve either at breakfast.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 03:37:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>> >That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
>> >salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
>> >don't like their sauces.

>> Aren't you a difficult little man.

>I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
>tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.

You must go to bad restaurants and keep going back to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:06:26 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> >
>> > It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full English
>> > breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking that the black
>> > pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed down every morsel. I
>> > never did care for black pudding, so that was the nly omission. The
>> > wife had very deft hands in the kitchen! As pickly as David usually
>> > is, there wasn't a thing we ate during the entire stay that he didn't
>> > eat.

>> Sounds like he is at least willing to try new things -
>> - especially something traditional from another county
>>
>> I have a good friend that grew in England (Manchester) and he
>> told me some '
>> of the ingredients for the "traditional" English breakfast. He
>> did say
>> though that not many people there did that but it was a
>> traditional
>> breakfast at diners and Pubs.
>>
>> The odd thing to me was the addition of baked beans but it really
>> did
>> go with the meal.
>> I made some of it and it was good
>> I had:
>> - fried bacon
>> - two eggs over easy cooked in the bacon grease
>> - a slice of white bread also toasted in the pan with bacon
>> grease.
>> - little bit of hash browns
>> - a couple of thick slices of tomato fried in pan
>> - and, of course, the baked beans.
>>
>> I only made that once but it was pretty tasty.

> That's only half a breakfast. You missed out the pork sausages,
>mushrooms and black pudding, and the porridge and toast and marmalade.

I guess y'all have a death wish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> That's only half a breakfast. You missed out the pork sausages,
> mushrooms and black pudding, and the porridge and toast and marmalade.
> Those should be halved tomatoes btw not sliced.

I knew about the halved tomatoes. I sliced a half in 3 parts just
to get more fry taste on them. My change.

> Hash browns and baked beans are both newbie foreign invaders from an
> ex-colony. I don't serve either at breakfast.

Well... maybe not originally traditional but they both are a
great addition to the meal. Especially the baked beans. That
is what perked my interest in the first place. Sounded so odd
but they really did go well with the rest of the meal.

Question: what ex-colony came up with them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 7:16:31 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 03:37:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> >> Aren't you a difficult little man.

> >I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> >tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.

> You must go to bad restaurants and keep going back to them.

Not just restaurants, also in people's homes.

If I get sweet spaghetti sauce in a restaurant, I either don't

Sugar is also a problem in tomato-based soups and in many
salad dressings. Not just in crappy restaurants, either.
It's what Americans (by and large) are used to.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-25 4:13 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Sounds wonderful As for that breakfast, I doubt I could even
>> eat all that for dinner, let alone breakfast)
>>

> It really was wondeful. David didn't really know what a full English
> breakfast was until I explained it. Apart from asking that the black
> pudding be left off both our plates, we scarfed down every morsel. I
> never did care for black pudding, so that was the nly omission. The
> wife had very deft hands in the kitchen! As pickly as David usually
> is, there wasn't a thing we ate during the entire stay that he didn't
> eat.

When my son was 20 he worked in Africa for a while and on his way back
home he had to fly by way of London and had a choice of an 8 hour or a
four day layover there. It was near Christmas so I offered to pay for
him to stay for the four days. He fell in love with the full English
breakfast. If he is off work on Sundays he often comes by for brunch and
cooks us. He will cook bacon, bangers, peameal, eggs, beans and home
fries. He doesn't bother with the black pudding, and that is fine by me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 03:49:11a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>

> Oh, I know you were, and you know how I cook. :-)
>
>> It just occurred to me that it might make life a bit easier)

> It would indeed. It never occurred to me how much David would
> like so much of English cooking. Since I do as well, I could make
> one meal that we both we both would enjoy. I will still make some
> of my own favorites, of course.
>
>> Interesting he is so taken with our food though) Much of it
>> seems much more plain than the recipes shared here.

> Well, really the fact that it is much more plain is what he likes
> about most foods. A good example is the chili he likes. It is so
> plain it could hardly be recognized as chili. I will always make
> two versions of chili. The same as meat sauce for pasta. The
> version he likes is practically devoid of seasoning. I makea two
> versions of that too.
>
> David's mother was Slovenian, but according to him her cooking was
> very plain.
>
> You can see the direction that things are taking now. :-)
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> I can indeed) Incidentally I use a lot of seasoning, but I am
> very picky about it

Even with a lot of seasoning, the right choices can still produce a
subtle flavor. I think it was Julia Child who said something like,
"if you can taste a dominance in seasoning, then you have failed in
the proper flavoring of a dish".

Wayne Boatwright

==

I would agree with that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 03:49:05a, Ophelia told us...

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:37:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "dsi1" wrote in message

>> > The idea of two scoops of rice with a mac salad on a plate is a
>> > tough concept to swallow for mainlanders. What I find hard to
>> > swallow is a $13 plate with 1 oz of fish.
>> >
>> > http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...theday/zippys_
>> > spaghetti_chix.jpg
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > It looks pretty good to me although I could probably be only
>> > able to eat the spaghetti
>> >

>> > --
>> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's okay, I'll accept anything that you eat between the hours
> of 6 to 10 as an English breakfast. I mean, who's going to know?
>

> ==
>
> I promise not to tell ;-)

A.M. pr P.M.? Could make a difference. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

I still won't tell ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Even with a lot of seasoning, the right choices can still produce a
> subtle flavor. I think it was Julia Child who said something like,
> "if you can taste a dominance in seasoning, then you have failed in
> the proper flavoring of a dish".

Last famous words and I agree with her. Very seldom do you want a
dominant seasoning flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:01:55 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017 07:33:48 UTC+2 schrieb dsi1:
>
> > The most common last name in HA is Lee, Wong, and Kim.

> Really? Wong? Not Pa(r)k?
> Wong is pretty common in China, but very rare in Korea.
> (Yes, I do know where you live! ;-)
> In Korea, they say something like if you throw a stone into a crowd,
> you will hit one Lee, Kim or Park at least. ;-)
>
> > Some people might feel threatened by a state that's so culturally
> > different from the rest of the US. I think it's silly to be so
> > defensive. As I have said before, we're different but have made no
> > claims about being superior or better. I mean, I ain't stupid.

> It's interesting and just astonishing how open and nice everyone reacts
> when Koreans see that a cow-eye at least tries to respect their customs
> and traditions - at least the not so young generation and in the
> countryside!
> I'm pretty sure it's similar to where you live.
> When we travel, we respect and learn about the culture where we visit.
> Otherwise, we could just stay at home!
> We sleep in decent, but simple motels (very affordable!) and eat where the
> resident population eats. In Seoul, just follow all the white collars
> around noon. They know where the good places are! Wait a few minutes
> until the place you chose empties a bit (Koreans are very fast!), take a
> seat (preferably not alone when you go there in the evening), enjoy.
> OK - it helps to be able to read Hangul (easy) to read the card and
> understand enough Korean to order the right thing... ;-)
> Some places have pictures of the food, too; but that's not too helpful. ;-)
> There are guides available who will accompany you for free to brush up
> their spoken English. We don't need them - my husband speaks Korean pretty
> fluently, and my Korean is good enough for shopping, eating out etc. and
> following conversations mostly.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

The Chinese were the one of the earliest immigrants to Hawaii. Mostly the Chinese males took on the Hawaiian females as partners. The product of this co-mingling resulted in the most largest and most prosperous of the population of Hawaii - the Hawaiian Chinese. Later would come waves of Japanese, Koreans, Filipinos, and the Samoans and others from the Pacific isles.

The Koreans didn't really reach prominence in Hawaii until the mid-sixties but they have exploded over here as well as the mainland since then.

My wife was raised by a Korean stepmom. Her actual mom died in a most awful car crash in Montana. My wife and I have never been to Korea. Hopefully, we can one day. I can't imagine that we would have gone there with my mother-in-law while she was still alive. Her past in Korea was so dark, awful, and tragic, that it probably would have been impossible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 07:08:11a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Tue 25 Jul 2017 03:49:05a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:05:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Compared to an English breakfast, it's simple and light.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I can't remember when I last had an English Breakfast
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> That's okay, I'll accept anything that you eat between the hours
>> of 6 to 10 as an English breakfast. I mean, who's going to know?
>>

>> ==
>>
>> I promise not to tell ;-)
>>

> A.M. pr P.M.? Could make a difference. :-)
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> I still won't tell ... ;-)

Good thing we're not the Gestapo! ;-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

?? Are you sure?

Hmm I've had my suspicions for a while! I won't even repeat what MrD said!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:49:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:

> > >That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
> > >salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
> > >don't like their sauces.

> > Aren't you a difficult little man.

> I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
> given some.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Asians just love to add sugar to their savory dishes - sometimes excessively so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:49:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:

> > >That would work out well. I would only eat the meat and the macaroni
> > >salad. :-) I never eat spaghetti in a restaurant, as I generally
> > >don't like their sauces.

> > Aren't you a difficult little man.

> I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
> given some.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Asians just love to add sugar to their savory dishes - sometimes excessively
so.

==

Oh

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 12:45:56p, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Tue 25 Jul 2017 07:08:11a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.44...
>>
>> On Tue 25 Jul 2017 03:49:05a, Ophelia told us...

>>> That's okay, I'll accept anything that you eat between the hours
>>> of 6 to 10 as an English breakfast. I mean, who's going to know?
>>>

>>> ==
>>>
>>> I promise not to tell ;-)
>>>

>> A.M. pr P.M.? Could make a difference. :-)
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I still won't tell ... ;-)
>>

> Good thing we're not the Gestapo! ;-)
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> ?? Are you sure?
>
> Hmm I've had my suspicions for a while! I won't even repeat what
> MrD said!!!

I'm sure that I'm not the Gestapo, but I can't speak for certain
others.

Wayne Boatwright

==

If you are sure ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Tue 25 Jul 2017 01:22:08p, Ophelia told us...

Oh yes, I'm quite sure! :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

LOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:49:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> > > Aren't you a difficult little man.

> > I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> > tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
> > given some.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Asians just love to add sugar to their savory dishes - sometimes excessively
> so.
>
> ==
>
> Oh
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

We don't have much in the way of desserts so we have to do it that way. Filipino spaghetti sauce is so disturbingly sweet that it's unlikely that any American or Brit would approve. It would probably be fatal to Italians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-c1oKMJOg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:49:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:06:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> > > Aren't you a difficult little man.

> > I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> > tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
> > given some.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Asians just love to add sugar to their savory dishes - sometimes
> excessively
> so.
>
> ==
>
> Oh
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

We don't have much in the way of desserts so we have to do it that way.
Filipino spaghetti sauce is so disturbingly sweet that it's unlikely that
any American or Brit would approve. It would probably be fatal to Italians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-c1oKMJOg

==

Good grief lol If that was what I had to eat, I would starve to death))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.45...

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 01:16:53a, Ophelia told us...

> "dsi1" wrote in message

> We don't have much in the way of desserts so we have to do it that
> way. Filipino spaghetti sauce is so disturbingly sweet that it's
> unlikely that any American or Brit would approve. It would
> probably be fatal to Italians.
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-c1oKMJOg
>
> ==
>
> Good grief lol If that was what I had to eat, I would starve to
> death))

That's why I have such trouble with spaghetti sauce in restaurants or
jarred versions. They're either too sweet or too acid. The only way
I can get them right is to make it myself.

Wayne Boatwright

==

That's the best I very rarely go to restaurants any more. It is not that
we are not invited, we just don't like it and I prefer to make our food.

I like knowing what is in the food too and they way it is made That is
one of the great things about retirement, I have all the time in the world
to do it) D much prefers it too

Of course it helps that I love to cook <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> That's the best I very rarely go to restaurants any more. It is not that
> we are not invited, we just don't like it and I prefer to make our food.

I've never understood the appeal of eating out at a restaurant.
Food is expensive plus you pay a tip and also the waiter/waitress
wants you to hurry up and eat so they can give your table to the
next person.

My "going to a restaurant" days were only at the request of women
in my life. Also people visiting always want to go to a
restaurant. WTF? Lately, I finally put down my foot and refused.
Restaurant food can be good but I insist we do takeout now and
bring it home and eat at our leisure at my dining room table. No
pressure to hurry up and leave and no tips either.

I live alone now. If you visit me, it's 'my way or the highway'.
I'll cook for you or...
we do restaurant takeout and eat it here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> g.majors says...
> > Well... maybe not originally traditional but they both are a
> > great addition to the meal. Especially the baked beans. That
> > is what perked my interest in the first place. Sounded so odd
> > but they really did go well with the rest of the meal.
> >
> > Question: what ex-colony came up with them?

> America

I doubt that, Janet. I've NEVER heard of Usains eating baked
beans with a breakfast meal but it's always attributed to an
English one. You have quite a few ex-colonies...try again.

Whenever I make a "breakfast for dinner," I usually make 3 eggs
over easy, some potato product (hash browns or just a nuked
potato), sausage or bacon (with a nip of maple syrup on the
meat). And a couple of slices of toasted bread, either rye or
white and 1/4 will have some orange marmalade added. It's my
dessert half slice of bread.

If I want to make a DELUXE breakfast, I will add a stack of thin
pancakes to the plate.

and PS - I should probably add some baked beans to that Deluxe
meal as they surprisingly go well with it all.

Remember too, my british friend from Manchester told me about the
baked beans. He grew up there and I will assume that he knows
what he was talking about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2017 9:28 AM, Gary wrote:

> I've never understood the appeal of eating out at a restaurant.
> Food is expensive plus you pay a tip and also the waiter/waitress
> wants you to hurry up and eat so they can give your table to the
> next person.
>
> My "going to a restaurant" days were only at the request of women
> in my life. Also people visiting always want to go to a
> restaurant. WTF? Lately, I finally put down my foot and refused.
> Restaurant food can be good but I insist we do takeout now and
> bring it home and eat at our leisure at my dining room table. No
> pressure to hurry up and leave and no tips either.
>
> I live alone now. If you visit me, it's 'my way or the highway'.
> I'll cook for you or...
> we do restaurant takeout and eat it here.

I do enjoy eating out at times but we go at the slow times so no rush.

Today, however, I'm cooking. I prefer to spend relaxing time with
friends for conversation. This is birthday week. My wife and a good
friend are a day apart so I treat them to a nice meal.

My friend will be here about 1 PM and I went this morning to get both
ladies flowers. We'll start out with a bottle of proseco, a dip,
stuffed mushrooms.

Once the sun moves around we'll head to the deck. Dinner will be
cornish hens on the grill, sausage and apple stuffing, caprese salad.
sangria made from a bottle of rose.

Yesterday I baked a cake, chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2017 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> g.majors says...
>>> Well... maybe not originally traditional but they both are a
>>> great addition to the meal. Especially the baked beans. That
>>> is what perked my interest in the first place. Sounded so odd
>>> but they really did go well with the rest of the meal.
>>>
>>> Question: what ex-colony came up with them?

>> America

> I doubt that, Janet. I've NEVER heard of Usains eating baked
> beans with a breakfast meal but it's always attributed to an
> English one. You have quite a few ex-colonies...try again.

I've seen them in quite a few places here in New England. Mostly in
older places in the blue collar areas. It was much more common years
ago and was pretty much regional

http://persysplace.com/wp-content/up...t-4-6-2017.pdf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 7/26/2017 9:28 AM, Gary wrote:

> I've never understood the appeal of eating out at a restaurant.
> Food is expensive plus you pay a tip and also the waiter/waitress
> wants you to hurry up and eat so they can give your table to the
> next person.
>
> My "going to a restaurant" days were only at the request of women
> in my life. Also people visiting always want to go to a
> restaurant. WTF? Lately, I finally put down my foot and refused.
> Restaurant food can be good but I insist we do takeout now and
> bring it home and eat at our leisure at my dining room table. No
> pressure to hurry up and leave and no tips either.
>
> I live alone now. If you visit me, it's 'my way or the highway'.
> I'll cook for you or...
> we do restaurant takeout and eat it here.

I do enjoy eating out at times but we go at the slow times so no rush.

Today, however, I'm cooking. I prefer to spend relaxing time with
friends for conversation. This is birthday week. My wife and a good
friend are a day apart so I treat them to a nice meal.

My friend will be here about 1 PM and I went this morning to get both
ladies flowers. We'll start out with a bottle of proseco, a dip,
stuffed mushrooms.

Once the sun moves around we'll head to the deck. Dinner will be
cornish hens on the grill, sausage and apple stuffing, caprese salad.
sangria made from a bottle of rose.

Yesterday I baked a cake, chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting.

==

Lucky ladies

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> Today, however, I'm cooking. I prefer to spend relaxing time with friends
> for conversation. This is birthday week. My wife and a good friend are a
> day apart so I treat them to a nice meal.
>
> My friend will be here about 1 PM and I went this morning to get both
> ladies flowers. We'll start out with a bottle of proseco, a dip, stuffed
> mushrooms.
>
> Once the sun moves around we'll head to the deck. Dinner will be cornish
> hens on the grill, sausage and apple stuffing, caprese salad. sangria made
> from a bottle of rose.
>
> Yesterday I baked a cake, chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting.

Sounds like a lovely time and a great menu.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-25, Janet > wrote:

> That's only half a breakfast. You missed out the pork sausages,
> mushrooms and black pudding, and the porridge and toast and marmalade.
> Those should be halved tomatoes btw not sliced.
>
> Hash browns and baked beans are both newbie foreign invaders from an
> ex-colony. I don't serve either at breakfast.

Nor should you!

Lost Colony breaky, hash-browns, bacon, eggs, n' toast, is all "happy" meal
fodder.

Black pudding!? Sounds more like a Halloween gag rather than a
morning staple. Who wants to start the morning on a "black" note?
Also, what is it with you Limey's who think marmalade actually tastes
good? I think it tastes like Drumpf in a jar! "Sad"

</pointless-morning-rant>

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 9:27:01 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > That's the best I very rarely go to restaurants any more. It is not that
> > we are not invited, we just don't like it and I prefer to make our food.

> I've never understood the appeal of eating out at a restaurant.

I can get food that I cannot practicably cook at home.
I can get food from cuisines in which I am not an expert.
Someone brings me the food and I don't have to lift a finger
to cook or to clean.
I don't have to decide until the last minute what to have,
nor to plan in advance to ensure that what I want is ready.
I can go out with friends and nobody has to cook or clean.

> Food is expensive plus you pay a tip and also the waiter/waitress
> wants you to hurry up and eat so they can give your table to the
> next person.

If you feel pressured to hurry up and eat, that's about you.
The server can just wait until I'm done.

It's not always about saving money, or we'd all just stay home
eating beans and rice.

> My "going to a restaurant" days were only at the request of women
> in my life. Also people visiting always want to go to a
> restaurant. WTF? Lately, I finally put down my foot and refused.
> Restaurant food can be good but I insist we do takeout now and
> bring it home and eat at our leisure at my dining room table. No
> pressure to hurry up and leave and no tips either.
>
> I live alone now. If you visit me, it's 'my way or the highway'.
> I'll cook for you or...
> we do restaurant takeout and eat it here.

Your house, your rules.

Not all food survives travel. Tempura comes to mind, as does
boxing up perfectly cooked vegetables and letting them overcook
in their carryover heat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2017 11:36 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>
>> Today, however, I'm cooking. I prefer to spend relaxing time with
>> friends for conversation. This is birthday week. My wife and a good
>> friend are a day apart so I treat them to a nice meal.
>>
>> My friend will be here about 1 PM and I went this morning to get both
>> ladies flowers. We'll start out with a bottle of proseco, a dip,
>> stuffed mushrooms.
>>
>> Once the sun moves around we'll head to the deck. Dinner will be
>> cornish hens on the grill, sausage and apple stuffing, caprese salad.
>> sangria made from a bottle of rose.
>>
>> Yesterday I baked a cake, chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting.

> Sounds like a lovely time and a great menu.
>
> Cheri

Should be. Sue and I became friends as we worked together for 25 years.
We both retired within a few weeks too. We get together every couple
of weeks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 10:17:21 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:49:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I agree with Wayne. If I had a nickel for every spaghetti sauce I've
> > > tasted that had too much sugar in it, I could retire early.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > I don't put sugar in my (savoury) sauces. It would put me off if I were
> > > given some.
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > Asians just love to add sugar to their savory dishes - sometimes
> > excessively
> > so.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> We don't have much in the way of desserts so we have to do it that way.
> Filipino spaghetti sauce is so disturbingly sweet that it's unlikely that
> any American or Brit would approve. It would probably be fatal to Italians.
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-c1oKMJOg
>
> ==
>
> Good grief lol If that was what I had to eat, I would starve to death))
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I was standing in front of a Jollibee yesterday, fixin' to get a spaghetti plate. I chickened out and got a bulgogi/poke plate from another place. I requested extra crispy garlic chips on the meat because that's just wonderful stuff. The poke has a wasabi shoyu sauce on it. Most folks would probably get the poke with dynamite sauce but there's just so much dynamite sauce one can eat in a lifetime and I've probably reached mine.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...SmHNj4xeqAsaUM