Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight. Steak & Potatoes 2/25/17

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 9:07:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 5/29/2017 5:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > I never cared for any kind of soup when I was growing up whether it
> > was canned or homemade. Although as an adult I make a variety of
> > soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made with milk,
> > and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-)

> I like the Campbell's Tomato soup, made with milk, also to accompany a
> couple of grilled cheese sandwiches.
>
> Try this sometime.... Campbells Tomato soup made with water and add in
> one chopped fresh garden tomato and some ground pepper. It's pretty good
> and the fresh tomato adds a nice fresh flavor.

Here's my quick tomato soup:

minced onion and garlic, sweated in a little olive oil
1 can tomato puree
an equal volume of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
simmer for a short while

Zero sugar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 1:20 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" wrote:

[talking about pickles in potato salad]

>> Well, I've never had that species. Knowing me though, I would probably
>> like it well enough.

> If you've ever had potato salad from KFC, you've had it.

Well there you go. I've never had KFC potato salad. They didn't sell it
when I worked for them the summer of 1971. Back then is was strictly
original chicken, mashed potatoes + gravy, cole slaw and a soft dinner
roll. That's it.

In the past 25 years or so, I've only gone there one time. Had a good
coupon for buy one, get one. It was a thigh, a drum, one side and their
worthless bisquits.

I got 2 drums, 2 thighs, a small mashed potato/gravy side and a coleslaw
side....then got 2 worthless bisquits. With tax it cost about $6 or so.
It was good!

Their old soft dinner rolls were much better than the biscuits though, imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>These days all my relish goes on my hotdogs.

I like sweet pickle relish on hotdogs too but I first mix some with
Gulden's Spicy Brown... good on a ham and cheese sandwich too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 02:11:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
>>> potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
>>> Whip.
>>>
>>> One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
>>> teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
>>> I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
>>> closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
>>> relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
>> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

>Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me.

snip
Fresh vegetables by themselves taste sweet. You have to be careful
when making soup to not put too much carrot in unless you over sweeten
soup. Onions are sweet. So are celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash,
parsley and basil, etc.

It could be the drugs you are taking that are making you oversensitive
to sweetness.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 9:29:18 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 5/28/2017 1:20 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > "Gary" wrote:

> [talking about pickles in potato salad]
>
> >> Well, I've never had that species. Knowing me though, I would probably
> >> like it well enough.

> > If you've ever had potato salad from KFC, you've had it.

> Well there you go. I've never had KFC potato salad.

Most grocery-store deli potato salad is sadly similar.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 10:30:29 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 02:11:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
> >> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

> >Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me.

> snip
> Fresh vegetables by themselves taste sweet. You have to be careful
> when making soup to not put too much carrot in unless you over sweeten
> soup. Onions are sweet. So are celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash,
> parsley and basil, etc.
>
> It could be the drugs you are taking that are making you oversensitive
> to sweetness.
> Janet US

Or it could be the high-fructose corn syrup. The vegetable soup
lists sugar among its components. The chicken noodle soup has
sugar. More sugar by weight than dehydrated onions.

For crying out loud. I can see sugar in tomato soup if the average
person doesn't like tartness, but why in chicken noodle soup?
It's insane.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 10:30 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 02:11:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me.

> snip
> Fresh vegetables by themselves taste sweet. You have to be careful
> when making soup to not put too much carrot in unless you over sweeten
> soup. Onions are sweet.

Some onions. Not all of them are sweet. I don't find celery to be
sweet, or cucumbers. But carrots, absolutely.

Winter squashes are naturally sweet. I never add anything more than S&P
and butter when roasting them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/29/2017 5:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > I never cared for any kind of soup when I was growing up whether it
> > was canned or homemade. Although as an adult I make a variety of
> > soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made with
> > milk, and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-)

> I like the Campbell's Tomato soup, made with milk, also to accompany
> a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches.
>
> Try this sometime.... Campbells Tomato soup made with water and add
> in one chopped fresh garden tomato and some ground pepper. It's
> pretty good and the fresh tomato adds a nice fresh flavor.

I've never been a big fan of tomato soup but they have/had a line of a
sort of itailian one with basil and I think, oregano?

THats the one line that can taste a bit sweet (the tomato line).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Mon 29 May 2017 02:11:14a, Julie Bove told us...

>>> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet
>>> one. Maybe it's a type we do not get?

>> Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me. Not that I eat a
>> lot of it. The tomato is the worst. So bad, I couldn't finish the
>> cup of it. Once in a while I have the bean with bacon. It is sweet
>> and I like what I make better. Sometimes I have the beef with
>> barley. It's not really sweet. I recently tried the chicken with
>> rice. Was not good at all.
>>
>> I don't know if Campbell's changed their recipes or what. We did
>> eat a lot of the stuff when I was a kid. My mom was big into
>> feeding us soup, even though she doesn't like it herself. I don't
>> recall eating the tomato as a child. She always said it was for my
>> dad. I mostly ate the bean with bacon, vegetarian vegetable or
>> beef with barely back then. Sometimes the Scotch broth. I think
>> that is no longer being made. Sometimes some kind of gumbo. And
>> not necessarily by choice, some kind of chicken. Either the noodle
>> or the rice. My brother loved the chicken and dumplings so I
>> always cringed when I had to have that. I knew how to make good
>> dumplings. Those pathetic little things were just chewy and
>> starchy. Blech.
>>
>> Anyway... None of their soups now remind me of what I ate as a
>> child, except perhaps for the cream ones which I only use in
>> casseroles or other dishes. Never eaten as soup.
>>
>> Maybe it's just what I'm used to. The only soup I can recall my
>> mom making from scratch was navy bean. I liked that except for
>> the ham in it. Hate ham. If I make it now, I use bacon instead. I
>> also liked ordering soup in restaurants and most of the time it
>> tasted different and better than Campbell's. But seeing as how we
>> had the Campbell's a lot at home, I just accepted it and got used
>> to it. Then when I began making my own soup, I preferred it very
>> much to anything from a can or box.
>>
>> Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing.
>> I can have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to
>> finish it. Or when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and
>> fix something better.
>>

> I never cared for any kind of soup when I was growing up whether it
> was canned or homemade. Although as an adult I make a variety of
> soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made with milk,
> and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-) There is a certain sweeness
> about it, but I don't mind it. In a pinch I will also pick up a can
> of their Beef Barley Soup. It's not too bad.
>
> When I make soup at home I make large enough batches that I can
> freeze a dozen or so inividual servings. It's really handy if you're
> in a hurry or don't feel like cooking.

I don't like freezing soup. The times I tried, it got lost in the freezer
and never got eaten. The only thing I will make and freeze is meatloaf.
Because I put tons of veggies in mine, I wind up with more than we can eat
in a couple of days. I used to freeze cooked chicken and taco meat but I
rarely ever do that any more either. Has probably been a couple of years
since I did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 29-May-2017, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/2017 5:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > I never cared for any kind of soup when I was growing up whether it
>> > was canned or homemade. Although as an adult I make a variety of
>> > soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made with milk,
>> > and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-)

>> I like the Campbell's Tomato soup, made with milk, also to accompany a
>> couple of grilled cheese sandwiches.
>>
>> Try this sometime.... Campbells Tomato soup made with water and add in
>> one chopped fresh garden tomato and some ground pepper. It's pretty good
>> and the fresh tomato adds a nice fresh flavor.

> I've never cared much for canned soup of any variety, nor tomato soup,
> canned or otherwise. However, there are one or two exceptions to the
> tomato; one exception of Cream of Smoked Tomato soup, something I had a
> Capital Grille in Charlotte NC and eventually duplicated at home. The
> second exception, if one considers it a soup, is gazpacho, which is so
> refreshing on a hot summer day.

I've tried gazpacho many times and didn't like it. But I got some in a
bottle last year and it was really good. Even when I have made it from
scratch, I hated it and I tried several different recipes. I like all that
goes in it. Just didn't like the finished result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> [...]

> from scratch was navy bean. I liked that except for the ham in it. Hate
> ham. If I make it now, I use bacon instead. I also liked ordering soup in
> restaurants and most of the time it tasted different and better than
> Campbell's. But seeing as how we had the Campbell's a lot at home, I just
> accepted it and got used to it. Then when I began making my own soup, I
> preferred it very much to anything from a can or box.
>
> Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing. I can
> have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to finish it. Or
> when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and fix something better.
>
> ==
>
> Pretty much the same here. I can't remember the last time I had canned
> soup.
>
> We don't have soup much but I do make it myself if we do. I do have some

I love a good soup but I'm the only one in the house who does. The others
might eat it when sick but that's about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news

> Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing. I can
> have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to finish it. Or
> when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and fix something better.
>
> ==
>
> Pretty much the same here. I can't remember the last time I had canned
> soup.
>
> We don't have soup much but I do make it myself if we do. I do have some
> in my store though for emergencies.

I love a good soup but I'm the only one in the house who does. The others
might eat it when sick but that's about it.

==

If you enjoy then it is worth making for you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Tue 30 May 2017 03:23:43a, Julie Bove told us...

> [...]

>> of soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made
>> with milk, and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-) There is a
>> certain sweeness about it, but I don't mind it. In a pinch I
>> will also pick up a can of their Beef Barley Soup. It's not too
>> bad.
>>
>> When I make soup at home I make large enough batches that I can
>> freeze a dozen or so inividual servings. It's really handy if
>> you're in a hurry or don't feel like cooking.

> I don't like freezing soup. The times I tried, it got lost in the
> freezer and never got eaten. The only thing I will make and freeze
> is meatloaf. Because I put tons of veggies in mine, I wind up with
> more than we can eat in a couple of days. I used to freeze cooked
> chicken and taco meat but I rarely ever do that any more either.
> Has probably been a couple of years since I did.

We have two freezers. One contains mostly things that we buy, either
already frozen or fresh and rewrapped for the freezer. That includes
vegetables, fruits, meats, ice cream, etc. The other freezer
contains mostlyu things I have cooked and frozen, usualy in portions.
In both cases, containers are all labeled and organized together. I
use removable printer labels that are easy to remove after the food
has been removed. I guess we have a "system", as we never seem to
lose or overlook things. I guess another advantages is that neither
freezer is a chest freezer so we don't have dig down to find
something.

Wayne Boatwright

==

I have a large chest freezer and yes, that can be a problem. When we return
home we will be getting a large upright for exactly the things you describe.
I am not short of freezer space, I have an under counter one and a travel
freezer too. I decided on a new one when I was off my feet recently. I
intend to fill it with cooked or prepped foods so that D doesn't have to
worry about feeding us if I am out of action again )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2017 9:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> We have two freezers. One contains mostly things that we buy, either
> already frozen or fresh and rewrapped for the freezer. That includes
> vegetables, fruits, meats, ice cream, etc. The other freezer
> contains mostlyu things I have cooked and frozen, usualy in portions.
> In both cases, containers are all labeled and organized together. I
> use removable printer labels that are easy to remove after the food
> has been removed. I guess we have a "system", as we never seem to
> lose or overlook things. I guess another advantages is that neither
> freezer is a chest freezer so we don't have dig down to find
> something.

I have one freezer and it's an upright. I can imagine things might get
"lost" in a chest type freezer. I keep mine fairly well organized and
everything has a label and a date. I tend to rotate the items, FIFO.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news

>> Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing. I can
>> have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to finish it. Or
>> when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and fix something better.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Pretty much the same here. I can't remember the last time I had canned
>> soup.
>>
>> We don't have soup much but I do make it myself if we do. I do have some
>> in my store though for emergencies.

> I love a good soup but I'm the only one in the house who does. The others
> might eat it when sick but that's about it.
>
> ==
>
> If you enjoy then it is worth making for you

Yep.